The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 22nd, 2011 (03:41 PM). Edited January 22nd, 2011 by The Red Chain.
The Red Chain

So I was looking around here on PC for a bit and saw Pikachu's animation in someone's signature. I fell in love with it right away! <333 The way it dances is awwwwwwwwww. ^___^

Then I realized while watching this little mouse dance that the old sprite/animation discussion ended back in November, so here I am bringing it back!
Oh and Doreida's sprite/animation is another favorite of mine~.

What is your favorite animation/sprite out of all the Pokemon?
What is your least favorite animation/sprite out of all the Pokemon?
If you could change any Pokemon's animation, which one(s) and how? Why?
Do you think the full-body [on most Pokemon] animation was a good idea? If not, why?

I'll post back later with my own answers! Enjoy!
Old January 22nd, 2011 (03:50 PM).
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I was beginning to think what an odd thread this is by the title,I like Kyogre and Rayquaza's new animations the best
Ps: how do you get those sprite from so I can post the ones I'm discussing about
I think the full body is fine, I always wanted them to have the whole back sprite not just a part of it.
Old January 22nd, 2011 (05:59 PM).
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
What is your favorite animation/sprite out of all the Pokemon?: Cohagrigus (for the way it withdraws its hands and face into its body), Dokkora (for the way it tosses its plank around), Reuniclus, Embpar, Zuruggu
What is your least favorite animation/sprite out of all the Pokemon?: Daikenki
If you could change any Pokemon's animation, which one(s) and how? Why?: For Daikenki, it should've appeared to be roaring on occasion because of how plain its current animation is.
Do you think the full-body [on most Pokemon] animation was a good idea? If not, why?: It's a good idea because sometimes it's boring to see the Pokemon frozen in place after it's been sent out from the ball.

Old January 22nd, 2011 (06:52 PM).
Forever
let it go

Just so nobody forgets, general sprite discussion goes here.

Lemme think umm, these animations seem somewhat bad in terms of quality (I'm not sure, but something about how they move makes the edges of them look bad). But, what I do like most is that it's so easy to tell B/W animations because they're completely hilarious. I do like Vanilluxe's (oh no I'm using the names), since it sprays out ice which looks awesome and surprisingly I don't like Galvantula's as a whole but I... only like it cause it makes me laugh. XD I'll think of more later.
Old January 23rd, 2011 (01:45 AM).
Andrut
Collecting dust since 1898

What is your favorite animation/sprite out of all the Pokemon?: Lilligant. I don't know why, but i just like it.
What is your least favorite animation/sprite out of all the Pokemon?: Eelektross. I haven't expected it would jump in such clumsy way.
If you could change any Pokemon's animation, which one(s) and how? Why?: Eelektross. I don't know for what, but i'm sure its animation is absolutely horrible.
Do you think the full-body [on most Pokemon] animation was a good idea? If not, why?: I really love the animations. They add something new to the game.
It's a forest guardian that pities how bad a type Grass is, so it gets moves to help out Grass-types, but is smart enough not to be Grass-type itself. The appearance is simply mimicry to hide from humans.
Old January 23rd, 2011 (06:55 AM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Doredia's animation would continue to be my favorite, along with Hydreigon's/Sazandora's animation. ♥

If I could change any pokemon's animation, I guess it would be Archeos'. I mean, I guess it's not bad but at least it should do something cool and threatening like Hydreigon, right? D:

And I don't see why the full body thing is a bad idea, but that's just me. :(
Old January 23rd, 2011 (07:30 AM).
Kaori
tragedy

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaori
Out of all the Pokémon sprites and sprite animations, I would have to say Lilligant/Doredia's would be my favorite. Not only because it happens to be my favorite Gen V Pokémon, but the animation makes it seem so blissful. n_n

I don't really have a least favorite animation/sprite out of them all, mainly because I haven't memorized a whole lot of their animations so I couldn't really critic on them very well.

Do you think the full-body [on most Pokemon] animation was a good idea? If not, why?
Like the above reason, I wouldn't really want to change any of their animations from what I've seen so far. As for the full-body animation on Pokémon, I don't really mind that at all.

smile. paired to vrai & karpman & drew
Old January 23rd, 2011 (08:10 AM).
Erufuun
apple bunny lover <3

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Erufuun
I still Love Victini's the best~ <3333 Looks all cute hopping around like a little bunny. ^^ <3333
Old January 23rd, 2011 (08:43 AM).
Vrai
can you feel my heart?

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vrai
What is your favorite animation/sprite out of all the Pokemon? Escavalier! :D
...it looks like it's doing something naughty. :>
What is your least favorite animation/sprite out of all the Pokemon? I dunno, I like most of them. I haven't seen all of them, though.
If you could change any Pokemon's animation, which one(s) and how? Why? Uhhhhh I have no idea. :[
Do you think the full-body [on most Pokemon] animation was a good idea? If not, why? Yeah, I think it was an amazing idea. I mean, it kind of gets boring to just see the same ol' cardboard cutouts jiggling to attack each other...
Old January 23rd, 2011 (07:50 PM).
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Omg;; I absolutely love the animated sprites; for some reason I've fell in love with these 2;

