Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 20th, 2011 (03:54 PM).
-Cygnus-
It's an odyssey

Nature: Mild
This challenge looks like a lot of fun, I'll give it a go... I read it last night but forgot that other people choose your Pokemon for you.. So I traded over four eggs of pokemon I've never ever used before from leaf green and hatched them all on my Sapphire...

Spoiler:

Name: Cygnus (Sapph in game)
Game: Sapphire
Pokemon That Got Away: Seel, Magby, Tauros, Natu, Seviper

So I've never used these Pokemon or their evolutions in any Pokemon game ever. I'm excited to try them all out, especially Tauros. I also like the idea of impressions as stated by the OP, so I'll give that a go in my updates. I just hatched them all, and to be honest I got some pretty terrible natures. >_< Oh well, got to make do with what you have. Anyways, this is the preliminary post I suppose, as I've just hatched them, and not battled or gone west of Oldale yet. Not too crazy about having to train four Pokemon from the start, but I guess if they're cool, grinding will be less of a chore.

-----

Natu- Lvl 5 (Female)
Adamant Nature
Peck, Leer
- This one looks fun. I hardly ever play through with Psychic types, and I usually hate whatever flying type I have haha. My main concern is that Natu will be a bit weak compared to the others in terms of defense. However, she should be able to easily defeat Brawly, so that will be nice. I only wish that she didn't hatch with such a terrible nature. It might be useful at the start of the game where psychic-type attacks are few, but the SPATK penatly will really start to hurt quick.

Seel- Lvl 5 (Female)
Careful Nature
Headbutt
- Dewgong is such a cool Pokemon, so getting to train one finally will be interesting. I have used almost all water types in the first three generations I believe, this one being a notable exception. The typing on Dewgong will be nice to deal with Drake. I hardly use ice types, so this evolutionary line will be brand new territory in almost every aspect. Once again, I pulled a bad nature, but at least I will get a defensive boost from those 4x crit special attacks Dewgong's typing allows for... OH WAIT.

Tauros- Level 5 (Male)
Careful Nature
Tackle, Tail Whip, Rage
- The big one. I feel like in the Pokemon games (non-competitively speaking) Tauros is a Pokemon that gets largely ignored. I don't recall ever fighting it in Gen I, let alone where it was found. Having a one-stage/basic Pokemon this early in the game I'm sure will be a total slaughter for the AI, especially one as fast and strong as Tauros. The natures not jolly or adamant, but I could've pulled a way worse one for sure. I'm not going to be using it for special attacking, and the SPDEF boost is a nice treat.

Magby- Level 5 (Male)
Rash Nature
Ember, Sunny Day
- When looking through my PC in leaf green for never used Pokemon, I was excited when Magmar popped up. I quickly Ditto'd it and sent it over to sapphire, but I forgot one teensy little thing... Magby comes first. I have this unexplainable contempt for baby Pokemon. Not sure why, I guess I want their cooler evolved forms NOW haha. I'll try not to keep too big of a chip on my shoulder for this guy, seeing as though he does evolve into a pretty BA Pokemon. I finally pulled a good nature too. Definately going to be doing a lot of special attacking with this one, and he will be my go-to guy for Steven.

I hope I did that right haha. Thanks for posting OP, this challenge looks fun
Old February 21st, 2011 (02:23 AM).
Sammuthegreat
Kangaskhan

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by brodioh:
Name: Brodioh
Game: Platinum
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:
* = Want to Try
Ninetales*
Vileplume
Persian
Poliwrath
Jolteon
Kabutops*
Omastar
Meganium
Umbreon
Girafarig
Donphan
Blaziken
Zangoose
Exploud
Absol
Cradily
Armaldo
Metagross
Rampardos
Mismagius
Drapion
Abomasnow
Weavile
Magnezone
Togekiss
Gliscor
Porygon-Z*
Gallade
Dusknoir
Froslass
Rotom
Toxicroak

Number required: 6
Requirements: Surf and hopefully Fly
Give it a go with...

Porygon-Z, Kabutops, Ninetales (aren't I kind ), Metagross, Togekiss and Donphan.

I hope you don't mind using Kabutops as your Surfer, despite his poor Sp.Atk... To be honest there wasn't a huge amount of choice in there for good Surfers and I know you wanted to use Kabutops, but if you don't like the idea of Kabutops Surfing then switch him for Omastar.

Quote originally posted by -Cygnus-:
This challenge looks like a lot of fun, I'll give it a go... I read it last night but forgot that other people choose your Pokemon for you.. So I traded over four eggs of pokemon I've never ever used before from leaf green and hatched them all on my Sapphire...

