The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.


Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #1026    
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Kirbychu's Avatar
Kirbychu
Scyther
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oregon
Age: 19
Nature: Naughty
I'm going to move this to the shipping thread.
__________________

Paired to cr4y


  #1027    
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Tachibana Azumi's Avatar
Tachibana Azumi
★七色に光る女★
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: the demon world, ho
Age: 19
Gender: Female
Nooooope.

They have only conversed for a grand total of 1-2 minutes. Paul doesn't even recognize her when she tried to stop Ash and Paul from fighting (okay, so they have only met once, but him being Ash's rival he SHOULD be able to recognize the person standing right beside Ash). And the second time they had interaction the conversation was all about Ash. And Reggie, too, I think.

Honestly, I see Ash and Paul becoming a couple more xD
no i do not ship them
__________________
  #1028    
Old December 30th, 2011, 08:07 AM
RubyJB88's Avatar
RubyJB88
The Runway Trainer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nim
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Send a message via AIM to RubyJB88 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to RubyJB88
Hello again! ^^

Dawn and Paul was cool for a bit, I liked the part during the Sinnoh League championship where she had that little scene with Paul. I did like their interesting dynamic throughout the series though. Paul didn't lash out at her as he did to Ash.
  #1029    
Old December 30th, 2011, 09:59 AM
AshPikastar's Avatar
AshPikastar
It's Question Time!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to AshPikastar
I agree with Tachibana. Paul doesn't seem to care about her at all or show much that he recognized her. The two in a relationship wouldn't turn out that great. I can see Dawn going with Barry though since it seemed that Barry did care for Dawn and would help her out if he needs to.
__________________
  #1030    
Old January 1st, 2012, 12:34 PM
pokehearts's Avatar
pokehearts
I like trains.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Somewhere on the earth
Gender: Male
Nature: Naive
Quote:
I agree with Tachibana. Paul doesn't seem to care about her at all or show much that he recognized her. The two in a relationship wouldn't turn out that great. I can see Dawn going with Barry though since it seemed that Barry did care for Dawn and would help her out if he needs to.
Yeah, I agree with him, Dawn and Barry, I can see, Dawn and Paul, I can't
__________________
I'M BACK!!!!!!!!

Friend Codes:
White 2: 2538 1585 2551

The unofficial Train Master of the Pokecommunity
  #1031    
Old January 1st, 2012, 01:11 PM
Mew~'s Avatar
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
You've upset a massive Ikarishipper. >: Dawn and Paul together work perfectly. Like butter and bread. All your arguments are invalid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshPikastar View Post
I agree with Tachibana. Paul doesn't seem to care about her at all or show much that he recognized her.
That's his ego, he probably just said that to annoy her at the time. Either that or if he had forgotten about her, that was because they hardly interacted at all before, I just remember her watching the battle between Paul and Ash, so there wasn't much of her to remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshPikastar View Post
The two in a relationship wouldn't turn out that great.
I disagree. He opened up to her quite a bit in the lilly of the vally conference. I think it would be a rough relationship, but a fun one at that too. /inset hot n' cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshPikastar View Post
I can see Dawn going with Barry though since it seemed that Barry did care for Dawn and would help her out if he needs to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokehearts View Post
Yeah, I agree with him, Dawn and Barry, I can see, Dawn and Paul, I can't
nononononononono. The only think I can ship with Barry is either money/fines or Paul. That is it. Or Empoleon, cause, like, they look sexy together. ;)
__________________
There was nothing. Followed by everything. Swirling, burning specks of creation that circled life-giving suns. And then we reached to the light.

  #1032    
Old January 1st, 2012, 01:32 PM
Xeberos's Avatar
Xeberos
Friendship is Magic <3
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland, Espoo
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
I can see Ash and Dawn together. If you have watched DP saga you know what I mean. Dawn flirted with Ash and she really cared about Ash unlike Misty and May. Ash and Dawn have so many similitaries and they are meant to eachothers. Besides I'm PearlShipping fan.
__________________
Pair: Snivy063 <333
Best friend: AlexOzzyCake <333
Owner of the Dawn Fan Club
Co-Owner of The Cute Pokemon Club
  #1033    
Old January 2nd, 2012, 05:48 AM
Jorah's Avatar
Jorah
What do I put here?
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Britland
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew~ View Post
You've upset a massive Ikarishipper. >: Dawn and Paul together work perfectly. Like butter and bread. All your arguments are invalid.

