The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 7th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Shiny_Jirachi
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Will there be Fakemon, or is it undecided?
No, but there will be a system in place that you can actually create your own Pokemon that the game engine can understand. (I'm obviously Shiny Jirachi, one of the programmers). I've been developing a type of plugin system that allows programmers to easily create new Pokemon and insert them into the game using the Interface system of the .NET Framework.

Non-technical jargon: You can create your own fakemon with the engine.
Old January 7th, 2011, 05:17 PM
HamishG1
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny_Jirachi View Post
there will be a system in place that you can actually create your own Pokemon that the game engine can understand.
Sound like a nice idea Im gonna have to keep an eye on this game
Old January 7th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Shiny_Jirachi
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishG1 View Post
Sound like a nice idea Im gonna have to keep an eye on this game
Glad you think it's a nice idea. I've got a proof of concept done for the system and it loads pretty fast.
Old January 7th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Dragonite Ernston
I rival Lance's.

May I see this proof of concept? I want to see what I'm up against...
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Shiny_Jirachi
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite Ernston View Post
May I see this proof of concept? I want to see what I'm up against...
It's basically an interface that a class can implement. You can compile them inside DLL's and place them in the specified folder and the game will load them all up and have full access. I'd rather not show any code but I can show a preview of the interface that combines both a Pokemon loader and a Move loader:

[link removed]

Last edited by Shiny_Jirachi; January 14th, 2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Removed the link
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:50 PM
KaiVii
Mime Jr.

Nature: Quiet
Totally keeping an eye on this, it sounds Epic. Is each region getting a different game or will they be linked at all?

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=196223

Old January 7th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Shiny_Jirachi
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiVii View Post
Totally keeping an eye on this, it sounds Epic. Is each region getting a different game or will they be linked at all?
Each region is its own game, but at the same time, it's possible to have some interaction between them such as transferring Pokemon between them (since some regions don't have all the Pokemon, it's the only way to literally get them all). For example, a thought is that at the end of the game (or region), it could be possible to transfer Pokemon from other completed regions over to train and do other parts of the game you couldn't do originally.
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Dragonite Ernston
I rival Lance's.

This is quite an ambitious project. I have doubts that you'll complete it by spring.

But best of luck anyway. May the best engine win
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Shiny_Jirachi
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
This is quite an ambitious project. I have doubts that you'll complete it by spring.

But best of luck anyway. May the best engine win
We just want a workable release by then, being totally complete is not a goal for Spring.
Old January 10th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Dragonite Ernston
I rival Lance's.

Quote:
We just want a workable release by then, being totally complete is not a goal for Spring.
Oh, okay.

What would constitute a workable release?
Old January 11th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Shiny_Jirachi
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Oh, okay.

What would constitute a workable release?
Basically, it should be able to load and be playable. Doesn't have to be feature complete, but needs to be complete enough to actually work.
Old January 12th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Dragonite Ernston
I rival Lance's.

Quote:
It's basically an interface that a class can implement. You can compile them inside DLL's and place them in the specified folder and the game will load them all up and have full access. I'd rather not show any code but I can show a preview of the interface that combines both a Pokemon loader and a Move loader:
Just wondering... why a DLL? Why not your own custom file? Seems kind of arbitrary.

Quote:
Replace the *'s with t's. It won't let me link
'Cause you haven't made 15 posts yet. Might want to remove the link before a moderator does it for you.
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Shiny_Jirachi
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Just wondering... why a DLL? Why not your own custom file? Seems kind of arbitrary.
The idea I had isn't being used; a custom file type is being used as you have already said. I wasn't aware of this at the time of me making the system & posting about it.

Quote:
'Cause you haven't made 15 posts yet. Might want to remove the link before a moderator does it for you.
Even though it's a screenshot and used as a (now irrelevant) Proof of Concept post for someone else? Whatever, I'll remove the link.
Old January 14th, 2011, 11:47 AM
carmaniac
Where the pickle surprise at?

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:

A mod wont remove a link unless it is linked to age inappropriate images or other forums, linking a normal screen shot from an image hosting site is perfectly fine so no need for him to remove the link.

Pokémon: Lost Souls.

Developed by Carmaniac.
Old February 4th, 2011, 11:41 AM
bigplrbear
C# programmer for the IAPL

Nature: Sassy
Updated information in the first post
Old February 4th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Dragonite Ernston
I rival Lance's.

Might want to put a link to the Four Star Mon thread under the C++ engine heading, methinks.
Old February 5th, 2011, 08:20 PM
BlackSheep6
Beginning Trainer

Looking good keep up the fab work!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links