Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page What are some good and unique hacks?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old September 23rd, 2010 (12:45 AM).

I know it's kind of rude of me to barge in here and ask for you guys to do the searching for me, but I'm really kind of tired of sifting through information when somebody else likely has the answer.

What are the most UNIQUE Rom Hacks? I know there are a lot of good hacks out there, as in well-made, but how many good ROM hacks break from the traditional formula? Anything as small as changing the way you get your first pokemon to something as large as making the game actually open ended.

A lot of the threads don't really seem to advertise their games very well. Most of the bullet points in threads are things like "de-capitalization" or "new gym leaders" but I am looking for something a bit more interesting than just that.

Sorry if it's rude or against the rules to post this. Thanks to anyone that can help.
Old September 23rd, 2010 (06:45 AM).
not a beginner trainer :P

Pokemon Sienna is very good.
Old September 23rd, 2010 (06:54 AM).
give me the words
ModeratorCS

Nature: Mild
It's all up to the indivdual and what they like. I recommend Pokemon Turquoise but again that my opinion/recommendation. If you want to find the ones you like, then yes, unfourtunately you'll have to keep searching. I suggest looking through Hacks Showcase to views some of PC's finest finished products.
Old September 23rd, 2010 (06:59 AM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

If it want something unique then I suggest you check out all three of destinedjagold's games. They're very unique and far away from the original formula.
Old September 23rd, 2010 (09:48 AM).

Sienna looks pretty good.

And to post#2, Uniqueness isn't about preference at all. It's about getting away from the same_game_every_time formula. The "good" part is something I can easily decide for myself if people help to point out the unique hacks.

Also, as far as "most unique ever," Pokemon My Ass is an incredibly strange and funny hack.
Old September 23rd, 2010 (02:29 PM).
Silver Tier

If you really want something unique, try Pokémon Identity, it strays far from nintendo's concept, yet it's still great! :3
Old September 23rd, 2010 (02:38 PM).
Old-timer

I second Pokemon Turquoise. Tropical Sunlight strayed quite far from the default formula, but it's still on-track enough to keep the feel of nintendo's games. It also has some nice fakemon, an added plus in my book.
Old September 23rd, 2010 (02:43 PM).
Hacking is all that matters...

Nature: Hasty
Quote originally posted by Johnald:
I know it's kind of rude of me to barge in here and ask for you guys to do the searching for me, but I'm really kind of tired of sifting through information when somebody else likely has the answer.

What are the most UNIQUE Rom Hacks? I know there are a lot of good hacks out there, as in well-made, but how many good ROM hacks break from the traditional formula? Anything as small as changing the way you get your first pokemon to something as large as making the game actually open ended.

A lot of the threads don't really seem to advertise their games very well. Most of the bullet points in threads are things like "de-capitalization" or "new gym leaders" but I am looking for something a bit more interesting than just that.

Sorry if it's rude or against the rules to post this. Thanks to anyone that can help.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=230399&page=4 :]

Also, if your really looking for unique, might I suggest the Game Development section? They really have top tier stuff over there. Tbh, I think the things they make there are better than anything I could ever make Rom Hacking :/

Wanna play my hack? Check it out here!

My sig was "too big brah", so I shortened it.
Old September 23rd, 2010 (04:30 PM).

Quote originally posted by psychicboy:
Also, if your really looking for unique, might I suggest the Game Development section? They really have top tier stuff over there. Tbh, I think the things they make there are better than anything I could ever make Rom Hacking :/
Out of those, what would you recommend? You seem like you've played a few. What are some of your favorites?
Old September 23rd, 2010 (06:25 PM).
Hacking is all that matters...

Lets see.

Pokemon Raptor Ex
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=111656

Pokemon: Super Eevee Edition (This is a personal fave. If your looking for diffrent... You found it here...)
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=224449

All I've played, but those are very epic.

Wanna play my hack? Check it out here!

My sig was "too big brah", so I shortened it.
Old September 23rd, 2010 (11:10 PM). Edited September 24th, 2010 by colcolstyles.
Yours truly
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by Super Ultra Mega Charizard:
Pokemon Sienna is very good.
Is it a good hack? Yes. Is it unique in the sense that the OP implied? No.

As Manipulation (lol) mentioned, destinedjagold's hacks are very unique and perfect for someone looking for a change of pace. I personally recommend Rescue Rangers. It combines the Overworld style of the Mystery Dungeon series with the battle system of the Adventure games and it's a lot of fun. Other than that, I can't think of many "unique" hacks because I'm perfectly fine with the standard, 8-gym story line. The only other one that I can think of is ToxicPurple but it hasn't had any new progress in a while (though there is a playable version out there somewhere).

Brother of Vrai
Old September 25th, 2010 (01:05 PM).

