The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 5th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Charicific
PkMn Trainer

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymnotide View Post
What was the streak number you were on? Just for the record?
Aaa....Currently, I am at 70 Win Streaks and paused..
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Bandito911
Beginning Trainer

how do you increase the occupant in the white forest? because at the moment i dont have any grass or water or anything...

also, ive been reading a bit about EV training (ive never done this before but it seems like the way forward). i think i understand it on the whole, however how do you decide which stat(s) is the best to train? also, as you can only get 510 altogether all the things ive read say to get 252 in 2 stats and just neglect the others...am i right in thinking that?

Last edited by Bandito911; August 6th, 2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito911 View Post
how do you increase the occupant in the white forest? because at the moment i dont have any grass or water or anything...

also, ive been reading a bit about EV training (ive never done this before but it seems like the way forward). i think i understand it on the whole, however how do you decide which stat(s) is the best to train? also, as you can only get 510 altogether all the things ive read say to get 252 in 2 stats and just neglect the others...am i right in thinking that?
You need to use Entralink with someone near you who has Black and visit their Black City, talk to people, and some will come back with you. That's the only way to do it.

Generally, I look at the EV recommendations on Smogon, because I'm not great at figuring it out myself and even when I have an idea I don't want to mess it up, lol. However, usually at least one of the stats maxed is its best stat, while the other one can be another great stat you'd like to raise or a lower stat that you'd like to make not such a huge weakness. But I would still look up what EVs are best for individual Pokemon. And yeah, you have it right. With a few exceptions, builds are 252 in two stats, and then 4 of the remaining 6 points in a third stat.

Last edited by Oryx; August 6th, 2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Bandito911
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post

You need to use Entralink with someone near you who has Black and visit their Black City, talk to people, and some will come back with you. That's the only way to do it.
So if i dont know anyone with black then i simply cant get the benefits of the white forest?
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Gymnotide
8377 | Scorpaeniform

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charicific View Post
Aaa....Currently, I am at 70 Win Streaks and paused..
jtlyk, at streaks zero to forty-nine, all foe IVs are set at 0. Then when they hit forty-nine and up, they jump to 31 in each stat (or perfect). That's probably why it gave you trouble--since its IVs AND EVs were perfect, while yours are more likely not (because perfect Pokemon are extremely hard to come by).

"I want to tear myself from this place, from this reality, rise up like a cloud and float away, melt into this humid summer night and dissolve somewhere far, over the hills. But I am here, my legs blocks of concrete, my lungs empty of air, my throat burning. There will be no floating away."

Khaled Hosseini

→ Refresh for a different picture
→ White FC: Haruka 0347 0171 1756

whoever disabled my signature:
my signature is not even close to 300px tall.
i dont understand why it was disabled.
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Neltar

When using vitamins on a Pokemon to increase EVs, when it says "Doesn't affect <Pokemon>" does this mean that particular stat is maxed out in EVs of that stat, or does it stop working at a lower amount to stop you from only using vitamins?
Old August 6th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Quote:
So if i dont know anyone with black then i simply cant get the benefits of the white forest?
Nope, you can't unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neltar
When using vitamins on a Pokemon to increase EVs, when it says "Doesn't affect <Pokemon>" does this mean that particular stat is maxed out in EVs of that stat, or does it stop working at a lower amount to stop you from only using vitamins?
After the Pokemon has 100 EVs in one stat, vitamins no longer work, as well as if it's overall maxed out on its EVs. So it could be either of those situations.
Old August 6th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Bandito911
Beginning Trainer

Ive looked around at some other places to try and get an answer but none of them really have helped sufficiently.
what is the difference between attack and special attack (and def, SpD)? i do kind of know but i dont know where the line is drawn? like, i thought fire type moves would be special attack but then darumaka, a fire type pokemon, has high attack but very low special attack.....
Old August 6th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Molts
Novice Breeder

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Ive looked around at some other places to try and get an answer but none of them really have helped sufficiently.
what is the difference between attack and special attack (and def, SpD)? i do kind of know but i dont know where the line is drawn? like, i thought fire type moves would be special attack but then darumaka, a fire type pokemon, has high attack but very low special attack.....

In Gen 4 and 5 (diamond, pearl, platinum, heartgold, soulsilver, black and white) for every attack, there's a symbol on the top right that tells you if the attack uses SpA or regular Attack. The red and orange symbol is for attack power, and the grey circle symbol is special attack. So flame wheel, and fire punch are "physcial" fire attacks, and fire blast and flamethrower are "special" fire attacks.

