Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime > Episode Discussion

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Episode Discussion Whether you want to speculate about the upcoming episodes or reminisce about the episodes you watched years ago, Episode Discussion is your place for discussing, speculating, and reviewing all the Pokémon anime episodes.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 9th, 2010 (02:57 AM). Edited October 9th, 2010 by Blue_Drifblim.
Blue_Drifblim
¯\(º_o)/¯

Nature: Calm
Well, today's the big day. It's time for the Sinnoh Grand Festival finale!
It's been 166 episodes since Dawn's first contest (also her first meeting with Zoey), and now we get to see how far she's come.
Who will win?
Old October 9th, 2010 (04:02 AM).
Vernikova
Booted out - don't be like me!

The final explosion animation was very nice. The battle wasn't anything to exciting though. Less pretty combination moves and more of the actual battling would've been great.
Old October 9th, 2010 (04:05 AM).
okjoek
Hoenn champ

Well I overslept again and missed it but I can immagine Dawn lost in the semifinal or final or something like that.
Old October 9th, 2010 (04:25 AM).
Vernikova

Just imagine a battle full of talking and Pokémon not attacking each other in a battle too much. With Zoey winning at the end since that's that happened here.

Can't wait to watch the Pokémon Ranger special next week.
Old October 9th, 2010 (06:07 AM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote originally posted by Vernikova:
Less pretty combination moves and more of the actual battling would've been great.
Which is what made the AG and BF Contests so much better, in my opinion.

There isn't much to say that I've already said when I watched it in Japanese, except that I'm glad I finally understood what they were saying. Like Vernikova, I also liked the final explosion animation. It was the highlight of the Grand Festival Finals since it is probably the last move to be shown from a Pokémon Contests for a very long time. I really liked what Dawn did to pull off the final blow, except I don't think Johanna thought the same based on her facial expression; she knew what the outcome would have been.

I was a little upset that they didn't play Hikari's (Dawn's) theme song when she was making her final move. They did it in the Japanese version and it made the moment all the better. This time they changed it to something else (a similar theme to the opening) and it just didn't give the same feel as it did before. So, that was a little disappointing.

Now that the Grand Festival has finally comet to a close, I can say without a doubt that I preferred both of May's Grand Festival events to this one. Sinnoh's Grand Festival wasn't really all that far out; not like the one in Hoenn and Kanto which was more outdoors and had a lot of rivalry both on and off the stage. Not to mention the battles were pulled off a lot better. The only thing DP had better was the animation and graphics for the attack moves and appeals.
Old October 9th, 2010 (06:40 AM).
Spikey-Eared Pichu
Pichu-pi!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to Spikey-Eared Pichu
Dawn's loss disappointed me =( She worked so hard and then loses, even with that epic move...Sigh, but it's true, May's GF episodes were a million times more interesting and fun to watch. What disappointed me was that we had such great characters like Nando and Ursula and the "drama" factor they could have been used to was wasted. Same with Jesse. Atleast in May's GFs we had Harley, Drew, and the girl who's name I forget. And all three of them played a very dynamic role in the overall GF.

If you feel like battling, send me a message (: I do use hacked Pokemon and am not afraid to admit it. If you have an restriction (No DW Pokemon, no legendaries, etc.) I'd be happy to oblige by those rules.
Old October 9th, 2010 (06:56 AM).
Vernikova

Nando wasn't so great since they treated him so badly. He should've appeared more often. Zoey's win in the Grand Festival makes her seem like such a Mary Sue in my opinion.

Also, the girl's name is Soledad.
Old October 9th, 2010 (07:18 AM).
Spikey-Eared Pichu
Pichu-pi!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to Spikey-Eared Pichu
Zoe = Mary-Sure. Yes. The really horrible part was that the episode started and you knew she was going to win! I really hated that =\

Also, thanks, hahah, how could I forget any character with such a cool name XD?

If you feel like battling, send me a message (: I do use hacked Pokemon and am not afraid to admit it. If you have an restriction (No DW Pokemon, no legendaries, etc.) I'd be happy to oblige by those rules.
Old October 9th, 2010 (07:30 AM).
Masquerainisthajam
Self-Proclaimed Gym Leader

Nature: Gentle
That was a good battle. But I don't think it was as epic as Zoey vs. Nando. A lot of the attacks were okay, but I didn't think that a Peck/Sky Attack combo would work like that.

So we get to see Kenny, Ursula, Nando, TR, Lila, and Candice of Snowpoint in the cameos. And it's interesting how Johanna manages to make it to the final battle.

Ah, the element of distraction! And Glameow's Fake Out attack went really well in her strategy.

What?! Glameow is holding the Whirlpool with its Iron Tail?!

Honestly, I didn't really want Dawn to win the Grand Festival. Personally, I would have gone for Jesselina, but I think Zoey would make a great Top Coordinator.

And there goes Dawn, she is actually being a good sport! And I thought she was going to sulk and cry, but she didn't! That was pretty cool.

