Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges
Reload this Page The mononame challenge!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old April 22nd, 2011 (05:33 AM). Edited April 24th, 2011 by bilzandpap.
Who DOESN'T love Conkeldurr???

Nature: Mild
The goal is to get through the game with only Pokemon whose names start with the same letter. You get to choose the letter.

Simple enough right?

RULES:
- You may catch a Pokemon to be traded for a Pokemon with your letter. In an "A" challenge in Sinnoh, you may catch a Machop to trade for Abra.

- You may catch a Pokemon to be evolved into a Pokemon with your letter. In a "W" challenge in Unova, you may catch a Patrat to evolve into Watchog.

- You may not evolve a Pokemon that has your letter into a Pokemon that does not have your letter. In an "S" challenge, you may not evolve your Shellder into Cloyster, but you may evolve your Slowpoke into Slowbro.

- You must have a finalized team when challenging the elite four/final battle. In an "H" challenge, you may not challenge the final battle or elite four with Zweilous on your team if it has not yet evolved into Hydreigon.

- You may only have an HM slave that does not have your letter if there are NO pokemon with your letter that can learn a certain move.

- The only exception to the above rule is if the Pokemon into which your Pokemon is evolving will later evolve into a Pokemon whose name starts with your letter. In an "S" challenge, you may evolve Slakoth into Vigoroth as Vigoroth will later evolve into Slaking.

- You may hack in a number of Pokemon (at level 5) at the very beginning of the game that meet the above circumstances for each Gym where no Pokemon that meets the above circumstances is available. ALL HACKED POKEMON MUST HAVE LEGAL MOVES AND ABILITIES. In a Unova "X" challenge, you may hack in eight Natu at level 5 at the beginning of the game as you will have eight badges prior to being able to recieve Xatu.

- You may not have a whole team of the same Pokemon, and you must have a team of six when entering the Pokemon League. With the exception of the "X" challenge, that is, in the "X" challenge you may have a team of six Xatu. If this is impossible, you may hack/trade in as many Pokemon as you need. It pays to plan things out.

- Legendaries are permitted but may not be hacked/traded in.

- If a Pokemon is available at a certain point but for some reason cannot be obtained, you may hack in that Pokemon at a level equal to the lowest level on your team.

- You may hack/trade in Pokemon from the national dex

- OPTIONAL: You should name yourself an in-game name that starts with (or has multiple of) the letter that you are playing with

- Post an update whenever you can, but I'm not too concerned about updates. You are encouraged to add screenshots after Gyms if you are using an emulator and can use PrtSc, but screenshots are optional.

- In B/R/G/Y:
Beat your rival as the Champion

- In FR/LG:
Beat your rival as the Champion in his more powerful form

- In G/S/C/HG/SS:
Beat Lance, or Red if you want to make it harder

- In R/S:
Beat Steven

- In E:
Beat Wallace, or Steven if you want to make it harder

- In D/P/P:
Beat Cynthia

- In B/W:
Beat Ghetsis, or Alder if you want to make it harder

I'm pretty sure that covers it.

In-game name:
Letter:
Game:
Planned team:
Hack/traded Pokemon:
Comments: (this is where you put what your goals will be, if your game gives options - see above)

My sign up:

EDIT: Decided I'd rather do Black and White, and change my letter to V to make it a bit harder.
In-game name: Victor
Letter: V
Game: Black
Planned team: Vanilluxe, Virizion, Vibrava, Vespiquen, Vigoroth, Vileplume
Hack/traded Pokemon: Female Combee, Slakoth, Oddish, Trapinch
Comments: I may trade in Vibrava for Volcarona if available. The first legal Pokemon I can obtain is Vanillite after four badges so... yeah. I'm aiming to beat Ghetsis.

Challengers:
Spoiler:
bilzandpap on Black (letter V)
luigi-san on Crystal (letter M)
seeds horizon on Crystal (letter T)

Champions:
Spoiler:
none

EDIT: Ultimate is now available, basically play through all the games with Pokemon of the same letter. You don't have to do the generations in order. Also: Super-Epic is now available, basically play through the same game with each letter. You don't have to do the letters in order. Finally, Super-Epic-Ultra-Mega-Ultimate is when you complete an Ultimate with every single letter, you don't have to do the ultimates in order. If you will challenge one of these epic challenges, just add it in your comments. After completing one game or something, you may decide to continue through with an Ultimate, etc.

