The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Pixel Art

Notices

Pixel Art For your creative works that focus on every individual pixel. Share (but not steal) your works with others to suit many purposes.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 16th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Rodriguezjames55
No Jokes #MegaCharizard

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Rodriguezjames55
hi i have a Erika sprite i dont like something about it at 1st i thought it was the outlining but after zooming i realized it wasn't this is for 64x64 trainer resource
Old September 16th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

Spriter's Showcase Thread is to get critique from your artwork. This place is strictly discussion about pixel art and pixel art mediums, also this is for the Weekly Pixel Contest discussion.
Old September 17th, 2012, 06:21 AM
blackmoonflower
You won't like me if I'm angry

Nature: Quiet
If you want it critiqued, try actually reading Logie's post and go put the sprite in the Spriter's Showcase Thread.

Anywho, I've been kind of wondering. I know there are some cheats to pixelling out there, like playing with Photoshop's filters to make an image look like pixel art. Anyone ever try something like that? And if so, what do you use?

<dA <Pixel thread <Etsy
Old October 8th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Chesu
Boss Carrot

Nature: Relaxed
Has the "posts on personal showcase threads must contain constructive criticism" rule been lifted? I've looked at a few showcases recently, and the sprites were good enough that I didn't really have any critiques. Other people have just been posting things like "good job I like your sprites", though.

Updated 11/07/10.
Old October 8th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Logiedan

I've been meaning to lighten that rule. Critique is appreciative but not exactly necessary as some posts can be based solely on comments, but the comments should have a reason. If they're posting "nice x sprite, it's awesome," then I don't exactly allow it but if they added onto it more and gave reason such as defining the clean outline or clean shading, design, concept, etc. then it would be a good comment.

Constructive criticism is an important part of an art forum, it helps the artist better himself/herself. Although I said it is appreciative, it's also highly recommended because I'm sure the artists themselves want to improve.
The rule for the showcase thread says that there must be constructive criticism because it's not any ordinary gallery thread with multiple kinds of sprites and pixel art. The main point to the showcase thread is to point out one piece out of the others and have it improved by receiving CC.

Last edited by Logiedan; October 8th, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old October 14th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Logiedan

Here's a topic or something everyone can discuss about regarding the WPC:

Do you think the entries should be voted on to determine the winner?

I want to improve the contests and add more fairness. I feel contestants might feel uneasy about one judge deciding the winners and everything.
Old October 14th, 2012, 10:11 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logiedan View Post
Here's a topic or something everyone can discuss about regarding the WPC:

Do you think the entries should be voted on to determine the winner?

I want to improve the contests and add more fairness. I feel contestants might feel uneasy about one judge deciding the winners and everything.
I would say that three judges might be good.
I am not too sure about voting; people vote for their friends, ect.
Another thing might be to have a score card, so we can expect how our sprites will be judged.
Anyone have any other thoughts?

Don't be a rotten apple!
Check-out my Forbitten to see the latest developments in the Kenbi Region
!

Old October 14th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Chesu
Boss Carrot

I think I would prefer impartial judges above anything else. Showing the judges the sprites without telling them who made which sprite would be ideal, though I think to properly critique the sprites they would have to know a bit about spriting; if you just showed them to random PC users, you would need a pretty big sample size to eliminate people that voted just because they like Wooper, or like the color yellow, or something.

Maybe a rotating panel of judges? I know that Scarf is active on PC, but hasn't been posting in the WPC threads.

edit: While I understand why a rule against double-posting exists, sometimes it doesn't really work. For example, I'm editing this post a week later to talk about the latest WPC so that I can avoid double-posting, but nobody will know there's a new post here unless they actually come to the latest page of this thread, and only if they read this post. Ah well.

I'm not exactly proud of my entry into the competition. When it launched I made a list of fourteen Pokemon I thought might work well (including Castform, Spoink, and Mawile), and originally intended to make an evolution of Sharpedo with a large protruding forehead. I ended up being unable to find the time for it until tonight, and after trying several things out, I just couldn't come up with something that I liked.