Spoiler:

Name: Cygnus (Sapph in game)
Game: Sapphire
Pokemon That Got Away: Seel, Magby, Tauros, Natu, Seviper

So I've never used these Pokemon or their evolutions in any Pokemon game ever. I'm excited to try them all out, especially Tauros. I also like the idea of impressions as stated by the OP, so I'll give that a go in my updates. I just hatched them all, and to be honest I got some pretty terrible natures. >_< Oh well, got to make do with what you have. Anyways, this is the preliminary post I suppose, as I've just hatched them, and not battled or gone west of Oldale yet. Not too crazy about having to train four Pokemon from the start, but I guess if they're cool, grinding will be less of a chore.

-----

Natu- Lvl 5 (Female)
Adamant Nature
Peck, Leer
- This one looks fun. I hardly ever play through with Psychic types, and I usually hate whatever flying type I have haha. My main concern is that Natu will be a bit weak compared to the others in terms of defense. However, she should be able to easily defeat Brawly, so that will be nice. I only wish that she didn't hatch with such a terrible nature. It might be useful at the start of the game where psychic-type attacks are few, but the SPATK penatly will really start to hurt quick.

Seel- Lvl 5 (Female)
Careful Nature
Headbutt
- Dewgong is such a cool Pokemon, so getting to train one finally will be interesting. I have used almost all water types in the first three generations I believe, this one being a notable exception. The typing on Dewgong will be nice to deal with Drake. I hardly use ice types, so this evolutionary line will be brand new territory in almost every aspect. Once again, I pulled a bad nature, but at least I will get a defensive boost from those 4x crit special attacks Dewgong's typing allows for... OH WAIT.

Tauros- Level 5 (Male)
Careful Nature
Tackle, Tail Whip, Rage
- The big one. I feel like in the Pokemon games (non-competitively speaking) Tauros is a Pokemon that gets largely ignored. I don't recall ever fighting it in Gen I, let alone where it was found. Having a one-stage/basic Pokemon this early in the game I'm sure will be a total slaughter for the AI, especially one as fast and strong as Tauros. The natures not jolly or adamant, but I could've pulled a way worse one for sure. I'm not going to be using it for special attacking, and the SPDEF boost is a nice treat.

Magby- Level 5 (Male)
Rash Nature
Ember, Sunny Day
- When looking through my PC in leaf green for never used Pokemon, I was excited when Magmar popped up. I quickly Ditto'd it and sent it over to sapphire, but I forgot one teensy little thing... Magby comes first. I have this unexplainable contempt for baby Pokemon. Not sure why, I guess I want their cooler evolved forms NOW haha. I'll try not to keep too big of a chip on my shoulder for this guy, seeing as though he does evolve into a pretty BA Pokemon. I finally pulled a good nature too. Definately going to be doing a lot of special attacking with this one, and he will be my go-to guy for Steven.

I hope I did that right haha. Thanks for posting OP, this challenge looks fun
Strictly speaking you should have waited for someone to post your team, but you seem so enthusiastic about the Challenge that I don't mind letting you get away with it

Enjoy your Challenges both, I've added you both to the Challengers list.
Old February 21st, 2011 (12:00 PM). Edited February 21st, 2011 by -Cygnus-.
-Cygnus-
It's an odyssey

Well I may or may not have run into a roadblock with the first gym >_<

Spoiler:

I would've hoped that Seel could've easily taken care of Roxanne, seeing as though almost any special type moves easily defeat rock types (well, except fire). But once again, I forgot a kind of important detail- Seel doesn't learn a water/ice type move until level 17 >_< Knowing myself and my patience levels, I knew that level 17 this early was not going to happen, so I took the liberty to grind my party until level 12/13 (Got a few HP EV's from Rutsurf Tunnel in the process). My prospects for beating Roxanne looked bleak, but I decided to charge ahead anyways. Besides, it's always fun to have an unexpected challenge like this in a playthrough...

The battle was painful, long, and gruesome to say the least. I stated out with Natu hoping that 12 damage of Night Shade could put a dent in her Geodude's HP. I was wrong. One rock tomb and a tackle later and I was already down one Pokemon. Up next was Tauros, who I hoped would fare better. Intimidate is such a great ability, especially since Tauros didn't have any attack reducing moves at this point... The confrontation with Geodude went a little like: Tail Whip, Tail Whip, Tackle, Tail Whip, Tackle, ROXANNE used POTION! (rinse and repeat x5) Eventually I won out on her Geodude, and knew that Nosepass would be many times more difficult.

