The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio

Notices

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 23rd, 2011, 04:24 PM
rosebunny
Beta/Grammar Tester - Dr.Rose

Nature: Lax

Advertise here
Sorry are these insert trainers extra or do they replace the normal trainers that were in Crystal

There would be more but I can only have 10 Images on
Old August 24th, 2011, 02:51 AM
linkandzelda
n00b desu ka?

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebunny View Post
Sorry are these insert trainers extra or do they replace the normal trainers that were in Crystal
Insert trainers? Do you mean the ones from trainer request? They are extras.
Old August 27th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Maxim
Heavy Metal Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkandzelda View Post
For the record, I respect your opinions but I think its nice to have some extra events in a hack, something you would never see from Nintendo. After all, theres only about 5 battles from zane in the whole hack, and 4 from axel. Thats an extra 9 battles out of hundreds that don't have a large impact on the hack really compared to the rest of the battles. You could say that about the other trainers in the game that they "delay progress in the story". And another thing, the story would be shorter and the game over much quickly if those rivals didn't exist at all, and would make the hack generic and boring in my opinion.
Additional battles barely add anything to the story. If you want to make your hack more exciting then try some scripting or something. Battles aren't hard to add, while scripting requires some real skill.

I'm not against additions in general, I'm against forced rivals who annoyingly approach you in the least expected moments, are blatantly fanmade and don't fit into the canonical world at all. Look at Zel's Shiny Gold. Zel stuffed hundreds of useless characters to his hack, with the most annoying one being Carlos. He was approaching you in practically every single town, his sprite was poorly done (an obvious edit of Noland's sprite), his team was drastically overpowered. His addition felt very random and forced. He was simply annoying, not interesting.

Motherloads of rivals are no good, many previous hacks have proved that.

Quote:
Also about these extras, they are there to add an extra layer to the existing story. When I didn't have anyone back in the early days of LC I let someone play it, then asked them how far they got after 30 mins. And they said they got bored of the game and stopped playing, told me they would rather play the original Crystal.

Anyway... I like the extra events as it sets the scene for other things.. The extra battles also make things harder at times as you battle new pokemon you didn't expect in that area. You should take that on as a challenge and be intrigued about who they are, rather than find it an annoyance.
As I said, there are better ways to make your hack more original and intriguing that merely adding character-less, oddball rivals. If you really want to amaze your players, try something more technical, like some sidequests or something.

If you want more battles, then adding more Trainers on Routes would work just as well (and it'd be much less annoying).
After 12 years of being a Pokemon fan, I'm officially quitting. This is not a rage quit and it has nothing to do with the Pokemon franchise. It's also NOT a sudden decision - I've planned it for months but I decided to stay a true, active Pokemon fan until the very last day. The reason for my leave is the fact that I'm starting my studies at the Uni and I decided that it's a perfect moment to move on with my life. I'll never forget all these awesome years and Pokemon will always be a part of my childhood memories. Goodbye friends! Thank you.
Old August 27th, 2011, 01:34 AM
linkandzelda
n00b desu ka?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
Additional battles barely add anything to the story. If you want to make your hack more exciting then try some scripting or something. Battles aren't hard to add, while scripting requires some real skill.

I'm not against additions in general, I'm against forced rivals who annoyingly approach you in the least expected moments, are blatantly fanmade and don't fit into the canonical world at all. Look at Zel's Shiny Gold. Zel stuffed hundreds of useless characters to his hack, with the most annoying one being Carlos. He was approaching you in practically every single town, his sprite was poorly done (an obvious edit of Noland's sprite), his team was drastically overpowered. His addition felt very random and forced. He was simply annoying, not interesting.

As I said, there are better ways to make your hack more original and intriguing that merely adding character-less, oddball rivals. If you really want to amaze your players, try something more technical, like some sidequests or something.