With only an hour left to enter, I shifted gears and started thinking about what I could do with a Chimecho evolution; since Chimecho is so simple, it wouldn't take much to make it more complex. After a bit of research, I decided to base it on a Japanese pellet drum, more for lack of a better idea than anything else. I actually kind of like the concept, and think it could be adapted into a cute sprite, but rushing as I was and with less than an hour to go it didn't turn out as well as it could have.

It's not a terrible sprite, but it's sloppy in places. The linework is clearly very basic (how quickly circles and curved lines can be made is part of why I went with this design), I completely forgot about the diagonal striped pattern I was going to put on the handle, and the face... Well, I was down to the last ten minutes. I'm likely not going to win any awards for this one, but the point is to have fun, right? With that in mind, some kind of speed challenge may be interesting in the future, though I'm not sure how that would be arranged.

Updated 11/07/10.

Last edited by Chesu; October 21st, 2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old November 4th, 2012, 11:43 AM
blackmoonflower
You won't like me if I'm angry

Nature: Quiet
I think a voting system would be good to determine winners.

And congrats on the winners of the contest. And you did win something, Chesu. So your sprite is obviously good enough.

I got an honorable mention. Yay me~ :D

<dA <Pixel thread <Etsy
Old November 4th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Logiedan

Yes. I think voting would be great.
Old November 4th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Chesu
Boss Carrot

I honestly don't agree with the results... Forekast seemed the clear winner to me.

I you want to put it up to a vote, you should have the entrants send their entries in private messages, to avoid bias in the results.

Updated 11/07/10.
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:51 AM
loucas
100% hot

Nature: Timid
I checked for days and days, the thread, to see who won wpc, and i realized it was closed so i thought no one won or it was forgotten.

i'm excited because it was my first time participating.

i also thought that the castform evolution should have won, thanks anyways, for the appreciation of my work,
btw i think votation is a good idea.

BLACK: 4341 7135 0561
WHITE: 5372 5056 7476
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Logiedan

I think I can trust on people to judge which is more appealing.

Also, I'll be pausing the WPC as I need to organize more and recap the beginning of the WPC to this point. Thanks for participating, everyone!
Old November 8th, 2012, 02:08 AM
SoaringSomeone
Residential Sprite Slave

Is it too late for me to give a little input on WPC? If so, then please feel free to ignore this post!

The problem I see with voting is that, while it may have a respectable amount of voters in the beginning, inevitably, the numbers will taper off until it's a meager few. It's similar to what happened in the old rom hack of the week voting, and what's happening (in a way) with the recent game of the month in the game dev forum. The only way I can see getting around it would be to require a certain number of votes to pick a winner (first to 5 or something for example), but that, of course, poses its own problems.

I personally like the way that the judging was done on the pixel contest for PCX, where the judges scored the sprites based on the individual categories, and showed what they rated each part. Transparency, I believe, would clear any sort of cries of bias or any other uncomfortableness surrounding a set judge, especially if said judges explained their scores when prompted.

Still looking for spriters for Pokemon Azure! If you're even the slightest bit interested, contact either me or DJClass. More information available on the Azure thread.
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Logiedan

I've experimented with polls in the past with the Pixel Art Duels and such, and it was very successful. Even people who don't frequent the section voted during those polls and it created a lot of attraction and attention. I can't say that we'll get the same numbers for the WPC at this time, but I think it is worth giving a shot.

If necessary, we can use the anonymous-participation where a participant sends in their entry by PM to the host so we can prevent biased voting.
Old January 12th, 2013, 06:41 PM
The Dark Avenger
Eye-Catching

I hope this does not constitute "bumping" an old thread since it is a main discussion thread.

Anyway, I wanted to suggest an X/Y theme for the next pixel art competition.
We could possibly sprite an evolution for one of the starters or something to that effect.