This is different criteria than the original post, but I don't really want to make a new topic:

What are some great finished or playable at least to elite four hacks out there? Great as in mostly proper grammar, no incredibly ugly sprites, no obvious glitches, and a good amount of custom content.

I'll keep an eye on Sienna, and also some others. Thanks for the recommendations so far, I enjoyed the games. If I find what I am looking for outside this thread, I'll post it.
Old September 25th, 2010 (01:09 PM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

The only one that really fits that bill for me is Pokémon Brown and rijionAdventures by coolboyman and Hiroshi Sotomura. I would say destinedjagold's hacks again but they don't totally fulfil your criteria.
Old September 26th, 2010 (03:14 PM).
Silver Tier

Well, if you're looking for finished games: Pokemon Quartz but it has incredibly ugly sprites D:

But, well, the only other finished hacks I can think of at the moment are what Manipulation mentioned, Brown and RijonAdventures.
Old September 29th, 2010 (06:49 PM).

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but what are some good, unglitchy hacks with nice Fakemon? I do love Fakemon.
Old September 30th, 2010 (08:27 PM).
Hee-ho!

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
What are some great finished or playable at least to elite four hacks out there? Great as in mostly proper grammar, no incredibly ugly sprites, no obvious glitches, and a good amount of custom content.

FireRed Omega!
It's FireRed, only you can obtain all Pokemon (No bothering with trading :D), different starters, and three endgame areas.
He also changed some Legendary positions (EG: Raikou, Entei, and Suicune are found on Two Island)

Quote originally posted by Fastlane250:
I really think the [ROBLOX] admins are not satisfied with breaking the game, they intend to break reality itself.
Old October 1st, 2010 (05:06 AM).
Now too much of a life.

Nature: Timid
Naranja was far and away my fav. I liked the game play and scripts of darkblue 2.0, but it was so full of glitches It's almost not worth playing without having to use a debugger. brown and prism are pretty good two, but I still like naranja best.
Old October 2nd, 2010 (06:07 AM).

I hate to hijack the thread as well, but what are some good hacks with some nice Fakemon that are complete that aren't Chaos Black or Quartz?
Old October 4th, 2010 (12:54 AM).

I hear Sienna has 10+ hours of gameplay at only 4 gyms. That's neat!

I'm not sure how done Turqoise is, but it looks really good!

I'll check out Rijon Adventures some day, too. It's not done yet, so far as I can tell. I'll give it an honest try once I am done with the 4th gym on Sienna, I guess!
Old October 10th, 2010 (04:07 AM).
ModeratorBSCSEO

Send a message via Skype™ to Hermione Granger
I'm gonna jump up and say play the Ruby Destiny Trilogy, by destinedjagold. Its a unique game, if I do say so myself.
Old October 10th, 2010 (08:48 AM).
Platinum Tier

Nature: Brave
Well I'd recommend the ruby destiny trio by destinedjagold. search for one of his posts, the links to download the games are in his signiture, or you could just go to his profile, i think he has links there too. They are the best ever, i have to say, they got me going on hacking and gave me ideas of stuff that no one else has in their hacks. OH and i suggest you go to the progressing hacks forum, cause there are the best hacks ever there, but you'll have to wait till the they're done. Some of the best there are:

Quote:
BlueMoon
AshGray
and i promise that POKEMON THE 3RD DIMENSION, which I'm am currently working on with my team leaded by xenio, will be one of the best hacks in history, cause we're going into the most advanced forms of hacking, and if i ever finish my trio:

Quote:
POKEMON FIRE LEGENDS ERA OF DESTRUCTION
POKEMON WATER LEGENDS DEEP SEA CURRENTS
POKEMON DRAGON LEGENDS PATH TO SALVATION
They will be part of hacking history.

Old October 13th, 2010 (01:03 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
Sorry for hijacking this topic, but are there any hacks out there which allow me to play as a member of Team Rocket? I already got Pokemon Topaz by bazza, which is awesome. I also read something about RocketRed and a ToxicPurple hack, but they where both cancelled if I'm not mistaken.
Old October 13th, 2010 (03:10 PM).
Yours truly
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by Ghost Down:
Sorry for hijacking this topic, but are there any hacks out there which allow me to play as a member of Team Rocket? I already got Pokemon Topaz by bazza, which is awesome. I also read something about RocketRed and a ToxicPurple hack, but they where both cancelled if I'm not mistaken.
ToxicPurple hasn't been officially canceled but I don't think the author has logged on in quite some time now. Still, there's a playable alpha in the thread if you're interested. The only other hack I can think of is Rocket's Revenge but I don't know the details about gameplay, available releases, etc.

Brother of Vrai
Old October 13th, 2010 (11:32 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
Too bad that their aren't anymore, a story based around Team Rocket or any other evil team would make for a great game.
Old November 4th, 2010 (08:18 AM).
Enthusiastic Rom Hacker

pokemon top secret (still a beta i think) by meggido will blow ur mind!
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links