In gen 1, 2, and 3 all fire attacks are special attack.
Old August 6th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Gymnotide
8377 | Scorpaeniform

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molts View Post
In Gen 4 and 5 (diamond, pearl, platinum, heartgold, soulsilver, black and white) for every attack, there's a symbol on the top right that tells you if the attack uses SpA or regular Attack. The red and orange symbol is for attack power, and the grey circle symbol is special attack. So flame wheel, and fire punch are "physcial" fire attacks, and fire blast and flamethrower are "special" fire attacks.

In gen 1, 2, and 3 all fire attacks are special attack.
The Special symbol is purplish; not light grey like the Status moves (but none of those moves are attack moves anyway).

"I want to tear myself from this place, from this reality, rise up like a cloud and float away, melt into this humid summer night and dissolve somewhere far, over the hills. But I am here, my legs blocks of concrete, my lungs empty of air, my throat burning. There will be no floating away."

Khaled Hosseini

→ Refresh for a different picture
→ White FC: Haruka 0347 0171 1756

whoever disabled my signature:
my signature is not even close to 300px tall.
i dont understand why it was disabled.
Old August 6th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Jeikobu
God's beloved child

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Jeikobu Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeikobu
This has never happened to me before I think. I went on to the Dream World earlier today, and finished the session like I always do: I picked my Pokemon at the Dream Tree, and I closed my session by clicking the power button at the upper right of the screen and choosing the first option it gives, allowing me to awaken my Pokemon and get in my game what I acquired in the Dream World that day. However, tonight I went to the Game Sync in my game to awaken me Pokemon, and received a message saying how I haven't yet received all of the "dream shards" (or "pieces" I assume) from my previous time in the Dream World, and if I awaken my Pokemon now, I'll lose that stuff.

What's this about? How is it fixed?
"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." - Romans 1:20

Learn the Japanese names for Pokemon!

Please visit my Photobucket! http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v162/Jeikobu_Roy/
Old August 6th, 2011, 11:29 PM
PokéSwimmer
Keeping time time time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeikobu View Post
This has never happened to me before I think. I went on to the Dream World earlier today, and finished the session like I always do: I picked my Pokemon at the Dream Tree, and I closed my session by clicking the power button at the upper right of the screen and choosing the first option it gives, allowing me to awaken my Pokemon and get in my game what I acquired in the Dream World that day. However, tonight I went to the Game Sync in my game to awaken me Pokemon, and received a message saying how I haven't yet received all of the "dream shards" (or "pieces" I assume) from my previous time in the Dream World, and if I awaken my Pokemon now, I'll lose that stuff.

What's this about? How is it fixed?
That's not a problem at all. You transfered items from the dream world along with your Pokémon, correct? All you have to do is pick up your items. Just go to the Entralink (Hi-Link) and talk to the kid in front of the forest (the game does tell you this jsyk).

Old August 7th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Neltar

So, I decided I'd like to play some online battles. Random battles, trading and all of that.

I have a DS and I am about to complete the game (as in beat Ghetsis). I have a router with wifi and a functional DS etc etc well within reach of the router.

Is this all I need to be able to play? And is there anything I should know before I start battling? Thanks.
Old August 8th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Bandito911
Beginning Trainer

what does it mean when it says "there is a pokemon outbreak on route X"?

also, when you want to EV train your pokemon in just 2 stats do you avoid fighting other pokemon which wont benefit that stat? because if not i dont see how you can get to 252 in 2 stats...
Old August 8th, 2011, 02:46 AM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neltar View Post
So, I decided I'd like to play some online battles. Random battles, trading and all of that.

I have a DS and I am about to complete the game (as in beat Ghetsis). I have a router with wifi and a functional DS etc etc well within reach of the router.

Is this all I need to be able to play? And is there anything I should know before I start battling? Thanks.
As long as your internet security is compatible with your DS, you're good. WPA security is only usable with DSis and above.

