The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Nuke

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbourne Bubblun View Post
Yes! yes! Yeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss!!! Words cannot describe how pleased I am that City managed to win the title after 2 goals in injury time. I don't really think that Barton was part of the outcome because QPR still scored with 10 men. It's like City did a Lewis Hamilton when he won his first F1 title.
Except Glock completely let Hamilton past. -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbourne Bubblun View Post
Are you kidding? It's brilliant! I'm getting sick of seeing Man United winning the title because it just gets really boring after a while. What a remarkable (and happy) ending to the 20th Season of the Premier League. :D
It's all well and good that someone else won, but it could lead to City's repetitive winning until the Sheikh's money dries up.

I'd much rather Chelsea or Arsenal were challenging.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old May 13th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Mario The World Champion
Slice through the evil, Gundam
Community Supporter

I actually caught the final 30 minutes of the QPR/Man City match and saw they they were tied and then QPR scored that second goal despite being down a man. And after seeing the Rangers defend like they did until 85 minutes in, I thought that City just gave the title to Man United.

So, I decide to go mow my lawn thinking the game was over the United got a freebie. I come back in around 20 minutes later, turn on my TV and I see the celebration City were having due to me missing the two goals they scored in injury time.

Remind me never to leave a game before it is finished.

Banner made by Angela || Pair: Lucy
Friends: Lucy, Angela, Jen, Sammi-san, Jeremy the Sweetie, Signomi
Fanfiction.net page || DeviantART Page || Twitter || NaNoWriMo Page

Ash Ketchum: Formula One Driver
The Pokemon Tower's Best In Category Crossover Award Winner October 2005
3DS Friend Code: 0232-8258-5085
Friend Safari: - Meditite, Pancham, Riolu
Shiny Value: 1672
Old May 13th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Kelranox
Beginning Trainer

Hey, how about the Reds losing their last game this season....to Swansea...just gonna go sit in a corner now.

I made that mouse thing up there. Also, I sometimes get the girl.
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Went
The Seed Pokémon

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
Who wears blue and white, is owned by a billionaire oil sheik and will play CL next year?

Spoiler:
Málaga, of course!

In La Liga, Madrid have got the ridiculous amount of 100 points and 121 goals- I can't see anybody beating that any time soon.

A shame we (Atlético) ended up 2 points short of getting that spot- at least we'll play the EL group stage as the defending champions, which saves us from a ridiculous summer of qualifying rounds. Hats off to Levante, who also qualified for the EL despite having "not being relegated with 10 games to go" as their main goal by the beggining of the season. It seems they didn't quite realize how good they were.

And Zaragoza managed to survive despite getting only 15 points in the first 25 games- 9 wins and a draw in the 13 remaining matches is an impressive stat, and they scored first in their games against Madrid and Barcelona they ended up losing. It's miraculous.
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Nearly had a heart attack yesterday watching the matches and I wanted to die at the result.
Fair play to City and they were the better team over the season, but can I point out how dominant the Manchester clubs were this season?

1st Man City - 89 points
2nd Man United - 89 points
3rd Arsenal - 70 points!

XD
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:36 AM
shenanigans
hear me roar

Tevez has been seen holding a "R.I.P. Fergie" banner on a Manchester City bus.

Whatever you think of City, I defy any of you to tell me that this isn't taking Premier League football to a new low.

https://p.twimg.com/As4Q5pQCEAEAPVF.png
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

If anyone seriously tries to defend Tevez, then oh dear.
I use to love Tevez and I wished him well at City, but he has done nothing this season, been out for most of it, now comes back, doesn't really do anything in the last match and thinks he can get away with that sign?

I have no respect for him and he is going to get a complete crap storm on him now, not just from Manchester United fans.
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:47 AM
shenanigans
hear me roar

All I can really say is thank God it's just one idiot getting way up himself. I was probably a bit far when I said it took the whole of the PL lower, but still, I really don't like this at all. And when it's all eyes on City right now and he pulls something like this... it can't end well for the rest of the League.
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Went
The Seed Pokémon

I truly believe that deserves some sort of punishment, one thing is mocking your rivals and some other thing is... well yeah. That guy, I don't know how he's allowed to still play anywhere.
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Nuke

I can't believe Villarreal got relegated.

Even with Rossi and Nilmar out most of the season, it seems so odd.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Went
The Seed Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
I can't believe Villarreal got relegated.

Even with Rossi and Nilmar out most of the season, it seems so odd.
This is the goal that sent them down, in Vallecas, Madrid. Min 92. Scored by Tamudo, the guy standing right beside the keeper.

Despite being right on line for relegation in case Villarreal scored as well, Granada refused to kick off after conceding the goal and just played 1-2 in the circle until the ref got bored and called fulltime XD Villarreal are not exactly amused.

But it's definitely weird, although they only have themselves and the ridiculous amount of goals conceded in the last 10 minutes to blame (including one yesterday, for like a total of 6 matches).
Old May 15th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Ouch, this has got to be painful to hear.

