The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime > Episode Discussion

Notices

Episode Discussion Keeping up with the upcoming and currently airing Japanese and English episodes? This is where you can discuss each of the episodes respectively.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 12th, 2011, 06:35 PM
sims796
We're A-Comin', Princess!

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiiro View Post
The anime does not correlate levels the same way as the games. You can tell that's not a Level 5 Snivy as it already knows Leaf Tornado amongst other moves. Given that Ash's Pikachu was caught off guard and drained of its electrical energy, it gave the writers an excuse for Ash to lose against Trip. Not the best excuse, but it worked out better than if Ash were to be defeated by a beginning trainer and still have all of Pikachu's abilities.
True enough, but it really hurts the rules that the anime set for itself. This is a beginning Snivy. It's ridiculous that it has that much power. And even with Pikachu shorting out, it's unbearable to see him lose so pitifully. That kid made Ash look like a total rookie, and considering all that he's acomplished (Kanto, Orange Island, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, movies don't count), it gets hard to bear.

That said, I hate Trip already. We already had a jerkass rival for Ash. Two, already. And they all had a good reason. Gary grew up with Ash, they had a well esablished history. Paul, while a jerk, was an accomplished trainer in his own right, not a rookie. This kid? A literal greenhorn. No real reason to act like that. Ash was offered a position as a Frontier Brain. Now he's getting mopped up by someone 5 minutes after they get their very first pokemon.

Remember Casey? That little girl with a Chikorita? She got her arse kicked when they first battled. And Ash was acting like a smug jerk. Rightfully so, as he was leagues ahead of her - literally.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old February 12th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
For all we know Trip had a brother that is or was an experienced Trainer like Reggie was too Paul. He doesn't need too battle to absorb useful battle information from a brother/sister or someone like that. Maybe it is in Trip personality too be a jerk so he is not acting out of his norm. Ash did not use any of his pokemon that he battled in the Frontier with, outside of Pikachu. Pikachu got zapped by Zekrom not too long before its battle, which I think could be Teravolt. Either way it was clearly weaken by its encounter with Zekrom and was unable to perform Electric attacks at the time, when it tried an Electric attack it failed this opened a window for Snivy too attack it at least twice which it successfully did both times. If I remember right Ash uses Charizard on Casey which imo is stronger then Pikachu. Don't get me wrong I don't like Ash noobness recurring in ever or almost every Saga.

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old February 12th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacen View Post
And all of sudden, Giovanni has complete trust in Jessie, James, and Meowth! I think there should have been a lead-up to that, instead of jumping right into their mission. But I like the new TR. I'm so used to them being pathetic losers, so it's going to take some time to get used to the meaner TR.
You missed in the last episode of DP where it was suggested (by themselves) that they'd spun some fantastical yarn about how they'd single-handedly defeated Hunter J. and Team Galactic. So he thinks they're actually good at their job.
Old February 13th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Silver25
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amore View Post

You missed in the last episode of DP where it was suggested (by themselves) that they'd spun some fantastical yarn about how they'd single-handedly defeated Hunter J. and Team Galactic. So he thinks they're actually good at their job.
Well, that's not entirely true. Yes they did lie about single-handedly taking out Hunter J. and Team Galactic, but Giovanni doesn't have complete faith or anything remotely like that YET.

In "Enter Iris And Axew" Giovanni talks with the Trio in the cave via satellite. After being surprised hearing about the Legendary Pokemon Zekrom, Giovanni says "I have every confidence that you won't let me down." Once the call has ended, Giovanni's secretary/assistant asks "You really think those three will be successful?" to which he responds "Who knows? What I do know is that their presence will eventually force that secret organization in the Unova region to come out of the shadows."
Old February 13th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Polizard
Awesome Trainer

Nature: Bold
I have got to say i was getting really really worries that this region was going to be really bad i thought Voice acting was going to be bad i thought story was going to be bad but i really really enjoyed it i liked the story i thought it was awesome. My 2 biggest concern were that Ash was going to become a novice again which he did but for some reason it did not bother me that much. The 2nd concern was that Iris' voice acting was going to be terrible but i actually enjoyed it was actually quite good