For once, I was right. I decided to switch to Magby first, seeing as though a special attack might do well to take care of a good bit of Nosepass' HP. I made the mistake of using Sunny Day first, thinking that Magby would survive five rounds against Rock Tomb, which easily ate the baby Pokemon up in two hits. I then passed the baton to Seel, the worthless water type, whose constant growling put Nosepass' Rock Tomb at 2 or 3 damage. I followed up with a never-ending barrage of headbutts, which did... pretty much nothing. I decided to let Seel die after he ran out of PP for Headbutt and moved back to good ol' Tauros. At this point, Nosepass was in the yellow, and about seven minutes later (using my genius Geodude strategy mentioned above), I walked out of the gym with the Stone Badge in hand.

I can safely say that that gym battle was one of the longest and dull I've ever fought. Whittling HP down literally one by one took me at least 25 minutes. At least it's over. When I exited the gym, I quickly pounded that peon's Poocheyena into a pulp (xD) then set off for Briney's cabin. Hopefully the Dewford gym will be a teensy bit easier...

-----

Natu- Lvl 13 (Female)
Adamant Nature
Peck, Leer, Night Shade
- I really don't have much of an opinion on this one so far. She was worthless in the gym battle, as was expected, but I have a feeling she will get a chance to prove her mettle in the next gym. I wish that the Natu line had better and more frequent level up moves (I believe it's one per ten levels at Natu?), but I should be getting my hands on a few good TM's shortly to power it up even more.

Seel- Lvl 14 (Female)
Careful Nature
Headbutt, Growl
- Easily the worst member so far. It's attack stat is pathetic, it's special attack is even worse, and it's only real purpose so far has been to keep up in levels with the rest of the team. The hatch was just terrible, I can tell. Bad IV's, bad nature, bad early movepool makes for a really lackluster beginning Pokemon. Hopefully once it gets into the 20's it will be more useful, but as of now... Not a fan.

Tauros- Level 13 (Male)
Careful Nature
Tackle, Tail Whip, Rage, Horn Atttack
- Unsurprisingly, the star of the team. Tauros has been a powerhouse, and even though it's all normal moveset made for a terrible gym battle, it was the one that lasted the longest and dealt the most damage. It's fast, strong, and quite resilient to almost every attack. I'm looking forward to what it will evolve (figuratively) into. I'm definately thinking an all-around strong physical attacker. I may even consider letting it drop off in levels compared to the rest of the party, seeing as though with every level, each of its stats get a +2 or +3 boost. Already.

Magby- Level 13 (Male)
Rash Nature
Ember, Sunny Day, Leer, Smog
- I'd place him in the rankings between Natu and Tauros. He was very useful when it came to the Petalburg woods, but he is quite weak defensively. I almost never use fire types on my teams, so I'm getting used to the strengths and weaknesses (not specifically in typing) of the fire type in general. Magby's ember was not nearly as useful in the gym as I thought it would've been, but I don't see too many more roadblocks in its future. As for moveset, I guess I'm just planning on a straight special attacking beast. I may even consider overheat

>_< Someone slap me the next time I make a post that long. It's been a fun challenge so far though!
Old February 21st, 2011 (05:43 PM).
MythologicalHAX
Psychic Nightmare

Game: Ruby
Pokemon:
Spoiler:
Swalot
Golduck
Kingdra
Gengar
Rhydon
Onix
Sandslash
Minun
Plusle
Linoone
Swellow
Breloom
Hariyama
Medicham
Ninetails
Torkoal
Magcargo
Cloyster
Dewgong
Hypno
Walrein
Seaking
Hitmontop
Victreebel
Beautifly
Aggron
Crobat
Lapras

Requirements: 6 Pokemon, one that uses surf
Old February 21st, 2011 (07:26 PM).
-Cygnus-
It's an odyssey

Quote originally posted by MythologicalHAX:
Game: Ruby
Pokemon:
Spoiler:
Swalot
Golduck
Kingdra
Gengar
Rhydon
Onix
Sandslash
Minun
Plusle
Linoone
Swellow
Breloom
Hariyama
Medicham
Ninetails
Torkoal
Magcargo
Cloyster
Dewgong
Hypno
Walrein
Seaking
Hitmontop
Victreebel
Beautifly
Aggron
Crobat
Lapras

Requirements: 6 Pokemon, one that uses surf
Hmm. How about:
Golduck, Hypno, Magcargo, Breloom, Gengar, Rhydon
Old February 21st, 2011 (10:09 PM).
MythologicalHAX
Psychic Nightmare

Hmm. How about:
Golduck, Hypno, Magcargo, Breloom, Gengar, Rhydon
sounds awesome cant wait to start
Old February 23rd, 2011 (07:58 AM).
Hacki101
I use too many smileys.... :P

Orginally was going to tyrain everyone up to LV.4 before continuing but a lack of any decent moves on 3 Pokemon made me train to Lv.6.

