The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

View Poll Results: Which Starter is the best?
Turtwig, Grotle, Torterra 40 26.85%
Chimchar, Monferno, Infernape 50 33.56%
Piplup, Prinplup, Empoleon 59 39.60%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 1st, 2010, 05:15 AM
macksstream
Charizard Champion

Nature: Calm
Ok, well this is my first thread and I thought of an interesting idea and it wasn't an existing thread so I thought I might make it.

Which of the three Sinnoh starter Pokemon do you think is the best? Turtwig, Piplup or Chimchar?

Now you can judge this on a wide range of criteria including moveset, stats and final evolutions. There's pretty much no restrictions on that.

So basically I want you to vote on the poll and then say why you chose what you did, argue your case.

I'm going to start, and go with Piplup. It's the Pokemon I started with and although I don't like water Pokemon very much it was a great starter with a solid moveset and moveset potential. Also, even though it's evolved into Empoleon now, it could pretty much beat the Elite Four by itself on my first Pokemon League challenge. It's steel type also gives you a huge advantage over many other types, such as grass (which doesn't do super-effective damage). It only has 2 types which are super-effective against it too I think, which are Electric and Ground. So I found that Empoleon was the best of the Sinnoh Starters.

So post your replies please!
Old October 1st, 2010, 06:25 AM
AshPikastar
It's Question Time!

Send a message via Skype™ to AshPikastar
Chimchar is what I've used twice on Platinum and Diamond and Pearl. I personally like using Chimchar better then Piplup. I tried Piplup before and thought he was ok. Chimchar had good moves to start with while Piplup in my opinion didn't have that many good moves. I enjoyed Chimchar last form, Infernape.
Old October 1st, 2010, 06:30 AM
Mickeycricky
Mickeycricky

Nature: Gentle
I think it's gotta be Turtwig. Torterra has beastly stats in my opinion. I've never had any problems with him so far. I can always count on him to save me when I'm in a tight situation. I tried to use a Piplup, but I wasn't clicking with him very well. Once he was an Empoleon, he kept getting 1 hit KO's against EVERY electric type I put him up against. Maybe it was my training, or the fact that I didn't really like him once I started using him, I don't know. And I just find Chimchar overrated and annoying
Old October 1st, 2010, 06:39 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
The Piplup line for me. Empoleon can learn moves that damage Torterra and Infernape super effectively (Ice Beam or Drill Peck for the former; STAB Surf/Hydro Pump for the latter)

Old October 1st, 2010, 07:36 AM
Sho7gun
IV Inquisitor

Nature: Quiet
I've gone for Chimchar nearly ever time If I ever find myself in a pinch.....
"GO! INFERNAPE!!!"
"Infernape Uses Close Combat....."
"The (insert pokemon here) fainted!"
I only use Infernape where I can finish that opponents monster in one turn
Especially Close Combat, Killer if you use it too early in a fight
But yea.....Chimchar...good idea for a 1st thread
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:49 AM
Emotional Intelligence
You may call me "EI"

Nature: Serious
None. I usually dump it in PC Box 1 the first chance I get, but if I had to choose.. I'd go for the water types.. I chose Squirtle as a kid.
Old October 1st, 2010, 10:12 AM
PokéGuru
Professor Spruce.

Nature: Modest
None. Dump it ASAP. They are called 'starter' pokemon for a reason people? :/. Nobody seems to understand your only meant to use them for the START .
Old October 1st, 2010, 11:23 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin

Oh god...they're all so good....

Here's my in-depth analysis:

#392 Infernape
Fire/Fighting

- Whilst Torterra and Empoleon actually lose resistances, Infernape gains one (Rock).
- Can be hit super-effectively by all other members of its' trio by STAB
- It gets STAB super-effectiveness on both of the aforementioned evolutions (Fire > Torterra, Fighting > Empoleon).
- Fastest of both its' types.
- Highest BST out of Fighting pokemon.
- One of the best wall-breakers left in OU.
- Only one of Sinnoh starters vulnerable to Sandstorm.
- Learns damaging attacks of: Normal, Fire, Fighting, Dark, Grass, Steel, Ground, Rock, Flying, Ghost, Poison, Bug, Electric (13 types)
- Has identical typing to Blaziken.
- Can learn attacks which hit super-effectively against the signature type of all 8 Sinnoh Gym Leaders and all 4 Sinnoh Elite Four.
- Has the highest Base Stat Total (BST) of all Sinnoh starters.

