The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking > Hacks Showcase > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 12th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Team Fail

Nature: Brave
I've been watching this hack and I am interested in playing it. Including an RTC is a very creative idea. If there is anything else that can blow me away, it'd be a Mystery Gift function, but I don't see that happening.

Team Fail

Community Supporter Collab
☆ ☆ ☆

Old May 14th, 2011, 01:59 AM
Sawakita
Not Invented Here

I've added color palette for different daytimes (colors' choices will probably change during the development):

ANSWERS:
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilava's Master View Post
Wow you just don't cease to amaze me. This looks like G/S/C hack as opposed to a RBGY hack which is amazing! I really like your devamps too. Though I'm curious as to why you chose Blue over Gold/Silver? Keep up the good work.
I like Blue more than other generations because it's the only one I really played to its conclusion (I never finished GSC, barely started playing RSE, never started playing following generation(s)), so it's mainly because of nostalgia and confidence about the inner structure and content of the ROM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saten Ruiko View Post
Since my English is limited I'll try to say it as short as I can: You hack awesome, maybe one of the best GB-Hacks around these forums. I love your story and the features. The screenshots are as sweet as sugar, same to your latest update. I will definitely bookmark this, keep up the good work!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jespoke View Post
It looks like a 2. gen game, with is awesome for a 1. gen hack :D And you have chosen some of my favorite sprites for individual pokemon (Like Silver Bulbasaur if i'm not wrong)

Bookmarked.
Someone once defined Wood a 1.5th generation game; I like to think it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namy_90 View Post
whoa nice hack there,
is there gonna be a RTC event in this game?
good luck, i hope you can complete this hack ;)
Of course there will be RTC events, I'm going to try to use this feature in every possible way, considering the time it took to be implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolboyman View Post
Official statement: This hack will be better than my Pokemon Brown if completed.

I'm very proud of you and everyone who is pushing ROM hacking forward while I'm busy with other stuff. Keep it up.
Thanks for the good feedback. I really hope this hack will open more minds about hacking possibilities (too many misconceptions exist around ROM hacking, in my opinion). After all this is just my first hack (and probably the last one too, considering the time it takes to be done!).
[On a side note: I'm not too fond about comparison between hacks: someone expressed this concept better than me.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
I've been watching this hack and I am interested in playing it. Including an RTC is a very creative idea. If there is anything else that can blow me away, it'd be a Mystery Gift function, but I don't see that happening.
Thank you. I'll gather information about this "Mystery Gift" function, which, you might be surprised, I never made use of, and I'll see if it's worth being added.

| 1st Gen Hacking: Useful Links | A good example of REAL ROM Hacking |
Old May 14th, 2011, 05:28 AM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Awesome work

I like how you implemented the clock system so that it doesn't use same kind of routine to check if it's morning/day/night (and so there are also more than three palettes).

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old June 3rd, 2011, 11:07 PM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to QuilavaKing
Brown version... wood version.

Was gen 1 really that boring?

(Looks pretty good though, I must say.)
#156 :: Quilava

The Volcano Pokemon

Old June 4th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Sawakita
Not Invented Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilavaKing View Post
Brown version... wood version.

Was gen 1 really that boring?
What does it mean? Does a title make a game boring? I don't think a title determines whether a game is fun or boring; also, personally, I find that single-word titles are more effective and pleasant than those long titles (like "super shining destiny of the universe: Arceus's revenge 2", or something along those lines).

Anyway, about the actual game: I've completed the pokedex plan, there will be around 180-190 monsters (didn't insert all the actual pokemon yet, though). Also, I've met some glitch involving night palettes that slows down the development a little bit.

Old June 4th, 2011, 08:52 AM
~Red
Meh. Hate me if you will.

Here's a challenge: Have you thought about implementing seasons? You could do it so that the seasons changed periodically (not real time). You could then do something similar to Zelda: Oracle of Seasons where the map changes slightly during different seasons so you can get past obstacles etc.
Old June 4th, 2011, 11:51 AM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to QuilavaKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawakita View Post

What does it mean? Does a title make a game boring? I don't think a title determines whether a game is fun or boring; also, personally, I find that single-word titles are more effective and pleasant than those long titles (like "super shining destiny of the universe: Arceus's revenge 2", or something along those lines).
I'm just saying, of all of the colors, brown is probably the most boring... and of all the materials, wood is the most boring... other than maybe mud or dirt.

I do agree about 1 word titles being better though.
#156 :: Quilava

The Volcano Pokemon

Old June 5th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Sawakita
Not Invented Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Red View Post
Here's a challenge: Have you thought about implementing seasons? You could do it so that the seasons changed periodically (not real time). You could then do something similar to Zelda: Oracle of Seasons where the map changes slightly during different seasons so you can get past obstacles etc.
I like this idea! And shouldn't even be too hard to implement. Thanks for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilavaKing View Post
I'm just saying, of all of the colors, brown is probably the most boring... and of all the materials, wood is the most boring... other than maybe mud or dirt.

I do agree about 1 word titles being better though.
I see what you mean. Just for record, anyway, Wood is intended as place, not as material.