That's his ego, he probably just said that to annoy her at the time. Either that or if he had forgotten about her, that was because they hardly interacted at all before, I just remember her watching the battle between Paul and Ash, so there wasn't much of her to remember. [FONT=Play]

I disagree. He opened up to her quite a bit in the lilly of the vally conference. I think it would be a rough relationship, but a fun one at that too. /inset hot n' cold.

nononononononono. The only think I can ship with Barry is either money/fines or Paul. That is it. Or Empoleon, cause, like, they look sexy together. ;)
As someone who ships Ikari for fun, I agree with everything you wrote. :) Ah, if this were any anime but Pokemon, Paul/Dawn could've been so much fun XD I loved the scenes at the 1st gym and when Dawn was listening into Paul's conversation, I just wish they got more scenes together. So much potential. Like Barry never fining Paul...
  #1034    
Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:31 AM
Frostik
Trainer
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew~ View Post
That's his ego, he probably just said that to annoy her at the time. Either that or if he had forgotten about her, that was because they hardly interacted at all before, I just remember her watching the battle between Paul and Ash, so there wasn't much of her to remember.
His ego? Paul's a bit of a cold douche, but his ego isn't so out of control that he'd do it just to seem more superior. I'm pretty sure it was more the case he honestly didn't remember her, since he didn't seem to give two cents to her existence 10+ episodes ago. Which says something about himself; of course he'd later remember a flailing wench making a spectacle of herself.

Given how he does handle her a million episodes later, he doesn't have an ego to those he isn't in conflict with, but he's also not making an effort to /talk/ to her; he's talking /at/ her, about Ash. If anything, it's Dawn who's trying to soothe the savage beast, but I don't think she's doing it because she like-likes him, but because they're all in the same boat (as it were).

...But then again, I'm a Brock/Paul 'shipper, and I'm bias to say that's the healthiest Paul 'ship out of the twerps. <3 At least there's a twinge of respect there, unlike the other two. *two points of interaction WHYYYYYYYYYY*
__________________
I don't need my freedom.

I own an incomplete nightmare,
my Neverending Romance

When shall it end?
  #1035    
Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:29 AM
Mew~'s Avatar
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostik View Post
...But then again, I'm a Brock/Paul 'shipper, and I'm bias to say that's the healthiest Paul 'ship out of the twerps. <3 At least there's a twinge of respect there, unlike the other two. *two points of interaction WHYYYYYYYYYY*
Paul definitely found respect for Ash at the end of the series, so I don't know about out of all the twerps. I also only really remember Brock and Paul have real interaction in that one episode where he told Paul he had a lot in common with Ash. On the same boat as you would say. :3
__________________
There was nothing. Followed by everything. Swirling, burning specks of creation that circled life-giving suns. And then we reached to the light.

  #1036    
Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:24 PM
Frostik
Trainer
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew~ View Post

Paul definitely found respect for Ash at the end of the series, so I don't know about out of all the twerps. I also only really remember Brock and Paul have real interaction in that one episode where he told Paul he had a lot in common with Ash. On the same boat as you would say. :3
There was the berating during the team team tourney over Chimchar, and then there was...that episode. With...I don't remember anything about it, except the interaction. DP 100.

Ash took 190 episodes to respect. XD;; Brock did it in, like, 50. Though I'm not kidding myself; it's definitely because Brock was older, and Paul respects those who are older (their wisdom is a matter of debate; oh Reggie, lil bro won't throw you a bone because you derped up).
__________________
I don't need my freedom.

I own an incomplete nightmare,
my Neverending Romance

When shall it end?
  #1037    
Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:32 PM
RubyJB88's Avatar
RubyJB88
The Runway Trainer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nim
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Send a message via AIM to RubyJB88 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to RubyJB88
Happy New Year everyone!

Ah, it makes me happy that we're discussing old shippings. I don't know how but I feel jaded just looking at the recent shippings.

Dawn and Paul may have not had any scenes together, but I did like what we did get throughout the season.
  #1038    
Old January 4th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Alex's Avatar
Alex
Psychosocial
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cleopatra's basement
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeberos View Post
I can see Ash and Dawn together. If you have watched DP saga you know what I mean. Dawn flirted with Ash and she really cared about Ash unlike Misty and May. Ash and Dawn have so many similitaries and they are meant to eachothers. Besides I'm PearlShipping fan.
I strongly disagree, and here's a bunch of big reasons why. Glorious yet avid AdvanceShipper hailing from the ol' BG Shipper's Paradise

Spoiler:
AdvanceShipping has many strong points based around what I collect as a true relationship foundation, and don't think I would forget its weak points, either!
  • SatoHaru is not based around a love-hate relationship.
This seems to be a key factor in why AdvanceShippers support SatoHaru. Instead of a love-hate relationship that constantly induces arguing and bickering, SatoHaru builds onto a student-mentor relationship, which builds from Ash teaching May the ropes of how to be a handler of Pokémon, showing her how to do things correctly. This induces little if any hatred between the two, and in fact builds on trust and compassion, as seen in that ever-infamous Japanese-only screenshot from the ninth movie Now, you may ask, "What about The Bicker The Better? Isn't that episode considered very AdvanceShippy, and based around the coupling arguing?" My answer to this is that at the end of the episode, Ash and May did something you next to never see other couplings do after arguing: They apologized sincerely to each other after learning their lesson, and I don't think you see them arguing back and forth after that. Also, you may notice that many major Shippings, namely PokéShipping, ContestShipping, ComaShipping, and many others converse stating the love-hate as a strong point, which is most likely why AdvanceShippers tend to take to their own when it comes to favorite pairings, because this point is a declaring factor in whether someone would support a ship, naturally. Because of this, you may even consider supporters of SatoHaru the "black sheep" of the flock, if you will. " Now, onto the next big strong point.
  • Fanart depicting SatoHaru support is generally considered top by ADV and non-ADV folks alike in quality.
This is something that sparks little controversy, oddly enough, and artists such as PD+ and Suzu are what make it what it is today. Other 'ship vactions do have admirable fanart as well, but when it comes to chibi, I think PD+ has his work cut out for him. 'Nuff said.