Pokémon Friend Code: 3754-6716-8065
Not Sure of the Pokémon in my friend Safari.
Old February 13th, 2011, 02:56 AM
yossarian
Knight of Cydonia

Nature: Modest
First thoughts myself

• Firstly I mentioned this when the Japanese version came out but I'm quite annoyed they didn't spend the customary episode at home/Oak's Lab/Pallet Town after returning from a region. Usually he says goodbye to his current set of Pokemon as well as meeting the Pokemon he's caught in the past. I understand they are removing references from the earlier seasons but surely one episode devoted to the past wouldn't cause any damage.
  • I like Iris' new voice as well as her charachter. She's seems more short tempered rather compared to the extreme jovial and friendly nature of Dawn and May which could potentially result in more humour
  • I've just had my Road to Damasacus moment with this after watching the first two episodes and seeing Iris but the current voice actor for Ash (Sarah Natochenny - She's played him since Battle Frontier) is not suited to play this series. She's plays Ash in a far too "confident and dignified" manner - and has removed the tones of naiviety and stupidity which made him a perfect foil for Misty. And if as many suspect this season is meant to be similar to the 1st one, there could be problems and some of the humour in the dub of Ash doing something stupid/naive and getting yelled will be lost simply due to the VA.
  • Ash losing to a brand new trainer with no experience.... not surprised in the least. It's part of the inconsistiences and plot holes you have to accept if you've been watching the show from the begining
  • I like the new Team Rocket

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmvnX...eature=related
Old February 13th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Roughsponge
Phenominal.

Nature: Quirky
Right, here's my thoughts on the episodes:

-Firstly, did not expect Unova to be said that way.. I'd been thinking it was Une-Ove-Ah, but oh well my mistake.
-Okay, Ash got beat by a rookie, hey-ho it was to be expected.
-Ash, seriously throwing a pokeball at a pokemon without weakening it.. not impressed.
-I really liked Iris, I was worried she would just be another boring sidekick but she actually has a personality! And isn't over-the-top happy about everything (yes I'm looking at you Dawn)
-Team Rocket is actually bareable to watch again! Silly puns and rhyming are a thing of the past! :D
-Trip is okay I guess, like someone said he is like a mix of Paul & Gary which could be seen as good and bad. One thing I like is he sounds like Barry (obviously same voice actor..) and I loved Barry's voice.
-I liked how the second episode was more on the jokey side, at least Ash's failures give us something to laugh at.

Overall really liked the start to the Unova region! Looks like it's going to be a good saga
Old February 13th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Kendosis
Gym Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowakeorden View Post
Delia: "I wonder how much he will have grown the next time I see him?"

What would you expect? According to the narrator, Ash hasn't seemed to have grown since he started off in Kanto.
He seems to have went down in age lol.
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Jorah
What do I put here?
Community Supporter

What on earth does "the boonies" mean? o_O I thought the new Pokemon's dub voices were actually pretty good, TPCI put in a bit more effort, I thought. It wa sa very good dub~

- Hehehe, Oak's shirt XD
- Ted Lewis is Giovanni <3
- Yesss, no more rhyming from TR
- YAY! The dub has stopped with the ugliful blue and yellow font for their titles <3
- Oh yeah, forgot TR are annoying in the first ep
- Iris's dub voice is WAY better than her Japanese voice!
- I don't like Juniper's accent much
- Damn, Trip's voice even sounds like Paul's, except he doesn't have the malice in his voice. Trip actually had a girl's voice in Japanese, improvement for the dub
- Oh, wait! Is Trip voiced by Barry's VA? :O
- TEH-PIG
- Oshawott is so cute
- *looks it up* OMG, Trip is voiced by Barry
- Oh WOW, Trip sounds so sexy when he says "so trainers can enter the Unova league" XD
- Trip: Who's THAT Pokemon? Oh no, TPCI, don't start with these lame puns or whatever >____>
- I can hear the exceitment pouring out of Trip's voice, but he has to hold it in for his character D:

