Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Old February 18th, 2011 (05:39 AM).
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Soooooo...is there any musical instruments you guys played before? Is there any you are playing currently? Is there any you would like to play?

I play the used to play the recorder at grade 5; and entered the band there. :3 I'm currently playing the saxophone, because I have a love for jazz. <3 What I would like to play is the base guitar; because right now, I'm trying to see if I could learn that. :3

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old February 18th, 2011 (06:03 AM).
Absola
~ Let me fly away

Nature: Gentle
I used to play the recorder too, but I then switched to the piano.

Also, I want to learn to play the guitar because I have one but can't play on it.. :)

"Nani o mite nani o kangaeru ka de anata no egao ga kimaru."
Old February 18th, 2011 (06:12 AM).
Eliminator Jr.
Gym Leader

Nature: Calm
I play guitar, bass guitar, drums and the piano.

Piano I started when I was five and stopped when I was twelve, so I'm not as good as I was but I can still learn music and play it well enough providing it's not incredibly hard.

I started teaching myself guitar when I was twelve, and about a month ago I started getting lessons, mainly because over the past six years I've been happy with my skill level (like when I'm in a band I can play what needs to be played) but now I want to start playing jazz guitar at wineries to make some extra money and I don't consider myself that good to do it yet.

Bass guitar was pretty easy to pick up after playing the guitar, because it's pretty much just the top four strings of the guitar except thicker. Again, self taught, but I don't know how to do slap bass or anything, mainly because I think the style's a bit obnoxious (I actually prefer playing bass in bands to guitar because it's in the background and subtle). To give an idea of where I'm at, the most complex thing I've played is Hysteria by Muse, so I'm definitely not amazing at bass but I can play the sort of bass lines that are in most genres.

Drum kit I started just before I turned thirteen after inheriting an old drum kit that used to belong to my uncle. I'm self taught and out of all the instruments I'm probably most confident on drums, although again there are many better players. I usually play unaware of how I'm playing if that makes sense - like a skilled drummer would know exactly which hand would be hitting which drum whenever they do a beat or a fill, whereas I just play whatever sounds good.
Old February 18th, 2011 (06:18 AM).
Alternative
For my next trick...
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote originally posted by Miss Doronjo:
Soooooo...is there any musical instruments you guys played before? Is there any you are playing currently? Is there any you would like to play?

I play the used to play the recorder at grade 5; and entered the band there. :3 I'm currently playing the saxophone, because I have a love for jazz. <3 What I would like to play is the base guitar; because right now, I'm trying to see if I could learn that. :3
Are you trying to copy me fool?
Anyway, in the past when I was in grade 5, I played the guitar, for about 2 years in grade 8-10 I played the Saxophone with some keyboard on the side, and I tried out Bass Guitar for a while, which I loved, but I wasn't really into learning with a teacher, so I quit that.

I've had goes at playing Drums, Piano, Radio and Piano-Accordian before as well. :D
Old February 18th, 2011 (06:51 AM).
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Grade 5 in theory & playing on Piano.
Self taught guitar and drums.

And I can sing! XD
Old February 18th, 2011 (06:58 AM).
shadowmoon
The Fresh Snow Trainer

i only play one...the violin...

started in 4th grade.

you guys are so lucky, learning all those different instruments
Old February 18th, 2011 (07:03 AM).
JeXsus™
I don't need an avatar!

I can play guitar and every now and again I go out by the train station (Because I live in New York ) And just play to the people who have a rough morning. And I tend to make a little money on the side.

|| Jexsus™ ||
Old February 18th, 2011 (07:34 AM).
ShinyMeowth
Gone forever

Nature: Calm
I played the guitar for 7 years, but I got bored of it and stopped. I recently started playing the piano, and got bored this time too. But instead of giving up, I thought of simply jacking up the difficulty, by playing harder and harder pieces. It worked out, and I'm now working on the 3rd movement of Beethoven's moonlight sonata, after just 5 months from my first lesson. I also thought that perhaps that was what caused me to give up on the guitar, so I gave it another chance, this time going for a transcription of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor. I simply loved it, and so I am now working on both pieces, on both instruments.
Old February 18th, 2011 (11:42 AM).
Saryka
Donator Tier 3

I've been playing the piano since I was six and it's pretty much the only instrument I'm good at. I bought this guitar when I was ten, tried learning it on numerous occasions to no avail, and gave up multiple times. XD I just can't grasp it, I guess. Two Christmases ago, I got a violin from my parents because I've always wanted to play, and I haven't played it in a loooong time, but I'm grasping it a bit better than guitar. I'd love to get some violin lessons one day once I'm done with piano.
Old February 18th, 2011 (11:45 AM).
Sora
The Idealist Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
When I was in Middle/High School, I was in Band (normal concert band for Middle School. Both Concert and Marching Band for High School). During those seven years, I played the Clarinet. I never became a really great player, but some of my fondest memories and best friends came from playing that darned instrument in the band. Other than that, I can only play simple songs on the piano (like 'Mary has a Little Lamb', 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' and so on and so forth).
Old February 18th, 2011 (01:49 PM).
Cassino

Nature: Serious
I've tried and fail to see what's fun about music beyond listening.
I keep a harmonica I happened across, anyway; very simple thing.
Old February 18th, 2011 (03:21 PM).
Katalyst
Vacuum

I'm currently trying to learn how to play guitar by myself, but I'm failing so far.