Made my way through routes 30 and 31 and needed Numel to defeat BC Wade's updated team (hence Hard Gold).

Saved before the final Sage in belssprout tower.

Spoiler:

Cubone Lv 7
Growl
False Swipe
Tail Whip
Bone Club

Orginally only knew false swipe meaning it was slow to train. Hasnt really been used since Bone Club was learnt due to weakness against Grass and Flying. No use against Faulkner at all. High defense is the only thing going for him atm. 4/10

Drifloon Lv 8
Constrict
Minimize
Astonish

Having only a base power 10 move with no STAB= 1 hp damage every turn however immune to pidgey meant easy levels but 1 hp each turn isnt fun. Levels up quicker than the others, Astonish is ok but no use for next gym. 5/10

Numel lv 9
Ember
Tackle
Rock Slide
Earthquake

MVP by far as egg moves are brilliant. Could of done this single handedly so far, and will carry on being my best asset until at Bugsy. 10/10

Remoraid Lv 7
Water Gun
Lock On

Decent STAB move for now, useless against Bellsprouts but did better than I thought, would be higher if I didnt have to catch up levels with other Pokemon. 7/10

Spoink Lv 7
Splash
Psywave

Only splash until Lv.6/7 makes him LVP. Psywave is so unreliable though. Seems to be more defensive than I thought. A lot of room for improvement. 2/10

Teddiursa Lv 7
Scratch
Leer
Lick
Fake Tears

Looking like a decent sweeper except for a lack of speed. Reliable when called upon but has a tendency to faint quickly. 7/10
Old February 23rd, 2011 (07:28 PM).
-Cygnus-
It's an odyssey

Well, a shorter update I guess. I'm so used to playing on ROMs that cartridge play seems sooo slow haha

Spoiler:

Upon arriving in Dewford, I headed straight for Granite Cave to do what has been the core of this playthrough... Grinding ;_; I decided to just get the long awaited level 17 for Seel over with... And boy was I dissapointed. Seel's SPATK is worse than it's ATK, and what's worse is that ice moves don't get stab yet. So Icy Wind is really just another 15PP move to train with...

The others' training went well though. Magby easily took care of the Aarons (which give surprisingly good exp), but struggled with the thick fat of Makuhita. Natu was as good as ever; so far my most stable I believe. Tauros I didn't really train much, because it really isn't neccessary. Either way, I headed over to the gym to see if this one would be any easier than Roxanne.

It was Natu easily beat all of the trainers in the gym, and took Brawly along with them. He was level 17 by the end of it all. I catched a Sableye quickly (for trading to Ruby later), and departed for the mainland. To be honest, I was quite eager to leave Dewford... Slateport is where things start to happen, and the sub-par plot starts to get going. I beat all the trainers on the beach and in the house, and saved outside the mart.

-----

Natu- Lvl 18 (Female)
Adamant Nature
Peck, Leer, Night Shade
- Without a doubt the most well-rounded of the bunch. It has respectable SPDEF, DEF, and can pack a punch with peck when neccessary. I wish the next move it's gonna learn isn't teleport :[ Not sure where to find good TM's for it though... And I hope to have a Xatu by the time Watson is rolled up and tossed away

Seel- Lvl 18 (Female)
Careful Nature
Headbutt, Growl, Icy Wind
- Seriously considering breeding at Mauville for another Seel. Seriously. I've whined about Seel before, but it's just because words can't express my dissapointment in this Pokemon! I'm not sure if it's just the bad IV+Nature combo, or if Seel just sucks in general (someone tell me this isn't true!), but I'm tired of having to keep grinding this thing over and over again. The only small bit of praise I have for Seel right now is its HP and perhaps DEF & SPDEF. Something inside me is thinking tank, but Dewgong doesn't seem like the Pokemon for that job. We'll have to wait and see. Suggestions?

Tauros- Level 17 (Male)
Careful Nature
- Tauros is continuing to keep up the good work. There's not much more I can praise that I haven't praised, but it's safe to say that this guy is waaaay too overpowered to have at the start of the game Oh, and to put it into perspective with the rest of the team... TaurosSPDEF > SeelSPATK

:/ Not okay.

Magby- Level 17 (Male)
Rash Nature
Ember, Sunny Day, Leer, Smog
- Magby is a real nice part of the team. Still getting used to the fire types, but I am starting to understand why they;re so popular: There's not much they're terrible against. Sure, Team Aqua at the museuem was impossible for this little dude, but other than that (and Roxanne), he's easily been able to hold his own (and quite well for a baby!). Very much looking forward to level 30 and Magmar... And this is sad to say, but out of my team, he has the best movepool.

Hi-5 for not writing a novel!!!... Anyone? No? Just me? Okay...

