Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Reload this Page [Tool] DS Map Graphics Editor

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: Do you want Platinum, HG/SS and BW first Map for the first release?
Yes 397 90.85%
No, later 40 9.15%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 25th, 2011 (02:51 AM).

Pokemon Black and white version of the map you how the hackers?
Old December 19th, 2011 (02:54 AM).
French Rom-Hacker

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Link_971
Quote originally posted by Porygon Z:
Hi man. Do you need some help with an Italian translation?

Not actually, but thanks for your help.
The project is "paused" at this time.

Quote originally posted by Pokewiz000:
805587804 is my friend and he is only 13-year-old. so, he used Google translation, =.=

I think he want to say "Does your tools can hack B/W's Map ?"

"Today", not.
"Tomorrow", yes, sure.

The Map structure are the same for all files.

Quote originally posted by HyperXhydra:
It's better to finish the D/P maps first, it's still early to hack the 5th generation.
At this rate, I think it will finish in 2014.
BTW thanks Link_971 for creating this tool also who supports him, I've been waiting for this for a long time.

Thanks to you, too.
And thanks to Pichu2000, PokémonShinySilver, Team Fail, and the others!

Old January 8th, 2012 (11:23 AM).

yes finnaly a black and white hacking tool.
i'll follow this tread
Old January 8th, 2012 (12:17 PM).

Quote originally posted by HyperXhydra:
It's better to finish the D/P maps first, it's still early to hack the 5th generation.
And who decided that? Why should D/P support be anything but an afterthought?
Old January 9th, 2012 (05:28 AM).

D/P is too old. now lets BW is on 1 st priorty since is new one than D/P....
Old January 10th, 2012 (03:17 PM).

Yeah I agree, you should do BW first.
Old January 29th, 2012 (11:12 AM).
French Rom-Hacker

Don't worry, i work on each version, but the priority is DP.
Rev8 is on the road, with new functionnalities.

Old January 29th, 2012 (02:23 PM).
Alter Ego
Crystal Tier

Great progression link.
Could you maybe tell more about what Rev8 has for changes compared to Rev7?

Current giveaways:
Old January 29th, 2012 (04:35 PM).
French Rom-Hacker

- New things to edit (models, textures, permissions movements, musics, maybe first individual textures, maybe camera angle too)
- Updates of translations
- A 3D Viewer in the group tab (YAMV, PG4Map or another project)
- A system of "favorites" to keep / edit where the marks are positionned into the Map
- "Source" of translations, documentation, in a dedicated website, the project hosted on Google Code will be removed soon

So, we have many editors, now!
Good luck for your projects!

Old January 30th, 2012 (08:56 AM).
THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.

Nature: Timid
This project seems to be coming along fabulously.
I'm laughing at the people saying "Don't do DP, do BW since it's new". In case you haven't noticed, we don't actually have a proper tool to edit Gen IV maps yet, so why would he just stop concentrating on it? Besides, we're already safe in the knowledge that this tool will edit BW maps at some point anyway, so just kick back and relax. I for one can't wait for this purely because In my HG hack, I've edited everything EXCEPT the maps, so I can't wait to play around with this.

Link, btw, can you please implement some of the things PPRE has (Wild Pokemon editing and even position editing)? PPRE isn't easy to use for anything other than trainer and wild pokemon editing.
Old January 30th, 2012 (09:41 AM). Edited January 30th, 2012 by droomph.
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
Yeah guys, don't rush the process.

Anyways, just wanted to say right now, it's not very usable. NO IT'S ACTUALLY MORE THAN I COULD HAVE EVER DONE (but it doesn't even has a release, so...)

But never mind me, it looks like has great potential, and I think it's coming along wonderfully also!

Not to mention everyone could actually use one...

Also, could you add in a small button somewhere that opens up our favorite script editor (Or PPRE. PPRE is da best.) like the one in Advanced Map? I don't think it would be too bad (but that's just me and my Mac, being all Cocoa and stuff), and it saves a lot of trouble with "loading the game for the first time" (with crossy fingers and all that), because you already have it loaded or whatever.

...Whatever, it's okay. Do whatever you need to do. Our requests should be implemented in, like, a 2.0 release (you're still on something like alpha testing, right?).

