The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 21st, 2012, 06:05 AM
Went
With added juicycles

Send a message via Skype™ to Went

Advertise here
I hope the shootout alternative ends up shelved like the "golden goal" and similar stupid ideas to get done with the extra time as quickly as possible. In this sense, I think it's all perfectly fine as it is right now.
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:45 AM
Nuke

Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manipulation View Post
Sepp Blatter is a joke. The problem is we have no alternative to him as every re-election no one stands against him (and when they do they get suspended).
It's like football has been left in an odd dictatorship. Oh well he can't last forever and penalty shootouts will stay I imagine.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:06 AM
Katalyst

Now the Euro will be full of great unpredictable matches. I think no one really expected the Czech or the Greeks to make it much farther.

Ronaldo finally is blazing for his national team, and that's good. I wonder if it's possible stopping him the way he is now. I hope not :p And that Moutinho, I hate him for crying his way out of my club to a rival, but damn that guy's good.

About the Germany-Greece match, I think that pretty much showed everyone that the bus does not work against Germans.
Old June 24th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Went
With added juicycles

France was extremely disappointing. They had a really defensive starting XI and they ended up like pretty much everybody playing Spain without a clear defensive strategy- having 10 guys around the box doesn't necessarily mean that it will be any better defended.

I'm surprised at how well we are competing lately though- we have only conceded 1 goal in the tournament so far, and only Germany have scored one goal more than us (9-8). In my life had I been sitting through a quarterfinal knowing that we were going to win from the very first moment XD
Old June 24th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Binary
え?

The french were really disappointing last night, I had expected much much more from them. Spain played well though, much more defensively than offensively, in my opinion.

Tonight I'm with England all the way.
Old June 24th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
The Spain vs France game was... really boring for me. One powerful header and that was the only interesting thing.

Come on England tonight, though.
Old June 24th, 2012, 02:26 AM
hashtag
the man in black
Community Supporter

France lost that game starting Malouda ahead of Nasri (and the other host of changes, too). They really need to sort their act out, especially Benzema, I don't think I saw him move out of a casual jog all tournament.

paired with christos
Old June 24th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Liam Crawford
O.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fabio View Post
The Spain vs France game was... really boring for me. One powerful header and that was the only interesting thing.

Come on England tonight, though.
I agree. An uneventful game complimented a boring 'tiki-taka' display with no efforts in actually creating a decent chance from Spain and a defensive game from France pretty sums up a fairly uninteresting quarter final. I hope England vs Italy will be more interesting, although it's between two 'defensive' teams. England so far hasn't really showed good football -- maybe only in Sweden's match -- but I expect them to edge this game.

Old June 24th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Mentalii
Back

Nature: Gentle
I knew France would lost, against Spain, we had no chance. I hope we'll have a good team again, one day maybe... The match of yesterday was, as everybody said, disappointing.
So, now I'm gonna support England and Spain. Today's match will be interesting.

Old June 24th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Today's match doesn't look great on paper. Will probably end up being a classic.
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Nuke

Community Supporter

France also disappointed me last night. I think I might have overrated them coming into this tournament, their squad is surprisingly weak.

Looking forward to the England match. I think Italy are slightly more likely to win, but I'm predicting penalties.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

COME ON ENGLAND!
We have a chance, but I just hope they don't break out hearts. If England play as they did in the last match, then we are in trouble.
Old June 24th, 2012, 01:18 PM
shenanigans
Staff Admin

I'm having terrible flashbacks of Chelsea v Bayern Munich right now. Idk how to feel - if we lose here, we're out of the Euros but if we win we're moving forward the same way that Chelsea won the Champions. MAJOR MORAL CONFLICT.

edit: nvm

Last edited by shenanigans; June 24th, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old June 24th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Anyone else know Young was going to miss that?
Old June 24th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Nuke

Community Supporter

Well I said it would go to penalties. :P

I'm not too disappointed because I expected us to go out in the group stages. We can finally watch the rest of the tournament without 'England this, England that, no other teams exist'.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old June 24th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

No other teams should exist.

Enjoying entertaining football matches. What's that?
Old June 24th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Katalyst

One thing's for sure, Germany won't have an easy match ahead.

And that Pirlo, I always admired him. Such class in his feet. That man's balls are made of titanium.
Old June 25th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Went
With added juicycles

A Panenka Penalty, glory to Pirlo.

