The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking > Tutorials

Notices

Tutorials Looking for a guide to help you out? Then you're in the right place! We've got everything you need, ranging from Mapping to Music!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed. The thread revival limit does not apply here.

Old April 6th, 2011, 01:22 PM
HarmfulDesign
Beginning Trainer

I was wondering if it was possible to replace tracks in Pokemon Black/White with tracks from Pokemon D/P/Pt/HG/SS. If so, could someone instruct me on how to do this? Also, could someone please how to edit the game files so that one track plays instead of another. (I want to swap the Elite Four theme with the Kanto Champoin theme) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Old April 6th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Team Fail
Let It Burn

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmfulDesign View Post
Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to replace tracks in Pokemon Black/White with tracks from Pokemon D/P/Pt/HG/SS. If so, could someone instruct me on how to do this?
That's why you can extract the songs from BW and edit them. They will not sound the same unless you export the samples. I intend to add that at a later time.

Quote:
Also, could someone please how to edit the game files so that one track plays instead of another. (I want to swap the Elite Four theme with the Kanto Champoin theme) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
That would require editing pointers. I do not know where this pointer is. Your best bet is to use Action Replay codes for now.

Platinum Supporter Team Fail

"It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."

Charizard

Old May 31st, 2011, 08:50 AM
Team Fail
Let It Burn

Okay. I have been working and talking with many people, including ヤミホシ, and I may have some more new info to add on LOOPING. (yay) If I can get this working correctly, I will be adding a massive looping update to this tutorial.

(Excuse me for the Double Post)

"It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."

Charizard

Old June 8th, 2011, 11:28 AM
darkdarkrai
No. 1 World at war fanboy

Nature: Jolly
My game crashes after I insert the SDAT file

I support

Old June 8th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Team Fail
Let It Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdarkrai View Post
My game crashes after I insert the SDAT file
Hm... It shouldn't. Did you make sure that nothing else is overwritten?

Charizard

Old June 8th, 2011, 10:17 PM
darkdarkrai
No. 1 World at war fanboy

Thanks Team fail, it worked

I support

Old June 17th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Spiky-Eared Pichu
NDS Hacker/Researcher

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Spiky-Eared Pichu Send a message via Skype™ to Spiky-Eared Pichu
Did you know that you can also insert non-midi music in a DS game using SSEQs? I have a proof video, showing Super Monkey Ball DS playing a song from the GameCube version. SMB DS uses the SDAT system, exactly the same as Pokémon.

Moreover, you can make it loop

Jump into DS hacking with SDSME!

Beta 2 available!!

Old June 17th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Team Fail
Let It Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky-Eared Pichu View Post
Did you know that you can also insert non-midi music in a DS game using SSEQs? I have a proof video, showing Super Monkey Ball DS playing a song from the GameCube version. SMB DS uses the SDAT system, exactly the same as Pokémon.

Moreover, you can make it loop
Oh. Wow. You must tell me how you did this. I can expand this even more.

Charizard

Old June 17th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Spiky-Eared Pichu
NDS Hacker/Researcher

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Spiky-Eared Pichu Send a message via Skype™ to Spiky-Eared Pichu
I can't fully explain the "Pichu Method" to insert a MP3 song into a DS game, as it's the most complicated thing you can do with a SDAT (it's ten times worse than looping a SSEQ). But I can tell you it involves soundbank editing. I'm sure you can discover the method I used easily.

Beta 2 available!!

Old June 17th, 2011, 02:32 PM
The 100 Mega Shock
Donator Tier 3

Doesn't sound too surprising - I'd guess that by splitting a track into small parts and playing each "sample" in turn you can work around any RAM limitations that may occur - until cart size starts rearing its ugly head.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:58 AM
Team Fail
Let It Burn

Okay. I have added a new portion to the tutorial. Take a good look at... LOOPING!

