The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Main Series Pokémon Gaming > Second Generation
Reload this Page Internal battery

Second Generation Following the success of Red, Blue and Yellow, Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal introduced fans to an exciting new world full of new Pokémon to find, catch and train. Reminisce about your favourite moments in the Johto region, share your adventures and argue about the Johto master race.

View Poll Results: Does your copy of g/s/c still work?
Gold working 10 30.30%
Silver working 5 15.15%
Crystal working 8 24.24%
Gold broken 13 39.39%
Silver broken 17 51.52%
Crystal broken 6 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 11th, 2014 (1:09 PM). Edited December 12th, 2014 by Zehn.
Sacred Fire
Gold TierCS

Nature: Relaxed
Does any still have there old gold/silver/crystal? Did you have to:
Replace battery?
Keep the dead battery?
Chuck the game away?

Personally I never owned a copy of gold/silver/crystal since i was a year old at the time I only got into pokemon around d/p/p but I'm interested at how many copy's survived the battery purge (chucking the game due to the battery)

Comment your stories bellow

Edit:
How many people want there battery changed? Even though the save file will be gone

"Stand back, I'm armed! Pew pew pew!"

#ONEderground
The Underground's 1st Anniversary Collab

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 11th, 2014 (2:11 PM).

Nature: Calm
I still got my Silver game, but the battery is long dead. I miss my level 80 Slowbro...

http://pokecat.deviantart.com/
I support Pokemon Liquid Crystal!
Youtube.
Old December 11th, 2014 (4:34 PM).

Nature: Timid
When I read about the battery problem I had left 3 or 2 years. As I didn't play it since 2003 I didn't care that much, but in 2010 I tried to play and there was nothing, only the things I had in Stadium boxes. I wish I had fixed it, at least I'd have my poké, good memories of that time, long time working on them, miss this so much. :/
Old December 11th, 2014 (4:58 PM).
ModeratorCS

I still do have my Crystal cartridge, but unfortunately, I don't believe I have any handheld console to test it on, so I can't precisely say if its battery has run dry or not. However, last time I had played this game, which was nearly four years ago, things seemed to have been working perfectly fine.
Old December 12th, 2014 (7:19 AM).
Spectre Agent
Crystal Tier

Nature: Serious
I still have my copy of Silver. Course with its dead battery, I just have it sit in its box. I miss playing since it had the superior Game Corners in Johto and Kanto. As in Game Corners that had slots.

OSO STRONG

#TeamPopplio
Old December 12th, 2014 (1:02 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
Im not really the best guy for tools handling, but I managed to replace batteries successfully on my own :D

I had Yellow and Crystal. When I finished, I was aware of the possibility of the battery dying. Hopefully my Yellow save file will last long enough for me to get the save thingy and save it, replace it and load it, so there's that. I did however change the battery on Crystal before playing it and hopefully it will live for a long time.

I suggest everyone to change the batteries. there is nothing like going back to old games and seeing your own team, and it's not THAT hard so yeah, you should definitely do that :D

"The future you see is the future you get."
Old December 12th, 2014 (2:38 PM).
Crystal Tier

The death of the internal battery in my Gold version unfortunately caused me losing tons of Lvl. 100 and shiny Pokes. I get sad whenever I think about it.

Old December 12th, 2014 (11:14 PM).
Silver Tier

The batteries on all of my second gen games died several years ago. I bought new batteries to replace them, but never got around to doing so, and at this point, I don't know what the battery life on those batteries is like, so I'm not sure I'll ever bother. Gold died a little less than 6 years after I got it, Crystal died about 6-7 years after I got it, and Silver lasted a bit longer (closer to 9 years?). I played Gold the most, by far, Crystal second, and Silver the least.

I think I have my Gold save file backed up on a Mega Memory Card (assuming the back up worked), so I could probably get it back onto a cartridge if I replaced the battery, but I'm not sure I would want to bother.
Old December 22nd, 2014 (8:27 AM).
Pokémon Generation 2 Hacker

DUDES.

Google backing up gameboy saves to PC...

Or whatever... cuz you can use a mega memory card and an EMS cartridge to do whatever you want. And you can also use the EMS cartridge to play GB rom hacks like dark energy on an ACTUAL gameboy.

$ git gud --super wolfboyft
Old December 23rd, 2014 (2:38 AM).
Banned

Nature: Naive
I had Gold and Silver, but the battery died on both of them, and I never replaced them.
Old December 23rd, 2014 (3:12 AM).
Emperor of the End
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quiet
I owned all three games, and all three have succumbed to a dead battery. I tossed around the idea to have the batteries change, but such talk never moved beyond just that, mere talk. I'm grateful that they've since brought out remakes, but I do miss Crystal so. And the few Pokémon I managed to level to 100 on that game. Good times.

deviantart
game tag
rp blog
other rp blog
gpx+
tumblr

"We're all soldiers now."
Old December 23rd, 2014 (8:55 PM).

