The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.


Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:20 PM
videogamerpat
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2010

Advertise here
Edit: Fixed some non-sensible TM learning capabilities, and an error in Buzzy Beetles evolution line.

Welcome to the Mushroom Kingdom in this all new hack of Pokemon Fire Red. The main feature of this game is the addition of 150 all new pokemon, all based on Super Mario enemies and characters. Goomba, Bob-omb, Bowser...Battle, collect, and train them all in this hack! If you love Pokemon and Mario, then this game is for you.

Features:

-150 all new MarioMon, including sprites, evolutions, and attacks.
-MUCH more balanced gameplay, with each fully evolved MarioMon roughly equaling each other in total stats.
-Quality of life edits, such as removing the blackout in Rock Tunnel and the removal of the trainer that teaches you how to catch pokemon.
-Minor enviromental and scripting hacks.

Story (Not yet implemented):

Professor E-gad has developed a new technology for enslaving the various monsters of the Mushroom Kingdom. Using Mario as his spokesperson, he advertises this technology to the humanoid denizens of the Mushroom Kingdom as there cure to the constant invasions by Bowser and as a way for them to secure everlasting peace in their kingdom.

Needless to say, the minions of the Mushroom world are in a panic as more and more of them are being enslaved and brainwashed away from the rule of their great King Bowser. Seeing the horrors of this new technology, Bowser breaks into E-gad's lair in order to liberate some of his loyal minions. However, Mario steps in just in time to stop Bowser from saving all of his minions. Wanting to add insult to injuiry, Mario descides to defeat Bowser with one of the very minions who once served him so loyally. Horrified by this, Bowser runs away, seeking a cure to the brainwashing effects of E-gad's twisted technology, and to attempt to liberate the trapped souls of the monsters.

You'll play as Mario who will travel in an attempt to stop the "evils" of Bowser, attempting to save his comrades, and secure an everlasting peace for the denizens of the Mushroom Kingdom.

Future of the Game:

I intend to add a whole new map, story, text, and scripting in a future release, admittedly a while down the road. I also plan on utilizing Fire Red's like 300 something space to add many more MarioMon. You'd be surprised how much you have to work with in the Mario Universe.

Screen shots:

MarioMap1.png

MarioMonmap2.png

MarioMonmap3.png

MarioMonmap4.png









Preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uitk9JHkv2c



Download:

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RK12OMP5

--------------------------------------------------

Please feel free to comment. I'm interested in what you guys think. Any glitches or bugs you guys find, report to me. Also, if anyone's really interested in the premise, I'd love some help on mapping and scripting.


Last edited by videogamerpat; June 26th, 2010 at 05:31 PM.
  #2    
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Zeffy's Avatar
Zeffy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeffy
Some of the sprites have big, bulging black outlines. You should fix that.
Anyways, good luck on this.
  #3    
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Teh Baro's Avatar
Teh Baro
In my times...!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Spain
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Each sprite has a different style. This isn't good. You should remake all the sprites and at least give them an uniform style.
__________________
what the fudge
  #4    
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:44 AM
vietazn654's Avatar
vietazn654
A sound soul dwells within me
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Virginia
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to vietazn654 Send a message via Yahoo to vietazn654
Some sprites are sprited differently then otheres. =\ I agree with Teh Baro. Resprite them.
__________________

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
  #5    
Old June 12th, 2010, 07:23 AM
videogamerpat
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vietazn654 View Post
Some sprites are sprited differently then otheres. =\ I agree with Teh Baro. Resprite them.
Most of the sprites look different then others because most of them are the sprites from each of their respective games. Considering the quality between systems and different art styles between mario games, the sprites are going to be different.
  #6    
Old June 12th, 2010, 08:14 AM
vietazn654's Avatar
vietazn654
A sound soul dwells within me
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Virginia
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to vietazn654 Send a message via Yahoo to vietazn654
I see... Now the maps... They look kind of empty, and I see tile errors in the first screen. (The gate to be exact)
__________________

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
  #7    
Old June 12th, 2010, 09:31 AM
mattman324's Avatar
mattman324
RUN TO THE HILLS, EVERYONE!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somerset
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Naive
Let's see the problems I noticed before downloading the beta.

> Everything being balanced makes for a dull game. There should be things that are great early on and bad later (Like Butterfree) and things that are bad early but great later (Like Dratini).

> Spriting is horrid.

> You put a beta that isn't special in any way except edited pokemon and routes up.