Now, onto the weak points!~
  • SatoHaru is a currently unmet 'ship.
As of the 'ship's start, Ash and May we're in close touch; as of the Diamond and Pearl series, Ash left May in Hoenn, and the two are now out of touch, and out of contact. Many 'ships are like this, including some major ones, such as PokéShipping and PearlShipping; oddly enough, ConstestShipping is still an in-contact coupling, presumably.
  • SatoHaru has three major 'ships that conflict with it
Three other 'shippings, generally all in equal standing with SatoHaru and each other, happen to share characters with each other. AdvanceShipping, PokéShipping, and PearlShipping all share Ash, our beloved star of the show, while AdvanceShipping and ContestShipping are the two main 'ships sharing May; this will cause confusion between the four "top" Pokémon shippings most of the time, although thankfully, people at the different forum bases have the self-restraint to keep it civil.


Surprisingly, its a wonder this thread even stays open with all the topics that are oh so prone to bickering :/
But, that just shows how well-behaved the PokéCommunity can be

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJB88 View Post
Happy New Year everyone!

Ah, it makes me happy that we're discussing old shippings. I don't know how but I feel jaded just looking at the recent shippings.

Dawn and Paul may have not had any scenes together, but I did like what we did get throughout the season.
That's new shiz for me. Did I just go old-school on your ass, or what? XD Naw, I kid, but seriously, the only DP I've seen is like four episodes from Battle Dimension and two or three episodes from Galactic Battles, and that it for me with DP.
__________________

Last edited by Alex; January 4th, 2012 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Because I can. And the best part of the plan is, no-one can stop me. Not even— Austin Powers *puts pinky evilly onto lip*
  #1039    
Old January 4th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Frostik
Trainer
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheRose View Post
Spoiler:
  • Fanart depicting SatoHaru support is generally considered top by ADV and non-ADV folks alike in quality.
This is something that sparks little controversy, oddly enough, and artists such as PD+ and Suzu are what make it what it is today. Other 'ship vactions do have admirable fanart as well, but when it comes to chibi, I think PD+ has his work cut out for him. 'Nuff said.
What.

Where are your sources, because there are so many down-right stunning fanart of so many couples, and I could probably go find some not-that-pretty works of Advanceshipping with ease (nice of you to name two J!artists as your saviors). So, yeah, that's not a strong point. That's a 'shipper's ego. Sure, I can say it's pretty, but I've seen artwork much better than Suzu's. So, no. This is serious eye-of-the-beholder territory, since it's certainly no way to claim it is "top."

You're right it's controversial, because no one could back this claim up successfully, without proof. Of which there is nothing definitive to provide.
__________________
I don't need my freedom.

I own an incomplete nightmare,
my Neverending Romance

When shall it end?
  #1040    
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Jorah's Avatar
Jorah
What do I put here?
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Britland
Age: 23
Gender: Female
I actually see much better art of the game characters than any of the anime characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheRose View Post
SatoHaru is not based around a love-hate relationship.

SatoHaru has three major 'ships that conflict with it
Just pointing out that Pearlshipping isn't a love-hate relationship, either.

Aand I'm just saying that I'm amused Ash/Iris isn't a major ship. I don't think I've seen so many people around avidly shipping it as the previous girl in the group.
  #1041    
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:59 AM
CommanderPigg's Avatar
CommanderPigg
Dento used bishie sparkles!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Host Club
Nature: Quirky
Does anyone remember me? XD My anti-ikarishipping senses were tingling :3

But to answer the previous question, I don't really think that they could have gotten together after DP due to the stark lack of shared interests or similar beliefs. I doubt that Paul would be even slightly willing to help another achieve their goals considering he has a pretty distinct one himself. Plus, he didn't even bat an eye at being flashed right in the face as she was steaming, kicking and screaming...

I will, however, bend enough to say that I can easily see it being one-sided, on Dawn's part, since, because she had been surrounded by such nice boys/girls all her life might want to go for that bad boy meat.

Pardon my language.