Old February 24th, 2011 (04:30 AM).
Sammuthegreat
Kangaskhan

Seel- Lvl 18 (Female)
Careful Nature
Headbutt, Growl, Icy Wind
- Seriously considering breeding at Mauville for another Seel. Seriously. I've whined about Seel before, but it's just because words can't express my dissapointment in this Pokemon! I'm not sure if it's just the bad IV+Nature combo, or if Seel just sucks in general (someone tell me this isn't true!), but I'm tired of having to keep grinding this thing over and over again. The only small bit of praise I have for Seel right now is its HP and perhaps DEF & SPDEF. Something inside me is thinking tank, but Dewgong doesn't seem like the Pokemon for that job. We'll have to wait and see. Suggestions?
About your Seel...

First time I played Pearl, I ran it with a pre-chosen team of Gallade, Luxray, Honchkrow, Arcanine, Garchomp and - you guessed it - Dewgong. The reason I chose Dewgong was because I always loved that Pokemon from way back in my Red days, and I hadn't trained one since. Sadly it utterly failed to live up to my nostalgic expectations. I remember it being similarly impossible to raise at low levels.

Sadly it is a very defensive Pokemon, but even so its stats aren't that great. Mine's at Lv.55, and her stats are:

Nature: Relaxed
HP: 176
At: 89
Df: 117
SA:88
SD: 115
Sp: 87

-Aqua Tail
-Avalanche
-Ice Beam
-Surf

Pretty awesome movepool given that its stats lean towards it being a weak mixed attacker, but sadly its stats are pretty poor. Compare that to my Luxray from that same runthrough. He's also at Lv.55, but his stats are as follows...

Nature: Hasty
HP: 165
At: 151
Df: 90
SA: 114
SD: 110
Sp: 106

-Spark
-Shock Wave (not sure why I never gave him Thunderbolt)
-Charge Beam
-Crunch

As you can see, the only real advantage Dewgong has over Luxray here is her higher HP, and even that's not much higher.

I think the be-all-and-end-all is that Dewgong is, sadly, not a very good Pokemon, as much as I love it. It was horribly affected by the Special split in Gen II. I hope you come to love yours though, like I still love mine, and hopefully it'll help to lower your expectations a bit... On the flipside, Magmar are awesome, and even more awesome when they become Magmortar (shame you're playing Gen III...).

Anyway, keep updating, I'm enjoying reading your impressions thus far!
Old February 24th, 2011 (06:47 PM).
-Cygnus-
It's an odyssey

Oh that's a shame :/ I was really hoping for Dewgong to shape up... I guess I will keep it as the defense on my team (not sure what moves it should learn though). Looking at the SATK and ATK make me cringe. Sucks they don't ever really get better...

How is Dewgong in R/B/Y though? My team variety in the first or second gen has never been interesting lol. Maybe I'll do this challenge in R/B/Y next...

[ontopic]Currently reached Mauvile, beat rival, got everyone to lvl 20 (maybe one is 19)[/ontopic]
Old February 25th, 2011 (02:21 AM).
Sammuthegreat
Kangaskhan

Oh that's a shame :/ I was really hoping for Dewgong to shape up... I guess I will keep it as the defense on my team (not sure what moves it should learn though). Looking at the SATK and ATK make me cringe. Sucks they don't ever really get better...

How is Dewgong in R/B/Y though? My team variety in the first or second gen has never been interesting lol. Maybe I'll do this challenge in R/B/Y next...

[ontopic]Currently reached Mauvile, beat rival, got everyone to lvl 20 (maybe one is 19)[/ontopic]
Dewgong's Special Base Stat in Gen.I was 95, which is what its Sp.Def is now. It was a bit better, but still not great.

On-topic: my run is still going, but I've realised the downside to doing the Challenge on SoulSilver. It's taking ages to get my team ready to take on Red! My team's all at Lv.65 now and I've been distracted by the Battle Frontier - Dragonite's got a bit of a streak going in the Battle Hall. I'll get back to levelling them up before too long though, hopefully...
Old February 26th, 2011 (12:21 PM).
-Cygnus-
It's an odyssey

Can't believe this is taking so long. Only three badges as of writing this Oh well, maybe I will get faster one of these days haha. I only have like 7.5 hours on it I think...

Spoiler:

Last I checked, I left off beating Team Aqua at the museum and headed north. This is a pretty standard playthrough, I guess. Just going along, fighting trainers, doing some grinding, maybe not a sidequest here or there... Good times

Mauville gym was actually quite easy. I'm so thankful for the introduction of steel types, else I think Wattson may have been a bit harder for my Magby. Luckily, this is not the case, and Magby easily destroyed every trainer in the gym with its fire punch. Wally was as pointless as ever. I think the battle went: Magby used ember! Ralts used double team! Magby used ember! Wally is defeated! His presence in this game is really a drawback Maybe I'm the only one that thinks so...

