Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation
Reload this Page GSC Gold vs Silver

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Gold 7 46.67%
Silver 8 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Weeks Ago (12:28 AM).
Shiny_Unown

the red vs blue led me to ask, which you believe is better. Gold or Silver

I personally believe silver is bettter because it has better pokemon such as vulpix. but what do you believe? i'm seeing it really simple.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (06:24 AM).
DyingWillFlareon
Finally claimed Flareon ftw

Nature: Adamant
I played the Silver version as well as I like most of the sprites better, although the Gold version has cuter sprites sometimes.

Shhh PreciousMetals Version coming soon.....
I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature
Come check out my Challenge! Owner of The Dexholders' Challenge!
Need something to completly take over and rule your free time? Wynaut Pokemon Trivia?
Currently playing:
Legacylocke: Day 2; Mega Evolution Silver Single run: 6/6 16/16 @Mt. Silver; PokeSweet Version DuoSpecies Single Challenge Fudgisaur/Cupcat 2/2 3/8; Pokemon Ultimate Solo Run w/ Sableye 1/5 missions completed; Pokemon Ruby Ones that got Away: (To be started); Pokemon Random FireRed Omega: 5/6 4/8; Pokemon Random Platinum Challenge: 5/6 5/8; Type Cycle Challenge: 0/3 0/8 (To be started!); Date of Birth Challenge: (To be started!); Dex Holder National: Kanto 0/4 Johto Hoenn Sinnoh Unova
Old 3 Weeks Ago (08:24 AM).
Zehn
Choose!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zehn
This is going to become a ho-oh v lugia thread... You just can sense it. (You should put crystal into the discussion)
@Zehn: Oh
Old 3 Weeks Ago (11:15 AM).
BettyNewbie

It's a bit more of an even trade-off with Gold/Silver than it is with Red/Blue. Arcanine and Ariados (Gold) are generally superior to Ninetales and Ledian (Silver), but on the other hand, Skarmory and Donphan (Silver) are generally superior to Mantine and Ursaring (Gold). It's better to just get Crystal, though, which gets you all of the version exclusives except Vulpix and Mankey (neither of which are that useful).

As for Lugia vs Ho-Oh, Lugia's cooler, while Ho-Oh has a rarer typing and more immediately useful stat spread (Ho-Oh's built for offense, while Lugia's more defensive).
Old 3 Weeks Ago (11:29 AM).
Vinny Vidi Vici
Leave Luck To Heaven

Nature: Quirky
I grew up with Silver, so maybe I'm biased, but I prefer it's version exclusives, with Phanpy, Donphan, Skarmory and Delibird being some of my favourite 2nd gen pokemon. As for sprites, I'd say Gold probably nudges it. Mainly for it's Mewtwo sprite. That sprite is amazing. I also love Gold's Murkrow sprite with it's back turned to you. I also prefer Lugia to Ho-oh too, but in a way Lugia makes Silver too easy because it's such a beast. With the right moveset that thing can legitimately solo the Elite Four.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (04:19 PM).
Pendraflare
With every broken bone, I swear, I lived.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Pendraflare
I first had Silver for the longest time. But I like Gold's exclusives more, so it was kind of disappointing that I was stuck with the one that I wasn't quite as fond of.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (04:46 PM).
Kirbychu

Nature: Naive
I like Ho-oh more than Lugia, so yeah.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (08:29 PM).
Shiny_Unown

Quote originally posted by Zehn:
This is going to become a ho-oh v lugia thread... You just can sense it. (You should put crystal into the discussion)
Its too easy to include Crystal. Crystal is an enhanced/definitive version of the two.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (08:54 PM).
Ephemeral Euphoria
Void Walker

Nature: Quiet
Silver for me. Ho-Oh felt better as a post game legendary if you ask me.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (04:30 AM).
DrumminBeatz

I personally loved Silver more then Gold, I played them both but, to be honest, the way the Silver Version's box looked as well as the game, I really REALLY wish it had a flavor and was drawn to it. I still am to this day. As well as Lugia being one of the best legendary Pokemon ever! <3
Old 2 Weeks Ago (07:04 AM).
Sheep

Nature: Timid
I'm only the second vote for Gold? :( Awe. It's my preference because I love Ho-Oh and preferred the design of the box art! Lugia has never appealed to me.
Burnin’ up, we love, trust in it

cool | family | my star | twin | credit
Old 2 Weeks Ago (08:15 AM).
Zehn
Choose!
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Zehn
Quote originally posted by Sheep:
I'm only the second vote for Gold? :( Awe. It's my preference because I love Ho-Oh and preferred the design of the box art! Lugia has never appealed to me.

