• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen B/W VGC Discussion

Mr. L

Tea.
Years
Does anyone know anything about the rules of 2011's VGC?

Normally I'd just wait until their released, but on Pokemon Online any Pokemon that are not in the Isshu/Unova Pokedex are banned from the VGC 2011 tier, so basically I'm wondering if the Pokemon I'm currently training in Heart Gold will be ineligible for next years tournament.

Years
Yes, they're ineligible. We're all going to have to start fresh in Ish-- Unova.

And if you're not already aware, the rules were released a few days ago.

• Only Pokemon from Isshu can be used (excluding Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genosect).
  • Each match is a double battle, though the amount of Pokemon that can be used in a match is not mentioned. It might be "bring six Pokemon and use four" like in the past.
  • Pokemon should be Level 50. Pokemon higher than that will be lowered to Level 50. Pokemon Level 49 and below will remain at the same level.
  • You can't use duplicate Pokemon or Items.
  • You can't change your Pokemon, Items, etc. during the tournament.

Mr. L

Tea.
Years
...Thanks Nintendo, I guess that means I just wasted 4 months of my life.

Thanks for letting me know though Kirbychu

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
Years
If I can't use my Quil (my TYPHLOSION) I'm going to kill them all.

Yes, they're ineligible. We're all going to have to start fresh in Ish-- Unova.

And if you're not already aware, the rules were released a few days ago.

• Only Pokemon from Isshu can be used (excluding Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genosect).
  • Each match is a double battle, though the amount of Pokemon that can be used in a match is not mentioned. It might be "bring six Pokemon and use four" like in the past.
  • Pokemon should be Level 50. Pokemon higher than that will be lowered to Level 50. Pokemon Level 49 and below will remain at the same level.
  • You can't use duplicate Pokemon or Items.
  • You can't change your Pokemon, Items, etc. during the tournament.

Only one Pokémon of uNova? Why?

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
Years
VGC is a joke anyway with the double battles and all. I play on simulators, so I can use whatever rules I want.

Besides, it's not worth it. Japanese players have twice as long to train up their team, since they got B/W first. I guarantee a Japanese player will win.

Mr. L

Tea.
Years
Only one Pokémon of uNova? Why?
I don't know, I didn't really like what was happening with Black and White to begin with, now I actually feel like Nintendo is trying to alienate all the older fans.

VGC is a joke anyway with the double battles and all. I play on simulators, so I can use whatever rules I want.

Besides, it's not worth it. Japanese players have twice as long to train up their team, since they got B/W first. I guarantee a Japanese player will win.

A fair point, but in the qualifiers I'd be facing people who've had the same amount of time with Black and White as I had, leveling the playing field and giving whoever moves on to the finals time to catch up with the Japanese,

The worst part is that I spent ages working on a team and tweaking little things here and there to make them perfect, after using them on simulators online I really started to feel like I had a chance:

Spoiler:

^ A RMT I posted a while back, but I used this team a bit and they usually perform quite well. Shame they'll never see battle in a large tournament like VGC...

Years
It's probably Unova only because they want people to start thinking outside the box. They try to mix it up every year. In 2009 it was just doubles with a tiny ban list. In 2010 they allowed each player two Ubers and they had an even tinier ban list. In 2011 we'll be limited to Unovan Pokemon. My guess is that they don't want to see the same strategies repeated over and over again.

Years
I think they're strictly allowing only Unova Pokémon because they want to start fresh and they would probably also want to see some strategy with the new Pokémon.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
The old Pokemon being ineligible is why you shouldn't make a team before the thing is announced. Honestly, what would happen if it was rotationals or triples with old Pokemon? You'd still have to restart. With a new generation, there'd be doubtless changes to rules, so relying on old ones was just plain silly. Relying on old mechanics, however, is worse. Honestly, Mr. L, your team has all HGSS stuff. Tactics working one year sure as heck won't the next. Have you actually won well against half-decent Unovan teams?

Years
I don't see what's so wrong about future preparation. But then again, you do need to know the rules before starting off. There's still lots of time and those HG/SS Pokémon aren't time wasted since you can use them for another time. So no worries, just restart but with Unova Pokémon.

NatureKeeper

I bet DS Download Play will help this get played in the series.

World Championship Series

Mr. L

Tea.
Years
The old Pokemon being ineligible is why you shouldn't make a team before the thing is announced. Honestly, what would happen if it was rotationals or triples with old Pokemon? You'd still have to restart. With a new generation, there'd be doubtless changes to rules, so relying on old ones was just plain silly. Relying on old mechanics, however, is worse. Honestly, Mr. L, your team has all HGSS stuff. Tactics working one year sure as heck won't the next. Have you actually won well against half-decent Unovan teams?

If I did wait for announcements about next year's VGC I would have halved the time I had to build, test, perfect and then catch and train my team. I wanted to plan ahead and seeing as barely anything was known about gen V I had to use the knowledge I had about gen IV and then edit my team as I learnt more about the newer pokemon and mechanics. My HGSS team works very well in triples and although I've never had a rotational battle I could imagine it working in them (as soon as I get used to them). I have beat Unovan teams using the Pokemon I listed above but I don't know the gen V pokemon or moves well enough yet to judge if they were any good.

Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2010
I like the idea of Unova only Pokemon. In addition, the "fresh start" I find appealing. I also feel as if it levels the playing field a bit. Yes, the JP players do have a head start, but for everyone else we will have the same preparation time leaving it fair. However, the only flaw I see is with limiting the Pokemon we will be seeing a lot of the same teams.

Back