Old June 11th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Hokorashiimesuinu
sinnoh master

Nature: Sassy
Eep! I can't wait for this, it's been a long time since I played a decent Blue hack.
Old June 12th, 2011, 02:31 AM
~Red

Quote:
An extension to this idea could be (and I'm just getting creative here) that you added new HMs or item that magically change the seasons, that way you could have more than basic cut trees or water blocking paths. You could have overgrown trees which will die out in the winter and let you past.
Old June 12th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
~Red has a point.
Having seasons in your Blue hack would be good.
It gives you more obstacle rather than cut trees and water.
and also it would be good I don't think any released hack so far has a working season implemented. :D
Old June 13th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Sawakita
Not Invented Here

Quote:
An extension to this idea could be (and I'm just getting creative here) that you added new HMs or item that magically change the seasons, that way you could have more than basic cut trees or water blocking paths. You could have overgrown trees which will die out in the winter and let you past.
Interesting. Maybe I could put a key item (a sort of "type booster") that, when used on a high-leveled pokemon, affects the season according to its type: for example if the pokemon is ice and at least level 40 the season becomes winter, if it's fire then you'll get summer.

Old June 13th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Wesley FG

It's awesome to see these changes he can make a rom in GB, with a great quality, usually this kind of hack is not very appreciated, but you've got a great job with these graphics, the maps also is very good!
It seems to be a great scripter, too!

Old June 15th, 2011, 12:06 AM
jhay21

Nature: Timid
will this work on a MeBoy emulator?
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhay21 View Post
This isn't released yet so no-one knows.
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:37 PM
~Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawakita View Post

Interesting. Maybe I could put a key item (a sort of "type booster") that, when used on a high-leveled pokemon, affects the season according to its type: for example if the pokemon is ice and at least level 40 the season becomes winter, if it's fire then you'll get summer.
Now that's an interesting idea! Will this key item have unlimited uses?
Old June 18th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Sawakita
Not Invented Here

Quote:
Now that's an interesting idea! Will this key item have unlimited uses?
Probably it should since it is a key item and having limited use would be maybe somewhat annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhay21 View Post
I didn't test it, but since it works with Blue (this hack's base ROM) and with Gold (upon which I based the RTC feature), it should work with Wood too.

Small update: night tileset problem is fixed: now at night-time windows are actually lighter than rest of tiles.

Last edited by Sawakita; June 18th, 2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old June 18th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Rock Star Incorporated
Beginning Trainer

This looks epic. I am really impressed with what your doing with a retro rom, I am looking more forward to this more than... I don't know what. So happy I randomly clicked onto this thread!
Old June 18th, 2011, 05:40 PM
kringlur
Velkominn í heim POKéMON!

Nature: Hasty
I've been lurking on this for a while, but it looks fantastic! I'm really pleased you're working on something so great with the first generation, too.

The key item seasons idea sounds pretty cool, although it'd have to be explained well in the game in order for someone to get what it's supposed to do. Would NPCs comment on how fast the seasons are changing? Hahaha...
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Dodq2
Black Knights Commander

This may not mean much coming from a new member but I have to say, I am more excited for this hack to come out over Pokemon Prism! Not only is the plot compelling, but I have been waiting for the day when finally I would be able to be a badass-avenger-type, but I also get to look like the coolest Pokemon sprite used! I DESPISE looking like the Red/Gold/DPPT-guys!!! I've always wanted too look like the rival, and haven't since Zel (Shiny Gold creator) began and soon quit Pokemon Gary Edition. I'm sure this hack will go far, never give up on it! I can see the raw potential it has. Good luck, I will DEFINITELY be watching and waiting for (dare I say it?) Beta 1!

In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power... Green Lantern's light!
Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:01 PM
Sawakita
Not Invented Here

Update: really small, as usual. I've been repointing lots of tables lately, since they need to be expanded in order to allow inserting new pokemon and stuff.

I've been also playing around with SGB palettes (also getting rid of that pseudo-white/pink shade), and by the way here's a possible new color scheme for the titlescreen:

How about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Star Incorporated View Post
This looks epic. I am really impressed with what your doing with a retro rom, I am looking more forward to this more than... I don't know what. So happy I randomly clicked onto this thread!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kringlur View Post
I've been lurking on this for a while, but it looks fantastic! I'm really pleased you're working on something so great with the first generation, too.

The key item seasons idea sounds pretty cool, although it'd have to be explained well in the game in order for someone to get what it's supposed to do. Would NPCs comment on how fast the seasons are changing? Hahaha...
Thanks. Of course NPC and "trainer tips" signposts will help the player understanding the various feature. After all that's how original creators did too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodq2 View Post
This may not mean much coming from a new member but I have to say, I am more excited for this hack to come out over Pokemon Prism! Not only is the plot compelling, but I have been waiting for the day when finally I would be able to be a badass-avenger-type, but I also get to look like the coolest Pokemon sprite used! I DESPISE looking like the Red/Gold/DPPT-guys!!! I've always wanted too look like the rival, and haven't since Zel (Shiny Gold creator) began and soon quit Pokemon Gary Edition. I'm sure this hack will go far, never give up on it! I can see the raw potential it has. Good luck, I will DEFINITELY be watching and waiting for (dare I say it?) Beta 1!
Thank you, I seriously plan to make this a complete hack (no idea how it will be going to take, though).

Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:07 PM
iloveanne
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
wow. this looks like a hack id play. i need to stay posted. i lkike the way you added the day and night systems

Current Challenges:
None at the moment
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:11 PM
aleonconejera
Beginning Trainer

Wow, great work, i'm sure i'll be a great hack, keep with the good work, and i loved your choise for protagonist of the game!!!! I FREAKIN' WANT TO SEE THIS FINISHED!!!!!

Last edited by aleonconejera; July 19th, 2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: adding
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:57 AM
pokemonlover493
Trainer

Nature: Lax
This looks like a great hack. I will be playing it.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 04:50 AM
classiccartoonsftw
Nintendo is for awesome people

If this game's going to be released, will it be a demo, an alpha, a beta, or will you first complete it and then release it?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links