The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

Nature: Timid

Advertise here
I get this weird view of this section every time I come here. Advanced generation has a lot of nostalgia for me. Generation V is on the way though, so generation III is like a middle child that gets forgotten now. But okay, I'm drifting away from what I'm trying to say. Do you view the advanced generation as...well, "old"? Sometimes I still think it's new, because I can remember carefully saving my little 11-year-old earnings to buy Sapphire version. Now I'm 18 and generation IV is in its last limelight and generation V is on the rise, yet I still seem to forget about that and I keep thinking generation III is ~new~ or something.

Seems like a weird topic, but it's been bugging me every time I look in here, mainly cause it's about as inactive as Metal/Color, which are ~obviously~ old.
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Saitou

Nature: Relaxed
Yeah, I also wonder whether the AG games are getting old, with the fifth one on the way, but to be honest, I don't, really. Believe it or not, I still play FireRed from time to time, and have restarted it more than 10 times this year. It was my favorite version and it will stay that way.

I used to go every week to the store next to my house, to check whether FireRed is released yet. I was friends with the owner so he called me one day, and I bought it.
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Yeah...I just got to Battle Frontier in Emerald again...god I love that game...only problem is lack of good training spots....I've lost to all 7 Frontier Brains once each (Tucker was nearly defeated, but my attack missed and he got a crit).

I got LeafGreen when Platinum came out....but I still loved it. I think the Advanced Generation is in an awkward position because it's got good colour...but it's the last of the 2D games....Gen IV has 3D, Gen V has newness...Gen I/II has crappyness (graphics-wise, please don't flame me, you know I'm right about that) and nostalgia for a huge proportion of people. Us who started on Gen III are a minority online...as are Gen IV starters (Wait a couple of years until they all get to 12+ and they'll appear, xD)

So...they're old, in years (7) but that's nothing compared to Gen I (13??Or just 12??). They're a bit forgotten, though, sadly.
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Kid nino
Oshowatt/Wotter <3

Nature: Bold
I feel like the advanced generation was the weakest of what we've seen so far. All we got was Hoenn (the weakest region in my opinion) and a remake of Kanto. (Which thanks to HG and SS we have an even better remake of.) Don't get me wrong I really like Sapphire and I waited for a full year to get a game boy advanced just for it. But still, I do view generation III as old. And I have for a while.

Dimond Code: 0903 5137 8885
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:54 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
It's been a while since I played an Advance gen. game. Maybe it's because I've been playing D/P/Pt/HG/SS too much and got used to the new graphics.

Old September 16th, 2010, 10:00 PM
liketoys0000
Booted out - don't be like me!

I wanna play the advance gen,but I also like the old gen,deep impression
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:21 PM
solarowl
I'll always be an Outsider.

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to solarowl
I think Gen 4 and 5 have really grown from these older games, but still, I find myself playing Emerald and Fire red from time to time. I'm kinda used to new features though.
Old September 21st, 2010, 06:44 AM
chickenofunity
Confused Chicken

Nature: Bashful
I love the advance gen. My only problem is buying the games now, as my Firered truned out to be fake and died, and I lost my emerald. They are my favourite genartion, probably partly becuase I have'nt got any newer games becuase I don't own a DS, I only borrow friends.
Basically, I love Gen 3, and when it's remakes come out, that's when I'll buy myself a DS, Becuase I love this gen so much.

Please click my hatchlings and eggs!
http://dragcave.net/user/littleangelamy22

Spoiler:

Will be starting soon:

Avvie credit to Noka!! ♥
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:21 AM
Anna
"it has no brakes"
Community Supporter

Gen III doesn't seem old to me. Emerald was my first Pokemon game, and I remember my brother's friend/our next-door neighbor helping me through the first time. It doesn't seem long ago at all, and I still play Emerald. I play it more than I play Platinum, Pearl, and HG. But it was definitely awhile ago... we haven't lived in that house in at least four years.

{ Pairs + Family }
{ Clubs + Theme }

Connection
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:32 AM
Quirky
The satellites are down..

