The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

View Poll Results: Is Ken Sugimori's art style gradually evolving with BW?
Yes 21 67.74%
No 1 3.23%
I can't tell/I don't know 9 29.03%
Other (please explain in post) 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:05 PM
fenyx4
X does Y WITH AUTHORITY!

Nature: Timid
Um...I don't know where this question would be best posed...it primarily relates to BW, I think, but Pokemon General might be an alternative if this isn't suitable for the BW subforum.

Anyway...I was looking at Iris's artwork by the artist Ken Sugimori , and the style looked a bit different from what I'm used to. I checked the Bulbagarden Archives for any other images, but most of those seemed to be anime-influenced images. For comparison, here is Iris and Touko/White (another BW character from the same game as Iris) alongside Dawn, the female player character from Generation IV (who, IMO, is similar in stature to Iris):

Iris:

Touko/White:

Dawn (spoilered due to size):
Spoiler:

Personally, what I typically use to identify Sugimori artwork are the eyes. Dawn and Touko's eyes look very similar with an oval/elliptical, evoking the art style used since FireRed/LeafGreen, IIRC. From what I have read, Sugimori's two art styles to date have been the Akira Toriyama-ish artwork from RBY to GSC (and Ruby/Sapphire to an extent) and the newer developed artwork from FRLG to HGSS.

With BW, however, the artwork seems to be a developing into a new style. Iris's eyes look different than Dawn and Touko's and has a more circular shape, from my perspective, with the image seeming to have a different feel overall. Other Gym Leaders and non-playable characters seem to display this attribute as well, but I am avoiding spoilers for the most part, and Iris was the first one I encountered the change.

Anyway, I was surprised and intrigued because I thought the rest of the artwork would be consistent with Touya and Touko's style, but apparently they partially seem like oddballs when compared to other BW characters.

So, discuss if you think Sugimori's artwork is changing with BW. Is it evolving into a new style that we could be seeing more of in the years to come?

Last edited by fenyx4; December 22nd, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:05 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I can't really tell the difference between the old and new Sugimori artwork styles, to be honest, other than the eyes.

Old December 25th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Forever
let it go

I think that's a pretty interesting change. I hadn't really noticed the differences between Touko and Iris.

Touko's art actually reminds me more of Crystal's trainer art than anything else (and not really any other games), which is a sort of step back, imo, then you've got Iris, which looks much well, cleaner than Touko. I think this may be due to the fact that Game Freak is not quite ready to change the main protagonists images and instead "experiment" with the other characters, or at least that's the only way it makes sense to me. In a way, I'm not quite sure whether I'm ready to part with the art style of Touko, though if the third game does introduce a third protagonist and it follows the art style of Iris and other characters, well, all I can say is that'll be interesting.

Something about Iris' art feels "off", but I can't quite put my finger on it, though.
Old December 25th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post

Something about Iris' art feels "off", but I can't quite put my finger on it, though.
There is difference...but I don't think it's massive. Just something off....

actually do you think Iris looks almost disney like? More so than the other two girls anyway.

The colours used on Iris seem much brighter and less subdued than on the other two girls too.
Old December 25th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Bluerang1
pin pin

Nature: Relaxed
I love the new change. The characters look way better, they're gorgous =3
Old December 25th, 2010, 07:33 PM
JP
wut?
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
I can't really tell the difference between the old and new Sugimori artwork styles, to be honest, other than the eyes.
Well if you're talking about the RBY to GSC styled art, it's a lot more "blocky" and squared off compared to todays artwork of the characters.

But the newer stuff compared to the supposed BW style seems the same to me. I honestly can't see it... maybe I'm not looking hard enough.
Old December 25th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Gumball Watterson
"79% of stair accidents happen on stairs."
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
One thing's for sure, I think Sugimori's depiction of Iris is disgraceful >__> She looks 10 and... just look at her!

Yes, I think we all know Sugimori's art is changing and he doesn't deserve to draw my favorite characters.
Old December 25th, 2010, 08:58 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Well if you're talking about the RBY to GSC styled art, it's a lot more "blocky" and squared off compared to todays artwork of the characters.

But the newer stuff compared to the supposed BW style seems the same to me. I honestly can't see it... maybe I'm not looking hard enough.
No, I wasn't comparing the R/B/Y/G/S/C to the newer gens; I was comparing the Gen IV art and the Gen V art. They look similar to me.

Old December 25th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

Nature: Quirky
I can see where you're coming from with the character design changes, and I think that for what it's worth, it does look pretty decent. Definitely different - lighter colors overall, not so vibrant. A little thicker lines, I think. And then the eyes.

For what it's worth, my personal favorite Sugimori styles remain I and III, though.
Old December 27th, 2010, 03:04 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I think it's changing as well, when I was looking at the art work of RSE Pokemon and BW(G) I noticed that the new artwork seems to use darker shades of color opposed to lighter colors.
Old December 29th, 2010, 09:54 PM
solarowl
I'll always be an Outsider.

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to solarowl
There feels like a difference but I just can't tell what it is...
Old December 30th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

There's something different about that Iris art. I can't really point at it, but I know there's something different about it when compared to other Gen III-V art, especially when, you know, compared to Touko. Must be the edges and muffled edges that's doing it.
Old December 30th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

Nature: Quirky
Iris' lines are rounder, her colors are more pastel, and she does have a different coloring style. Perhaps they just drew the characters Black and White early and made everyone else later on...
Old December 30th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Moonlord
The ........MewTwo

Nature: Brave
I can feel like there is something different but every time I look I can't see it.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old December 31st, 2010, 04:50 PM
PalkiaSpace
Panda Hugger <(^_^)>

Nature: Adamant
Yeah, to me it seems off also. It seems more roundish and vibrant.

Dobby will have to punish himself most grievously for coming to see you, sir. Dobby will have to shut his ears in the oven door for this.

Dobby didn't mean to kill anyone. Dobby only meant to maim or seriously injure.
Old January 1st, 2011, 02:42 AM
King Gumball
Haven't been here for ages...

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to King Gumball
Well between Touko and Dawn, you can see how they look like a different nationality. It is obvious that Touko has been given a much more Caucasian look compared to Dawns Asian looking design. I like this because it really shows how Unova is like a completely different continent to the rest of the regions, and is making it seem more like the real world.

Iris's art is horrid. As AdvancedK47 said, she just looks like a 10 year old girl, not a dragon gym leader.

Old January 1st, 2011, 05:05 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
It's possible that the art for Touko was drawn much, much earlier. But think for a sec: when's the last time Ken Sugimori has tried to properly draw a (possibly) 10-year-old girl? (The pre-BW female protagonists do not count.)

You're also looking at a high-resolution digital render / professionally scanned image of Touko as opposed to a scan from a book of Iris. Not really the best comparable detail you can get out of it.
Old January 1st, 2011, 03:26 PM
Gulpin
poisonous
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I've noticed a change for the worse in some of the Pokemon art. One example is Hitomoshi.

To me, it just looks poorly done and I don't really like it. It looks really flat and I think more effort could've been put into it. It just doesn't compare to other Pokemon drawn by Sugi.
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Opticgoo
Ignorance is my best friend.

Nature: Careful
I think Ken is just experimenting, but am I the only one that kind of likes Iris? She looks like a 10 year old girl, but she has the feel of a careless, fun girl who has a very powerful team, I like that.

Made by me :3
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Haonn
hello, zombie ♥

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Haonn

I thought that Iris was 10 years old

I don't really mind the differences, I mean he's probably just experimenting. His style really did change a lot from the RBY days to now...
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links