Even though Paul had never shown interest in Dawn, Dawn is very willing to push herself to be noticed by Paul. From being the first one to notice his arrival in many instances, to scolding him when it didn't pertain to her, to stalking him and forcing a very awkward and Ash-centric conversation. A mere showing of acceptance and curiosity, or ravaging fangirl hunger? We'll never know.

With the advanceshipping argument presented, I call bull on the fanart and love-hate relationship claims. There is no evidence that Advanceshipping has "better fanart" (since that's extremely subjective and I can argue that originalshipping probably has the best *cough*) nor does that mean that better fanart correlates to a better ship. If both of the people being shipped are pretty/hot, then it's easier to make cute fanart and stuff. That simple.

And if love-hate relationships don't work out, then there goes like half of the shipping fandom, and more then half of the real life relationships in the world. Couples can arise from the strangest relationships, trust me.

And yeah, it kinda perplexes me as to why Ash/Iris isn't more popular. I even supported it a bit when the series started, which is strange, because I never support Ash/main girl. I think it's because wishfulshipping is too popular and Ash has a lot of other options at this point XD

AAAAANNND, I wall-posted XD Happy late new year, everyone!
__________________

Deviantart ~ It's Tasting Time! ~ Youtube
  #1042    
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Alex's Avatar
Alex
Psychosocial
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cleopatra's basement
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostik View Post
What.

Where are your sources, because there are so many down-right stunning fanart of so many couples, and I could probably go find some not-that-pretty works of Advanceshipping with ease (nice of you to name two J!artists as your saviors). So, yeah, that's not a strong point. That's a 'shipper's ego. Sure, I can say it's pretty, but I've seen artwork much better than Suzu's. So, no. This is serious eye-of-the-beholder territory, since it's certainly no way to claim it is "top."

You're right it's controversial, because no one could back this claim up successfully, without proof. Of which there is nothing definitive to provide.
Um, excuse me, did you not see that I was talking about quality and popularity? You don't see PokéShipping blogs doing special entries for a different 'ship, do you? I'm saying our fanart is top not because I like the pairing, but because from an unbiased point of view it is generally more defined and populous than what you may see in other vactions, not that it's better simply because it's AdvanceShipping, got it? This is the big hunk of meat forming my claim: His site is in such a native form of Japanese that the characters get jumbled because he's using a local Japanese character set instead of the UTF standard.

Also, I don't see any "compelling evidence" on your side of the field either, so who can't back it up now?

This is a quote from the popular head moderator of the Shippers' Paradise forum at Bulbagarden, a quote outlining from a super moderator's point of view what shipping truly is; take this in advice if you ever feel like combatting a 'ship without another ship to fight with

Spoiler:
Shipping is the widest-covering aspect of this fandom (denial of this fact leads to canker sores), and for each of that, it's possible to go off the chain. There is no limit to where it can take a person, but to that extent, care must be had so no one is injured or hurt, because shippers are extraordinarily passionate and possessive and protective. They damage their own reputation every time they try to damage another's, but they still strike out. For that reason, you are required to adhere to the rules laid down here, because none of you are capable of holding yourselves in check, despite how considerate you think you are. It's SHIPPING. There's no such thing as consideration. Because in the end, you still hate something.


tl;dr
Shippers are crazy and need managing. It's not up for debate. Welcome to the Ogre's Home. Live by the law and do great justice.


So, what are we talking about here? Shipping, that's right. I don't think Luna could've said it better.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorah View Post
Just pointing out that Pearlshipping isn't a love-hate relationship, either.

Aand I'm just saying that I'm amused Ash/Iris isn't a major ship. I don't think I've seen so many people around avidly shipping it as the previous girl in the group.
I don't particularly disagree with you on PearlShipping being non love-hate, there. And as for NegaiShipping, I think it still needs time to grow and develop before anyone can make that call.
__________________

Last edited by Alex; January 4th, 2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Because I can. And the best part of the plan is, no-one can stop me. Not even— Austin Powers. *puts pinky evilly onto lip*
  #1043    
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:27 AM
CommanderPigg's Avatar
CommanderPigg
Dento used bishie sparkles!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Host Club
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheRose View Post
Um, excuse me, did you not see that I was talking about quality and popularity? You don't see PokéShipping blogs doing special entries for a different 'ship, do you? I'm saying our fanart is top not because I like the pairing, but because from an unbiased point of view it is generally more defined and populous than what you may see in other vactions, not that it's better simply because it's AdvanceShipping, got it? This is the big hunk of meat forming my claim: His site is in such a native form of Japanese that the characters get jumbled because he's using a local Japanese character set instead of the UTF standard.
I have a lot of problems with this claim. First, you say that quality and popularity of fanart plays a huge role in the quality of the ship, correct? And you use pdxplus's site to back this up? Have you ever heard of teppo? She's also an extremely popular poke-artist among fans and is basically the contestshipping/pokeshipping equivalent of pdxplus. To say that pdxplus's fanart is the most quality is a very rash and pathos-ridden assumption considering we all have our different tastes.