Quote:
Looping (Preliminary)
Now, I have gathered various different techniques, but I found one that seems a little easy to do. I haven't mastered it completely, but I will profile it here, in case there are people brave enough to try it.

Before exporting the MIDI, you will want to use note placeholders to indicate where the loop is, if the loop is not at the beginning of the track (example: Jumping to the 6th beat, or something to that extent.) To use a note placeholder, make a note (best if used as a shorter length, for safety's sake) that uses the following characteristics: C0 pitch, volume 100. Put a note with these characteristics at the same point on each track (Which means at the same position in time, or else the .sseq's loop will not be correct) and export it.

Now, repair the midi. When done, keep it open. Highlight all the FF C7 bytes for later reference. Run a search for the bytes "00 64." This represents the volume and pitch of the C0 notes in hex. This means that the offset of these notes is where your loop is! Now, you will want to open Windows calculator for this next part. Take your offset (without reversing it, just yet) and subtract 1C from it. To enable the calculator to do this, set it to Hex mode (F5 if you are using Vista.) This gives you the absolute offset, because when looking for the loop, it skips a portion of blocks 1C in size, so you must compensate for that. Write down your result and flip it.

Note: Flipping an offset is easy. Let's use the offset 0x123456 for an example. To flip it, split it into 2 letters each. (12 34 56) Now, take the last group (56) and put it first. 34 stays in the middle, and 12 goes at the end. You don't change the ordering of the numbers, just where the sets of letters go. Keep in mind, you don't need the 0x though.

Now, taking that number, and your highlighted FF C7, insert bytes before the FF. Insert 94 and your flipped offset. Insert those bytes, and repeat for each track! It may take a few tries before you get it, but you might just do it.

IF your track loops at the beginning, you have it easy. Take your cursor and place it in between the FF and the C7. Take that offset, subtract the 1C from it, and flip it. That is the loop offset you want to use. Then, just insert the 94 and the flipped offset at the end of that track, and repeat it for the rest of the sequence.

Credits go to Markitus95 of DShack forums for this amazing way of explaining it.
Look at the tutorial for the sequence of events.

Charizard

Old July 6th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Spiky-Eared Pichu
NDS Hacker/Researcher

Nice explanation, and thanks for giving me credit for the placeholder method. Hope it helps people having trouble with the offsets.

Beta 2 available!!

Old July 6th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Team Fail
Let It Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky-Eared Pichu View Post
Nice explanation, and thanks for giving me credit for the placeholder method. Hope it helps people having trouble with the offsets.
Oh, you're Markitus95? I can change that credits awful quick so we all know who we're talking about. :P

Charizard

Old August 15th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Team Fail
Let It Burn

I have updated with much better looping information. It is now easier than ever to loop!

Charizard

Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
Team Fail
Let It Burn

I've added a new video that shows what can be done using the latest techniques I have found.

Charizard

Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:17 PM
pgimps
Beginning Trainer

I am not sure if this has been asked, but is it possible to record a song on GarageBand and replace them in the ROM image?
Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:52 PM
Team Fail
Let It Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgimps View Post
I am not sure if this has been asked, but is it possible to record a song on GarageBand and replace them in the ROM image?
I haven't really worked with GarageBand (As I don't own a Mac) but, if you can export .mid files, you should be fine. It's best to use Wine and FL Studio as you can use samples from the game for the most accuracy.

Charizard

Old August 25th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Ninja Lamb
"I rike monies'!" Gamefreak™

Where can i find the "View a List Of" in CrystalTile2? I can't find it
Thanks BTW.

EDIT: Nevermind I found it. First time i opened Crystal Tile it didn't show it O_o.

Last edited by Ninja Lamb; August 25th, 2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Team Fail
Let It Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Lamb View Post
Where can i find the "View a List Of" in CrystalTile2? I can't find it :)
Thanks BTW.

EDIT: Nevermind I found it. First time i opened Crystal Tile it didn't show it O_o.
It happens with me from time to time as well. It's a glitchy program from time to time , but should require a simple restart of CT2.