That being said, I downloaded to further investigate.

> If your starter is burned/poisoned in the first rival battle, it will not show up.

> The pokemon are not restated. MAYBE you changed the catch rate, but the stats are the same.

> You're Onix replacement is named Monkey. It is a Ukieki (Or however it's spelled).

> THE SPRITES ARE WORSE THAN WHAT THEY WERE ON THE SCREENSHOTS.


Yeah. Those need fixed.

EDIT: OH GOOD ARCEUS WHAT IS THAT KOOPA BACKSPRITE? It's... something from my nightmares! D:
__________________


Completed: Red, Silver, and Emerald. Platinum eventually...


http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=168 Well, keeping this around because SOMEONE needs to.

Last edited by mattman324; June 12th, 2010 at 09:37 AM.
  #8    
Old June 12th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Masterge77's Avatar
Masterge77
Jacen The Robot Floatzel
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sinnoh Region
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
I'm gonna catch me a Bowser XD!

just kidding right now, I'll start with a Goomba, then a Koopa Troopa....
__________________
My DA account
Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART

The Owner of Sea Weasels, the club for Buizel and Floatzel fans!
  #9    
Old June 12th, 2010, 10:37 AM
qaz015393's Avatar
qaz015393
pokemon revenge developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 24
Gender: Male
games sounds/looks great. gona try this out cause im wondering how Bowser looks.
  #10    
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:36 PM
videogamerpat
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman324 View Post
Let's see the problems I noticed before downloading the beta.

> Everything being balanced makes for a dull game. There should be things that are great early on and bad later (Like Butterfree) and things that are bad early but great later (Like Dratini).
I disagree. I never agreed with that approach. Why should I have to replace a butterfree I worked so hard on to replace it with one thats actually decent. That makes there be only like 30 actually decent pokemon at the end. Why advertise 150 pokemon if over half of them suck? That always bothered me about the original games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman324 View Post

> Spriting is horrid.
Aww why thank you. =P Besides, the sprites are only as bad as the original Nintendo spriter who made them. Now back sprites, I can understand, but I never professed to being a good spriter. So for those, I will gladly accept you slings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman324 View Post

> You put a beta that isn't special in any way except edited pokemon and routes up.
If your talking about scripting, then I'm new to hacking. Figured I'd get the backbone of the game first, which is the edited pokemon, and I'll take care of the scripting as I learn more and more about hacking. Can't be a great scripter from square one you know. ;;

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman324 View Post

> If your starter is burned/poisoned in the first rival battle, it will not show up.
Somehow, in like the 10 times I ran through that battle, I was never poisioned or burned. Had no idea that happens. 'tanks for the heads up on that. Maybe I'll change it so that burn, poision pokemon power doesn't appear untill their level 2 evolution.
> The pokemon are not restated. MAYBE you changed the catch rate, but the stats are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman324 View Post

> You're Onix replacement is named Monkey. It is a Ukieki (Or however it's spelled).
I thought Ukieki was the name of the one monkey in Mario 64. Yoshi's Island just calls them Monkey, but I'll look into it. In fact, if anyone sees any mario characters missnamed, go ahead and tell me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman324 View Post

> THE SPRITES ARE WORSE THAN WHAT THEY WERE ON THE SCREENSHOTS.

Yeah. Those need fixed.
But..um...they're not.. ;; They're exactly what's in the game. I blame the fact that you're playing it in wide screen mode or something. 8 and 16 bit sprites tend to look worse the more they're magnified, which is the reason so many of you are bashing how they look. ;;

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman324 View Post

EDIT: OH GOOD ARCEUS WHAT IS THAT KOOPA BACKSPRITE? It's... something from my nightmares! D:

Aww.. thank you. You're so nice! XD Once again, Noob spriter over here. I can change scripting, map, etc. That I can do.... in time... But I can't help my lack of artistic talent. XD


Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman324 View Post
> The pokemon are not restated. MAYBE you changed the catch rate, but the stats are the same.
The stats are most certainly not all the same! Don't say that after I painstakingly altered every single Pokemon! XD Every pokemon is changed completely with new moves, stats, EVs, pokedex, Evolutions, etc. If it was JUST a sprite edit, THEN I could agree this game would be pointless, but I made every single pokemon from the ground up.