Also, I know this for a fact, it only takes a few people to make a shipping grow. Some of my friends have influenced really good artists into liking their shipping, thus drawing fanart for that shipping, thus enlarging the fanbase. So, I agree with you that fanart is an effective converting tool, but it does not make any shipping better than the other, just perhaps more popular (in fact, I can attribute much of Ikarishipping's popularity to the amvs on Youtube).

As for advanceshipping being very populous, I'd say that that's a bit of an archaic claim...perhaps in the AG era, it most certainly would have been, but on more recent japanese art sites like pixiv, I conducted a quick search of popular Ash pairings:

SatoHaru (Advance): 73
SatoKasu (Poke): 232
SatoHika (Pearl): 181
SatoAi (Iris is romanized as "Airisu"; Negai): 104
SatoShige (Pallet): 358

I know that not everyone uses the shipping tag in their fanart, but this is just a bit of an idea of how the demographic is more or less spread out.
__________________

Deviantart ~ It's Tasting Time! ~ Youtube
  #1044    
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Frostik
Trainer
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheRose View Post
Um, excuse me, did you not see that I was talking about quality and popularity? You don't see PokéShipping blogs doing special entries for a different 'ship, do you? I'm saying our fanart is top not because I like the pairing, but because from an unbiased point of view it is generally more defined and populous than what you may see in other vactions, not that it's better simply because it's AdvanceShipping, got it? This is the big hunk of meat forming my claim: His site is in such a native form of Japanese that the characters get jumbled because he's using a local Japanese character set instead of the UTF standard.

Also, I don't see any "compelling evidence" on your side of the field either, so who can't back it up now?

This is a quote from the popular head moderator of the Shippers' Paradise forum at Bulbagarden, a quote outlining from a super moderator's point of view what shipping truly is; take this in advice if you ever feel like combatting a 'ship without another ship to fight with

Spoiler:
Shipping is the widest-covering aspect of this fandom (denial of this fact leads to canker sores), and for each of that, it's possible to go off the chain. There is no limit to where it can take a person, but to that extent, care must be had so no one is injured or hurt, because shippers are extraordinarily passionate and possessive and protective. They damage their own reputation every time they try to damage another's, but they still strike out. For that reason, you are required to adhere to the rules laid down here, because none of you are capable of holding yourselves in check, despite how considerate you think you are. It's SHIPPING. There's no such thing as consideration. Because in the end, you still hate something.


tl;dr
Shippers are crazy and need managing. It's not up for debate. Welcome to the Ogre's Home. Live by the law and do great justice.


So, what are we talking about here? Shipping, that's right. I don't think Luna could've said it better.
*eyebrows* I...don't even know what your point is. I'm not a Pokeshipper or an Advanceshipper, so I don't trawl blogs for either, so I've no idea what you're talking about on those. But you sound awfully biased to me, since you say all that stuff, but can't provide examples of anything.

I also don't understand what throwing PDplus's website at me does. Again, cute art, but I've seen equal quality.

ALSO don't get what someone else's words have to do with it. It sounds more like you're trying to justify your claims. o.O Because I 'ship a lot of things. And I'm not a passionate 'shipper. If you were to go through all my posts here, you wouldn't find much fanning. I'm also not striking out at you; I just think you're saying something you can't back up. I mean, I hate Pokeshipping with a passively raging passion, but good art is good art, even when you hate it. And I've seen some damn nice Pokeshipping art.

If non-Advanceshippers are saying there are some good Advanceshipping art, then why isn't it the same thing? Good art is good art, regardless what the subject matter is.

Would you even acknowledge if ANY non-Advanceshipping art was good?


Soooo, yeah, it kinda sounds like you're making it all up to suit yourself and your aim. Do you want me to provide pics that are of the same quality or even better than what you're showing off, because anyone here could go to Pixiv or Deviantart and do that. Want me to go find really bad art, while I'm at it? That's child's play.

But I think you need to provide the proof for the more over-the-top claim, because I'm sure most people here would believe (and know to exist) that bad Advanceshipping art exists and awesome-and-superior non-Advanceshipping art also exists. I don't have to prove much, because it's simply fact that there is OMG MY HEART IS EXPLODING art and eww-who-used-Paint? art. You're the one claiming Advanceshipping art is the most popular because reasons.

So, again:
Where do non-Advanceshippers say that Advanceshipping art is "top"? Where is this Pokemon shipping fanart authority, especially in a fandom this big with so many mainstream couples? ...They are Pokemon 'shippers, right? Because that's twisting the truth if these people aren't even 'shippers in the fandom.
__________________
I don't need my freedom.

I own an incomplete nightmare,
my Neverending Romance

When shall it end?