© i Katalyst
Old February 18th, 2011 (03:29 PM).
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

I can play guitar...and saxophone...and the main piano riff from a certain song by Muse...

I have no grades in guitar, because I got messed around by my teachers, and when I got the chance to doing grades, the teacher wanted to change my style...which I refused to do. I do, however, have a Grade 2 in Saxophone. But I'm way above that level, I just never got round to doing more grades...

I want to learn piano though. Mainly because it's so versatile, like a non-portable guitar xD
Old February 18th, 2011 (03:47 PM).
Cooker
As free as my hair

Nature: Sassy
In middle school I played the trumpet. In 6th grade I was just as crappy as everyone else. 7th grade I was average, I think I was always like 6th chair out of 10. Then in 8th grade I actually was pretty decent and was 4th chair all year long. Then came high school, and I started to completely fake playing the trumpet because I was lazy. I wish I would've kept playing it =P

||I’m a soldier to my own emptiness||
||I am a winner||
Old February 18th, 2011 (03:52 PM).
zappyspiker
Sakka Yarouze
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I've played Piano since I was 5 and I'm still playing it now! I played Classical Music till I was 10 and Rock School Music till about now, Just changing to more modern now.
I started teaching myself guitar less than a year ago and I really enjoyed it - I want a new guitar soon.
I played Harmonica and Glockenspiel as well for 2-3 years XD
Old February 18th, 2011 (04:06 PM).
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I currently play the piano. I used to take drum lessons for some time while I was in the US.

Old February 18th, 2011 (06:51 PM).
Backup
Maybe Next Time

Nature: Modest
I've been playing trumpet for 7 years now. :D Awesome instrument.

I also taught myself how to play clarinet and the ocarina.

I've always wanted to play the piano ever since I was little. It's just so beautiful and you can play so much on it.

I've also wanted to be able to play saxophone after joining the jazz band. Though trumpet parts are fun, the saxophone parts always seem so epic and bold.

And so today I was taking an algebra quiz in the commons area in my school and this kid was playing his violin the whooooole time (an hour) and playing epic songs from Pirates of the Caribbean and other coolieo songs.

I had never realized how beautiful it sounds and I had such a hard time concentrating on my quiz. I could have just put my head down and listened to that kid play.

I now have a burning desire to play the violin now. XD; I just love being able to play instruments.
Old February 18th, 2011 (08:28 PM).
Drekin
We all live in a...

Nature: Lax
I've been playing Alto/Tenor Saxophone for 8 years (6 years in school band) and it is my best instrument for sure. When I play it's usually songs from past band concerts or video game music. (memorized a few Super Mario themes :D )

I've had a crappy keyboard for a few years and a really good one for 5-6 years. I'm self-taught and I only know a few songs (mostly video game songs lol)

I also have a harmonica that I can play a few songs on. I've had it for a few months.

I really want to learn to play the guitar or a violin but I don't think I'll be able to get one for a long time.
Old February 18th, 2011 (10:31 PM).
Rai
Misao <3

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Rai
I played the Violin 3rd grade through my senior of high school. I stopped now that I'm at college, I don't really have time anymore.
Old February 18th, 2011 (10:39 PM).
Kyoko
some things are that simple

Nature: Quiet
I can play a song on the guitar and piano :( gosh I wish I was more musically inclined than I am, I have such big hands too, everyone says they're meant to play piano!

I did however play the recorder in 4th grade, then from 5th-8th grade I played the oboe which was fun. I kinda miss it sometimes~

one day soon I'd like to pick up on the piano again and the harmonica since it's one of my favorite instruments :)
Old February 18th, 2011 (11:36 PM).
GirlieNinjaRose
作家

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GirlieNinjaRose
I know how to play the organ, piano, flute, guitar, and violin. It's fun! I'd like to know how to play drums, it seems cool.
Old February 21st, 2011 (04:21 PM).
비스트
Beginning Trainer

I play the violin and the piano ;A; 7 painful years out of my 13 years OTL
I really want to learn the guitar though

drawn by me
비스트-is a Kpop group that debuted in 2009. They are trained in CUBE.
They are BEAST <3

Old February 21st, 2011 (09:35 PM).
Haowakeorden
Gym Leader

Nature: Hardy
For a short time (maybe two or three years) I played the recorder in elementary school.

Then in Grade 6 I learned trumpet for my school band. I stayed in the elementary and high school band until I graduated, and I still try to find time to play once in a while.
Old February 21st, 2011 (09:46 PM).
Axeliira
<< p u l s e s >>

Nature: Brave
Played the recorder in 4th grade. I was forced to do it. >_<

8th grade, I joined Band Class, and played the flute. I loved the flute, it was my best friend back then. I was going to sign up for Concert Band in high school, but the Band instructor denied me because I needed more practice. I wished I went back to it, though. :/

Old February 22nd, 2011 (07:48 PM).
Dartht33bagger
Only plays Gen I and II

I did recorder in third grade, then clarinet for 5th grade and some of 6th. Then I switched to tenor saxophone a few months into 6th and then played that from 6th-8th grade.

I was going to keep doing it into high school until I got there the first day and found out the band teacher at my high school was an old hard ass that was super into music. I mainly did music because it was fun and I didn't have to put a lot of effort into it since my middle school band teacher was awesome and we still won first in competitions. Never played an instrument after that first day, dropped the class the next day and sold the sax.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links