If you want more battles, then adding more Trainers on Routes would work just as well (and it'd be much less annoying).
Zane and Axel, are not 'oddball' random battles. They play huge roles in LC, intact Zane plays major roles on the Orange Islands. Oh and telling me to "try some scripting" is rather offensive too me as all the scripts in the hack were made by me so I obviously had tried scripting... Not sure if I should take offence but I did... Just wondering but how much of the hack have you played?
Old August 27th, 2011, 01:42 AM
SonicBlazePlatinum
/)^3^(\
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Relaxed
To be honest I like all the things Maxim doesn't like. The rivals make the game more than just a boring GSC remake. Even HG/SS had some new/old things that made it interesting like the Battle Frontier, GB Sounds, Hoenn & Sinnoh Pokemon in Kanto, etc. This ROM Hack has Zane & Axel, Orange Islands, another evil team, getting to be a trainer to battle, etc. I like the new additions, and they make your ROM Hack more exciting.
Pokemon WARPED: Fixed Beta 3, to be available when I ask permission from Magneto20 or the other guy to fix it. Farfetch'd! Septo Conquest Deluxe is on hold until WARPED is finished to be more awesoming.
Pokemon Light Platinum X will be coming soon after CycloneGU makes a fixed version of the current release.
Also coming soon is Pokemon Summer, Autumn, Winter, and Spring. Also to be known as the Pokemon Seasons, Pokemon Summer and Winter coming soon first!
Old August 27th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Ray Maverick
Hit me up!
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Maverick
Quote:
Wouldn't the game be simply better without all those forced self-made rivals like "Zane"? All those rivals do is popping out in the least expected moments and delaying your progress in story. Not to mention that they don't fit the world at all, they feel like a forced, useless addition. Also, why does this new rival battle the player before he gets to see Mr. Pokemon. That makes him the first battled player in the game. Why him and not Silver - THE rival of this story? This makes no sense.
Quote:

I don't really care about fan GSC remakes all that much anymore but it's really outraging to see that most of them share the same failure. Those annoying self-made rivals were one of Zel's biggest mistakes in his Shiny Gold.

And if those rivals are incarnation of the author and/or his friends then they should be put into an optional Game Freak-like place, not scattered all over the world, if the author DESPERATELY wants to put them in the hack.

Annoying "new rivals", who don't fit the canonical world of Kanto/Johto at all, have ugly sprites (usually) and overpowered Pokemon teams only crowd the game and make it worse. There are much better ways to make a hack more exciting and original than just crowding it with dozens of unneeded battles with forced "rivals". Don't make the same errors as Zel!
I could just not help myself from laughing at how much you hate rivals for no reason. Maybe you got stuck somewhere in the game and couldn't beat one of them...?

Also this is no place to start ranting about how GSC remakes are failures and such. Try a remake yourself.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm terribly sorry but you seem to be repeating yourself blatantly. If this hack is just annoying or boring to you, don't play it, simple as that.. No need to post offensive comments.

@Laz I'll play this sometime, I swear laz.. xD

An idea about a sidequest, Dustdune Island or something. That was in my hack but it's better in yours, imo xD It was a Regigigas event, sending you the map in msn.

"I'm surrounded by capable Pokemon who don't need me in battle. If they get themselves bloodied, and I am clean by the end of the battle, how long before they start questioning my bravery?"
- Garland Fordring, leader of the Exathian Gold Tribe

Old August 27th, 2011, 11:30 AM
TBgamer4life

Send a message via Skype™ to TBgamer4life
hey, this has probably already been asked, but will I be able to play the 2.1 beta save file on the beta 3 game? LaZ, great job! with all the added stuff like zane, team static (so cool btw), the new ledgendaries, changed story, ... I feel like i'm playing a new game, the most fun pokemon game ever! great stuff LaZ, please don't give up! i'd also like some beta testing if i'm welcome, I pay attention to the slightest details, typo's,... Is that still possible or am i one of the many who gets rejected :( anyway, great job!!! <3
Old August 28th, 2011, 09:39 PM
ssj
Kanto Legend

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ssj
I was just wondering if team magmar,aqua or glatic will we involved in the game in anyway?
Old August 29th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj View Post
I was just wondering if team magmar,aqua or glatic will we involved in the game in anyway?
Why would they be?
There's already rockets and sparks...
Old August 30th, 2011, 06:03 AM
gundy
Beginning Trainer