Ep 2

- WHY does the dub add in the random thing about Ash's mum asking about Ash's underwear? If their gender's were switched...
- Axe-yew
- Hehe, Ash's face when he says "that doesn't look like this"
- LOL Iris! "Is this cute face in there?" XD
- Jiggly cheecks o.O XD
- Ahhh, so TRs old Pokemon are left at HQ
- *hears wild Pokemon theme* Damn, I want this game already :( Stupid anime advertising for us
- Heh, Iris's insult about Pidove suiting him
- Woobat? Funny name
- A new balloon
- Ash must've had jumping lessons
- Woobat has a cool voice~
- Nurse Joy looks a lot prettier

All original BGM was kept, but I worry that it may be because these are the first few episodes.

Last edited by Jorah; February 13th, 2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Kendosis
Gym Leader

Another thing that bugged me was how noobie they made Ash seem T.T

オノノクス
Haxorus
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Regeneration
meow
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Regeneration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendosis View Post
Another thing that bugged me was how noobie they made Ash seem T.T
The writers need to do that to ensure that the show is a fresh start for the kids, the target audience. Ash will have to undergo all those cycles of defeats and then somehow beat his rival somewhere in the Pokemon League.
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Tcoppy
W
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiiro View Post
Tcoppy, with the first two episodes being discussed here and members giving their first impressions of the Black and White series for the dub as well as their review on the episodes, I merged your thread here.
Okay sorry I didn't know that there already was a debute thread already.

And what bugs me is when in hoenn they confirmed ash is twelve, and in the first episode they said he was ten.
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Yeah, but he never ages anyway, so what does it matter?

It annoyed me how n00by Ash was, but only really when he couldn't simply order Pikachu to take out all of those Pidove...when he got stampeded by Bidoof, that was fair enough - he didn't see them coming :D
Old February 13th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amore View Post
.when he got stampeded by Bidoof, that was fair enough - he didn't see them coming :D
You mean Patrat.

I do agree though, I'm not quite sure why Ash has gone so nooby again. He could of at least mentioned him getting to the sinnoh league semi final to trip or something.

Last edited by Mew~; February 13th, 2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old February 13th, 2011, 07:51 AM
TheAppleFreak
If it works, make it better.

Nature: Lax
Well, since I had very... spotty... internet access yesterday, and since I only saw the beginning of "In Zekrom's Shadow!", I'll basically sum up my thoughts (I've already watched the Japanese subs, so there'll probably be a lot of Jap-to-Eng comparisons).

- Horrible Prof. Oak voice. Ash's voice could have used more enthusiasm (like in the Japanese), but then again I've been dissatisfied with his voice acting ever since they made the switch from 4Kids to PUSA dubbing. Iris's and Prof. Juniper's voices were spot-on; probably the first good dub voice in a while. Team Rocket seemed... I dunno, too energetic. The Japanese voicing with the toned-down speech sounded better for them now.
- Animation quality is absolutely top-notch. Sadly, recording it in 480p on my DVR didn't cut it; compared to the high quality subs that I saw, it looked substandard on my TV. Recording in HD should fix this, though, so it isn't so much a complaint as it is user error.
- Who's That Pokémon? - this fixed my childhood and instantly repented for Ash and Oak's horrible voices.
- Godchu vs. Lv. 5 Tsutarja Snivy. *facepalm* Ash has gone through five regions now, has competed in each of the Conferences, and loses. Wat teh hellz Shogakugan.
- I still think Mijumaru is a better name than Oshawott.
- The discontinuity from the other regions pisses me off a bit. I mean, sure they mentioned the other reasons and gave a Continuity Nod, but Ash could have mentioned participating in all of the other leagues (to be fair, though, he does mention the Kanto League).

I've still yet to watch the episodes fully, and then I can criticize them, but for a launch, they did a really good job. 9/10.

blind engy modding isn't up yet
Old February 13th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorah View Post
What on earth does "the boonies" mean?
Basically saying he lived in the middle of no where.