#395 Empoleon
Water/Steel

- Is tied as the 4th most resistant pokemon of all.
- Can be hit super-effectively by all other members of its' trio by STAB.
- Has the highest Base SpA of all starters.
- Tied 2nd slowest starter.
- Empoleon and Prinplup are unique in the ability to learn both Pound and Tackle.
- Learns damaging attacks of: Normal, Water, Flying, Steel, Ice, Ground, Fighting, Rock, Dark, Ghost, Grass, Bug (12 types)
- Only pokemon resistant to both water and dragon.
- It and Heatran are the only non-ice type pokemon with a double-resist to Ice.
- Learns 7 HM moves, more than all other starters (not Fly).
- Only steel-type starter.
- It and Dialga are the only water-resisting steel-types.
- One of 3 pokemon to get STAB Steel Wing.
- Can hit all of the signature types of all 8 Sinnoh Gym Leaders and all 4 Sinnoh Elite Four super-effectively.

#389 Torterra
Grass/Ground

- Has a unique type combination
- Has highest Base Def of all starters.
- Has lowest Base Spe of all starters.
- Can be hit super-effectively by both other members of its' trio (only Infernape uses STAB)
- Has the same species name as Groudon (Continent Pokemon)
- Evolves at the lowest level of all starters, tied with Feraligatr at lv.32
- Only Sinnoh starter to learn a dragon-type move.
- Learns damaging moves of: Grass, Normal, Dark, Ground, Steel, Rock, Fighting, Dragon (8 types)
- Has the least varied movepool of all Sinnoh starters. However, it can still hit the signature types of all 4 Sinnoh Elite Four super-effectively.

So, whilst they are all brilliant (Infernape is probably the least imaginative, but I still love him), I would say Torterra probably loses out overall, and for that reason, I'm backing the underdog, Torterra.
Old October 1st, 2010, 11:55 AM
Timbjerr
Makes a Splash!

Nature: Timid
It's a tossup between Torterra and Infernape for me. This is odd because they have two distinctly different playstyles. XD

Torterra is very heavily defensive and is more suited for stall teams while Infernape is a glass cannon that finds himself on heavy sweeping teams. They're two of my favorite Sinnoh pokemon designwise, but I give the slight edge to Torterra because of my own affinity for stall teams. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokéGuru View Post
None. Dump it ASAP. They are called 'starter' pokemon for a reason people? :/. Nobody seems to understand your only meant to use them for the START -_-.
orly? Is that why they're all designed to have amazing stats when fully evolved? XD

Last edited by Timbjerr; October 1st, 2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old October 1st, 2010, 01:35 PM
Fever
Trainer

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Fever
I actually haven't played this series of games yet. On my way to buy one today actually.
Just thought I'd check out this thread to see which starter everyone thinks is the best.
Although, personally, I prefer the fire starter myself.
Old October 1st, 2010, 05:09 PM
Spikey-Eared Pichu
Pichu-pi!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to Spikey-Eared Pichu
To me, the best starter is Piplup. Unlike either of its affiliates, it can take down both Roark and Gardenia without needing to evolve (Peck ftw). Also, Empoleon rapes Floatzel, Lumineon, Tentacruel, and every other Water-type you can catch prior to National in D/P/Pt. +Steel sub-type makes it resistant to pretty mch everything except Fire, Electric, Fighting, Grass and Ground as those types are either super-effective or deal neutral damage. Only downside is the possible "Unbeatable Rival Battle" when you first start (Barry has Turtwig use Withraw until it's so resistant to damage that you're begging for a critical hit.)

