The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Main Series Pokémon Gaming > Second Generation
Reload this Page Team Layout

Second Generation Following the success of Red, Blue and Yellow, Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal introduced fans to an exciting new world full of new Pokémon to find, catch and train. Reminisce about your favourite moments in the Johto region, share your adventures and argue about the Johto master race.

Old June 5th, 2016 (8:11 PM).

Nature: Lonely
I am currently on my way to the final gym in Jhoto, and I was wondering if it's too late to train a krabby and evolve it to a kingler, or simply use the shiny gyarados basically given to you. Would it be worth the effort to train a krabby and evolve it to a kingler, semi-late game? Kinger would be more unique, but is it worth training up?

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 6th, 2016 (3:08 AM).
Nintendo is for awesome people

Unless you picked Totodile as your starter, I'd say you can use Kingler on your team.

Come play The Great Pokemon Battle 4!
Old June 6th, 2016 (3:19 AM).
I just come along for the ride
Silver Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey-chan
Gyarados is the more practical choice; it's more versatile than Kingler. It can learn a wider variety of move types (Thunder, Fire Blast, Blizzard), which would serve you better if you're facing off against the Elite Four. It also has the better all-round stats, though it does have that crippling 4x weakness to Electric-type moves.

That said, it's all down to personal preference, and using the Pokemon you like. Kingler's a pretty solid Water type, though you'd need to give him a powerful Water-type move to make up for his lack of Special Attack, as he doesn't get STAB on any physical moves back in Gen II.
Old June 6th, 2016 (6:50 AM).
Requiescat en pace.
Silver Tier

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey-chan View Post
That said, it's all down to personal preference, and using the Pokemon you like. Kingler's a pretty solid Water type, though you'd need to give him a powerful Water-type move to make up for his lack of Special Attack, as he doesn't get STAB on any physical moves back in Gen II.
This. It's a shame that the Special/Physical type division existed for such a long time in the way that it did in Gen I - III, because it let Pokémon like Kingler down a lot. Its Attack stat is left do to work other than Water attacks.

I would suggest Gyarados anyway. It has always been a powerhouse.
Old June 6th, 2016 (4:25 PM).

The Gyarados would generally be usable, alternatively you could use a non-shiny Gyarados from the lake if you want a less common option. Kingler could be useful if you want to train them up, although you could always try that after the E4, if you've trained up enough to be able to level up against them, at which point it should level up quite quickly. It really depends on if you have anything in particular you'd like to do with the Kingler - if you're using it in essentially the same way it's probably not worth it - or not; if you do, then you might as well use that, if that is thus your intention.

Old June 7th, 2016 (6:13 AM).
Misunderstood, Unfulfilled Potential...

Nature: Naughty
If you want something unique, why not go for Poliwrath? Can learn ice-punch for the 8th gym and also useful in the E4! Although it always comes down to what you like personally

"Just because you have the most talent, doesn't mean you are the greatest"
Old June 12th, 2016 (3:43 PM).

Crab hammer is Kinglers only momentum, asides for the other combinations.

All Golden Pokemon are weaker then there original forms.

I trained all of these pokemon only for the battery to die on me. Screw you Nintendo
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links