Nature: Quirky
Gen. III doesn't strike me as being old. It does strike me, however, as being a game that seems old, because so many people have tried to forget about it. It is constantly labelled as the worst Pokemon generation, a title it doesn't deserve to have. Gen. III will never seem old to me, as it is, and will be, my favourite generation.
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:48 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

I'm starting to see it as old since my GBA is starting to get like my GBC is, in that it's becoming more fickle about how cartridges get inserted into it.
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:12 PM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

It's not quite to the point where it's "old" yet, but keep in mind that this is coming from someone who has been with the franchise since the beginning. I don't feel that it's old because the gameplay is similar (where you have to concern yourself with natures, EV spreads and so forth) and the fact that you can still transfer the Pokemon to the 4th generation games, and from there on to the 5th gen ones.

Heck, I'm considering playing through Leaf Green again. Maybe I'll even do a "Let's Play" about it.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Dark Pulse94
Scienta Potentia Est

Nature: Lonely
Emerald version will NEVER DIE - it is the best region they made yet! sure, the game doesn't have the most up-to-date graphics, but the storyline, the pokemon and the region are Pokemons greatest acheivements - EVER
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
AceDragonite
Champion

Well its not like the graphics got any WORSE when the new game's graphics got BETTER.
Its not old until I can look at the game and say "Those graphics are ancient!"
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:17 PM
BHwolfgang
kamikorosu

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to BHwolfgang Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BHwolfgang Send a message via Skype™ to BHwolfgang
I don't think the Advanced Generation have gotten old yet. That is, until Nintendo decides to make a remake of Hoenn. It could possibly be right after Generation V. I grew up and started with Gen. III, more specifically Pokemon Sapphire. That was about five years ago when it came out, but I can still remember begging my parents for Pokemon Sapphire when I first got my Gameboy Advance.

To be honest, Hoenn is in the middle of the classic and modern era of Pokemon. It was the stepping stone for future games and generations. Graphics improved, competitive battling was formed, fans bashed it for its changes, and Mirage Island is a pain in the butt; Pokemon still prospered. Pokemon, overall, is old school; Gen. III is just part of that.
Old September 24th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Kotowari
Will be back eventually
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Calm
I don't consider it old, as I still play Emerald at least once a week.
It helps that I kinda got stuck in the 3rd generation, as I do not have a DS and do not like to play Pokémon Roms that much. I skipped the 4th generation, as it could not appeal to me at all. And if it wasn't for HG/SS I would have probably just stopped playing the newer games (maybe until B/W came out).

I still remember the feeling when I heard Ruby and Sapphire were on the way. It was a different feeling compared to the announcement of Sinnoh...
I only found out aboutit a little while before it came out. I was not part of the internet community yet, and I collected everything that had pictures of the new Pokémon.
I still remember when the 2nd Generation started to "leak". That was fun.

I agree with what BHwolfgang said earlier, that the 3rd Gen is somewhere in the middle.

"We shall build a peaceful world... Just you and me..."
Old September 24th, 2010, 12:12 PM
mondays suck
:)

I pretty much skipped the advanced generation because I never got a GBA, so the border between old and new generations for me is between II and III.
Old September 24th, 2010, 12:39 PM
560cool.
Probably back.

Nature: Relaxed
I grew up with Sapphire, FireRed, Disney and POPCORN. So, whenever I come here, a lot of nostalgia just rises.
And stuff with mom from when I was telling her what happened at school.

"Ah, well, it was... hold on, this guy got a critical ! What, err, what I ate ? Well my Pokemon ate a Sitrus Berry.... NO NO ! What are you doing ! PLEASE, let me SAVE, please..."

I really loved those times back then. :-)
So no, they're not old, but they're old for me, since they were my first. ;-)

Old September 24th, 2010, 04:58 PM
mal'akh
Hate this place. Gone for good

I'm an old fart. So I'd consider them "rusty", not "old". I still remember the DAY me and my friends were talking about which ones we were going to get, days before they came out. I would never call them old...just somewhat forgotten (but not as bad as spinoffs *shot*).

