The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: Should the main character have dialogue or remain silent?
Dialogue 18 69.23%
Silent 8 30.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:53 AM
Lockmaster24
Wise words of FizzyStardust

hey, it seems that this is back (well kinda) so your keeping the same basic ideas?

Dialga and Palkia's Loud Adventures
Dialga and Palkia's Loud Adventures 2
Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:12 AM
00Vampire
Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
Here's two random overworld screenshots, I'll throw some better ones up later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockmaster24 View Post
hey, it seems that this is back (well kinda) so your keeping the same basic ideas?
Pretty much. It's more of a revamp than a completely new game.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
Cilerba
the hearts of lonely people

Nature: Quiet
Those look amazing, 00Vampire. I'm really glad to see them in FRLG style, there's not enough games like that around here. I'm looking forward to seeing some more. ;)
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:16 PM
00Vampire
Trainer

Thanks Cilerba.

I'm going to wait until tomorrow to post more overworld screenshots, but for now...

As stated in the first post: each Pokémon can learn many different moves which they don't have to forget. At any point outside of battle, a player can access a Pokémon's Skills Screen and choose out of all that Pokémon's learnt techniques, which 4 he wants to set for battle.

Though I'm not sure myself if I actually like the way I've set it out. :/

Old January 23rd, 2011, 11:02 PM
ProdigyX
Trainer

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Vampire View Post

I'm going to wait until tomorrow to post more overworld screenshots, but for now...

As stated in the first post: each Pokémon can learn many different moves which they don't have to forget. At any point outside of battle, a player can access a Pokémon's Skills Screen and choose out of all that Pokémon's learnt techniques, which 4 he wants to set for battle.

Though I'm not sure myself if I actually like the way I've set it out. :/

I like the idea very much, but in the screenshot, maybe you should have two columns one for the moves being used now, and one for the moves Bulbasaur has learnt but not in use, and you can drag em over etc.
Old January 24th, 2011, 05:30 AM
00Vampire
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyX View Post
I like the idea very much, but in the screenshot, maybe you should have two columns one for the moves being used now, and one for the moves Bulbasaur has learnt but not in use, and you can drag em over etc.
The problem with that though, is then there'd be four moves in one column, then about 15 odd in another - which would make it a bit of a tight squeeze.

Do you think I should show the names of the moves that haven't been learnt yet - and just have them faded out or something - or just leave them blank like they are now?

Old January 24th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Lockmaster24

blank no questions asked, but if possible just say i'm raising two bulbasaur the weaker one could have what the stronger one has but faded out because you already know what bulbasaur learns so it isn't a surprise

Old January 24th, 2011, 10:55 AM
KaiVii
Mime Jr.

I like what Lockmaster said if you could code it like that, it would be like discovering things as you go along.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=196223

Old January 24th, 2011, 11:08 AM
00Vampire
Trainer

Quote:
blank no questions asked, but if possible just say i'm raising two bulbasaur the weaker one could have what the stronger one has but faded out because you already know what bulbasaur learns so it isn't a surprise
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiVii View Post
I like what Lockmaster said if you could code it like that, it would be like discovering things as you go along.
Sounds good to me.
What do you guys think about the layout of the screen?

Just thought I'd update with two more screenshots...

This is the Trainer's Hub portion of the menu where you can view your badges, trophies (basically achievements), game statistics, and also save your progress.

If it seems like I'm updating random things in a random order - that's because I am a very random person and it works best for me lol.

Last edited by 00Vampire; January 24th, 2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old January 24th, 2011, 08:05 PM
ProdigyX
Trainer

Looks very good to me, but the moves thing, when you hover over the move it should come up with a small info box, telling us the abilities of the move, you no
Old January 24th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Lockmaster24

do the trophies have any point other than look good, do they give you bonuses of any sort

Old January 25th, 2011, 04:37 AM
00Vampire
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyX View Post
Looks very good to me, but the moves thing, when you hover over the move it should come up with a small info box, telling us the abilities of the move, you no
The only thing is trying to fit it all in. Maybe I should have the moves on 2 pages then?

Quote:
do the trophies have any point other than look good, do they give you bonuses of any sort
I'm undecided at the moment. Originally they were just going to be achievements that add together to make up a player score, but I'm now thinking of having a character in-game that gives you rarer items the higher your score is.

Old January 25th, 2011, 11:03 AM
KaiVii
Mime Jr.

Quote:
The only thing is trying to fit it all in. Maybe I should have the moves on 2 pages then?
I like the hover-box idea if its not a lot of work.

Quote:
I'm undecided at the moment. Originally they were just going to be achievements that add together to make up a player score, but I'm now thinking of having a character in-game that gives you rarer items the higher your score is.
I like the rare items idea, it makes them more... relevant.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:18 AM
00Vampire
Trainer

I apologise for lack of updates this past week - when I have had time to work on the game, I've been focusing on the Intro/Prologue, and planning out the story in a lot more detail.

I'll be uploading quite a few screenshots of this within the next few days.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:50 PM
Fraot
Researcher & Game Developer

Hey, it's nice to see this game again. I liked the Asphar concept, actually.

Seeing this, makes me wanna forget about my project and be part of yours. I made my game's whole interface by myself and mapping, curiously, I think it turned out good enough, so I could be part of it.

Whatever, I'm not here to ask you that. I'm here to congratulate you. This concept is superb and the most accurate example of how I would want a Pokémon game to be.

A question: Why does the trainer and wild pokémon grow gradually? If you start romaing the whole region for 20 hour of gameplay, and then when you want to fight against the first trainer or start your first wild battle, they are gonna be too strong that your pokémon are going to be wiped out like nothing?