Last edited by Frostik; January 5th, 2012 at 08:19 AM. Reason: There's always one broken sentence.
  #1045    
Old January 5th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Alex's Avatar
Alex
Psychosocial
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cleopatra's basement
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
Quote:
As for advanceshipping being very populous, I'd say that that's a bit of an archaic claim...perhaps in the AG era, it most certainly would have been, but on more recent japanese art sites like pixiv, I conducted a quick search of popular Ash pairings:

SatoHaru (Advance): 73
SatoKasu (Poke): 232
SatoHika (Pearl): 181
SatoAi (Iris is romanized as "Airisu"; Negai): 104
SatoShige (Pallet): 358
What you said could easily be applied to PokéShipping and ContestShipping, friend. Also, I'd like a direct link to the URL you performed the search on.

Quote:
I'm not a Pokeshipper or an Advanceshipper, so I don't trawl blogs for either, so I've no idea what you're talking about on those.
Then you have absolutely no reason to argue about those unless you're against them, right?

Quote:
ALSO don't get what someone else's words have to do with it.
They're there to validate my claims, what else?

Quote:
If non-Advanceshippers are saying there are some good Advanceshipping art, then why isn't it the same thing? Good art is good art, regardless what the subject matter is.
That's just it, kid. It is the same thing. I have no bias against good art, so the fact that you're arguing this with me tells me that you don't realize that I've agreed with you on this the whole time.

Quote:
Would you even acknowledge if ANY non-Advanceshipping art was good?
Them's fightin' words, as I've already stated before this post that I don't have a bias against good art.

Quote:
Soooo, yeah, it kinda sounds like you're making it all up to suit yourself and your aim. Do you want me to provide pics that are of the same quality or even better than what you're showing off, because anyone here could go to Pixiv or Deviantart and do that. Want me to go find really bad art, while I'm at it? That's child's play.
If you don't realize the fact that this is all shipping, you need to see a medical doctor, dude. I'm not here to show off, or else you people would be gawking at my posts. To clear up some confusion, by 'quality' I don't mean artwork appeal; I'm referring to the digital quality metre, sometimes referred to as 'bit-depth' or the meter you use to adjust image quality in Photoshop. Now, that's child's play, friend.

Quote:
But I think you need to provide the proof for the more over-the-top claim, because I'm sure most people here would believe (and know to exist) that bad Advanceshipping art exists and awesome-and-superior non-Advanceshipping art also exists.
Did I ever honestly say that there was bad SatoHaru artists or 'awesome-and-superior' non-SatoHaru artists?

Quote:
You're the one claiming Advanceshipping art is the most popular because reasons.
Sorry, but your statement is incoherent.

Quote:
Where is this Pokemon shipping fanart authority, especially in a fandom this big with so many mainstream couples? ...They are Pokemon 'shippers, right? Because that's twisting the truth if these people aren't even 'shippers in the fandom.
What are you talking about, when did I say there was a fanart athourity, and where oh where did I say that Nintendo's Pokémon franchise didn't have a real-time 'shipping base?



Here's you're proof, naysayers~



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
AdvanceShipping (Japanese: サトハル SatoHaru) is the belief that Ash and May belong in a romantic relationship. This Ship is among the most popular of those based in the anime, along with PokéShipping, ContestShipping, and PearlShipping.

Here's the article that was taken from~ Also, don't tell me that what I quoted was a "personal point of view", as you know good and well that they're referring to the hints contained later in the article. *facepalm*
Yes, I think that's something compelling, at least; don't tell me SatoHaru isn't major. Moving on.

Here's some not-so-good AdvanceShipping art, with some also not-so-good PokéShipping art, ContestShipping art, and PearlShipping art.

AdvanceShipping


PokéShipping


ContestShipping


PearlShipping




Now, here's some kick-ass AdvanceShipping art, along with some kick-ass PokéShipping art, kick-ass ContestShipping art, and kick-ass PearlShipping art. Fire away!~

AdvanceShipping


PokéShipping


ContestShipping


PearlShipping


Now, who's biased again?


But, the thing is, you're able to dish it out, but can you take it? I'm not talking meager little numbered lists, folks. I'm talking citations, external references, quotes with link-backs, etc.

So, I'd like some actual-factual proof to back up what you're defending, if you'd please.
__________________
  #1046    
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:43 PM
CommanderPigg's Avatar
CommanderPigg
Dento used bishie sparkles!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Host Club
Nature: Quirky
*stretches* Okay, I really hope you understand this whole shipping business more when you're older, kid, but for now, I'll humor you

Quote:
What you said could easily be applied to PokéShipping and ContestShipping, friend. Also, I'd like a direct link to the URL you performed the search on.
You want direct links? god, making me do work Gladly. But it should be more or less common sense that a newer pairing will have more recent fanart and a fairly active fanbase compared to older ones simply because there is still a lot of speculation and canon material that still need to air. The unknown keeps the fandom on its toes, ya know?
Spoiler:

SatoHaru (Advance): 73 
SatoKasu (Poke): 232
SatoHika (Pearl): 181
SatoAi (Iris is romanized as "Airisu"; Negai): 104
SatoShige (Pallet): 358
(BONUS!) ShuuHaru (Contest): 223


Quote:
Then you have absolutely no reason to argue about those unless you're against them, right?
She's simply qualifying your statement. It's quite a common thing to do in debates because it shows that you're able to see both sides without bias.