I bought them all used at a gamestore back in 05 with dead batteries. Went online after finding out they were dead and got the tools needed to replace them and with the help of my grandparents on soldiering, I was able to replace the batteries. I also bought a gameboy memory card to back up my saves a year later.

Old December 24th, 2014 (5:46 PM).
I liek Popplio

Nature: Jolly
The battery dies in Silver version a long time ago. I have no idea on how to replace these batteries. At least there is Heart Gold and Soul Silver for the DS
Old December 24th, 2014 (5:55 PM).

I've had all three games at some point, and replaced a battery in Gold version twice (although the second attempt actually broke one of the internal pieces because it was weakened from when I previously replaced it, lol...) and I replaced my Crystal version internal battery too.

That was already about 5 years ago, too, so they'll be due for another replacement in the coming years. I want to get another Gold Version and get a Silver Version for collector's purposes, I don't mind if the batteries are dead because if anything I can just play a ROM on my PSP.
Old January 5th, 2015 (10:21 PM).
ModeratorCSPokéCommunity Daily Staff

Nature: Adamant
I still have my Pokemon Gold and turquoise GBC. Both, completely playable. :)
Old January 6th, 2015 (6:47 PM).
Silver Tier

I still have all of my cartridges, but the only one that works is my Crystal of the three. My Gold and Silver need a new battery or something. I keep them anyway just to keep my collection complete. Its a shame they don't work anymore, but hey, I still got a working Crystal!
Old January 6th, 2015 (6:50 PM).

My Gold Version's save only works if the game was soft reset (A+B+START+SELECT) or the Game Boy is turned back on within two seconds.
Old January 13th, 2015 (9:35 PM).
Da Buu Dee Da Bu Die

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to DyingWillFlareon
I recently bought a Yellow version, and I'm concerned whether or not it has a battery. I've heard both answers before.....

But as for GSC I can't say. After I heard about the internal battery dying I hadn't worked up the courage to play one. Had to get a Rom of Silver but unfortunately the tablet that was on broke when we completed the League, just hanging around Fuscia.........
But I plan on buying SoulSilver and reviving my team with fully evolved pokes for comforting reasons. (Haunter's will be able to evolve and Toegtuc will have his own new evolution as well )
*The Library; Pokemon Manga Fanclub! Come join today!!
*The Dexholders' Challenge!
Old January 15th, 2015 (6:34 AM).

Nature: Lax
I never got a chance to get GSC, but judging from how much the damn glitch that causes my clock events to not work on my Sapphire sucks, it must be awful. Read the coolest thing the other day about how you can bring your gen 1 and 2 pokemon all the way to the current gen, if you have patience.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ILhyYIjArYLimeWEUJvSa0BsCnB5k706MWN2Pa7fA9c/edit?pli=1
Now that's dedication.

Old January 17th, 2015 (12:26 AM).

All 3 no longer have their original save batteries.

Gold expired in 2011. Silver was dead on arrival in 2014. Crystal expired in 2013.

I have replaced them, albeit with the electrical tape method. They work fine now.
Old February 12th, 2015 (2:04 AM).

If you want to change your battery without loosing save. Retron 5 is a way to do it. This console dumps your rom to temoporary memory and it allows you to copy your save on the system in a specific way. You can continue your gameplay on the console and you wont loose the progress since it can replace your save on your cartridge with progress you made on the console. In that way you can copy our save on the console, change battery and than import your save back on the cart.
Old February 13th, 2015 (3:57 PM).
you don't wanna be high like me
Super ModeratorCS

Nature: Timid
To my knowledge, all of my Gen II games are working. I had my Silver batteries replaced recently, so I'm thinking Gold and Crystal might go out this year, but last I checked, they were fine. ...I'm too afraid to check right now honestly.

darling all i know are sad songs
super mod | paired to klippy

Old February 13th, 2015 (4:02 PM).
Super ModeratorCSPokéCommunity Daily Staff

Nature: Quirky
My gold version...most definitely did not survive the battery. :( I checked it last year or so, and my beloved save file, which possibly had the most played time I've had on a pokemon game so far (although my copy of sapphire might be encroaching on that, not sure), gone. All my pokemon, gone. ;-; Sigh.

I'm not going to replace the battery. Too much effort for a game I probably look at only once every few years at best now. But I'm definitely not throwing the cartridge away, there's too much nostalgia involved with it.

my artz, yo
Old February 16th, 2015 (11:25 AM).
Crystal Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Swagroar
Well I think my copies of Gold and Silver failed to keep their battery running properly, but I do still have a working version of Crystal that's doing alright enough. That was at 58 hours when I last picked it up. I don't know how to replace the battery on my own, though.
Old February 16th, 2015 (11:38 AM).

The battery for my Gold and Silver versions went out a long time ago, and I got rid of them not long after. My Crystal still works, but unfortunately it's doing the thing where the clock wont keep up with the actual time, which is a sign that the battery is about to go out. I'm thinking of replacing it, but the price for the materials needed for that and just buying another game are about the same, so...I dunno.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links