The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 10th, 2012, 10:02 AM
mondays suck
:)

Just watched the first half of the joke game India vs Bayern München, right now Bayern is leading 0:4 without the slightest signs of effort. I would watch the rest since it's fun, but unfortunately don#t have the time.
Old January 12th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Well it was the 1st leg of the Carling Cup Semi-Final.
Liverpool 1 - 0 Manchester city.

To be honest, it was a boring match at best. City were shockingly bad, Liverpool simply scored one from the penalty spot and then did nothing.

More interestingly, I said to everyone of my friends that come Christmas and January, City would start to fall...
Old January 12th, 2012, 07:21 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
I should post here more often than, what, once half a year? =p

Anyone follow the A-league? (ie Australians as I doubt anyone else follows our league). I do (Central Coast is my location so naturally I follow them. We're also winning atm. =D)

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old January 13th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Went
The Seed Pokémon

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
So, the Spanish Cup has already hit the quarterfinals... we'll have two more Clásicos (next two Wednesdays, at 10 PM). I'm personaly rooting for Mirandés, a 3rd division team that have managed to make it this far defeating Villarreal and Racing Santander on their way, specially thanks to their star, Pablo Infante, a banker who works in a savings bank in the morning and plays football in the evening, and is currently the top scorer in the Cup this season XD
Old January 14th, 2012, 07:44 PM
2Cool4Mewtwo
Pwning in Ubers since 1996.

Nature: Rash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fabio View Post
Well it was the 1st leg of the Carling Cup Semi-Final.
Liverpool 1 - 0 Manchester city.

To be honest, it was a boring match at best. City were shockingly bad, Liverpool simply scored one from the penalty spot and then did nothing.

More interestingly, I said to everyone of my friends that come Christmas and January, City would start to fall...
Since somebody else in this forum actually cares about English football (Yay :D), I'll just comment on those two teams. (which are both our deep-seated rivals)

Although Manchester City has started out brilliantly this season, their quality seemed to decline over the past month or two. They don't look the side that has been scoring 3-5 goals per game anymore.

Liverpool have been consistently average this season. Most of their signings have been useless so far (Downing & Carroll for 55 million quids... what a waste of money). Their defense has been pretty good in general, though. That being said, we still have to be careful when we play them soon in PL and FA Cup, though. They seem to always raise their game against us.

I also watched Man Utd vs. Bolton today. Still can't believe that Scholes is playing for us... :') (and I jumped like crazy too when he scored his first league goal for us in 17 months!)

P.S. - I'm predicting a 1-1 draw for Arsenal away next week.

Old January 15th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Crystalized
Waiting For RSE Remake

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
Anyone follow the A-league?)
I do, and I support Perth Glory. We start red hot, fall, and then may come back later. We beat Heart 2-1 today, and we are in the top 6 now.
Old January 15th, 2012, 04:35 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Oh hey someone actually does! My expectations are exceeded. =p

Good on you for beating Heart, gives is a bit more breathing space with them. We need to play better than we did yesterday though...

Oh, and can you guys take McBreen back? Please? ;_;

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old January 15th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Martins

Nature: Adamant
Liverpool are now 7th after a narrow Newcastle win over QPR today. Good.

I have a question: do you guys think that Kompany deserved a red card against United in the cup clash? And if so, doesn't Glenn deserve that same card for a similar two-foot challenge on Lescott also in a cup (FA) clash?

People are saying that hadn't Nani jumped upon Kompany's tackle, he would have been seriously injured, so a red card is deserved. I agree to an extent. By that logic, had Lescott been a little faster, or even reached the point before Glenn, he as well would have been seriously injured. However, Liverpool fans I know are perpetually neglecting Glenn's tackle. That tackle was a blatant red card no matter how you perceive the situation. I'm guessing Rooney's exaggerating attempt to force out a card from the referee might have helped in Kompany's dismissal; nevertheless, City can be considered 'cheated out' of the cup. They actually were the better team overall, both in United's and Liverpool's games.

Last edited by Martins; January 15th, 2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:50 AM
2Cool4Mewtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins View Post
Liverpool are now 7th after a narrow Newcastle win over QPR today. Good.

I have a question: do you guys think that Kompany deserved a red card against United in the cup clash? And if so, doesn't Glenn deserve that same card for a similar two-foot challenge on Lescott also in a cup (FA) clash?