I love how it moves and randomly flutters from side to side<3

I love how it's little legs move and also the same reason as ^
Old January 24th, 2011 (03:20 AM).
The 100 Mega Shock
Donator Tier 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Lemme think umm, these animations seem somewhat bad in terms of quality (I'm not sure, but something about how they move makes the edges of them look bad).
Most of the animation is done by auto-rotating limbs, which massively cuts down on the work compared to pixel-by-pixel animating when we're talking about over 600 Pokémon. It has the side effect of distorting the outlines and generally looking choppy.
Old January 25th, 2011 (05:53 AM).
The Red Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erufuun View Post
I still Love Victini's the best~ <3333 Looks all cute hopping around like a little bunny. <3333
/legasp
OMG, how could I forget Victini?! ;___;
Wow I feel bad now... I'll post his sprite because that truly is one of the cutest things I've ever seen. <33

Futachimaru and Mijumaru have some really awesome animations too! [though Miju's is more cute than awesome]

Futa looks ready to hurt someone when it picks up that shell. XD
Old January 25th, 2011 (05:06 PM).
Trap-Eds
Dig a hole, dig a hole........

Nature: Quirky
I'm gonna hafta play a zillion times and see all six hundred and something-something to know for sure. But I know Trapinch and Vibrava's and Flygon's are awesome. I also love how you can FINALLY see all of the Mon in backsprites!! :D
:cer_boogie:
Old January 25th, 2011 (06:10 PM).
ManhattanTheStarr
eeeeyup

Nature: Quirky

Out of all the 5th generation Pokemon, probably Scrafty/Zuruzukin or Whimsicott/Erufuun:

I just like how Whimsicott's fur thingy bounces whenever it moves, and how Scrafty moves around before it jumps. :B

LILLIGANT (Doredia). It's just... not cute at all. >< It looks plain awkward when it bounces around, and moves it's... arms. Bleh, it's hideous, IMO. Dx

You know those Pokemon that you'd expect to open their mouths every once in a while during their animations, but don't? Yeah, those are the ones. T_T The only Pokemon I could really think of atm, are Hippopotas, Gulpin, Camerupt, Glalie... and a whole buncha others. :x

Y'know, at first... I HATED it. It just looked so weird to me. But I quickly got used to it, and now love how I no longer have to see only the top of certain Pokemon's bodies (*cough* Mamoswine and Camerupt >.>).

But yeah, I'm really enjoying the animated sprites thing. I'm just curious to whether GF will make new animations each generation, or just keep reusing the ones we have now. D:
Old January 25th, 2011 (07:57 PM).
Haowakeorden
Gym Leader

Nature: Hardy
I'm not making any judgments yet on the quality of sprite animations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Chain View Post

But I will say that this was a good idea. It was the natural thing to do after adding animations to when Pokémon enter battle. It makes the Pokémon appear much more like actual creatures rather than just pieces of data, if that made any sense at all.
Old January 26th, 2011 (03:05 AM).
The Red Chain

There's a couple animations that I think are really ridiculous, but I can only remember one right now. So, in my least liked section is where this guy is going :

I don't like his design at all, and I thought for sure he'd redeem it with his animation but he just.. looks so stupid... ._.;
Old January 26th, 2011 (03:23 AM).
Regeneration
meow
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Regeneration
I never seem to notice animations, but this one caught my eye:

It is simply hilarious. XD
Old February 3rd, 2011 (05:23 AM).
Espuwott
ALL HAIL THE HELIX FOSSIL

Nature: Modest
Wow amazing and for you Trap-Eds if you come back online:
Old February 3rd, 2011 (08:17 AM).
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regeneration View Post
I never seem to notice animations, but this one caught my eye:

It is simply hilarious. XD
Can't say that I remember what a lot of them look like, but this one definitely sticks out in my mind. It's nice that they've animated all of them, but this is one where it actually adds something extra to the sprite. It just wouldn't work without the animation.

deviantart blog pair
Old February 3rd, 2011 (09:05 AM).
Livewire
The Young Wolf

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire

I still love Hydreigon's animation, mostly because of his biting hands/heads. XD Looking pretty fierce.

As for Scrafty, well it's cute and all, with his pants issue, xD but still not a favorite.
Old February 3rd, 2011 (11:13 AM).
Ooka
<3
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Ooka
I'm also a big fan of . He's all cracked out.
Old February 3rd, 2011 (04:32 PM).
iNinja
I want Patapon 3

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to iNinja Send a message via Skype™ to iNinja
Hands down

JOLLY DANCE.

I just like this one.

Wobbuffet is like, NU-UH.

And Muk is like, Ay wassup homie?
Old February 3rd, 2011 (10:12 PM).
Ratty524

Nature: Calm

Look at this Ambipom. It's like it's jamming to it's own beat. I wet myself when I saw this animation.

This one is just lol. You should watch it when it KOs its opponent. It looks like it's waving that fainted pokemon goodbye.

As for full body animation, I definitely like it. It feels more life-like then the static crap in the previous games.
Old February 3rd, 2011 (10:20 PM).
rlyn99

Nature: Lax

looks like he's teabagging :/
looks like he's doing a weird dance

Just when you thought it was all over...

Friend code: 1592 5269 1431
Old February 3rd, 2011 (10:29 PM).
Rawrinism
Shandera'd

Nature: Jolly

I just love Bellossom's animation! It's so adorable with it's little dance. :3

So cute when it's trying to fly! x3

Tangrowth looks pretty funny when it shakes it's hips. :p

Oh yeah! It's dancing like the pros.

Sponsored Links