Nothing remarkable happened on the route north of Mauville, I beat the Winstrates, all the trainers, and the endless hordes of Spinda in that ashy route 0_o I think the second time I saw a Spinda in a game ever, I was like "OMG it looks different than before! Must be a shiny!!" Good touch on that Pokemon by the developers, though. I grinded everyone to level 25, and then saved in front of the Fallabor Pokecenter (as is my custom when finishing a sesssion).

-----

Natu- Lvl 25 (Female)
Adamant Nature
Peck, Leer, Night Shade, Teleport
- Poor movepool, that's all I have to say. She has two attacking moves, and one of them doesn't affect half the Pokemon in this game Not a bad Pokemon, don't get me wrong... I just wish there was greater variety in her movepool this early. Natu currently has an everstone equiped to her at the moment until level 30- I want her to have another move so bad that I'm delaying her evolution

Seel- Lvl 25(Female)
Careful Nature
Headbutt, Growl, Icy Wind, Aurora Beam
- That's pretty much all I have to say about this Pokemon... It still can't hit worth crap, and I recently discovered it learns NO water type level up moves, so Flannery is going to be a helluva lot harder than I originally thought. At least it learned Aurora Beam for another attack... But if things keep going this way, I can safely say this will be the first and last time I use Seel in my party.

Tauros- Level 25 (Male)
Careful Nature
- I think it's pretty obvious what I'm going to say about this guy... Still, by far, top dog. I am starting to see it falter a bit, though... Why there was this one trainer with a normal type that Tauros actually took TWO HITS to kill! Two! That's more than one! 1+1=2! I'm actually a bit glad at this though, because I know that I won't really be able to rely on this guy in a pinch for much longer (Yes, you read that right. I want a harder challenge when playing with Tauros!).

Magby- Level 25 (Male)
Rash Nature
Ember, Sunny Day, Fire Punch, Smog
- Five more levels to go Magby is more or less the MVP, even though it plays second bannana to Tauros. It's SPATK hasn't really let me down thus far; it's kind of a powerhouse. I can't wait to see what Magmar will be like... My main issue is that it only knows good fire-type moves, which means it won't be a good counter for Flannery. I'm not sure what other good moves are out there for it either. Maybe I should browse my TM catalouge again and see what might work (TM'age at this point in the game kinda sucks).

I'm currently debating on whether or not to add Seviper to my team on the next route... I want to try it out, but a fifth Pokemon (and a Poison type at that) seems kinda like too much to handle right now. Thoughts?
Old February 26th, 2011 (12:36 PM).
Eeveé
Beginning Trainer

dont go for serviper its part of the Fluctuating group

The equation for the Fluctuating experience group. At levels 15 and 36, both formulas return equal values.
The second experience group introduced in Generation III, and a direct opposite to the Erratic group, the Fluctuating experience group contains the Pokémon which grow the slowest of all, reaching level 100 with a whopping 1,640,000 experience points. It is also, unsurprisingly, the smallest of the experience groups, containing only 14 species. Pokémon within this group require the least amount of experience to grow from level 1, needing only 540 points to reach level 10, as compared to 560 for Medium Slow, the next lowest requirement. They also require the most experience points to go from level 90 to 100 - 517340 as compared to 338750 for Slow, the next highest. Like the Erratic function, the Fluctuating group's level-up equation is calculated in a piecewise fashion.
Also like the Erratic experience group, the Fluctuating group gets its name from the wildly fluctuating requirement for each level to go to the next level, from Level 36 to Level 100.
Fluctuating

The equation for the Fluctuating experience group. At levels 15 and 36, both formulas return equal values.
The second experience group introduced in Generation III, and a direct opposite to the Erratic group, the Fluctuating experience group contains the Pokémon which grow the slowest of all, reaching level 100 with a whopping 1,640,000 experience points. It is also, unsurprisingly, the smallest of the experience groups, containing only 14 species. Pokémon within this group require the least amount of experience to grow from level 1, needing only 540 points to reach level 10, as compared to 560 for Medium Slow, the next lowest requirement. They also require the most experience points to go from level 90 to 100 - 517340 as compared to 338750 for Slow, the next highest. Like the Erratic function, the Fluctuating group's level-up equation is calculated in a piecewise fashion.
Also like the Erratic experience group, the Fluctuating group gets its name from the wildly fluctuating requirement for each level to go to the next level, from Level 36 to Level 100.
For a list of all Pokémon in this group, see Pokémon in the Fluctuating experience group on bulbapedia experiance

combind pokemon solo challenge sapphire: beautifly lv24
1/8
mono type challenge normal
4/8
grass
1/8

mono type electric
gold 1/8

completed
monotype water on fire red

solo challenge: heracross soul silver lvl 100
Old February 26th, 2011 (01:42 PM).
brodioh

I can't seem to find my metagross so I will need a different pokemon instead.
I really wanted to use one but I can't now because it was probably my friend who took it.
Also thanks for being so kind and I will be willing to use Kabutops as a surfer.

