Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: New Menu Style or Old Menu Style (see post #7)
Old Menu Style 0 0%
New Menu Style 21 100.00%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 12th, 2016 (10:25 PM). Edited 2 Days Ago by mej71.
Playhouse Pokemon
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed

POKEMON DAY CARE
for iPhone

Introduction:
Hello all! This is a recent project I'm hoping to do just for fun, as well as to hone my mobile app making skills. I learnt about app making in my university course, so I'm hoping making something like this will extend and apply knowledge I already have!

It is essentially a pedometer game, but for the iPhone! To help you motivate yourself to get your daily 10,000 steps, you must walk around to hatch and level your Pokemon! Your steps are translated into experience, and money, so the more you move, the more you succeed!

How is it being made:
This is being made using Xcode in the swift programming language (or Objective-C maybe), for the iPhone 6.

Isn't it illegal to put this on the App Store/distribute?
Well, yes and no. This is not my Intellectual Property so this would probably be taken down from the App Store. But it is not going on the App Store and I am not going to profit from this. This really isn't mean for distribution (mainly just for me to strengthen my coding in an unfamiliar language), but I could release it to a limited number of devices without going through the app store (which I do not intend to use) if it gets that far and people are so inclined. I will also be more than happy to share the source code and all :) !

BACKSTORY

This game takes place in the Pokemon Manga, and you are Gold! Professor Elm is undertaking more research regarding Pokemon and their bond between their trainers, and needs help. He is testing passive ways of levelling and nurturing Pokemon that does not require battling. Since Professor Oak labels you as a master hatcher, you agree to assist Elm in hatching and caring for Pokemon by simply walking with them. Professor Elm gives you a new Pokedex with a pedometer that converts your steps into experience for Pokemon.

He insists walking in different areas so he can research how Pokemon react to environmental changes, and as you do you find even more Pokemon eggs to hatch and raise!

Your research will not only help Professor Elm understand more about the importance of Pokemon bonding without battles, but also more about baby Pokemon and incredibly rare evidence of seldom seen Pokemon!

FEATURES

Features (Must Have)
  • Integration with Apple Health
  • 251 Pokemon to hatch and evolve
  • Build teams of famous Pokemon trainers for special prizes!
  • Achievements and Statistics!
Features (Want to have)
  • Integration with Fitbit API
Spoiler:
Minimum Functionality Requirements:
  • Apple Heath Integration
  • Egg finding and hatching
  • Pokemon levelling and evolving
  • Field and PC working
  • PokeMart working
Additional Functionality Requirements:
  • Statistics working
  • Shiny Pokemon Available
  • Leaderboard
  • Teams
  • Achievements
  • Different egg sprites for Pokemon
  • Fitbit API integration
  • Battles

POKEDEX

All 251 Pokemon from GSC will be available in game!
If the rest of the Pokemon can get nice GSC style sprites I will work on parsing them in as well!

POKEMART

Steps you take are also converted into points for you to spend! For now, points only give you evolutionary items, but there may be more things to buy in the future!

TEAMS

Complete teams of trainers and they'll assist you on with gathering steps and money!
Walking with trainers can allow for:
  • Extra experience for upon synching
  • Extra money upon synching
  • ...and more!

SCREEN SHOTS

As of May 2016

Spoiler:

As of September 2016

Spoiler:

CREDITS
  • Nintendo and Gamefreak - all sprites and colour schemes have been taken from Pokemon HGSS and Pokemon B2W2
  • desbrina - she helped out with apple's health kit manager
  • bulbapedia - sprites
PROGRESS

Mock-ups - 100%
Asset Collection/Creation - 100%
Coding - 100%
Testing/Debugging - 0%

WANT TO HELP?

Want to help with the creation of this game? Easy! Check out this post!
Well, for now it's a matter of brainstorming and discussion so we can anticipate roadblocks before we hit them! Right now I'm checking out how to store all this data and etc, but if that's boring you can always contribute to:
  • Achievements - what achievements would you like to see in the game? They are quantitative and come in three stages (see mock-ups for details), as well as being represented by ribbons! Feel free to suggest an achievement and its corresponding ribbon!
  • Statistics - what statistics do you want to see (see mock-up for details)? I always like looking at these, so try to think of one as well as how to keep track of it within the system
  • Other Features - what else would you like to see in this? Please comment and suggest :)
  • Other Ideas - anything else? Please comment and suggest :)
Once it gets more tangible I will happily upload project files and whatnot so other people can help code and create if they want to :) Lord knows I'm just a beginner!

Thanks for taking the time to check this out, please comment below your thoughts :) !

Relevant Advertising!

Old April 14th, 2016 (5:27 PM).

This looks like a great idea! It feels like Neko Atsume but for Pokemon and better haha
I love the mockups you have so far, definitely seems like you put a lot of effort into this

The team idea is great - definitely gives a goal for the user: just a question, though - would we get random eggs, or do we get to choose, or do we put Pokemon in the daycare?

