Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 17th, 2011 (02:08 PM).
tnguye3
Very, very, very lazy spriter.

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Nimblethumbs:
And now for the inevitable evil crit. Ok, firstly, my backsprite crit is not as good as my front-sprite crit. The main issue is his beak. Let's look at the front sprite:

That spike thing on the back sprite is much to straight compared to the front one, and the outline is too light. Also, there's a design issue. The front sprite has red spikes on the cheek, while the back doesn't. The fire on the front sprite is wild, while the fire on the back is straight. And there should be atleast a little bit of the white fluff on it chest on the backsprite.

Overall, the backsprite needs some smoothing, just to make it look like the front.

And why is he looking into space like that, in a whole other direction x)?
Umm, actually the backsprite is meant to be for the first evolution stage. xD

And about the fish -- umm, i dunno maybe he got stoned. xD
Old March 18th, 2011 (05:05 AM).
keshavkd

Uhmm... Just wondering the tutorial u made is amazing but im stuck at the Stage 3 onwards.. Can u make a Vid of tht.. pleaaaaasseee?.. n ur work is godly!!!!
Old March 18th, 2011 (01:56 PM).
Dorandragon
The Pixel Master

Nature: Jolly
You are an amazing scratch artist! I love the shading and the fire and just ALL of it! :D even though the sprites are big, that just allows you to make even more detail apparent. Spriting small is HARD to do. I myself was struggling with that(and still am for that matter!), but I practiced spriting in the confines of 64x64, 45x45 for a base pokemon, 55x55 for a 1st stage, and 64x64 for 2nd stage. Trying that will probably help you to learn how to shrink down your sprites to nice sizes. I hope you continue and surpass me (which you dont have far to go! not far at all!) witch i think you have the capability to do!

Old March 18th, 2011 (03:15 PM).
tnguye3

@Dorandragon
Thanks! I've actually been practising trying to get the basic pokemon stages small in size (Panda and Blaydite) and it's pretty difficult. xD
I also prefer to sprite "bigger" as smaller sprites tend to make my sprites look like they're "squashed", although I don't have the required skills to sprite big/huge as I have only been learning how to do Pokemon sprites of, well, 80x80 and 96x96. x3
Anyways thanks for those canvas sizes I might try it out and see how I go along shrinking my Sprite size.

@keshavkd
Yeah the shading part is the most difficult part! xD
If I find the time I'll try post up a video tut or something.

Also, another backsprite. This time of the 1st evolution stage of the Steel Fish for Pokemon Iron and Stone:
Old March 20th, 2011 (05:52 PM).
keshavkd

Thnx tnguye3... :D I hope i can atleast make fakemon..
Old March 20th, 2011 (09:12 PM).
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

Please refrain from posting spam, and try commenting on the sprites at least. Criticism is recommended in some posts as well. Mostly directing this to keshavkd.
Old March 28th, 2011 (11:42 AM).
tnguye3

Okey dokey here's another backsprite, this time it's the 1st stage Grass Bunny evolution for Pokemon Iron and Stone:
Old April 4th, 2011 (01:54 PM).
bwb234
Beginning Trainer

Thanks for the tutorial its what i needed
Old April 4th, 2011 (01:57 PM).
Gregtom2
Beginning Trainer

Wow, those are really good, how much experience do you have?
Old April 10th, 2011 (12:44 PM).
mon/donkeys
Beginning Trainer

I would love to look at your sprites especially after all the compliments you have been receiving. However, I can't see the pictures inside the tags. Maybe you can just have them be outside tags inside the post or tell me another way that would help me look at your things.
Old April 10th, 2011 (01:45 PM).
Dorandragon
The Pixel Master

Nature: Jolly
Actually, the one ear leaf outline of teh bunny looks a bit messy. might wanna fix it.

Old April 24th, 2011 (04:45 PM).
sfalpharyu
Beginning Trainer

wow your stuff is improving :D good job :D
Old April 25th, 2011 (03:15 AM).
Rionix
My girlfriend is a crazy fox

Nature: Modest
I gotta say, these sprites are all nicely done. Some are original and some seems like a fusion but oh well, its all beautiful so..

TWO THUMBS UP THERE MY FRIEND
Old May 5th, 2011 (01:07 PM).
tnguye3

@DoranDragon
Oh my, nothing gets past through the eyes of pixel masters.
TBH yeah I was sloppy with the Grass Bunny's left ear as you can see, I just made a straight line hoping no one would realise... xD

@Rionix
All scratched.

@Mon/Donkeys
Change your theme or try to use different browsers. Happens to me sometimes too. xD
Old May 17th, 2011 (06:03 PM).
tnguye3

Well, haven't been spriting in a while but yeh.
Here's a legendary for Pokemon New Dawn (argh forgot the name, but it's meant to be the opposite of Parnel, y'know kinda like Groudon and Kyogre or Dialga and Palkia).

