Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 2nd, 2010 (06:36 AM).
Crazyninjaguy
I'm back.

Well i'm using the same graphics structure as Poccil so that people can move all their stuff over if they wanted, like Battlers, Cries etc.

I'm pretty sure that the battle call will be different, and badges will be different yes.
Old October 2nd, 2010 (07:12 AM).
IceGod64
My imagination.

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by Crazyninjaguy:
Well i'm using the same graphics structure as Poccil so that people can move all their stuff over if they wanted, like Battlers, Cries etc.

I'm pretty sure that the battle call will be different, and badges will be different yes.
Actually, that's a good thing.

I always thought badges should be controlled by switches, not variables. and Poccils is just a number. That's dumb because it required the player to get badges in a specific order (Consider how it's possible to get the Marsg Badge and Volcano badge in either order, that would mess with the variable in ways it should'nt.)

Will it be easy to edit things such as stat calculation? In my Pokemon Essentials project, I removed IV's and did a few changes like that, would it be easy to reproduce in this kit?

Also I take it all the 5th gen Pokemon/moves will be in the kit? I like the sound of that.

Old October 2nd, 2010 (07:19 AM).
koby1
The M4's Best Freind

Nature: Hasty

This is a great thing, most people have that problem with calling scripts and they dont know where they have gone wrong, maybe they can get a fresh new start and possibly something that its easier to code in a 1 2 3 process

Currently beta testing:
Pokemon Uranium ( And Loving it! )
Old October 2nd, 2010 (07:24 AM).
Crazyninjaguy
I'm back.

Quote originally posted by IceGod64:
Actually, that's a good thing.

I always thought badges should be controlled by switches, not variables. and Poccils is just a number. That's dumb because it required the player to get badges in a specific order (Consider how it's possible to get the Marsg Badge and Volcano badge in either order, that would mess with the variable in ways it should'nt.)
Yeah, it'll be switch based

Will it be easy to edit things such as stat calculation? In my Pokemon Essentials project, I removed IV's and did a few changes like that, would it be easy to reproduce in this kit?
Yeah, it uses the default RMXP stat calculation system, so you can set the stat at level 1 and 99 and it'll create a curve for you, or you can set a curve with your mouse.

Also I take it all the 5th gen Pokemon/moves will be in the kit? I like the sound of that.
Yup, as soon as i can get all the info they will be.
I have all the graphics etc, i just need movesets and stuff, so if anyone can help with that it'd be great
Old October 2nd, 2010 (07:37 AM).
Minorthreat0987
Pokemon Tellurium

Nature: Adamant
Just curious, you said it uses the default RMXP stat calculation, does that mean that the battle system will not calculate stats and damage like the pokemon battle system, it will just look like it? or are you editing the functions so that the default RMXP stat calculations function like the real pokemon games?
Old October 2nd, 2010 (07:37 AM).
IceGod64
My imagination.

I have all the graphics etc, i just need movesets and stuff, so if anyone can help with that it'd be great
I missed something in the thread before... I missed your Neo Mode 07 Example. Those are sprites, right?

Using mode 07, is it possible to make an actuall layered cliff look? like the DS games?

So, with the stats being set up using RPGMXP's default info, will the EV's/IV's system exist in the engine or is that gone?

Are the moves defined separately in the engine like Pokemon essentials, or are they also build into the projects database?

Finally, what do you mean help with movesets? I'm wondering if I might be able to assist.

Old October 2nd, 2010 (07:41 AM).
Crazyninjaguy
I'm back.

Not sure about the layered cliff, i'm not too sure about what you're referring to, maybe a screenie?

Nah, i'll add IV's and EV's in there in scripts, but allow them to be turned off.
Moves will be in the project database, as will animations.

As for the movesets, i just need movelists for each pokemon really.
Old October 2nd, 2010 (07:55 AM).
IceGod64
My imagination.

Not sure about the layered cliff, i'm not too sure about what you're referring to, maybe a screenie?

As for the movesets, i just need movelists for each pokemon really.
Bulbapedia has that all recorded... Although what all the moves do doesn't seem to be listed.

This is what I meant by "Layered cliffs".

Old October 2nd, 2010 (09:14 AM).
Poeman
Booted out - don't be like me!

He means a Z value to map with.
Old October 2nd, 2010 (09:52 AM).
Crazyninjaguy
I'm back.

It may be possible, i haven't tried myself.

Just finished making something that i think is a great feature.
Instead of having to download a whole project file to upgrade to the next version, i made an update utility which offers the following options:

- Check for updated version.
- Revert Script Customizations

Screenshot:
Spoiler:

Comments?
Old October 2nd, 2010 (09:57 AM).
IceGod64
My imagination.

Looks great to me!
I like that. A nice update application.

Old October 2nd, 2010 (10:20 AM).
Crazyninjaguy
I'm back.

Took a little while but i have it working.
I've now added the Revert Script Customizations option, and added some music, so it's all done now ^____^

Later on, i'll make it so it not only downloads the script file, but extra graphics needed too.
Old October 2nd, 2010 (11:13 AM).
IceGod64
My imagination.

Can I make a suggestion regarding the Battle System?

You mentioned earlier that you weren''t going to get started on the battle system until you got all of the Pokemon imported.

Would it perhaps be more efficient to get just a certain number of Pokemon ready (Example, the first 151) and start on the battle system with just them and then expand on it later? I mean, do whatever you feel works best, but I'm just thinking it'd be easier to manage if you start with a lower number anyway.

Also, I don't believe I've seen this question factually answered so I'll ask: Can the second screen be disabled?