...I LOVE YOU (IN A PLATONIC WAY BUT STILL)'

(I can't wait...)

Old January 30th, 2012 (06:37 PM).

Quote originally posted by Skara:
This project seems to be coming along fabulously.
I'm laughing at the people saying "Don't do DP, do BW since it's new". In case you haven't noticed, we don't actually have a proper tool to edit Gen IV maps yet, so why would he just stop concentrating on it? Besides, we're already safe in the knowledge that this tool will edit BW maps at some point anyway, so just kick back and relax. I for one can't wait for this purely because In my HG hack, I've edited everything EXCEPT the maps, so I can't wait to play around with this.

Link, btw, can you please implement some of the things PPRE has (Wild Pokemon editing and even position editing)? PPRE isn't easy to use for anything other than trainer and wild pokemon editing.
Why not to BW first..There's no reason to do DP first.
Old January 30th, 2012 (06:47 PM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by NintendoBoyDX:
Great, YOU try. We don't even know how to change DP yet. There's no rush for BW because we don't know how to.

It's just like how Advance Map is still a work in progress, even 7 years and 2 generations behind the release of the original game.

My point is, HE'S A HUMAN. He has limits.

Old January 30th, 2012 (07:20 PM).
French Rom-Hacker

Because DP is a good start, with basic 3D Maps.
We need to experiment our knowledge on these Maps, first.

Old January 30th, 2012 (07:36 PM).
Dragon at heart
Platinum Tier

Nature: Brave
But there is a reason to do DP first. There are a multitude more editors for it, including a primitive script editor. BW doesn't have one yet, so why bother edit maps if we can't even script?
Quote originally posted by Link_971:
Because DP is a good start, with basic 3D Maps.
We need to experiment our knowledge on these Maps, first.
That too, since the BW mapping engine is heavily based (and modified) on the DP engine. We'd learn more if we cracked the DP files first, because we then have a general understanding of the BW mapping engine.

Do the best with whatever you can today.
Then tomorrow, you will have surely progressed.

The Legend of Legacy - Main Battle Theme
Old January 30th, 2012 (08:22 PM). Edited January 30th, 2012 by NintendoBoyDX.

So, because there is no script editor, a map editor should not be made either. There really is not logic in that. Anyway, BW first sounds good to me, and apparently 260+ other people? There's no reason to wait to do BW mapper after. If you plan on BW mapper at all, you're going to have to figure everything out in the end anyway, so no use doing DP first as if it's required.
Old January 30th, 2012 (08:38 PM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

So, because there is no script editor, a map editor should not be made either. There really is not logic in that. Anyway, BW first sounds good to me, and apparently 260+ other people? There's no reason to wait to do BW mapper after. If you plan on BW mapper at all, you're going to have to figure everything out in the end anyway, so no use doing DP first as if it's required.
Okay lookie here.

He is making one for BOTH 4th and 5th gen.

They have the same mapping system.

Old January 30th, 2012 (10:55 PM).
Dragon at heart
Platinum Tier

Nature: Brave
So taking the story of Unova and putting it into a custom region would totally make sense.

Anyways, Link, if you need to have the English translation fixed, PM me the stuff you have for the English translations and I'll polish it for you when I have time. I noticed the English translations weren't 100% accurate.

Edit: When it comes down to it, it's like which came first: the chicken or the egg. We can edit maps and keep the Unova storyline, or we can make custom games that take place in the Unova region. Take a pick.

Do the best with whatever you can today.
Then tomorrow, you will have surely progressed.

The Legend of Legacy - Main Battle Theme
Old January 31st, 2012 (03:36 PM).
The Legendary Master of Light!
Crystal Tier

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by droomph:
They have the same mapping system.
Kinda, but not quite the same. There's more overlays implemented in the mapping system structure and some of them changed, so it's more of an upgrade of the generation 4 mapping system, like how the camera moves when you enter a house for instance and whenever you enter though a warp in a different direction to where you'd normally enter a warp, it doesn't activate unless it's entered in the assigned direction you'd enter the warp in.