Quote:
what does it mean when it says "there is a pokemon outbreak on route X"?

also, when you want to EV train your pokemon in just 2 stats do you avoid fighting other pokemon which wont benefit that stat? because if not i dont see how you can get to 252 in 2 stats...
That's right. Most of them you can find an area where most of the Pokemon benefit it (Celestial Tower for Sp. Atk., Rte 1 water for Speed), but there is one where at most 1/2 the Pokemon there are beneficial, I believe it's Defense but I could be wrong.
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Bandito911
Beginning Trainer

what about the pokemon outbreak bit? i see it on every bulletin board...
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
what about the pokemon outbreak bit? i see it on every bulletin board...
It means a Pokemon is swarming, in other words, there's a higher chance of finding a rarer or normally not exclusive Pokemon on that route it mentions. You can read more information here.
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:53 AM
Tsundera

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tsundera Send a message via Skype™ to Tsundera
This is a bit confusing but I'll try my best to delineate my question.

In Pokémon Black & White, right before you battle with N, you capture Zekrom or Reshiram depending on what version you're using right? Then it basically forces you to switch out a member of your party for the new legendary. My question is that if you use the legendary in battle against N and Ghetsis, will you get EVs from their Pokémon?

When I first caught Reshiram, it automatically placed him in the first slot of my party as I only had 5 Pokémon at the time. I was worried he would get EVs that I didn't want if I used him in battle against N & Ghetsis, so I switched him out for another Pokémon and played on from there, except Reshiram still got some EXP for having been in the fight at the start of the battle after the first opposing Pokémon was killed. Would Reshiram get EVs from that Pokémon even though it wasn't the one who killed it?

If so, it's basically impossible to keep your tao legendary untouched 8(

Soul Silver - 0604 - 5564 - 8179
Black
0518 - 6624 - 3989
Black 2 ★ 2709 - 9551 - 2281

Old August 8th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsundera View Post
This is a bit confusing but I'll try my best to delineate my question.

In Pokémon Black & White, right before you battle with N, you capture Zekrom or Reshiram depending on what version you're using right? Then it basically forces you to switch out a member of your party for the new legendary. My question is that if you use the legendary in battle against N and Ghetsis, will you get EVs from their Pokémon?

When I first caught Reshiram, it automatically placed him in the first slot of my party as I only had 5 Pokémon at the time. I was worried he would get EVs that I didn't want if I used him in battle against N & Ghetsis, so I switched him out for another Pokémon and played on from there, except Reshiram still got some EXP for having been in the fight at the start of the battle after the first opposing Pokémon was killed. Would Reshiram get EVs from that Pokémon even though it wasn't the one who killed it?

If so, it's basically impossible to keep your tao legendary untouched 8(
It asks you if you'd like to add the legendary to your party, and you don't have to, so it is possible to have it without EVs. But you did get EVs from that one Pokemon, sorry :(
Old August 8th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Aeonz361
Army of 1

What does it mean to have flawless IV's?

Old August 8th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeonz361 View Post
What does it mean to have flawless IV's?
It means that basically in each IV (which extends from 0 - 31) that your stats are 31 and therefore perfect, so if you were to ev train that Pokemon with a helpful nature, their stats would reach the maximum possible number, so for example if you ev trained a Herdier in attack w/Adamant or something with flawless IVs, it would have the maximum possible attack overall while every other stat has the maximum possible for non Ev'd stats if that makes sense.

You can also read more here.
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Aeonz361
Army of 1

I used the Metalkid IV calculator, but I have no idea how to read that thing. I put in the information and saw a bunch of numbers pop up at the bottom, which of course mean nothing to me. Any help Forever?

Old August 8th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Neltar

I was just wondering if I needed Level 100 Pokemon in order to battle online or if the game converted your Pokemon and their stats to the highest level when battling.

Thanks.
Old August 8th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neltar View Post
I was just wondering if I needed Level 100 Pokemon in order to battle online or if the game converted your Pokemon and their stats to the highest level when battling.

Thanks.
Nope. Your Pokemon won't get put to Level 100. If you go into battle with say a level 70 Pokemon, it will stay at level 70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeonz361 View Post
I used the Metalkid IV calculator, but I have no idea how to read that thing. I put in the information and saw a bunch of numbers pop up at the bottom, which of course mean nothing to me. Any help Forever?
Those numbers are the Iv's your Pokemon can have. As you raise the Pokemon's level the numbers will start to round down to 1 number. That will be the Iv. The Metalkid calculator tells you what level to raise it to, to get the best and accurate results. :)
Old August 8th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Ramos123
Beginning Trainer

Does anybody out there know anything of the hack checks at VGC? Do you think it would come up as hacked if I checked my excadrill's EV's using an AR code after I maxed them out the right legit way?
The problem is I just can't trust myself to do a perfect job with counting the EV's and I would really like the confirmation lmao
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links