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old February 13th, 2011, 09:04 AM
carmelhadinosaur
Togepi

Sooo exciting!!! Love new beginnings! I felt bewildered like Ash when he was in the car seeing the new wilds!

Damn. It's really exciting!
Old February 13th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Haowakeorden
Gym Leader

Nature: Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew~ View Post
I do agree though, I'm not quite sure why Ash has gone so nooby again. He could of at least mentioned him getting to the sinnoh league semi final to trip or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAppleFreak View Post
- Godchu vs. Lv. 5 Tsutarja Snivy. *facepalm* Ash has gone through five regions now, has competed in each of the Conferences, and loses. Wat teh hellz Shogakugan.
Think of it like this below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regeneration View Post

The writers need to do that to ensure that the show is a fresh start for the kids, the target audience. Ash will have to undergo all those cycles of defeats and then somehow beat his rival somewhere in the Pokemon League.

Pretend that everything just got "reset". Ash is ten again, and he's just lost all the major skill he's gained in the past series. It doesn't make sense from a storyline perspective, but it would be harder to do a "fresh start" otherwise.
Old February 13th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowakeorden View Post
Pretend that everything just got "reset". Ash is ten again, and he's just lost all the major skill he's gained in the past series. It doesn't make sense from a storyline perspective, but it would be harder to do a "fresh start" otherwise.
I doubt thats a good example, he's done it twice already - they might as well of changed the main character... (But thats never going to happen. xD) It also goes into, why he didn't leave pikachu, thats not a fresh start, it's supposed to be very powerful - but then it got defeated by a starter. xD The list goes on, and on... (but thats a whole different topic)

Old February 13th, 2011, 01:09 PM
sims796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshin5 View Post
For all we know Trip had a brother that is or was an experienced Trainer like Reggie was too Paul. He doesn't need too battle to absorb useful battle information from a brother/sister or someone like that. Maybe it is in Trip personality too be a jerk so he is not acting out of his norm. Ash did not use any of his pokemon that he battled in the Frontier with, outside of Pikachu. Pikachu got zapped by Zekrom not too long before its battle, which I think could be Teravolt. Either way it was clearly weaken by its encounter with Zekrom and was unable to perform Electric attacks at the time, when it tried an Electric attack it failed this opened a window for Snivy too attack it at least twice which it successfully did both times. If I remember right Ash uses Charizard on Casey which imo is stronger then Pikachu. Don't get me wrong I don't like Ash noobness recurring in ever or almost every Saga.
But that's the thing. When it comes to beating an expert, you do need hands on experience. This kid is a straight rookie. No matter how we spin it. There should be no reason that he trounces an expert trainr without even trying. Pikachu may have been weakend, yet that Snivy, which we've just seen is brand spankin' new, should not have been able to have such power. And if it is, then that kinda throws out the "new pokemon, new journey" thing going on. If a starter is that powerful coming out, then I guess every starter should be. It was a really cheesy way of making a new trainer an insta-expert.

Same with Casey. Even if he uses Charizard, he was still an expert, using an expert Pokemon. He had complete control, and made it seem realistic, within the rules of the show. The show doesn't follow it's own rules, making everything seem like a deus ex machina.

As for him being a jerk, that's my prob. Even if he is normally like that, it's annoying. We gotta go through the "jerky new smug trainer who knows everything about pokemon" again? It was excusable with Paul, who was already an expert, but hard to swallow with this new kid.

I dno't wanna be too argue-y with this though, it just really annoys me. You know what I mean.

Other than this poorly handled scene, the episode was pretty decent.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old February 13th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Silver25
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims796 View Post
But that's the thing. When it comes to beating an expert, you do need hands on experience. This kid is a straight rookie. No matter how we spin it. There should be no reason that he trounces an expert trainr without even trying. Pikachu may have been weakend, yet that Snivy, which we've just seen is brand spankin' new, should not have been able to have such power. And if it is, then that kinda throws out the "new pokemon, new journey" thing going on. If a starter is that powerful coming out, then I guess every starter should be. It was a really cheesy way of making a new trainer an insta-expert.