People are saying that hadn't Nani jumped upon Kompany's tackle, he would have been seriously injured, so a red card is deserved. I agree to an extent. By that logic, had Lescott been a little faster, or even reached the point before Glenn, he as well would have been seriously injured. However, Liverpool fans I know are perpetually neglecting Glenn's tackle. That tackle was a blatant red card no matter how you perceive the situation. I'm guessing Rooney's exaggerating attempt to force out a card from the referee might have helped in Kompany's dismissal; nevertheless, City can be considered 'cheated out' of the cup. They actually were the better team overall, both in United's and Liverpool's games.
2 footed tackle, off the ground, studs showing = Red card.

I haven't watched City vs 'pool, but I'd imagine it was a very boring game with City having just a bit more quality but were unable to convert those into clear cut chances.

Last edited by 2Cool4Mewtwo; January 15th, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Nuke

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Cool4Mewtwo View Post
[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Metrophobic"]Since somebody else in this forum actually cares about English football (Yay :D), I'll just comment on those two teams. (which are both our deep-seated rivals)
I always comment on English football. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalized View Post
I do, and I support Perth Glory. We start red hot, fall, and then may come back later. We beat Heart 2-1 today, and we are in the top 6 now.
SHANE SMELTZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ that is all.

Locally to me like I usually post, Boro have signed Jutkiewicz which should help a challenge to get back in the premiership.

But more importantly, Darlington are very close to dropping out of existence. They sacked all the players earlier today and it's looking unlikely that they'll survive much longer.
Old January 16th, 2012, 04:31 PM
2Cool4Mewtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
I always comment on English football.
Oh, maybe I just don't see it...

In other news, Gary Cahill has finally moved into Chelsea... I wonder how well he'll partner with John Terry.

As for top 4, I think it'll be Man Utd/City (1st or 2nd either way), then Tottenham/Chelsea (3rd or 4th either way), if Arsenal fails to earn a point coming sunday.

Old January 17th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Went
The Seed Pokémon

I'm very depressed right now.

In the 85th minute, 3rd division Mirandés was beating Espanyol 0-2 in the Cup Quarterfinals. Then the locals scored the 1-2 with a gigantic offside, and then Mirandés crumbled down to 3-2 in 5 minutes. The referee also denied them a clear-cut penalty >_> It's just the first leg and a 1-0 at home will be enough for them to progress to semis, but... it was an incredibly unfair punishment.
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Inler
Beginning Trainer

I'm not as excited to watch the Clasico as before. Barcelona will win, but then what? People criticize Madrid, Barcelona say they deserve to win, Mourinho blasts the referee, some Madrid player says they were the better team, Mourinho says that there is a second leg and they can win there, Alves complains of the roughness of Madrid players, Messi says nothing, Pep expresses humbleness by saying Madrid are a great side, whatever. I don't get the hype anymore. Maybe it is just me, I don't know, but I'm seriously uninterested in watching the Clasico games anymore, especially how coincidence seems to tie them together in a fixture 4 times or more these couple of years.
Old January 18th, 2012, 05:45 PM
2Cool4Mewtwo

Today's El Clasico truly sucked. It would be a great fixture if there isn't some sort of drama going on all the time. ;_; (It's also not a type of game that I could proudly show to people who don't know soccer)

Pepe in particular has been an absolute nutter. diving and stamping on Messi's hand... (not that I like Messi either, but that doesn't warrant getting his hand stamped). And of course half of Barcelona squad following the referee, biscuits acting like a sissy over the pitch as usual. Funny thing is, I managed to smile when Abidal scored. He's the only guy in barca team that I actually like (maybe aside from Xavi).

Last edited by 2Cool4Mewtwo; January 18th, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Went
The Seed Pokémon

Madrid plan:

- Have 9 guys defending and Ronaldo alone on the side, waiting for a counter
- Wait until you can deflect the ball and hope Ronaldo catches it.
- If this doesn't work, smack everything that moves until the ball is loose again.

Also Pepe should be banned from a pitch, forever. I remember the hilarity of the moment when Cesc brushed him away and he collapsed into the floor, covering his face and rolling around- but when he deliberately stomped on Messi's hand, that should be a ban for so many games.

Anyway, this was the first leg. Now Madrid need a 0-2 score or higher at the Camp Nou- pretty likely, you know. At least Mourinho (miracle!) didn't blame the referee, the weather, the luck or what-have-you- he took the blame himself! Maybe something is changing after all.

Last edited by Went; January 19th, 2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old January 19th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Inler
Beginning Trainer

Madrid's players -- mainly Pepe, Fabio C., and Carvalho -- should have seen red cards. I watched the game out of boredom, but the tackles Madrid committed were just stupid and reckless. As for Pepe's fake acting (which was funny), this happens only once, whereas Bousquets does that every single game he plays in, and I doubt Pepe does this against other teams, lol. I'm still surprised that after so many tackles, Messi still cannot be injured, especially from the tackle from Carvahlo; it was a serious tackle.