BTW, I remember you wrote something about only the first 150 pokémon will be on the game.

And also... a new Megaman X game is coming. Megaman X: Maverick Wars.
Old February 4th, 2011, 02:00 AM
RulerArceus
的なインターネッ の最高級!

Nature: Timid
Wow.
This game is great,considering the program your using.
So, for the part where you become a gym leader, do you like give your e-mail to some of the trainers you battle like the Pokegear phone number?then, they can E-mail you when you have a gym and battle you.
It's just an idea that I thought would be cool if you implemented.
Old February 5th, 2011, 05:57 PM
pachurisu88
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Sassy
well your best is gud.....wen u give us a gud amount u cn take a break then continue
Old February 6th, 2011, 03:00 AM
cazzler
Feraligatr FtW!

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cazzler
Hey, It's good to see your continuing your project, I was really interested in Asphar, but it's mostly the same right? If not then improved. The battle system looks unique, never seen a side screen battle. Good luck with this!
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:56 AM
00Vampire
Trainer

Thanks for the comments, I'll just answer some issues raised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraot View Post
A question: Why does the trainer and wild pokémon grow gradually? If you start romaing the whole region for 20 hour of gameplay, and then when you want to fight against the first trainer or start your first wild battle, they are gonna be too strong that your pokémon are going to be wiped out like nothing?
I'm probably going to implement a difficulty option, where the difficulty you choose directly effects Trainer and Pokemon growth - so if you're a Player who likes to battle conservatively, or prefers to spend more time exploring then you can set it to easy and as long as you train up your Pokemon at least a little, then you shouldn't find it to hard.
Also, I'm trying to create a system where new trainers are constantly being 'born' into the world (possibly at the expense of 'retired' trainers). So if you're struggling to beat some trainers, you could just try battling less experienced ones and work your way up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraot View Post
BTW, I remember you wrote something about only the first 150 pokémon will be on the game.
I did originally say that, but I'm finding it quite limiting at the moment in variety. So I'll probably end up either adding the Johto Pokemon too, or just adding certain Pokemon from all following generations. (Either way, the max Pokemon I'll be adding into this game will probably be about 250ish and no more.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RulerArceus View Post
So, for the part where you become a gym leader, do you like give your e-mail to some of the trainers you battle like the Pokegear phone number?then, they can E-mail you when you have a gym and battle you.
Nothing is set in stone yet as to how I'm going to make the Gym function work, but I'll probably make it so that you get an email alert whenever someone wants to battle you for a badge. They'll then probably wait for a while (so that challengers don't completely interupt your adventure) - but the player could get a penalty for neglecting challengers for so long.

Something I'm definatley going to try and implement with the whole Gym-Owning feature is the ability to hire your very own Gym Trainers. I'm hoping to program the game so that you can offer to hire most trainers in the region. You'd be able to have as many as four/five - and each challenger would first have to face them before you - resulting in whittling down the weaker ones and leaving just the stronger challengers to face you. The only downside to having Gym Trainers is that you'd have to pay them. Wage depending on the trainer themselves.

And now for an update. Finally.

Spoiler:
The story is split into chapters, and here are some randomly chosen screenshots from the Prologue (which can be skipped if the player wishes).

* All sprites are currently just placeholders until I aquire better/miraculously become better at spriting myself *

Basically, the prologue is series of scenes (and some battles) which skim over some events from Alex's (the Player's dad) own Pokemon journey about 7 years before the Player was born. I know the last few screenshots make little sense presented as above, and to be honest only makes a bit more sense when going through the whole of it - purposely leaving a lot of things abiguous. The prologue is mostly just a series of clues that could potentially help you to figure out some things from the main story, though its not necessary.

Old February 7th, 2011, 12:40 PM
DarkDoom3000
The Creator

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DarkDoom3000
Looks good, I see ya snuck in Route 1 and Cerlurean city there.
Old February 7th, 2011, 09:02 PM
ProdigyX
Trainer

I like the tile style you are using, very different brining us back to the old days.
But nice update i enjoyed it
Old February 8th, 2011, 07:57 AM
ChiKouu
Froslass Trainer

Quote:
I did originally say that, but I'm finding it quite limiting at the moment in variety. So I'll probably end up either adding the Johto Pokemon too, or just adding certain Pokemon from all following generations. (Either way, the max Pokemon I'll be adding into this game will probably be about 250ish and no more.)

I would prefer if you would just put the first and second gen in this game, the second is my favorite.

Nice tiles by the way.
Old February 8th, 2011, 11:16 AM
KaiVii
Mime Jr.

Quote:

I'd like to see select from many generations, I do feel like it makes things more interesting.

Old February 9th, 2011, 04:20 AM
00Vampire
Trainer

Thanks for the comments guys. It looks like that's one vote for Kanto + Johto Pokemon, and one vote for randomly chosen from all generations. Anybody else have an opinion on which Pokemon should be included?

I've just edited the first post to include all screenshots so far, and also added the start of a more in-depth story.

Old February 9th, 2011, 06:48 AM
DForte
Trainer

I like the idea of Kanto and Johto pokemon, but I think if you do those two generations, then you should add the pokemon that were given 3rd evolutions.

Magby and Magmar were in the first 2, but in the 4th generation we were given Magmortar.

So add, Magmortar, Electivire, Happiny, and any others that have evolutions dealing with the first 2 generations (I am a little bias when it comes to Magmortar and Electivire lol).
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links