Current Challenges

Kanto-Johto-Hoenn-Sinnoh-Unova

Kanto-Johto-Hoenn-Sinnoh-Unova

Completed Challenges

Platinum Bronzong(Belte)
Solo Challenge

Old February 26th, 2011 (07:35 PM).
-Cygnus-
It's an odyssey

Quote originally posted by Eeveé:
dont go for serviper its part of the Fluctuating group

Fluctuating

For a list of all Pokémon in this group, see Pokémon in the Fluctuating experience group on bulbapedia experiance
0_o I arz failz in maths!! Haha jk, thank you for that though. I had no idea a "fluctuating" exp group existed. I am definately that guy that hates grinding, so this will be helpful for me in this playthrough lol... Thanks again.
Old February 27th, 2011 (01:57 AM).
Sammuthegreat
Kangaskhan

Quote originally posted by brodioh:
I can't seem to find my metagross so I will need a different pokemon instead.
I really wanted to use one but I can't now because it was probably my friend who took it.
Also thanks for being so kind and I will be willing to use Kabutops as a surfer.
Use Absol instead then. Enjoy!
Old February 27th, 2011 (03:17 AM).
Hacki101

Quote:
0_o I arz failz in maths!! Haha jk, thank you for that though. I had no idea a "fluctuating" exp group existed. I am definately that guy that hates grinding, so this will be helpful for me in this playthrough lol... Thanks again.
The fluctuating group is really quick to level up for the majority of the game so Seviper may be worth a punt seeing as you may another Pokemon atm because of the underperformance of Seel and Natu.

My Drifloon is also in the Fluctuating group and is so easy to train - Hard Gold requires a lot of grinding. Talking of which I am trianing for Bugsy and Rival battle (both of which I have already lost) and will update after those battles.
Old February 27th, 2011 (09:17 PM).
-Cygnus-
It's an odyssey

Quote originally posted by Hacki101:
The fluctuating group is really quick to level up for the majority of the game so Seviper may be worth a punt seeing as you may another Pokemon atm because of the underperformance of Seel and Natu.

My Drifloon is also in the Fluctuating group and is so easy to train - Hard Gold requires a lot of grinding. Talking of which I am trianing for Bugsy and Rival battle (both of which I have already lost) and will update after those battles.
Hmm... Well I know one thing for sure is that I'm not bailing on any of my team in this playthrough yes, even freakin' seel haha, but I guess I can train the one I have in my box for the Flannery fight. If I get Seviper, though, I may as well just go for a full team of six

In the game... Just need to train Natu up to level 28 (then everyone will be equal!! and head over to Lavaridge again for my fourth badge. I think I shall update after Norman.
Old February 28th, 2011 (02:29 AM).
KoboraX
Not a Stizh

Name: KoboraX
Game: Silver
List of Pokemon that got away: Gastly, Haunter, Eevee, Flareon, Chikorita, Bayleef, Meganium, Furret, Mareep, Flaaffy, Hoppip, Aipom, Yanma, Pineco, Forretress, Gligar, Donphan, Shuckle, Slugma, Phanpy, Miltank
Special Requirements: None that I know of.

Wonderlocke Challenge - Omega Ruby 2/8
Old February 28th, 2011 (04:08 AM).
Mistyblu

KoboraX take a

Donphan
Slugma
Furret
Yanma
Meganium
Flaaffy
Old February 28th, 2011 (06:58 AM).
Sammuthegreat
Kangaskhan

Added KoboraX to the Challengers list.

I have a question to those of you who update/come on this thread regularly. It's with regard to the end point of the Challenge in the Johto games, particularly in HG/SS. At the moment I've got it set to finish when you beat Red. The trouble is, when you get through Kanto and beat the Elite Four the second time, your Pokemon will reasonably be around Lv.60-65 or so. Red's Pokemon are all above Lv.80 in HG/SS, and are pretty much impossible to beat until your own team's levels are around 70 or more.

The trouble is, once the E4 are beaten a second time, there's not much left to do, especially considering you need to add another 10-15 levels for each of your Pokemon to face Red with a reasonable chance of success. So, my question is, do we think the Challenge should end when we beat the E4 the second time, rather than forcing us to grind for hours to take on Red?