Last edited by videogamerpat; June 12th, 2010 at 04:45 PM.
  #11    
Old June 13th, 2010, 07:30 AM
mattman324's Avatar
mattman324
RUN TO THE HILLS, EVERYONE!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somerset
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamerpat View Post
I disagree. I never agreed with that approach. Why should I have to replace a butterfree I worked so hard on to replace it with one thats actually decent. That makes there be only like 30 actually decent pokemon at the end. Why advertise 150 pokemon if over half of them suck? That always bothered me about the original games.
Because it's dull. If everything is just as good, then you can't learn what's bad and get some replay value, learn what's best and get more replay value, and just try that stuff. I think one or two "early game" pokemon should be there, and a few "late game" ones as well. Why advertise 150 pokemon if they are all the same? That's what bothers me about YOUR game.


Quote:
Aww why thank you. =P Besides, the sprites are only as bad as the original Nintendo spriter who made them. Now back sprites, I can understand, but I never professed to being a good spriter. So for those, I will gladly accept you slings.
Well, the thing is that you have some sprites as advanced as SMW2, and others back in SMB3 or before. That's a variable that spans the NES and the SNES, and sprite difference is huge. And then some (toad...) aren't even shown.


Quote:
If your talking about scripting, then I'm new to hacking. Figured I'd get the backbone of the game first, which is the edited pokemon, and I'll take care of the scripting as I learn more and more about hacking. Can't be a great scripter from square one you know. ;;
Well, you can WAIT to release the game until scripting, mapping, text edits, and other stuff are done.



Quote:
Somehow, in like the 10 times I ran through that battle, I was never poisioned or burned. Had no idea that happens. 'tanks for the heads up on that. Maybe I'll change it so that burn, poision pokemon power doesn't appear untill their level 2 evolution.
Ok.


Quote:
I thought Ukieki was the name of the one monkey in Mario 64. Yoshi's Island just calls them Monkey, but I'll look into it. In fact, if anyone sees any mario characters missnamed, go ahead and tell me.
Well, on some of the older games the names were different. I thought Ukieki was the name that came up in all the N64 and on games.



Quote:
But..um...they're not.. ;; They're exactly what's in the game. I blame the fact that you're playing it in wide screen mode or something. 8 and 16 bit sprites tend to look worse the more they're magnified, which is the reason so many of you are bashing how they look. ;;
I'm playing the smallest size possible. Backsprites were the main issue, but some sprites (TOAD) are just bad. To be fair, if there wasn't so much variance (Mentioned above), it would be better.



Quote:
Aww.. thank you. You're so nice! XD Once again, Noob spriter over here. I can change scripting, map, etc. That I can do.... in time... But I can't help my lack of artistic talent. XD
Again though, you really could have waited to release the game.


Quote:
The stats are most certainly not all the same! Don't say that after I painstakingly altered every single Pokemon! XD Every pokemon is changed completely with new moves, stats, EVs, pokedex, Evolutions, etc. If it was JUST a sprite edit, THEN I could agree this game would be pointless, but I made every single pokemon from the ground up.
"Monkey" is an Onix replacement. It has horrid attack and special attack, horrid HP and SpD, but good speed and great defense. Those stats are... well, the same as Onix!
__________________


Completed: Red, Silver, and Emerald. Platinum eventually...


http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=168 Well, keeping this around because SOMEONE needs to.
  #12    
Old June 13th, 2010, 12:03 PM
HemlockLegend's Avatar
HemlockLegend
Lazy Dwarf Fortress Manager
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
I have seen my fairshare of bad spriting but this could end up bad because you probably need to change the backsprite. I used an 8-bit small mario sprite on a torchic and I used the same sprite for front and back but I did not make the sprites face at an angle because you can't put a 2D sprite facing in a 3D direction.
__________________

"Hee-ho!"

Last edited by HemlockLegend; June 18th, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
  #13    
Old June 13th, 2010, 06:05 PM
videogamerpat
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman324 View Post

"Monkey" is an Onix replacement. It has horrid attack and special attack, horrid HP and SpD, but good speed and great defense. Those stats are... well, the same as Onix!
"Monkey's" stats:

HP: 60
Atk: 60
Def: 60
Sp Atk: 40
Sp Def: 60
Speed: 70

He's a balanced pokemon. Stats directly from in game. Don't make an assumption based on pokemon natures. ;; All my guys ARE changed. ;;
  #14    
Old June 14th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Sarcastic Prince's Avatar
Sarcastic Prince
Starting anew...
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kwun Tong Mountains
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Sarcastic Prince
Pat, if you're bad at spriting, then why not HIRE a Spriter?
I think you need some logical thinking sometimes.