Ultimate Champions:
Spoiler:
none

Super-Epic Champions:
Spoiler:
none

Super-Epic-Ultra-Mega-Ultimate Champions:
Spoiler:
none
Old April 23rd, 2011 (10:40 AM).
Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to Luigi-San Send a message via Skype™ to Luigi-San
In-game name: Chris
Letter: M
Game: Crystal
Planned team:
Hack/traded Pokemon: Grimer and Murkrow, since neither are obtainable until you reach Kanto.

Old April 23rd, 2011 (10:51 AM). Edited April 23rd, 2011 by Seeds Horizon.
Gotta love that feeling~

Nature: Naughty
Sounds like fun, will do it on my Crystal version (was going to do it on Silver..but meh)

Ingame name: Ash XD
Letter: "T"
Planned team: Totodile, not sure about what else.
Hacked/Traded: none most likely.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge- Electric
Yellow/ Crystal/Emerald/Diamond
Old April 23rd, 2011 (01:39 PM). Edited April 24th, 2011 by bilzandpap.

Quote originally posted by Seeds Horizon:
Ingame name: Ash XD
Letter: "T"
Planned team: Totodile, not sure about what else.
Hacked/Traded: none most likely.
Just curious, will your ingame name be "Ash XD" or "Ash" and you just put the XD for fun

Okay, my first update.

Got Tepig as starter and beat Cheren and Bianca.
Got the Pokedex and the Poke Balls.
Hacked in all the Pokemon I was going to, at level 5, and released Tepig.
Got to Accumula.

Not a long update, but it's something.
Old April 30th, 2011 (04:24 PM).
Challenger ^^

Nature: Jolly
Can I still join?

In-game name: Mike
Letter:M
Game: White
Planned team: Mienshao,Musharna,Metagross,Mamoswine,Magmortar,Machamp
Hack/traded Pokemon:Mienfoo(Late in the game),Beldum,Swinub,Magby and Machop(will hack evolution of these two too)
Comments: (this is where you put what your goals will be, if your game gives options - see above) Alder I must beat
Challenge Slot 2:
0/8 Team: Larvesta,Gastly,Bagon,Torchic
Final Team: Volcarona,Gengar,Salamence,Blaziken,Scolipede and Conkeldurr
Ch
allenge Slot 3: Trio Species
3/8 Team: Wartortle,Nidoking
Final Team: Blastoise,Nidoking and Porygon

Challenge Slot 4:
0/

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!" copy this as your signature!!!

I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature
Old May 3rd, 2011 (01:44 PM).

Quote originally posted by MSIMMe:
Can I still join?

In-game name: Mike
Letter:M
Game: White
Planned team: Mienshao,Musharna,Metagross,Mamoswine,Magmortar,Machamp
Hack/traded Pokemon:Mienfoo(Late in the game),Beldum,Swinub,Magby and Machop(will hack evolution of these two too)
Comments: (this is where you put what your goals will be, if your game gives options - see above) Alder I must beat
Okay, slight problem there. You may only hack in one Pokemon as you can catch Munna after 1 badge.

But I added you.

I also did some research and found out that on White, Mienshao and Musharna are the only M's that you can get before the Elite Four, meaning that your elite four team would only consist of 3 Pokemon, the one you hacked in and those two. Meaning you'll need a lot of Munnas. Maybe for White I suggest doing another letter, because 5 of your team needs to be Munnas and Mienfoos according to the hacking rules.

My V update:

Got all the way to the first Gym and beat Cress with Oddish's Absorb.
My team is now level 10-14.
Old May 5th, 2011 (10:20 AM). Edited May 5th, 2011 by MSIMMe.
Challenger ^^

Nature: Jolly
Then I'll dropout and register later,no hard feelings,'kay?
Challenge Slot 2:
0/8 Team: Larvesta,Gastly,Bagon,Torchic
Final Team: Volcarona,Gengar,Salamence,Blaziken,Scolipede and Conkeldurr
Ch
allenge Slot 3: Trio Species
3/8 Team: Wartortle,Nidoking
Final Team: Blastoise,Nidoking and Porygon

Challenge Slot 4:
0/

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!" copy this as your signature!!!

I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature
Old May 16th, 2011 (05:55 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to FlayedTree
In-game name: Arrrrrg
Letter:A
Game:Gold
Planned team:ariados, ampharos, arbok, arcanine, alakazam, aerodactyl
Hack/traded Pokemon:the only way is after lance which i need all six of my pokemon so i can't, so i'll hack the poor guy in so he can fight along side of me after the first gym
Comments:aiming for red, in this order ill get spinark, aerodactyl, mareep, abra, ekans at the goldenrod game center, growlithe (plz correct any mistakes if i can't catch these pokemons in this order)

Youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/FlayedTree
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links