Retrodex Sprites
|D&D Forum|??? (coming soon)
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Logiedan

Yes, I've been planning to make the next WPC theme involving Generation 6 and it's actually up right now. Still haven't been able to find anything.. formidable or top-notch regarding the judging component. I'm still thinking about having polls with a strict ruleset.
Old January 14th, 2013, 02:02 AM
Brane
-

Awesome theme :D I've been in the Pokemon drawing mood lately so I am definitely going to enter this one! Second ever Pokemon sprite here we go haha. Are we allowed completely creativity in terms of typing etc? Like for instance the Fire Pokemon sprouts out insanely large metal rods (bad example but yea).
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:17 AM
The Dark Avenger
Eye-Catching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logiedan View Post
Yes, I've been planning to make the next WPC theme involving Generation 6 and it's actually up right now. Still haven't been able to find anything.. formidable or top-notch regarding the judging component. I'm still thinking about having polls with a strict ruleset.
Excellent! Look forward to entering.
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:46 PM
Logiedan

All creativity concerning the typing is completely up to you. Let your imagination wander, maybe even a Fire/Water. :D

I hope everyone has fun with this one, and as we approach closer and closer to Pokemon X and Y there will be (most likely) more themes relating to the new generation. But I don't want to overdo it.
Old January 18th, 2013, 03:40 AM
C_r_e_a_m_p_u_f_f

Nature: Naive
Yeah, and don't always make it strictly scratch too. Not everyone has the same talents.

What I wanted to say concerns the judging system of WPC. I do not think voting is a really a good idea since:
  • People would vote for their friends/pals/people who have done them favours before
  • People would vote for the more reputed people, i.e, if two people posted sprites of the same quality, people would generally vote for the more famous or active person in this forum, thus not giving beginners a chance, even though they make awesome sprites.
  • MOST importantly there is lack of activity around here and vote turnup would very less.
But there wouldn't be much of a choice, so yeah.

Another thing, I can never get my curves and textures right, and that's pretty bad since I have started scratching and stuff, can someone help?
Old January 18th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Chesu
Boss Carrot

I think the ideal way to handle judging would be for all submissions to be via PM, then posted in a voting thread where people can each use two votes on their favorites, which won't have the creator's name attached. There will always be people who encourage their friends to vote for theirs, but the two vote system should mitigate that at least a little. Putting the voting thread on a more active forum would probably increase participation, if Logiedan can swing it.

Regarding your curves, Creampuff, it looks like you're running into two main problems: you're trying to make your sprites too small, and you're not adding enough "stages" to the rounding. To smoothly round from a horizontal line to a vertical one, you need to transition with shorter lines and single pixels. To get a good idea of what makes rounding look smooth, try zooming in with your art program of choice and playing with the circle tool. Start with the smallest circle, and slowly scale it up; you should see it pass through a few phases where it looks less round, which should show you what to avoid.

Here's your Zhyfeed sprite, recreated with rounder parts. Obviously it's a little too smooth, with stripes rather than segments and no defined mantle on the thorax, but this should give you a general idea. As for texturing, it's a bit harder to explain... You should try looking at some Pokemon sprites very closely. I always recommend trying to combine Pokemon sprites into original creatures when you're first starting out; not fusions, but your own designs made from existing parts. Having to combine arms, bodies, wings, and tails from sprites with different shapes and shading helps you to figure out things like how the sprites are shaded.

Updated 11/07/10.

Last edited by Chesu; January 18th, 2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:56 PM
C_r_e_a_m_p_u_f_f

Wow, I actually tried this out, and it's great! Thanks for all the help too, Chesu! You're the best!
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Logiedan

Generally, the art gallery lacks activity although I can say Derozio has done a great job renovating the Art & Design forums and it is more active than usual. I think it's possible for the voting thread to be in the Art & Design forum rather than its subforums.
Old January 19th, 2013, 10:00 PM
C_r_e_a_m_p_u_f_f

Yes, I think it should be like that. Most people just come here to their shop/showcase thread and see any new posts, reply to them and go off the forum. That is the main reason why it is so inactive. Besides, many active people in the Art & Design forum may get interested in Pixel Art too! Who knows?

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links