So to the mapping system of generation 5 will need more research in it's overlays and functionality.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm gradually learning to use Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 31st, 2012 (04:16 PM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by PokémonShinySilver:
Kinda, but not quite the same. There's more overlays implemented in the mapping system structure and some of them changed, so it's more of an upgrade of the generation 4 mapping system, like how the camera moves when you enter a house for instance and whenever you enter though a warp in a different direction to where you'd normally enter a warp, it doesn't activate unless it's entered in the assigned direction you'd enter the warp in.

So to the mapping system of generation 5 will need more research in it's overlays and functionality.
Well yeah, obviously. But we don't know how to fully map in Gen IV, so why bother inventing the car when you don't even have the wheel, you know?

Besides, thine Toolmasters will know so much about geometry commands afterwards anyways and it's just going to take some days of compiling and decompiling to figure it out.

Old January 31st, 2012 (06:24 PM).

Quote originally posted by Team Fail:
So taking the story of Unova and putting it into a custom region would totally make sense.

Anyways, Link, if you need to have the English translation fixed, PM me the stuff you have for the English translations and I'll polish it for you when I have time. I noticed the English translations weren't 100% accurate.

Edit: When it comes down to it, it's like which came first: the chicken or the egg. We can edit maps and keep the Unova storyline, or we can make custom games that take place in the Unova region. Take a pick.
It doesn't MATTER. As long as a mapper exists, maps are editable without hex editing it like an insane monkey. Scripts can always be sorted out later. Research can be done and a mapper made on gen 5, script compiler or no script compiler. I'm pointing out that there is no arbitrary reason that gen 4 should be done first - especially since gen 5 has a better engine.
Old January 31st, 2012 (06:38 PM). Edited January 31st, 2012 by droomph.
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

It doesn't MATTER. As long as a mapper exists, maps are editable without hex editing it like an insane monkey. Scripts can always be sorted out later. Research can be done and a mapper made on gen 5, script compiler or no script compiler. I'm pointing out that there is no arbitrary reason that gen 4 should be done first - especially since gen 5 has a better engine.
We are getting there, good sir. Gen 4 is first priority only because Gen 5 is based on Gen 4, thus we're already trying to do Gen 5 but we don't have any skills. There is already a viewer for Gen 5 so we're not trying to exclude Gen 5 from the picture here. We're merely trying to understand the hard concepts of Geometry commands (do YOU know what 00 00 00 40 01 00 00 00 means? Me neither.) and stuff, so rest your butt and we'll get to Gen 5 in no time.

In fact, we all want Gen 5. I want Gen 5, in fact. If I had a freaking choice, Gen 4 is waaaaaay over, and I would just focus on Gen 5.

I see what you're saying, but take a look. What happened before Gen 3 was hacked so extensively? Gen 2. And before that, Gen 1. You couldn't just go to a forum in 2004 and demand that a mapping tool be made right then, on the spot. Now look, seven years later. What do you get? A nice and polished Advanced-Map, not some crappy tool someone threw together in two weeks that doesn't even work.

That being said, hacking it is even EASIER because you don't have to deal with offsets, and the sections are even marked out for you in the very beginning, in a fashionable order. However, there is one part (the BMD files) we need to figure out before we jump to developing tools for Gen 5 and leave Gen 4 behind in the dust.

Also, you should try hex editing. Oh, the things you learn.

And as for a scripting tool, there is PPRE, so now there is a reason to work on mapping.

Old February 2nd, 2012 (07:38 AM).

hello, i'm new here
i recently started a pokemon yellow remake for pokemon heartgold and i would like to know if this is usable to edit some maps on HG like cinnabar island and MT moon, thanks.
Old February 2nd, 2012 (03:28 PM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by aminemaster:
hello, i'm new here
i recently started a pokemon yellow remake for pokemon heartgold and i would like to know if this is usable to edit some maps on HG like cinnabar island and MT moon, thanks.
Hello!

This tool is far from done, but when it is, it will be able to.

So far, you can change the texture (material) of the general shapes (polygons), movement permissions, and changing houses, doors, and such.

(And uh, not judging, why would you make a Yellow remake?)

Old February 8th, 2012 (11:46 AM).

Nature: Jolly
I hope this tool will be ready soon. I will download it when it is ready.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links