I voted gold too, I just prefer ho-oh and the box art
@Zehn: Oh
Old 2 Weeks Ago (08:41 AM).
ShinySquirtle

Nature: Jolly
Gold. The only reason being I was bought Gold and my brother got Silver.

Old 2 Weeks Ago (06:29 PM).
Imperator161

My preference is Gold, primarily because it's the version I played as my main game and have the most memories from. I also like the Gold exclusives better overall (Arcanine and Ariados, and I also really like bears, so Ursaring probably tops Donphan for me). I do wish Gold had Donphan as well, as it's a pretty good Pokemon and probably more useful combat-wise than Ursaring on the whole, even if I subjectively like Ursaring better. Since both Ho-oh and Lugia are available in both games, it doesn't really matter which one you get (especially if you factor in Stadium 2 to eliminate any disadvantages from missing out on moves on one bird vs. the other).
Old 2 Weeks Ago (07:08 PM).
Zoinkity

Nature: Modest
Yeah, using stadium to get their exclusive attack is really handy ;*)
Lugia is just really cool. Ho-oh reminded me a bit too much of Moltres, and there's still a bit of trauma attached to catching it in Blue.

Crystal's only disadvantage is the battery issue. So sad that.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (07:18 PM).
Lance
Johto Champion

Nature: Sassy
Gold, in my opinion was the best cause Ho-Oh is just such a good Pokemon, lugia is still a good pokemon though.

And the cover art on the box really appealed to me, as well as being an original remake, and i loved the original. ♥
Old 2 Weeks Ago (09:00 AM).
NotThatOneAgain

I think Silver had slightly better sprites. Then it all goes down to version exclusives; Gold = Ursaring. The badass bear. And silver had Donphan and Meowth, so it was easier to double your cash (Pay Day) on the SS Aqua, without grinding the league. And Silver had Skarmory, while Gold had Gligar. Urgh... Gligar. Skarmory every day.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (06:15 PM).
Shiny_Unown

i thought gold was a clear win but its not so clear. i'm glad my opinion is slightly more popular (statistically)
Old 1 Week Ago (06:57 AM).
Virtual Chatot
Ça m'énerve
Community Supporter

I preferred Silver because I always had an affinity for Lugia. Kind of sucks the second gen gave more precedence to Ho-Oh and the legendary dogs but then again at least Lugia had its own movie. I would have loved to see a legendary birds and Lugia arc in Kanto to complement Ho-Oh and the dogs in Johto.

Most certainly going to die

I'm so tired of reading and writing papers.

This is God's way of punishing me

At least I'm getting married this summer

I'm going to need a job

The hell are you reading these for?

<3
Old 1 Week Ago (11:24 AM).
BettyNewbie

Quote originally posted by Virtual Chatot:
I preferred Silver because I always had an affinity for Lugia. Kind of sucks the second gen gave more precedence to Ho-Oh and the legendary dogs but then again at least Lugia had its own movie. I would have loved to see a legendary birds and Lugia arc in Kanto to complement Ho-Oh and the dogs in Johto.
That's something I've never liked, either, even if it was understandable. The remakes missed a huge opportunity in canonizing Lugia and the birds.
Old 1 Week Ago (04:35 PM).
Shiny_Unown

Quote originally posted by Virtual Chatot:

Quote originally posted by BettyNewbie:
That's something I've never liked, either, even if it was understandable. The remakes missed a huge opportunity in canonizing Lugia and the birds.
i always theorized that Lugia created the three birds in a similar fashion of Ho-oh revived the legendary dogs.
Old 1 Week Ago (07:46 PM).
BettyNewbie

Quote originally posted by Shiny_Unown:
i always theorized that Lugia created the three birds in a similar fashion of Ho-oh revived the legendary dogs.
That's an interesting theory. I wish the games had explored it better, even if only in the remakes.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links