Old October 2nd, 2010 (11:23 AM).
Crazyninjaguy
I'm back.

Nah, you got a bit muddled there, i may have put it wrong.
Once i have the system for adding/editing pokemon in place, i'll then have the methods i need for the battle system.

It's like an insanely hard jigsaw lol, all the pieces fit together eventually, but you have to do the edges first.
Old October 2nd, 2010 (04:21 PM).
help-14
Trainer

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to help-14
Bulbapedia has that all recorded... Although what all the moves do doesn't seem to be listed.

This is what I meant by "Layered cliffs".
Maybe i can help with this, yesterday i made a zoom character script, you can use it to zoom player, event so it'll look like walk on cliffs
Old October 2nd, 2010 (08:43 PM).
jim42

This sounds great! I always wondered why Poccil didn't just use the inbuilt databases for moves, Pokemon/characters, items etc. I'm sure he has his reasons but if you can make this work I would be incredibly indebted to you. I stopped working on what I had for Poccil's Essentials because of hard it was to add new things into it, mostly Pokemon (I was overwriting the old 151). Can't wait for a release!

Also with the Neo Made 7 thing, I don't think it has been asked but will that be turn off-able or adjustable to suit a particular gradient? Umm I don't think I have anything else to ask so I await your answer and wish you best of luck completing this initiative!
Old October 2nd, 2010 (09:34 PM).
aSeRo141414
zZJoennZz inside

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Yahoo to aSeRo141414 Send a message via Skype™ to aSeRo141414
It may be possible, i haven't tried myself.

Just finished making something that i think is a great feature.
Instead of having to download a whole project file to upgrade to the next version, i made an update utility which offers the following options:

- Check for updated version.
- Revert Script Customizations

Screenshot:
Spoiler:

Comments?
This good to me too. I like that idea..
Old October 3rd, 2010 (01:25 AM).
Crazyninjaguy
I'm back.

Quote originally posted by help-14:
Maybe i can help with this, yesterday i made a zoom character script, you can use it to zoom player, event so it'll look like walk on cliffs
Neo Mode 07 has zooming built in :D
But thanks anyway.

Quote originally posted by jim42:
This sounds great! I always wondered why Poccil didn't just use the inbuilt databases for moves, Pokemon/characters, items etc. I'm sure he has his reasons but if you can make this work I would be incredibly indebted to you. I stopped working on what I had for Poccil's Essentials because of hard it was to add new things into it, mostly Pokemon (I was overwriting the old 151). Can't wait for a release!

Also with the Neo Made 7 thing, I don't think it has been asked but will that be turn off-able or adjustable to suit a particular gradient? Umm I don't think I have anything else to ask so I await your answer and wish you best of luck completing this initiative!
Yes, it is switchable.
I know that some people don't like it for some reason.
Old October 3rd, 2010 (03:04 AM).
IceGod64
My imagination.

Neo Mode 07 has zooming built in :D
But thanks anyway.
Another thing that would be the ability to control a trainer's Pokemon's EVs, IVs, and Genders individually. Pokemon essentials is very limited in that aspect.

How will you define Trainers actually? I'm curious. Will you use the Essentials method or do you have something better in mind?

Old October 3rd, 2010 (03:44 AM).
Crazyninjaguy
I'm back.

Well i'm still working on the 'edges' as it were, but i'm pretty sure it'll be different.

Another update, i've been working hard on a system to add pokemon and such, and i've finally managed to make it work, and not only that, but it doesn't change the level of the species now, only the pokemon you're adding which is great
Old October 3rd, 2010 (07:36 AM).
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

I just thought I'd note that this isn't how Essentials works. The badges are stored in an array (like a group of switches in one place), and you can toggle whichever ones you want in whichever order you want. What you're probably thinking of is another function that simply counts how many badges the player has, which just looks at the array and counts how many badges have been obtained.
Old October 3rd, 2010 (12:27 PM).
Crazyninjaguy
I'm back.

As i said earlier, i've nailed the adding/editing of pokemon, so here is the selection screen :D

Spoiler:
Old October 3rd, 2010 (12:45 PM).
majorgames
Master trainer

Nature: Relaxed
sweet selection screen dude

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old October 4th, 2010 (12:52 AM).
jim42

Yes, it is switchable.
I know that some people don't like it for some reason.
It isn't that I don't like it, I just think the feature seems inappropriate for indoors areas and such. But I will give it a go come release time and see how it works with what I'm looking to do. I will decide whether or not to use it then, and knowing that I have the option to turn it off is pleasing.

I was also wondering whether maps will tile like in PE. If not that's no problem, that's what the adjoining building things are for. If so, will it have the ungodly amount of lag that PE was able to have?

And I would assume it isn't hard to implement, but is it on the to do list that you can assign multiple town map squares to a single actual map? Unlike in PE, where each town map tile had to have its own sub map.
Old October 4th, 2010 (10:34 AM).
Crazyninjaguy
I'm back.

How do you mean maps will tile?
Pokemon Essentials uses the RMXP way of mapping, so if you mean about mapping, then yes, everything is the same.

At the moment, there's no lag, and i aim to keep it that way.
As for the town map, i'm sure i can do that

Ok, i've been working on an animated pokemon system today.
I now have it working fully for front and back sprites.
Also, your pokemon animation can have any number of frames.
Oh yeah, you can't use animated .gif files for it, it has to be set out in a long line of sprites. More info on that when the first release is out.

For now, enjoy this small demo i made of the animating pokemon
NOTE: Outdated method/classes but it still works and shows you exactly what it will be like in game.

http://www.mediafire.com/?o8x64b6yq6b1wem

Sponsored Links