If you feel like battling, send me a message (: I do use hacked Pokemon and am not afraid to admit it. If you have an restriction (No DW Pokemon, no legendaries, etc.) I'd be happy to oblige by those rules.
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:09 PM
The Garchomper
Beginning Trainer

Well i have played Diamond, Pearl and Platinum all with the different starters and i have to say that i think Turtwig. By the time that you evolve into Torterra and you have learnt Earthquake the only Pokemon that you can't beat are flying type Pokemon and even with that you can teach it moves that can beat them anyway. I did Pearl with Turtwig and i almost made it through the entire Pokemon League using Torterra only.

If someone is starting the game for the first time, torterra is the starter to choose
Old October 4th, 2010, 02:38 AM
the :D
<- heracross ftw!

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to the :D Send a message via Skype™ to the :D
turtwig, grotle, torterra!

torterra is an epic win; he'll kick ass anywhere, seriously - in the end you have earthquake, frenzy plant, giga drain, and crunch. seriously, only like steel-flying or honchkrow can stand up to that.

the only problem with him is his special attack -- or rather, his lack of it.
Old October 4th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Aquacorde
↪ i can do anything

Nature: Bold
Piplup, Prinplup, Empoleon for me. I don't know, I just feel like it is very steady with good defense while still being a hard hitter with decent speed. Very well rounded, which is what I like in a Pokemon.
Old October 4th, 2010, 12:45 PM
123wert50
Pokemon Master

Piplup definitly. Did I mention in SS, I have lvl. 100 of all of the third-form's of the starters. Not hacked either. BTW I bread a lot.
Old October 5th, 2010, 11:58 AM
AlexAhnon
Lurking around.

Nature: Jolly
I can't really choose. I find them all very useful in certain situations through the game. However, I would have to choose the Piplup line because of Empoleon's Water/Steel dual type. It renders Grass type moves in-effective, but the only disadvantage is that it lets Fire-pokémon have a chance to kill me as well.

But that's why we got Drill Peck and Hydro Pump, am I 'rite? And that Aqua Jet, I can't tell you how useful it is when your going for a quick KO against a Fire pokémon.

Also for those who dumps starter pokémon, I've only used my starter, no other pokémon and I've beat all the pokémon games really easy. Solo pokémon runs are just for the win!
Old October 5th, 2010, 12:08 PM
ScentedLove
Hopeless Romantic

Nature: Timid
I'm going to say Chimchar because its one of the few fire types you can accquire in the beginning of the game, and its good agains't the first few gyms. Also its my personal favorite I have a shiny female one still in my pokemon platinum that I transferred to my pokemon soul silver.
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:08 PM
JessiexJackknife
enjoys wearing togas

Piplup line. It's a Penguin. A giant steely water penguin. 'Nough said.

And I've just had the best luck with him out of the Sinnoh starters.

Old October 5th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Team Carbon Boss: Roran
Gonna quit this website.

Nature: Impish
The seem to have equal support
I despise torterra for it's bulkiness. It's SSSSOOOOOOO FREAKIN' SLOW!
Piplup WONT LEARN ANY FREAKIN MOVES! everytime I start out with it, I end up starting over out of PURE FUSTRATION
CHIMCHAR FTW
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Captain Hobo.
Posting King

I like Turtwig the best it is just beast. XD

If you want to chat with me shoot me a VM. Trust me I can't bite you through the computer
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
I chose Chimchar! I love the chimchar line, I also think the chimchar line is probably the strongest!
Old October 6th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Nickmonster
I AmThe Best So Give It A Rest

I always love Chimchar. To tell the truth the only reason is becuase its my favorite type,Fire. But that's the only reason. Plus the final forms are always great.
Old October 7th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Roxichu
Blastoff at the Speed of Light

Nature: Sassy
In D/P/Pt, Chimchar is the only Fire type available until Ponyta (lol) midway through the game, whereas grass and water are available in incredible abundance.

But if you at all can, trade to get all three starters and you can have your cake and eat it too. ;P
Old October 7th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Asrodrig
#1 Meowth fan

Nature: Relaxed
A Monkey with a flaming butt? I was sold instantly.

Friend Code (White): 1249 3339 2199
Friend Code (SoulSilver): 3868 3924 6847
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:34 PM
TheGoddessOfDiscord
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Careful
Turtwig FTW!!! I just love it... But other starters are awesome as well.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links