"If all that I was interested in was money, the easiest decision would have been to stay at Arsenal, picking up my money every week and walking into the team." - Nasri

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/7758035/

He has got to be pretty hated more now. Seems that two players are getting bigger heads now, Nasri and Tevez. Surprised Mario hasn't said anything to rub it in peoples faces yet.
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:46 AM
shenanigans
hear me roar

None of this is looking too good on City. They come out of nowhere, buy their way to the top, and then their own players make them look awful. My upmost sympathy to real City supporters.
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

It is just really frustrating because all the fans are gloating and they did well, yes, but it isn't like they beat us my loads of point, we were both the same! XD
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:12 AM
shenanigans
hear me roar

They'll get over it soon enough when they realise how stupid they look right now lol. Shame it's the players as much as it is the fans... /tevez
Old May 15th, 2012, 03:34 AM
Nuke

City's only respectable striker since they became rich has been Aguero. They have all either been forced out, had their careers ruined by the club or been a complete nutjob.

Robinho - Basically signed just to say "we are rich". Ended up being forced out after City bought a ridiculous amount of strikers.
Santa Cruz - One of the best striker in the league, bought as a backup then given no chance after Hughes left.
Adebayor - Another brilliant striker who has proven his ability with more than a goal every two games at Spurs this season. Pushed out for Dzeko, Balotelli and Tevez.
Bellamy - Okay fair enough this seemed like a bad signing, but he became a very useful player for them before also being pushed our for Dzeko, Balotelli, Tevez and the many wingers signed.
Tevez - United fans already hated him, but he soon gave the City fans good reason too by refusing to appear against Bayern. Mancini backed down and let him back in, the fans accepted him again which shows how fickle they are.
Balotelli - Where do I start? So many incidents. But once again, Mancini and the fans back down.
Dzeko - Demoted to being a mere backup striker after being a promising striker in the Bundesliga.

The worst thing is all of these strikers are still at the club apart from Bellamy and Robinho.

I think Hughes would have delivered the title with a lot less controversy.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old May 15th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

I agree.
It is crazy how much money was thrown at the club. Someone will be buying Wigan next and spending billions of pounds on them and they will become the new Man City, because that is how you win a league, apparently.
Old May 15th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fabio View Post
I agree.
It is crazy how much money was thrown at the club. Someone will be buying Wigan next and spending billions of pounds on them and they will become the new Man City, because that is how you win a league, apparently.
Forgive my ignorance but, as someone who doesn't really watch or follow football or its inner-workings, why is this shocking or bad? Surely the teams with the most money have always done better than those teams who have less money... right? ('Cause of the ability to buy better players and managerial staff.) So, why is there such scorn at Manchester City for committing the 'crime' of having craploads of cash?
Old May 15th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Yes, big clubs have more money so they can spend it on better players, always apart of the game. The problem with the whole City incident is they, pretty much, bought a brand new team, which is VERY unfair.

You can turn it around and say that big clubs like Manchester and London teams have more money than smaller teams, so it is unfair, but you aren't meant to buy a new team in one go. It is all about progression, working with them and not just replacing them when they have a bad game with someone completely different.

I didn't like it when Chelsea did it and I don't like it now City have done it.
Old May 15th, 2012, 04:50 AM
Nuke

Big clubs in the past had the money because they'd built the club up to earn such money through merchandising, selling their developed players etc.

It's funny how CF regarded to it as buying a whole new team because the new, rich Cardiff owners literally tried to make them a new team.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Went
The Seed Pokémon

There is a difference between becoming rich because your team is successful, you raise and sell great players earning money on the way, you get a lot of fans crowding the stadium every week, etc; and being bought by a billionaire with lots of free time and money to waste. It's the difference between an anonymous guy creating Facebook and Google buying FB staff to create Google+.

United, Bayern or Barça have raised a lot of players from nothingness into world-class. City or Chelsea are just hiring those players with the endless cash falling from their pockets.
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Saitou

Regardless of how City was 'made', I am glad they won the title. They fully deserve it; they play the best football, have the best attack, the best defense. I hope they do some damage in the Champions League next year because they can challenge big teams.

As for the debate concerning the financial power of City, I am not so much against it. They did what Madrid (Ronaldo, Ozil, Benzema...), Barcelona (Eto, Ibra, Sanchez, Alves...), or any big team have done in a shorter span. Instead of spending millions in an interval of 10+ years, they did in 3-4 years. It would be reasonable to argue that they would keep spending millions each year, but, seeing the strength of their team at the moment, I doubt they will. They would probably sign a player or two each year, like all teams do and limit their spending. The fact that people are seriously attacking City because of their money spreeing but disregarding Madrid's -- for example -- use of their large funds is a little unfair. Madrid, like City, and especially the last decade or less, aren't prospering their youth system but rather are spending it on foreign stars. It shouldn't be okay for Madrid because they are a bigger team than City. I just hope City is satisfied with what they have otherwise it would be a little unfair especially to teams like United who are always satisfied with their players and still manage to challenge for titles and Arsenal who are just too 'cheap' to spend. City basically built a team from scratch, true, but I guess this is the only way to challenge United for the title and presumably end their dominance. Liverpool is way far from challenging anymore, so it Arsenal.

Also, I'm betting Chelsea will probably spend a lot this Summer; 6th place -- despite being in the CL final -- isn't appealing to their owner. Same goes for Liverpool.

Last edited by Saitou; May 15th, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old May 20th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Went
The Seed Pokémon

Okay, breaking news: Greece won the 2004 Euro.

Except they were wearing all-blue now for some reason.
Old May 20th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Nuke

Yeah, it was a horrible way to win the trophy.

Oddly enough Bayern tried it for five minutes after they scored and got punished as much as Chelsea in eighty minutes.

Worst season for Chelsea to win it too, but oh well.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Chelsea's next plan is to buy 6 new defenders and change their formation to 9-1-0.

Seems to work for them.

Sponsored Links