I ask this for two reasons. Firstly, I'm at that stage in my Challenge now. All my team are Lv.65, which would be comfortably high enough to beat this Challenge in any other region. I'm struggling to find enough opponents (outside re-doing the E4 over and over again) to increase my team's levels, and there's no wild Pokemon anywhere above the high 40s. I'm looking at a massive time investment to be able to take on Red with any chance of any outcome other than a total wipe.

That brings me to the second reason I ask this; this Challenge is supposed to be fun. Grinding a total of 60-90 more levels (across all 6 of my team) does not sounds like much fun to me, as I'm sure it doesn't to any other Johto Challengers out there.

So, what do you reckon? Shall I tone down the requirements for a successful Johto Challenge, so that you only need to beat the E4 a second time instead of taking on Red? Of course beating Red would still be an optional extra, but not compulsory.

I'm genuinely interested in any thoughts or contributions on the idea, so please let me know, in this thread or by PM (I seem to be one of the few Challenge leaders who doesn't care about people spamming the thread with vaguely-off-topic nonsense )

Thanks!
Old February 28th, 2011 (07:20 AM).
Zeffy

Send a message via Skype™ to Zeffy
I'd like to renew my "application" for this challenge. I wanted to start a new challenge since I haven't been on the challenges scene for quite a while now.

Name: Zeffy
Game: Emerald
List of Pokemon that got away: All Pokemon in this list are final evolutions and can only be gotten on Emerald:
Spoiler:
Shiftry
Mightyena
Tropius
Dustox
Beautifly
Swalot
Wailord
Illumise
Volbeat
Milotic
Huntail
Gorebyss
Relicanth
Hariyama
Glalie
Golbat/Crobat (just pick one)
Skarmory
Linoone
Alakazam (yes, I haven't used an Alakazam yet. weird, huh?)
Weezing
Seviper
Magcargo
Donphan
Wow, this list has gotten much bigger than the last time. xD
Any specific requirements: Nothing specific. Just keep in mind the HMs. ;)
Old February 28th, 2011 (08:51 AM).
Hacki101

Sammu, I would say beat all the gym leaders in the rematch again on HG/SS and the Lance/Clair double battle and forget about Red because I will be in the same boat (when I ever get there- he is all Lv.100 on my game). I agree that grinding 20+ levels per Pokemon is too much of a grind as I personally hate grinding myself- I get my girlfriend to do it XD. Also, I am looking forward to seeing your final update .

Quote:
I'd like to renew my "application" for this challenge. I wanted to start a new challenge since I haven't been on the challenges scene for quite a while now.

Name: Zeffy
Game: Emerald
List of Pokemon that got away: All Pokemon in this list are final evolutions and can only be gotten on Emerald:
Spoiler:
Shiftry
Mightyena
Tropius
Dustox
Beautifly
Swalot
Wailord
Illumise
Volbeat
Milotic
Huntail
Gorebyss
Relicanth
Hariyama
Glalie
Golbat/Crobat (just pick one)
Skarmory
Linoone
Alakazam (yes, I haven't used an Alakazam yet. weird, huh?)
Weezing
Seviper
Magcargo
Donphan

Wow, this list has gotten much bigger than the last time. xD
Any specific requirements: Nothing specific. Just keep in mind the HMs.
Zeffy, take a:

Tropius (HMs sorted)
Milotic (if you cant find Feebas then Huntail)
Glalie
Mightyena
Beautifly
Magcargo

Have fun!!
Old February 28th, 2011 (08:57 AM).
KoboraX
Not a Stizh

1st update...short, but meh, it's progress.

Started a new game and named my character Kobora.
Got my Pokegear.
Went and got my Chikorita.
Nicknamed my Chikorita "Petal".
Later today, I'll head over to Mr. Pokemon's house, then catch a Sentret and a Phanpy.

Wonderlocke Challenge - Omega Ruby 2/8
Old February 28th, 2011 (08:27 PM).
Zeffy

Send a message via Skype™ to Zeffy
Quote originally posted by Hacki101:
Sammu, I would say beat all the gym leaders in the rematch again on HG/SS and the Lance/Clair double battle and forget about Red because I will be in the same boat (when I ever get there- he is all Lv.100 on my game). I agree that grinding 20+ levels per Pokemon is too much of a grind as I personally hate grinding myself- I get my girlfriend to do it XD. Also, I am looking forward to seeing your final update :).

Zeffy, take a:

Tropius (HMs sorted) ;)
Milotic (if you cant find Feebas then Huntail)
Glalie
Mightyena
Beautifly
Magcargo

Have fun!!
Thank you! Finally I can start playing Emerald again. xD
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links