Jessie was so bitter; it's too bad that she didn't make to the finals. And I was rooting for her. I wonder how the rest of the season is going to play out.

Well, since the Grand Festival is over and done with, I'm looking forward to the Sunyshore Gym Battle!

8/10

We can make a Pokémon Concert! All we need is Jigglypuff to sing...wait, that would be a bad idea because we would all fall asleep, Jigglypuff would get mad and then it would draw on all of our faces...yeah, let's not do that!

75% of Pokémon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their Pokémon battle-worthy.
If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokémon up legally, put this in your signature.
Old October 9th, 2010 (11:49 AM).
matt0044

I said that Dawn should've won and I still think so but, damn, was this a great battle! I was nervous to watch at first because Dawn would lose but it was a great battle and I rooted for her all the way even if I knew Zoey would win!

It was an episode that didn't disappoint. It gets a 5/5!

P.S. I so want that dub insert song during the last seconds of the battle. If I had to guess it's call Ultimate Challenge.
Old October 9th, 2010 (01:16 PM).
PearlShipper4Life
LuffyxHancock Shipper

Forgot to say my opinion on the episode before logging out, it was pretty good. Not as good as the Zoey V.S Nando battle mind you, but still one of my favorites, contests wise. Animation was really good, didn't mind the music but I really loved it during that finale attack at the end. Than we end Zoey's arc, we won't sadly be seeing her again, so perhaps its best she won. Besides Zoey kept impressing me each battle she had in the Grand Festival, so yah. Jessie's retired from contests now, how sad just as she was starting to get better in contests without cheating too oh wells. I liked how Dawn stayed to cheer for Ash the rest, she didn't have to but she did, I know it would have made her a bad friend to Ash if she didn't stay to root for him but its true. That counts as a Pearlshipping hint in my eyes. Its funny, even Zoey knew Dawn wanted to stay to cheer for Ash right awayXD Over all, fun episode and a great way to end Contests I guess. It is sad Dawn didn't get to win, that probaly would have been the better way to end them, but Zoey did do a good job so..

LuffyxHancock shipper-One Piece.
Old October 10th, 2010 (07:45 AM).
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
I enjoyed this episode greatly! And I don't actually agree with you guys, Dawn and Zoeys battle WAS better then Nando and zoey's, but then again, it's all a matter of opinion!
I liked the bit with Zoey in Dawn in the sunset~

Can anyone tell me the song that was playing at the end of the battle!?

Nando wasn't so great since they treated him so badly.
Hes not even gone yet! Even if you have seen his battle with Ash this isn't the place to discuss that!
Old October 10th, 2010 (11:29 AM).
Vernikova

Quote originally posted by Mew~:
Hes not even gone yet! Even if you have seen his battle with Ash this isn't the place to discuss that!
What battle? I don't even know what you're complaining about to be honest. It's obvious that he wasn't handled very well this region and I just noted that in a post.
Old October 10th, 2010 (01:52 PM).
Masquerainisthajam
Self-Proclaimed Gym Leader

You know, I bet you that Candice will be more than elated since Zoey won. Imagine having to hear her voice like that!

The one thing that surprised me was when Dawn lost. She actually took it very well! I know that when sometimes Ash loses, he cries or sobs or something like that. I was honestly quite impressed!

We can make a Pokémon Concert! All we need is Jigglypuff to sing...wait, that would be a bad idea because we would all fall asleep, Jigglypuff would get mad and then it would draw on all of our faces...yeah, let's not do that!

75% of Pokémon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their Pokémon battle-worthy.
If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokémon up legally, put this in your signature.
Old October 10th, 2010 (04:41 PM).
joacen
Starter Pokemon: Oshawott

What an intense episode! The final Grand Festival battle was amazing. I honestly thought that Dawn was going to claim victory in one of her last-minute wins again, but I got the plot twist I was hoping for: Zoey becoming Top Coordinator. They were certainly neck-in-neck with each other.

I didn't really like the music towards the end of the battle. It should have been a more suspenseful tune, not an upbeat rock song.

Now that we're out of the Grand Festival, it's finally time for Ash to get his last Sinnoh badge. I've been waiting quite a long time for this. Does anyone know how many episodes have passed since Ash got his last badge? I'm sure it's quite a gap.

John, Paul, George, and Ringo: The Fab Four
Old October 10th, 2010 (04:50 PM).
Vernikova

As of October 10th, today, it's been one whole year.
Old October 10th, 2010 (11:33 PM).
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
What battle? I don't even know what you're complaining about to be honest. It's obvious that he wasn't handled very well this region and I just noted that in a post.
I mean he's going to be in the pokemon League xD
Im complaining that your complaining xD

Old October 11th, 2010 (06:40 AM).
Vernikova

One episode doesn't change the fact that he was used in a terrible way.
Old October 11th, 2010 (01:56 PM).
joacen
Starter Pokemon: Oshawott

As of October 10th, today, it's been one whole year.
Wow, it's been that long? Well, considering that a new episode airs every weekend, it would take a while. But I think that it was too big of a stretch. I was really ticked off when Ash arrived in Sunyshore City and had to leave because of damage to the gym. He finally got to the city, and then he had to take another detour.