It's that simple. I think you probably need a OW Spriter too.
Or else, the Hack's idea itself is pretty good, as I'm a fan of Mario games of all time.
__________________
I am now an anime dubber, cover singer and a fan of anime. I can still apply as a translator and grammar corrector, though.
  #15    
Old June 15th, 2010, 01:17 PM
.Awesome's Avatar
.Awesome
Awesome.
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: USA
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Haha like the video. Are you going to change the OW to Mario or something?
  #16    
Old June 16th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Kidef's Avatar
Kidef
I'm ready to win :D
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Magohany town
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Nice thought ! I like the way you thought that ! Good luck ! :D
  #17    
Old June 16th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Ravecat's Avatar
Ravecat
I'm Right.
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Definitely needs sprites in a single style.

Use M&L or something, as that has many different Mario enemies in a uniform style.
__________________
  #18    
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:41 PM
dark_ho-oh's Avatar
dark_ho-oh
Dark Mystical Bird
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, Unova
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Videogamerpat, You could go to Spriters-Resource and get better Mario sprites from the game Mario- Luigi the superstar saga for GBA or to Mario - Luigi partners in time for Nds ( I know this because i am also trying make a game with Mario sprites) You have to credit the people who ripped them though.
  #19    
Old June 17th, 2010, 05:22 PM
videogamerpat
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_ho-oh View Post
Videogamerpat, You could go to Spriters-Resource and get better Mario sprites from the game Mario- Luigi the superstar saga for GBA or to Mario - Luigi partners in time for Nds ( I know this because i am also trying make a game with Mario sprites) You have to credit the people who ripped them though.
Yeaah, and then be forced to have people only use characters that left little to no lasting impression such as generic red blob. One of the whole points of this hack is to stir up some nostaligic memories and to tickle mario nerds as every classic enemy is referenced. I feel using the original sprites just helps to add to that. For me to have a uniform spriting style while hitting all those monsters would be impossible, as no one game contains all the classic mario enemies.

The solution would obviously be to create my own sprites from scratch. Even though it would dimish the nostalgia significantly, the thing holding me back from that is lack of me finding a willing spriter along with my admittedly poor spriting. ;; Still, I rather like the usage of classic sprites versus drawing new ones. So you guys can say how much I "Need" to change it, but I don't care. =P Granted, I definitely will work to have them all uniformed size and proportional so the art style shift between sprites is less jaring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Awesome View Post
Haha like the video. Are you going to change the OW to Mario or something?
Indeed I shall! Plenty of pokedotted hills and landscape with eyes!
  #20    
Old June 17th, 2010, 08:17 PM
saifors's Avatar
saifors
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ah who am I kidding it's... Spain.
Age: 17
Gender: Male
hey this one looks cool i will have my eyes on this
edit: why is the evo of Koopa cool-koopa wasn't it called Koopa-Troopa the one with sunglasses?

Last edited by saifors; June 17th, 2010 at 09:46 PM.
  #21    
Old June 18th, 2010, 06:57 AM
ElectricScyther's Avatar
ElectricScyther
The lessons we learn
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hell on Earth (Or Texas, if you must.)
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
The sprites are just...no.
BTW "Bat" is called Swooper. Look it up.
This would be very good if you ditch those lame sprites, but...
__________________

Taio Cruz -- Dynamite


  #22    
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Undertaker. Co.
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Blurg
The graphics are far beyond help
I see you have tried straches - or - pixel overs
and the game sprites form the other mario series
dont do
Make ur own ones
__________________
gone.
  #23    
Old June 18th, 2010, 06:01 PM
videogamerpat
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
Blurg
The graphics are far beyond help
I see you have tried straches - or - pixel overs
and the game sprites form the other mario series
dont do
Make ur own ones
Nope.

Although I am working on getting the pixel sizes consistent with all the guys.
  #24    
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:38 PM
LassLaura's Avatar
LassLaura
No, I don't want a breakfast burrito
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kamurocho
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
I want a Minimouser D: I thought they were called Little Mousers though... either way I love them
  #25    
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:44 PM
videogamerpat
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LassLaura View Post
I want a Minimouser D: I thought they were called Little Mousers though... either way I love them
Hah! This I did know! I'm not a complete mario noob. XD But the 10 letter limit for pokemon names can be a real ***** sometimes. ;;
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 11:40 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.