The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 10th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Marina E. Silver
7/10/11 R.I.P

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via Yahoo to Marina E. Silver
I'm currently writing a Pokemon story but i've run into a problem. I don't know how to chat dialog for Pokemon. I know what i'm doing for Pokemon to Pokemon, but Pokemon to trainer I don't know what to do. I'd appreciate it if someone could help me please.
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

You could not write out the dialogue. That's what I do. Like instead of having "Pika pikachu pi pika chupi pik achu!" I just have "Artemis tugged on his trainer's leg and chatter, furiously pointing at something." I pretty much translate it anyhow (either by having said trainer translate it for other characters or through narration) so it's understandable. And less annoying to read.

That's my preferred method.
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:05 AM
MeerFall
Strong, Competitive, Cool!

Nature: Brave
you can also put itallic on it

e.g. look it is over there! "whats up pikachu?"
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Marina E. Silver
7/10/11 R.I.P

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via Yahoo to Marina E. Silver
I'll try one of those two suggestions. Thank you
Old January 10th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Just want to interject if I may.

On the subject of Pokemon-Human communications, there are a few routes you can take to make it seem as natural as possible, as in its not too jarring for your readers to read. For one, you could go with Astinus' suggestion and make the trainer able to understand the Pokemon based on its actions. Usually, this comes with a close bond between the two, but authors have been known to ignore this.

That leads me to method two. You write out Pokemon dialogue normally in humanspeak with them using their own tongue in-universe and your human characters will somehow understand the gist of what the Pokemon is saying. For example:
Quote:
"What's that over there?" said the yellow rodent while pointing at a boulder.

"I'm not sure, Pikachu, but there does seem to be someting odd about it," said Ash, contemplating the boulder.
Notice that the character doesn't actually understand the literal translation but can somehow get what the Pokemon is saying. Usually Pokespeak is written in italics to differentiate the two. The only difference between this one and the last is that you're actually letting the reader know what the Pokemon is saying.

The third method is slightly simpler and involves having the trainers understand the Pokemon in-universe without any gimmicks. Either the Pokemon have learnt humanspeak or humans have learnt Pokespeak. Implausible, but useful if you want to be as flexible with your characters as possible.

And that's about it really... There are possibly more ways for human-Pokemon communication, but those are the three that I can remember right now.
his heart..." - Cutlerine
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.
The Promise I Made to You

SWC 2012 Second Place
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links