I hope there aren't too many fillers between leaving the Grand Festival and traveling to Sunyshore.

John, Paul, George, and Ringo: The Fab Four
Old October 11th, 2010 (02:09 PM). Edited October 18th, 2010 by Vernikova.
Vernikova

"Pokémon Ranger! Heatran Rescue Mission" and "For the Love of Meowth!" air before we get to Sunyshore.

e:

CARTOON NETWORK 1.5/8 Avg. (7a-1p)
Pokemon: DP Sinnoh League 1.2/13; Beyblade: Metal Fusion 1.4/11; Ben 10: Ultimate Alien 1.5/10; Sym-Bionic Titan 2.1/11; Generator Rex 2.1/10; Star Wars: Clone Wars 1.4/6; Bakugan: Gundalian Invaders 1.1/5; Hot Wheels: Battle Force 1.2/6; Hole in the Wall 1.5/7; Scooby-Doo! Mystery Inc. 1.6/8; Garfield Show 1.5/8; Garfield Show 1.4/8
Old October 25th, 2010 (02:48 AM).
matt0044

You know, fans say that Dawn may win the next GF and that may be true but, the sad thing is, we won't see it. If she cameos in BW and says she did win, it won't feel as good as actually seeing her win. That will just blow chunks. The phrase is "show, don't (just) tell."

And another thing, while Dawn's loss to Zoey allows her character to develop more, she should've been fully developed in time for the Grand Festival by the writers so that she'd win instead of focusing the episodes mostly on fillers and COTDs. Sorry, but I prefer my favorite characters to be fully developed in time to achieve their goals. I just hate open endings that forget to tie up some loose ends sometimes.

And before you tell me to stop whining about Dawn's loss, let me remind you that this is my opinion, this is a forum where said opinions are allowed to be discussed, agreed with and disagreed with and that I don't mind Dawn's loss that much. I'm just saying that (in my opinion) having Dawn lose wasn't the only option that the writers had.

P.S. While I hate that Dawn lost, I loved how she made it to the finals and came so close to winning. Zoey may have won and be the better coordinator but she's not my favorite character (I'd like it if she had a more lively personality). Dawn did her very best and I'm glad she did. But if the writers had her win (in the best way possible), I would've jumped for joy and cried in happiness.

Also I rooted for Dawn as I watched DP177 even though I knew she wouldn't win. I don't switch sides just because the opponent is "better."
Old November 8th, 2010 (02:52 PM).
Blue_Drifblim
¯\(º_o)/¯

*is late*

I still wish Dawn won. Worst part is, I actually thought she was going to. I mean, you saw that finale.... >_> Still, the fact that she made it to the final(!) match, and lost to somebody who was very close, somebody we've known for a long time, makes me happy. The battle itself was pretty good, although it felt like there wasn't that much action.

Other things: I'm glad TPCi kept "As Long as I Can Hold My Breath" (before their vocal song). It has been replaced before and I wasn't sure if they'd keep it or not, and they did. I was also surprised that they kept Pokemon Symphonic Medley 2. Definitely didn't that one coming. :D
Old November 9th, 2010 (05:33 PM).
Jorah
What do I put here?
Community Supporter

Another late review :D

I felt like Dawn hasn't achieved much, since Dawn lost to Zoey first time, and lost to Zoey again now. At least May got a chance to win against Drew. I was also suprised by TPCI keepimh PSM2

- Dawn's mum never believes in Dawn, lol. Always knows when she'll lose
- Dub should've kept Pokemon Symphonic Melody 2...was it really that much toask?
-

contest theme
Statrt battle
DPPt gym battle
"As long as I can hold my breath..."
Pokemon Symphonic Melody 2
Dawn talking about her ribbons
Old November 12th, 2010 (10:49 PM).
MrsNorrington
Lady Loki

Send a message via AIM to MrsNorrington Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to MrsNorrington Send a message via Skype™ to MrsNorrington
I've never been so disappointed with an episode of Pokemon in my entire life. We waste three real life years following Dawn's story...just for her to lose. What the heck!??!!?

I know Ash always looses the league, but this is different, Dawn's character is only in the Diamond and Pearl series. For her to loose to such an unimportant side character...was just...wrong.

I'm so disappointed still.........

FC: 1977-0654-1609
Old September 5th, 2011 (03:39 AM).
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

I kinda agree with MrsNorrington, although it was still a great journey... It was depressing seeing her lose like that, but hopefully it'll lead to her getting her own spin off series! Dawn did get her own spin off episode after Sinnoh League Victors (as did Brock) which at the end reads "to be continued..." so hopefully we'll see more from her and this time she'll win!

Sponsored Links