Don't get offended with what some people say, LaZ, just ignore the haters. There's plenty of people who love what you have done so far, and are eagerly awaiting what we hope will come next, myself included. Keep up the awesome work.
Old August 31st, 2011, 08:14 AM
revallsay

hi, I just wanna tell that the games in amazing so far. I would play it again, but I'll wait for the new release. I know it'll be worth waiting

Great job!
Old September 3rd, 2011, 03:14 AM
maison123
Beginning Trainer

Umm, Linkandzelda, I was thinking maybe you should... change the Gyarados sprite ? I mean, a Gyarados has a mightiness of a dragon but the sprite of the Gyarados here is a bit...you know, not mighty (?). It's a bit small and Gyarados seems to be rotating to much and looks to be too defensive, which doesn't really fit it's mightiness.
Old September 4th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Zeikku™
Johto remaker

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Zeikku™
Guys, from this week progress will resume as normal. Again, don't give up hope - We have planned a release for this month or next.

Follow me on Twitter by clicking on my signature.
Old September 4th, 2011, 12:15 PM
TBgamer4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeikku™ View Post
Guys, from this week progress will resume as normal. Again, don't give up hope - We have planned a release for this month or next.
thanks for the info! looking forward to playing some more orange islands, will I be able to play 2.1 beta gamesave on the 3.0 beta? if so, how?
Old September 5th, 2011, 08:38 AM
4768fitz

Sorry if my previous comment appeared to be 'spam' although I'm not sure how it came across that way but I am glad to see there's still interest in the completion of this masterpiece!
Old September 6th, 2011, 04:48 AM
torn00
Beginning Trainer

Do you already know when to beta 3.1? I know that in this mieściącu, but I want to know more. Sorry for my English I do not know the language well and I use the interpreter.
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:11 AM
revallsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by torn00 View Post
Do you already know when to beta 3.1? I know that in this mieściącu, but I want to know more. Sorry for my English I do not know the language well and I use the interpreter.
he/she means:

Is it already known when will be Beta 3.1 released? I know that it'll be out this month, ...

Old September 7th, 2011, 01:27 AM
ipatix
Music Hacking Freak

Nature: Relaxed
Nobdy knows this except the auther himself.

Did you also notice that it already said "coming soon" three months ago?
Old September 7th, 2011, 03:50 AM
4768fitz

not even the author knows exactly when it will come out hence the coming soon 3 months ago. Just be patient, I can't believe I have found myself checking back here every day for an update ahaha :D
Old September 9th, 2011, 03:04 PM
LuzTeTT
Beginning Trainer

My, my. There's a lot of kiddy drama in this thread.

In any case, the adults are waiting long and patiently for this ROM to progress. Keep up the good work, Link.
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:55 PM
linkandzelda
n00b desu ka?

Guys a quick update. Things are taking longer than planned, and I havent got much time to work on the hack right now.

...That is all.
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
That's really quick update xD
Do you need to do something more then just beta testing?

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old September 13th, 2011, 07:48 AM
torn00
Beginning Trainer

linkandzelda this hack looks so good that I can not wait for him. Sorry for my english.
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:25 AM
TBgamer4life

Quote:
Guys a quick update. Things are taking longer than planned, and I havent got much time to work on the hack right now.

...That is all.
no problem, we don't pay you so you're not forced to do anything (: thanks for the awesome game so far. If there's anything I can do to help, tell me (:
you've already made so many people happy with this, you don't need to rush things, i'm patient

-TB-
PS: thanks for keeping us updated
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revallsay View Post
he/she means:

Is it already known when will be Beta 3.1 released? I know that it'll be out this month, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipatix View Post
Nobdy knows this except the auther himself.

Did you also notice that it already said "coming soon" three months ago?
I think LaZ or Ziekku said it will be out in October
but Laz's new update said it'll take a bit longer which I guess will be november December time ...
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here