The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation

Notices

Metal & Color Generation Talke a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 7th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Terabyte

Nature: Jolly
There are many things I could list about First Generation annoyances, but the honorable mention goes to the guards that watch over the gate houses into Saffron City.. if they're so thirsty, then why couldn't they just get the drink themselves?
Old September 7th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Peitharchia
// and finite incantatem

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Peitharchia
Not being able to travel fast was kind of a problem for me, but that was easily fixed as soon as I got my hands on the bicycle. (:

Being poisoned was the thing that troubled me the most. Every time my Pokémon were poisoned, the screen used to become pixelated with some sort of a scary sound effect. This used to make me think that my batteries were running out of power, so I constantly had them replaced with new ones. I've wasted a lot of good batteries that way, haha.

Last edited by Peitharchia; September 7th, 2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old September 8th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Alloute
Cat Burglar

Nature: Relaxed
The fact that there was nothing to do after the League aside from completing the Pokedex was really annoying like what was GF thinking? They could've at least added some fun side quests. Also I think the fact that we couldn't rebattle trainers other than the Elite 4 and Champion made training tedious.
Old September 10th, 2013, 03:57 PM
lmcde22

Worst thing for me was the limited bag space. It was tiny!!! Everytime i wanted to use an item i had to withdraw it from the PC such a hassle.
Old September 10th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Rizardon

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Rizardon
Versing Brock in Yellow with Pikachu and Butterfree when I was a little kid.
Old September 11th, 2013, 01:58 PM
ShadowTrainer0151

The most frustrating thing for me was the Safari Zone. It was always a darn gamble whether or not you would catch any of those Pokémon! Rage.
Old September 16th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Negix

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Negix
The part that annoyed me the most was going through the Rock Tunnel without Flash to get to Lavender town.
Old September 29th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Ari Niko
Sincerity

Nature: Bold
Rock Tunnel was terrible! I hate using pointless HMs...
Old September 30th, 2013, 04:56 PM
«Chuckles»
KANEDA!

Nature: Brave
encounter rates and no faster way of transportation till you get a bicycle

PairMy Let's PlayTumblrAnime ListFriend Code
Old October 4th, 2013, 11:18 AM
_ANDY_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdition Haze View Post
Not being able to travel fast was kind of a problem for me, but that was easily fixed as soon as I got my hands on the bicycle. (:

Being poisoned was the thing that troubled me the most. Every time my Pokémon were poisoned, the screen used to become pixelated with some sort of a scary sound effect. This used to make me think that my batteries were running out of power, so I constantly had them replaced with new ones. I've wasted a lot of good batteries that way, haha.
Both of these!

I used to get so mad when the screen would do that flashy thing and I could never figure out why my pokemon kept dying.
Old October 5th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Ari Niko
Sincerity

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ANDY_ View Post
Both of these!

I used to get so mad when the screen would do that flashy thing and I could never figure out why my pokemon kept dying.
Dx

I thought my Emerald was broken and I was about to return it when one of my Pokémon got poisoned for the first time. I was so confused.
Old October 7th, 2013, 12:59 AM
seishiro-san
Inspirational

Nature: Modest
Caves D: It was an absolute nightmare with random encounters popping here and there! I also remember avoiding the cemetery, the music of that city itself sort of freaked me out back then for some funny reason.
= Medical Student Artist Fuszball =

Old October 7th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Larinelle
Purrfect Purple Paradise

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Larinelle
The fact that the yellow version I was playing was an old one (played it after Ruby and Sapphire) and was loving it, loving my Pokémon aaand all of a sudden the game broke. 3:
After that I simply couldn't be bothered to play any of the first gen games.

But from FR/LG I remember the victory road being a pain.

X: 4468-2403-1878 B2: 5072-6172-0244
LF: HA Nidoran, Plusle, Minun, Sandshrew
Little Trades
Old October 22nd, 2013, 01:09 AM
NotThatOneAgain

Arbok used wrap!

Lapras can't move!

Arbok's attack continues!

Lapras can't move!

Lapras can't move!

Lapras can't move!

Arbok used wrap!

Lapras can't move!

Lapras fainted!
Old October 22nd, 2013, 03:38 PM
AirSabin Bubblun
Inactive/personal problems

Nature: Relaxed
Oh yeah, the Wrap attack which could be deadly if the enemy pokemon has quicker speed than you.

Also, the bag issue. It was so small! TM's and Key items would fill the bag up quite easily. I'm pleased that the next gen had different areas of the bag to store your items in.