Quote:
If you don't realize the fact that this is all shipping, you need to see a medical doctor, dude. I'm not here to show off, or else you people would be gawking at my posts. To clear up some confusion, by 'quality' I don't mean artwork appeal; I'm referring to the digital quality metre, sometimes referred to as 'bit-depth' or the meter you use to adjust image quality in Photoshop. Now, that's child's play, friend.
*facepalm* are you seriously? I don't know if I should be shaking my head over the fact that I understand this or the fact that you're using this as an argument point

Photoshop's bitdepth meter doesn't determine the emotional appeal of a picture. It doesn't determine how many favorites or views a piece of fanart gets. That's up to the people viewing it. I'm certain you know what subjective means, right? It means that the views are based on opinion. Every person has their own view on what's good and what's not. This is true in art AND in pairing preference.

And arceus almighty, in what world is a Bulbagarden Shipping article a viable source for anything other than episode references?? This is a USER-DEFINED space, meaning ANYONE can edit it. Guess who's most likely going to edit an advanceshipping article? JUST GUESS.

And another thing, I don't believe any of us denied the popularity of Advanceshipping. It's very evident in the english speaking fandom that it is, look at all the forum posts, fanart, amvs, and fanfics out there dedicated to it. Of course it's popular. But what it seems like you're trying to say is that popularity and fan material dictates the validity of the pairing, and that's simply NOT TRUE.

Case in point: Zutara (Zuko x Katara) in Avatar. It has an ENORMOUS fanbase. A deviantart search lists over 39 THOUSAND entries (of varying quality, of course). Kataang (Aang x Katara) on the other hand, has less than half of that. Guess which pairing became canon and which didn't? Guess which one had direct hints (actual confessions) and which ones had meta hints?
Spoiler:
for those who didn't get that, katara definitely became canon XP


I'm not even really sure what you're arguing for anymore, but I will say this. Good fanart in a fandom does not make the pairing better. It simply DOESN'T. It just means that your pairing was lucky enough to have good artists drawing fanart for it.

In fact, you can never seriously say that a pairing is better than another because there are so many layers of subjectivity laced in that statement. In short, they're all opinion based. OPINIONS. TOLERANCE. That's what makes the shipping world go round and round.

and with that, I'll share some completely unrelated fanart because I want to XP
Spoiler:
Bouldershipping:


Cafemochashipping:


Oh, lookie here, Ash harem!


Preciousmetalshipping:

__________________

Deviantart ~ It's Tasting Time! ~ Youtube
  #1047    
Old January 5th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Alex's Avatar
Alex
Psychosocial
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cleopatra's basement
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderPigg View Post
*stretches* Okay, I really hope you understand this whole shipping business more when you're older, kid, but for now, I'll humor you

You want direct links? god, making me do work Gladly. But it should be more or less common sense that a newer pairing will have more recent fanart and a fairly active fanbase compared to older ones simply because there is still a lot of speculation and canon material that still need to air. The unknown keeps the fandom on its toes, ya know?
Spoiler:

SatoHaru (Advance): 73 
SatoKasu (Poke): 232
SatoHika (Pearl): 181
SatoAi (Iris is romanized as "Airisu"; Negai): 104
SatoShige (Pallet): 358
(BONUS!) ShuuHaru (Contest): 223


She's simply qualifying your statement. It's quite a common thing to do in debates because it shows that you're able to see both sides without bias.

*facepalm* are you seriously? I don't know if I should be shaking my head over the fact that I understand this or the fact that you're using this as an argument point

Photoshop's bitdepth meter doesn't determine the emotional appeal of a picture. It doesn't determine how many favorites or views a piece of fanart gets. That's up to the people viewing it. I'm certain you know what subjective means, right? It means that the views are based on opinion. Every person has their own view on what's good and what's not. This is true in art AND in pairing preference.

And arceus almighty, in what world is a Bulbagarden Shipping article a viable source for anything other than episode references?? This is a USER-DEFINED space, meaning ANYONE can edit it. Guess who's most likely going to edit an advanceshipping article? JUST GUESS.

And another thing, I don't believe any of us denied the popularity of Advanceshipping. It's very evident in the english speaking fandom that it is, look at all the forum posts, fanart, amvs, and fanfics out there dedicated to it. Of course it's popular. But what it seems like you're trying to say is that popularity and fan material dictates the validity of the pairing, and that's simply NOT TRUE.