Also, we have to consider Madrid's absentees and injured list in this game. Carvalho just came from injury, Di Maria injured, Arbeloa red card, Altintop out of position (thought he performed well), Higauin out of form.

Madrid are out. The Cup final will be between Barcelona and Athletic B.
Old January 19th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Nuke

Nature: Relaxed
There's too many El Clasicos for it to be interesting anymore.

I'd prefer Madrid to win them because I'm sick of Barcelona's style and diving.

Drogba could be joining Anelka in China. It seems the Chinese league has became the super MLS.
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:33 PM
2Cool4Mewtwo

I think Mourinho has changed his ways after supercopa games, which is good.

Pepe was disgraceful and Coentrao & Carvalho were absolutely woeful, but I can't help but hate majority of barcelona squad, especially Boozkets who constantly dives and feigns injuries on the pitch. I'm sick and tired of it.

Old January 19th, 2012, 01:12 PM
mondays suck

Just 18 hours and 19 minutes and the winter break will be over. Finally I will have something to fill my Saturday evenings with again
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Went
The Seed Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
There's too many El Clasicos for it to be interesting anymore.

I'd prefer Madrid to win them because I'm sick of Barcelona's style and diving.
Does Pepe's brain-melting collapse after being slightly brushed aside by Fàbregas in the last match count as 'diving'? Or was it so indescribable that requires a new cathegory? I guess Busquets got a bad name for his action during the Inter Semifinal, but it's hard to say that Barcelona are the divers if you only watch the last two matches, where Madrid decided to do all the theatrics alone.

Anyway, it's in a point when the match is not entertaining because of the football (I have seen Real Betis play an incredibly exciting football against Barça last Sunday- they even came back from 2-0 down at Camp Nou to a draw before Alexis scored the winner), but because of the tension and how Madrid are becoming incresingly desperate to beat Barcelona.

I'm eager to see Mourinho's 10th Clásico starting XI in two years- will he add a couple more of defenders? I'm sure there is still some room for a few more, you can always bench Alonso and Higuaín and play a 8-0-2.
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Don't really like Madrid or Barca, prefer Barca for Messi but that's about it.
----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16610340.stm

Why is Paul Lambert so good?
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:50 AM
2Cool4Mewtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Went View Post
but it's hard to say that Barcelona are the divers if you only watch the last two matches
They don't dive as much now (mind you, they still do if you watch them, but not as dramatic), but have you seen their face-clutching and "writhing around" spree last season against Real Madrid (in CL and copa)? They do have the world's greatest players, but their sportsmanship is horrible.

I'm not defending Real Madrid either, they have their own divers, but Barcelona takes it to a whole new level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lapras- View Post
From what I've seen of Norwich so far this season, I think Lambert is a class manager.

NCFC have surprised me with their promotion last year. Being 7-1 down at home to league one rivals Colchester only two and half years ago and now they're at this level playing against some of the best clubs in the world such as Man Utd, Arsenal... It's a stunning turnaround.

Oh, and I've just watched the bundesliga tables after I heard gladbach beat bayern 3-1... can't believe they're in second place still. I remember last year they've been deep in relegation zone for a long time and they barely survived with relegation playoffs. What happened to them? @_@

Last edited by 2Cool4Mewtwo; January 20th, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old January 21st, 2012, 12:32 AM
mondays suck

Great Game, i watched it live on TV, and it was certainly worth my time. The most important person behind M'gladbach's sudden success is most likely not Reus but trainer Lucien Favre and his tactics. With - I think the last guy was Frontzeck - they had the worst defense of the entire league, now they overtook Bayern and are in the first place in that department. The only real personality change is ter Stegen becoming the #1, and, even though the world cup of 2002 said something different and ter Stegen already among the best with his 19 years, a good keeper alone is not everything. Fascinating how much just a different trainer can change - and with Hertha BSC Berlin, Favre wasn't even too successful.
What really surprises me though is that Gladbach wasn't morally devastated like everyone was expecting because their only real star Reus and key player Neustädter announced that they're leaving very recently.
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:55 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Fernando Torres....Oh wow. His moment of the game was tracking back into his own box to defend. Anyway, first shut out of the season and a "bonus point" for us so I'm pretty happy.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:37 AM
shenanigans
hear me roar

NUIWHVUIEBVUWBVUWBVUOWBVUOW GODDAMN IT BALIOTELLI

Absolutely stole a draw against Man City from us with a penalty AFTER the last minute. He shouldn't have even been on the goddamn pitch for what he tried to do to Scott Parker earlier. |:

Sponsored Links