So now, we have the ice diety and fire diety. :>
Old May 18th, 2011 (07:18 PM).
GFA
Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
I, no joke, just did a jaw drop. The shading is spectacular, though I feel the fire is a bit too uniform and dull (color-wise). Also, aren't the new BW boundaries 93x93? Because this is 96x96.
Old May 26th, 2011 (12:34 PM).
tnguye3

@GFA
Nope, dimensions are 96x96.
Thanks for the crit, i tried to make it seem like the fire are its "wings" (the guy still can't fly tho btw) the way that Parnel has Ice as its wings, but i see your point.
As for the colors i thought the bright fire pallette just didn't suit it cause its red body is kinda dark and the colors just looked awkward, but i might take a look later. ;p

Anyways here're the next sprites, for Pokemon Iron and Stone:
Twibat

And the backsprite:
Old June 2nd, 2011 (01:01 AM).
tnguye3

Revamp of ~Kian~ 's Ghost fakemon. :3
Old June 2nd, 2011 (04:19 AM).
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
Twibat might just be too big for a 64x64-supporting Pokemon hack.
Also, you might want to enlarge its mouth so both of its bloodsucking jaws are visible.
Old June 2nd, 2011 (07:16 AM). Edited June 2nd, 2011 by tnguye3.
tnguye3

actually fireworks moved from rom based hack to RPG Maker.
And about the jaw, I think you meant "blood sucking teeth"? xD

Update:
I thought I'd try something new, and here's mah first Mugshot of myself (for my first trainer sprite lol). x3

Some crit would be nice, cause I wanna get good with it so i can do mugshots of other people (specifically hack team members).
Old June 2nd, 2011 (08:48 AM).
The 100 Mega Shock
Donator Tier 3

Quote originally posted by tnguye3:
@GFA
Nope, dimensions are 96x96.

Anyways here're the next sprites, for Pokemon Iron and Stone:
Twibat
It's big - but is it not excessively big?

It diminishes the sense of scale for any random Pokémon to completely fill the sprite canvas like that, unless you plan to draw every sprite at a larger than normal size and make truly large Pokémon fill an even bigger canvas.

At this point, such a large sprite also servers to highlight the lack of any advanced technique going on in the sprite. There are no colour limits to work around when working on a PC platform that uses PNG files to display graphics yet there is a lot here which can be polished by using more colours when necessary.

There isn't a single instance of in-between colours being used to smooth the area where two contrasting colours meet, not even where the white and blue areas on its torso meet. Its eyes are very poorly blended and aren't even outlined - bright red meets a dark blue and a bright white without a single pixel to blend the two areas togther when this is done on official sprites where strongly constrasting areas meet.

See how the black bands on Electivire have pixels where they meet the bright yellow body that are a colour in-between yellow and black, as to blend the two areas together.

This one is a very good example of how large areas of shading can be smoother over with another colour used where the light and shadows meet.

A strong contrast between the bright and dark blues on its snout is smoothed out by placing a few pixels between them

The zig-zagging stripes and green areas are smoothed out as much as possible.

And this thing used in one of BW's menus shows what can be used to make a much larger sprite look nicer.

Where these sprites can get away without using in-between colours to smooth out shades it's often only because they are a lot smaller than the sprite you've drawn here, and they don't have spaces nearly as large filled with colour.

When drawing large eyes it helps a lot to have a well-coloured outline between the face and the eye to give it shape and to define the eyes away from the rest of the face, and often use of darker and lighter colours inside the eyes to give them a smoothly curved shape and blend areas together.

In this sprite, Feraligatr's comparatively tiny eye uses 7 different colors.
Old June 2nd, 2011 (09:00 AM).
tnguye3

I can't see any sprites apart from the Jigglypuff which you posted.
In any case since you mentioned electiwire, I followed what you were saying and I'm assuming that you're touching up on "Anti-aliasing".
Yeh I realised that I don't use that technique in any of my sprites, so i might take a look at it and apply it to my next couple sprites.
Thanks for the tip.
Old June 17th, 2011 (06:41 AM).
W4RP4NDA
Beginning Trainer

How come I can't see anything? I open the spoiler and nothing is there. Just text.
Old June 21st, 2011 (09:02 AM).
tnguye3

@ W4RP4NDA
Happens to me too from time to time, try using various browsers or clear your cache.
Anyways, spriting a starter line as a request:

Shrubby:
Bristledge:

Looks kinda rough, but I was sketchy with it (especially Shrubby - lol), and I'm still trying to figure Bristledge's pallete for his forehead/helm thingy. Also tried anti-aliasing on his forehead, but it's just not really my thing so I removed it. Maybe i might try it on the final stage and see how it looks.
Old June 21st, 2011 (09:29 AM). Edited June 21st, 2011 by dooku01.
dooku01
Save the manatees!

Nature: Brave
... [so amazing there's nothing to say]

fav:

mind if i use him as my avatar?

EDIT:

Tried to edit Bristledge to make a possible third evolution. Haha! Shading stinks.

Save the manatees OR YOU WILL DIE. Manatees are awesome.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links