Same with Casey. Even if he uses Charizard, he was still an expert, using an expert Pokemon. He had complete control, and made it seem realistic, within the rules of the show. The show doesn't follow it's own rules, making everything seem like a deus ex machina.

As for him being a jerk, that's my prob. Even if he is normally like that, it's annoying. We gotta go through the "jerky new smug trainer who knows everything about pokemon" again? It was excusable with Paul, who was already an expert, but hard to swallow with this new kid.

I dno't wanna be too argue-y with this though, it just really annoys me. You know what I mean.

Other than this poorly handled scene, the episode was pretty decent.
I agree, but the fact of the matter is that it is still early on in the series. We don't know enough about Trip to make assumptions as to how or why he beat Ash. Yes, Pikachu was weakened and that is a HUGE factor but we don't know everything yet. With Paul, we didn't know he had a brother until he met him halfway through Sinnoh (he may have been quickly mentioned before that).

I will say I wish Black and White's beginning was handled more like Advance. That was one of the best series beginnings IMO simply because it worked perfectly: Ash kept his experience, met a new trainer and showed them the ropes, and he began to only use pokemon from that region aside from Pikachu. Great region, ah Hoenn...(except I hated Teams Aqua and Magama :D)

Last edited by Silver25; February 13th, 2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old February 13th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Anna
"it has no brakes"
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
As I watch In The Shadow Of Zekrom...
Spoiler:

> Ash, why do you talk so slowly? Also... "psyched"? Really?
> Professor Oak, why do you sound so old? Ash hasn't aged yet, so you shouldn't either.
> WTF is this pronunciation crap.
> WTF is this opening crap.
> Iris's voice is better than I though.
> Uhg Axew. Bad name amazingly sounds kind of cute.
> "My Ash!" ...just sounded really odd. And then, "Ash, dear!" wtf Delia are you his grandma or something?
> Juniper sounds way to peppy.
> AHHH Who's That Pokémon? <3 <3 Mamepato Pidove~
> Trip ahahahahahaha
> OMG his voice ahahahahahaha
> Ash, don't make assumptions.
> lol Trip is all like "who the eff are you?"
> Juniper: "Everybody be happy! Yay!"
> Ash: "That's a fire type!" ...because Juniper saying it loudly and clearly wasn't enough?
> ...That's a manly Snivy.
> Ash: "What? Cameras exist?"
> Pokédex has personality.
> "That's basic." o_O
> "Is it... strong?" "You wanna see?" "Sure I do."
> Ash: "OMG Snivy can dodge?!"
> Ash: "Oh-ver-lohd?"
> "...dark cloud of confusion..." Awesome phrase.

After seeing this, I am sure that Iris's hair has been getting bigger every episode.
And I shall be watching Enter Iris and Axew! later.

{ Pairs + Family }
{ Clubs + Theme }

Connection
Old February 13th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Kendosis
Gym Leader

Pokemon's logic, astonishes me at times.

オノノクス
Haxorus
Old February 13th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Silver25
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendosis View Post
Pokemon's logic, astonishes me at times.
What logic? Since when does Pokemon use logic?:D
Old February 13th, 2011, 11:51 PM
sims796

Bah, that whole scene was handled clumsily, even by poke standards. It isn't so much as Trip that pisses me off (he does, but more on that later), nor that Pika was sick, and wasn't fighting at his full (which didn't change the fact that it was Snivy's first battle, but it's something). It was Snivy's god power. This is a beginning Pokemon, brand spanking new, and literally in it's first battle. Past episodes constantly expressed how new pokemon aren't very powerful starting out. This is their own logic and rules that the show set up. But no, since this is Ash's new rival, he's all sorts of powerful. I bet Ash will strive to get that new trainer's acceptance as a fellow trainer.

But you are right, it's too early to make snap judgements. But I'll say that what I've seen so far, I'm not liking it. Seems like he's a douche for the sole sake of being a douche, and I've seen that the past few seasons.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here