Looking for a scripter desperately for Pokemon Dark Nebula. If you
would like to help, drop me a PM or VM.
It's a Romhack btw.
~Twitter~ ~Youtube RH~ ~Youtube Music~
Old October 23rd, 2013, 10:23 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
the thing than annoyed me the most in R/B/Y was Pychic pokemon being broken and the move wrap as some other posts have said the reason why.
Old November 5th, 2013, 02:05 AM
~Tentacruel~

Pretty much the whole beginning. Until the 3rd gym it's just a very big, slow grindjob. After that everything flows very nicely though.

And obviously that dark cave your supposed to use Flash for. The worst HM of all time. I think most of the time I didn't even bother getting an HM slave for it and just forced my way through the darkness. Worst thing in any Pokémon game, Jesus Christ...
So glad there is no HM Flash in gen 6.

-- Matt.
EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot about the bag issue. Man that was a pain in the ass. Always had to get rid of something to get something else. Did anyone ever actually use the PC to store items?
Old November 5th, 2013, 02:12 AM
Batty

Choosing Charmander and refusing to get a bug Pokemon in the Veridian Forest. I would have trashed the Bug Pokemon after Brock, so why bother?
If I had Charmander Brock was a pain. Same with Pikachu in Pokemon Yellow.

I also hated having to hotkey for my bike. Having to bring up the item menu every time.. Ugh!

But really the ultimate annoyance was how there were basically no options if you wanted a very strong team. You'd get the legendaries and Dragonite and they were basically stronger than every other Pokemon.
Old November 5th, 2013, 04:35 AM
Lolman112

In yellow actually 2 things for me:
- The rock-type pokemon at higher lvl because my Pikachu only had electric attacks and only 1 average other attack which ran out of PP too fast.
- The fact that the lavender town tune never creeped me out and I even forgot it.

I want a Gameboy color!!!
Old November 6th, 2013, 05:16 AM
She_Delphox
Delphox used Mystical Fire!

Nature: Modest
Omg, yes the Wrap move irritated me so many times...! I once was Paralyzed AND confused too and some Ekans of a Lass (seriously, what Lass would train a "scary snake"? xD) used Wrap on my Charmeleon - "Charmeleon is Paralyzed", "Charmeleon hurts itself in its confusion!", and then the agonizing 8th attack streak of Wrap finished him of...

The lame sprites kinda bugged me the most though xD They were so PIXELATED! i remember training my Magikarp for an awesome Gyarados in my team, and when it finally evolved, it was just kind of an "improved" Magikarp sprite, the only thing that was different where the 3 horns Gyarados has attached to it... The back sprites of Magikarp and Gyarados looked alot like... just if you were still having a Magikarp
Also, alot of other Pokemon had very bad sprites too. Anyone remembers Koffing for example from R/B? I also got very irritated with the back sprite from Charmeleon, looks waaaay to chubby imo Blastoise was way too round and don't get even started on the sprite of Moltres... terrible xD (but still kinda fun too though)

Also have had alot of annoying memories about Rock Tunnel. That was always a thing I hated doing in every new Save File xD I knew I had to do the "Rock Tunnel" again later in the game always went through it without Flash, and I did it so many times in the dark that I could determine based upon the talking some trainers near the exit do when you battle them, if I was already almost out of that cave or not xD First time I ever played Blue it took me 2 hrs or so to get through it without Flash! 'cause I didn't know which way to go ofcourse... xD

Signature made by: © She_Delphox
Friend Safari: Electric | Pikachu / Electrode / Luxio | Friend Code: 1134-7011-4017
*Feel free to add my Friend Code, when you do please PM me with yours so we can help each other out!
Old November 6th, 2013, 12:11 PM
damientheomen3
Muffintop, Esq.

Nature: Quiet
Rock Tunnel. I hate tunnels and caves in pokemon games in general, which is part of why G/S/C are my favorite games.
Old November 6th, 2013, 02:12 PM
ConnorLuke

Mewtwo cave! enough said.. full stop.
Old November 9th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Sparkywalkthroughs
join the adventure

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Sparkywalkthroughs
Not being able to run! and i hated riding the bike, so i felt like i moved soo slow!
Old November 17th, 2013, 07:38 AM
STEELDRAGON*
Dragon of Steel

Nature: Quirky
There were a lot of things that made me want to throw my gameboy out the window.
1.Going through rock tunnel without flash, and having zubat appear every few seconds
2.Caves in general
3.getting in trainer battles with a almost fainted pokemon(basically, getting mugged)
4.digglet cave
5.having your rival pick the pokemon that your weak to.
6.finding pikachu in viridian forest

Last edited by STEELDRAGON*; November 17th, 2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: forgot to type down last reason
Old November 17th, 2013, 12:08 PM
M3gaArc

The one Weepinbell in Erika's gym that would spam bind :'(
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links