Charizard

Old August 25th, 2011, 02:07 PM
KevinSephiroth
Welcome To The Black Parade

Hi Team Fail. You have made a great tutorial.

I could find and listen to tunes in mario kart for exemple using the softwares you gave.

My problem is that I wanna use the songs in Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor and put them (not all but some) inside Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey...

Sound files are in .adx format, listenable using AFS Explorer (tool for PES editing IIRC), there is a SDAT file but only in Strange Journey, there isn't one for Devil Survivor.

SSEQ files are "hidden" when I try to find them in VGMTrans. (cause the songs are indeed the .adx files in both cases)

I used nitroexplorer to extract and replace some .adx files, but when done there are two problems:

In Strange Journey, if I try to click on "Load Game" on title screen it freezes (or even if I try to move the cursor) , only on flashcart , on DeSmuMe there is no problem.
And, there is no sound except for the area level theme, menu, cursor sounds have vanished ... Which must be the reason why the games hangs when trying to move the cursor/load a save on the flashcart, cause the sound is missing...

Really strange.

EDIT: in fact, by just extracting sdx and reinserting them for any music that is not a sector theme it works like a charm. But when I wanna reinsert some files to replace sector themes nitro explorer gives me a "error 52 bad file name" thingie. Dunno why.

IIRC, if I start by replacing sectors themes it should be fine, but I'd run into this problem when trying to replace other themes I think. Didn't try for now.

Maybe it's because of a limit in size files. Strange cause the files I reinserted are like between 300ko and 1500ko max, whereas original files are between 1200 and 2600 ko...
If I try to insert files under 900 ko to replace sector themes nitroexplorer doesn't give an error but instead I get the "title screen no sound hanging if I try loading game" >_>
Maybe because I run a virtual PC under Mac OS X to run NitroExplorer and other things (don't have bootcamp)

Anyway I changed all battle/event themes , only left are sectors' themes, which aren't THAT bad. This'll allow me to finish this game now, I was sick of hearing those bad tunes.

Last edited by KevinSephiroth; August 26th, 2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old August 29th, 2011, 02:51 PM
pgimps
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
I haven't really worked with GarageBand (As I don't own a Mac) but, if you can export .mid files, you should be fine. It's best to use Wine and FL Studio as you can use samples from the game for the most accuracy.
Sorry to bother you, but is it possible to add pokemon R/S/E music in?
Old September 5th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Tan and Teal
DS ROM Hacker

Nature: Careful
Hey Team Fail. I don't use Crystal Tile 2 too much, and the button for save, doesn't work. After I edit the music, when I try to close it, it says:

the file has been modified! Do you really want to shut down?(you can click cancel to save it.)
It'll be one of the coolest and most unique DS Pokemon Games ever.
It'll be awesome.
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Team Fail
Let It Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgimps View Post
Sorry to bother you, but is it possible to add pokemon R/S/E music in?
Yes, it is. Use Sappy to rip the .midi from the GBA game and then modify it and insert it. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tan and Teal View Post
Hey Team Fail. I don't use Crystal Tile 2 too much, and the button for save, doesn't work. After I edit the music, when I try to close it, it says:

the file has been modified! Do you really want to shut down?(you can click cancel to save it.)
There is an issue with some versions of CT2, but if you Google it, you may find a version that does save. I dunno why it won't save, it must be some bug or something. :\ I ran into the issue myself a few times.

Charizard

Old September 7th, 2011, 03:20 AM
pgimps
Beginning Trainer

Alright thanks so much for all of your help that you have provided
Old September 28th, 2011, 06:29 AM
froozenbond
Beginning Trainer

hello Team Fail...
I was searching how to make this for long time and finally I found it...
I was reading the instructions but I can´t understand how do you make the loop in Fl Studio...
please, can you make a video explaining how we make the loop, please...

sorry if I misspelled, my english is not very good...

thanks for the tutorial :D
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links