Old September 25th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Pancake86

Hmm, interesting topic.
I feel like an old fart myself. When I was 11 or 12, Gen I came out. I loved it. All the middleschoolers made fun of me for liking Pokemon since I was in middle school back then. I didn't care. I skipped generation II. When I was 18 or 19 (in 2005), I bought Ruby and Sapphire and got into Pokemon again. Then I preo-ordered Diamond and Pearl in 2007 when I was uh I think I was 20. I'm 23 now (24 in five days OMG), and I have most of the advance and current gens (except my Emerald got hacked due to my stupidty on a dare to clone a Pelliper, and I never bought HG/SS due to a weird and confusing rage I had at the time). I guess they're old to the youngsters, but hey, I recently met an 11 year old boy (my cousin's cousin who's not my cousin) this year who owns the generation III AND IV games sooooooo I guess they're not that old yet.

Remember, you can transfer Gen III Pokemon to Gen IV games via the pal park. You never know when you'll need the pal park. But hey, i'm just stupid in that reguard. :D
Old September 26th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Peach Fresca
Underrated Pokémon Fanatic

Nope. I, too, am very nostalgic about ADV games, but I still see them as "new."
Not sure why, honestly.

Oh, it looks like rain tonight. Thank god, 'cause a clear sky just wouldn't feel right...
Old September 26th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Virtual Chatot
Himmelreich

Send a message via AIM to Virtual Chatot
I remember getting Pokemon Blue and a Gameboy for my fifth birthday. I remember mistakenly calling Bug Catcher "Bug Charmander". Of course, that was a long time ago. The Johto series was the greatest of them all, and very few people argue with that. In Johto, our love of the game was rekindled and burned ever the more.

And then came Hoenn. More color, more Pokemon, and a completely new region. I played and replayed Ruby at least twenty times over because I loved the game so much. At the softball park where my parents played, during long car rides, when I visited my dad who lived several hours away. I'm very nostalgic when it comes to the Advanced Generation, as it was then that the "glory years" of my Pokemon experience were carried out. Going over to my cousins house to use his Gameboy Advance so that we could trade over my Eevee From Firered so I could get Espeon in Emerald.

Then came Diamond and Pearl. Good games, yes; but there was something different. The games got more simple, more watered down. That umph wasn't there anymore. It seems like I was just doing what the game told me to do, instead of me being able to explore and experiment. Everything was just too easy, leading you in the proper direction instead of giving you the ability to make mistakes. I didn't even buy Platinum, what was the point? It was just going to be the same story all over again. HG/SS passed by, and I beat HG once and never played it again. With the new generation, I'm not sure whether or not I'll even buy them. My heart lies with the past generations.
Old September 26th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Weavile05
Currently Hacking BW

Nature: Lax
Heck no! I've never beaten Sapphire once (closer than ever now!) and I'm still working on getting a FireRed Cartridge.

Hoenn, 1 Badge
My Youtube Channel: Check out my Pokemon Red Walkthrough
Pokemon White FC: 2322 5491 2643
Old September 27th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Timbjerr
Hero of the Blue Flame
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
I distinctly remember being a member at PC during the pre-release hype leading up to the release of Ruby/Sapphire and watching as hackers who got the games at the Japanese launch leaked everything about it...so it still feels relatively recent despite the fact that I was 15 at the time and I'm now 23. XD

PokéCommunity Veteran Timbjerr

"We're not perfect. Sometimes our brains tell us one thing, while our emotions tell us another. And war... The more we try to avoid it, the worse it is when it comes to us."
Old September 27th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Ayselipera

I get that feeling from time to time. What I tend to notice is that I view Hoenn as separate from all the other generations. I just feel like the Pokemon in the Hoenn region and the region itself is still completely different from the previous regions before it and now after it.

Often times when I think about the possible III generation remakes I'll think to myself, "No they won't be coming out anytime soon since Ruby and Sapphire were only a year or so ago." Even though it's been years. I'm not positive what it is really besides my thought of them being so different from the rest of the games.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here