I just hope Germany make it to the final in case we go through, Italy are way too scary for my liking and they actually have a true defensive tactic. Everybody else we play change their tactics completely to defend and end up playing a horrible match just parking the bus and forgetting they are supposed to attack (see: Croatia, France). Doesn't make for an exciting show but it's very difficult to lose if your rivals can barely attack you.
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Liam Crawford
O.O

Wow, it was like watching Barcelona vs. a second tier French team. England, apart from decent defending with some lucky saves, were absolutely outclassed by a supposedly defensive team. The inclusion of Caroll did nothing, a waste of substitutes. I didn't notice Henderson and Walcott came on until I saw them in the penalty stage. England were lucky to make it to the penalty shootouts; it could have been 2-0 in 90 minutes, easily. It would have been extremely unfair if England actually won.

If Spain plays like they did in their last two games, Portugal will probably beat them (with Ronaldo in form) on the counters. I'd like some other team to win it this year.

Old June 25th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Nuke

Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Went View Post
A Panenka Penalty, glory to Pirlo.

I just hope Germany make it to the final in case we go through, Italy are way too scary for my liking and they actually have a true defensive tactic. Everybody else we play change their tactics completely to defend and end up playing a horrible match just parking the bus and forgetting they are supposed to attack (see: Croatia, France). Doesn't make for an exciting show but it's very difficult to lose if your rivals can barely attack you.
I think they're sort of forced into their defensive tactics by the fact that they'll never have possession.

I'm hoping Portugal can get Spain on the counter attack, Portugal in the final would be much more entertaining.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Dr.Kotov
& the symptoms.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dr.Kotov
Bruno Alves: Watch how it's done Nani, watch how—
/Waiting for this thread to erupt.
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Nuke

Community Supporter

Somehow it didn't erupt.

Anyway, a good fight put up by Portugal with a disappointing end and I could've had £20 if they won the tournament, but oh well. Nani probably would've created more than one brilliant chance if the referee wasn't a joke toward decisions involving him in the first half and then Portugal just slowly faded. I hated Alves before, now it's multiplied. Well done to Spain anyway, at least this match was entertaining unlike the rest of them were they get to employ tiki taka, here's hoping Germany or Italy can stifle the tactic too.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Went
With added juicycles

Why was it entertaining? Because Portugal decided to press our players instead of parking a bus in the back. That meant that they had better chances to steal the ball and get a fast counter (Ronaldo had the final, but he somehow squandered one of the best chances in the first 90- he's only got himself to blame), and that also meant wider gaps in the Portuguese defense, allowing our players to pass the ball with more speed and not get that slow (which is the main reason why we are called boring).

Although that much speed and all didn't really mean a better match- Portugal didn't even have a single shot on target in the entire match, as opposed to four from us, and the free kicks were the most dangerous attempts until the extra time, when Portugal were so worn off that they left a few incredibly clear chances to us.

And, the same way I commended Pirlo for his Panenka Penalty... yes.

Qué huevos, Sergio, qué huevos.
Old June 28th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Liam Crawford
O.O

The way I saw it, the game wasn't at all entertaining. I couldn't wait for any team to score just for the game to finish. Spain's chances, excluding Ineista's great miss, weren't dangerous at all; the keeper didn't sweat to save them. Portugal should only blame Ronaldo for their loss; despite providing good passes to Almeida which he squandered, he missed a great chance and didn't step up to take a penalty when it mattered most. He agreed to take fifth, but when Spain scored, he should have step up not Alves.

It all came to pure luck. I didn't feel any team deserved a thing from this game. Spain hasn't been playing like the champions they are presumed to be, and yet are reaching places. Portugal have been pretty good for the last decade, reaching a final and two semis (WC included), without the quality players Spain or Germany have.

Spain should start Pedro more often. He did very well. He orchestrated a few dangerous run-ins. As for Ramos' penalty, I honestly can admit I thought he was going to miss.

Old June 28th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Nuke

Community Supporter

Stuart Pearce is getting some criticism for not picking Beckham in the British olympic squad. The way I see it no-one really cares about whether we win or not so we may as well have taken him due to sentiment. At least Giggs is in the squad and I should be able to watch him and the Brazillian megastars at my beloved Riverside for a friendly.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here