Case in point: Zutara (Zuko x Katara) in Avatar. It has an ENORMOUS fanbase. A deviantart search lists over 39 THOUSAND entries (of varying quality, of course). Kataang (Aang x Katara) on the other hand, has less than half of that. Guess which pairing became canon and which didn't? Guess which one had direct hints (actual confessions) and which ones had meta hints?
Spoiler:
for those who didn't get that, katara definitely became canon XP


I'm not even really sure what you're arguing for anymore, but I will say this. Good fanart in a fandom does not make the pairing better. It simply DOESN'T. It just means that your pairing was lucky enough to have good artists drawing fanart for it.

In fact, you can never seriously say that a pairing is better than another because there are so many layers of subjectivity laced in that statement. In short, they're all opinion based. OPINIONS. TOLERANCE. That's what makes the shipping world go round and round.

and with that, I'll share some completely unrelated fanart because I want to XP
Spoiler:
Bouldershipping:


Cafemochashipping:


Oh, lookie here, Ash harem!


Preciousmetalshipping:

So, you're saying that all this is opinion-based? Hmm… Well duh! X3 I am here to proclaim my love for SatoHaru, as you all are here to proclaim your preferred 'shippings. By doing this, I am not denying that it's all opinion, dear friend; it's all completely, utterly made-up—every bit of it—including all of the games, mangas, and anime; it's just fictional in the scheme of things, so why don't we sit back, relax, and take our minds off of life with Pokémon, a viable entertainment venue? Saying that because I'm proclaiming my love for a particular shipping constitutes that I'm denying another item is like saying that my love for Japan procludes any sort of affection for the United States, the UK, and Australia. I think my case is done here, if you have no further inquiries.
__________________
  #1048    
Old January 5th, 2012, 07:11 PM
CommanderPigg's Avatar
CommanderPigg
Dento used bishie sparkles!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Host Club
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheRose View Post
So, you're saying that all this is opinion-based? Hmm… Well duh! X3 I am here to proclaim my love for SatoHaru, as you all are here to proclaim your preferred 'shippings. By doing this, I am not denying that it's all opinion, dear friend; it's all completely, utterly made-up—every bit of it—including all of the games, mangas, and anime; it's just fictional in the scheme of things, so why don't we sit back, relax, and take our minds off of life with Pokémon, a viable entertainment venue? Saying that because I'm proclaiming my love for a particular shipping constitutes that I'm denying another item is like saying that my love for Japan procludes any sort of affection for the United States, the UK, and Australia. I think my case is done here, if you have no further inquiries.
It's one thing to proclaim one's love for a shipping and argue the canonity/situational scenes that could occur and another to argue that one's ship is more valid simply because (quoted from your post, which you used as an argument):
Quote:
Fanart depicting SatoHaru support is generally considered top by ADV and non-ADV folks alike in quality.
This is the fallacious statement that we were trying to argue against. Hold true to your ship, there's nothing wrong with that. Just try to use canon-material and canon-characterizations as much as possible (and try to AVOID fandom material) when debating.

For instance-

Good: I think that Comashipping is more possible than Palletshipping because Gary and Ash are too "bro-zoned" to ever think of getting in a romantic relationship with each other. They're better as friends.

Bad: Palletshipping is better than Comashipping because we have a longer fandom history, more fans, and an awesome bulbagarden article!! (all of which may be true, but never good enough to prove a shipping "better." nothing is)

Of course, joking that one's ship is the best evar is okay, since, well, we all think that about our ships, right? XD

CAFEMOCHA AND COMA 4EVAHS

EDIT: Also, I hate it when people use the retort "It's just a video game/anime/manga, it doesn't exist, blah blah" because of course we know this to be true. But if we were to just accept that as the answer to everything, then there'd be no fun to discussing pokemon at all! Discussing fictional things is completely rational considering we have the basic skeleton for the "physics" of our theories.
__________________

Deviantart ~ It's Tasting Time! ~ Youtube
  #1049    
Old January 5th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Alex's Avatar
Alex
Psychosocial
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cleopatra's basement
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
Here

Spoiler:


You say that saying that it's all fake/doesn't exist is negative towards fiction, but the whole point that it's fantasy is what makes it so great. I don't think it doesn't exist, as I know it exists all in our minds, and that's still existing if you look at it a certain way
__________________
  #1050    
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:15 PM
johnr754's Avatar
johnr754
I am JOHN, heck yeah!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA! USA!
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Hello. I am here to say hello into the shipping debates.

First, I am a PokéShipper. I enjoy it and it has lots of fanfiction, being a popular Ash ship along with Advance and Pearl, so yay. But I prefer Poké over all. So do not hate me for that reason, okay?

Next, I am also Ikari. Yes, Dawn and Paul is not to end up and most likely to be PenguinShipping, but Ikari is interesting and besides, opposites attract. So...yeah.

Last, I also am a WishfulShipper. Now, it has several hints. For example, I read in Bulbapedia that Iris does stuff that invloves Cilan, like saying that she would travel with Cilan, trusts him more, and for some reason, hides near his body.

I slightly support CS, but I don't really have any May ships I support.
__________________
---
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 08:31 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.