Some things I'd like to see:
-Pokemon individuality (so maybe I can get the same Pokemon twice, but they'll have different nicknames, personalities, food preferences, etc) - this would be just a couple of extra variables for the Pokemon, so I don't think it'd be too hard
-different environments for the field-Pokemon to move around in
-maybe some toys / objects to interact with on the field (the interaction would be a lot of work) that you can earn by walking around

Old April 14th, 2016 (5:55 PM).
Playhouse Pokemon
Crystal Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB View Post
This looks like a great idea! It feels like Neko Atsume but for Pokemon and better haha
I love the mockups you have so far, definitely seems like you put a lot of effort into this :)
Haha thank you! Is that the cat one? Because that one looks cool but I haven't played it yet! Should give it a try!

Quote:
The team idea is great - definitely gives a goal for the user: just a question, though - would we get random eggs, or do we get to choose, or do we put Pokemon in the daycare?
Thank you! My teams are the favourite as well, though I'm considering staggering the difficulty so you don't have to get a team of six straight off the bat cause that seems a little hard!

As for the eggs, you find them as you walk! For now they are planned to be random, but I'm thinking the more steps you get the higher chance of a rarer Pokemon. It also depends on where you walk, as different areas have different Pokemon in them!

You don't put them in the daycare, that's just there as a background :) !

Quote:
Some things I'd like to see:
-Pokemon individuality (so maybe I can get the same Pokemon twice, but they'll have different nicknames, personalities, food preferences, etc) - this would be just a couple of extra variables for the Pokemon, so I don't think it'd be too hard
-different environments for the field-Pokemon to move around in
-maybe some toys / objects to interact with on the field (the interaction would be a lot of work) that you can earn by walking around
Those all sound like good ideas!

For now I had planned for it to be you get one of each species (including split evolutions), just so the array of Pokemon would be easy, but I think multiples could work!

The environments sound cool, too! I know I'm planning to have different backgrounds for when you walk to different areas (you can't interact with them unfortunately - it's just for aesthetic)

And the interaction sounds cool! I could make a page for field Pokemon that's split stats and Pokemon-Amie! That could take work, so maybe if I get far enough :) !

Thank you for commenting :) !
Old April 14th, 2016 (6:28 PM).

Haha yeah Neko Atsume is the popular cat collecting one

You could base some teams off trainer classes, so maybe like Youngster team is a bunch of Ratata and Sentrets, Hiker is Geodudes, etc

Are you storing the Pokemon in an array? That could work (you'd have to keep track of which ones are already caught & generate a random index according to that, but that shouldn't be too hard) I'm thinking you could actually store hatched Pokemon as an ArrayList/Vector, so you can add multiple ones to it, and keep a separate array for the Pokedex to keep track of what you already caught (probably just a boolean array, where the index = pokedex number and true = caught)

I've never worked with Swift so I'm not too sure how it works (I use an Android phone haha) but that way whenever you hatch an egg you can just generate a new Pokemon & add it to the Party/Hatched ArrayList, and check the Pokedex to see if it's already caught. Team Achievements are also pretty easy too then cause they can just check the correspond Pokedex index

Old April 14th, 2016 (8:03 PM).
Playhouse Pokemon
Crystal Tier

Quote:
Haha yeah Neko Atsume is the popular cat collecting one

You could base some teams off trainer classes, so maybe like Youngster team is a bunch of Ratata and Sentrets, Hiker is Geodudes, etc
That's a good idea! I wanted to do it with popular characters like Joey and the like, but there aren't many of those characters! I'll need to find out if it's just for achievements or if collecting the teams will grant rewards (leader teams grant badges, and professor teams grant starter eggs, but that's all I know for sure)

Quote:
Are you storing the Pokemon in an array? That could work (you'd have to keep track of which ones are already caught & generate a random index according to that, but that shouldn't be too hard) I'm thinking you could actually store hatched Pokemon as an ArrayList/Vector, so you can add multiple ones to it, and keep a separate array for the Pokedex to keep track of what you already caught (probably just a boolean array, where the index = pokedex number and true = caught)
That's a great idea! The Field will be an array cause it's a fixed length, but the PC can be a vector cause it won't be a fixed length. The index numbers as pokedex is a great idea, but I have to be careful with Pokemon like eevee; you are able to catch 7 in total as you need all the eeveelutions

Quote:
I've never worked with Swift so I'm not too sure how it works (I use an Android phone haha) but that way whenever you hatch an egg you can just generate a new Pokemon & add it to the Party/Hatched ArrayList, and check the Pokedex to see if it's already caught. Team Achievements are also pretty easy too then cause they can just check the correspond Pokedex index :)
Yea, and then I can narrow it down depending on the area it was in, the steps taken, and the partner, etc etc etc! Nice ideas :) !
Old April 16th, 2016 (3:30 AM).
Pokemon-vn Boss

Nature: Lonely
Wow, keep working to complete it. This is the very first Pokemon App that I really want to play! (except Pokemon Shuffle & Trading Card Online haha)
Well, when you completed this App, will you turn it into an Android Apk?
Old April 16th, 2016 (5:48 AM).
Playhouse Pokemon
Crystal Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Draceus View Post
Wow, keep working to complete it. This is the very first Pokemon App that I really want to play! (except Pokemon Shuffle & Trading Card Online haha)
Well, when you completed this App, will you turn it into an Android Apk?
That's great to hear, thank you!

And for now I don't think I'll try converting it to Andriod :( , doesn't seem within my skill range. Thanks for the comment :) !

------------

On another note, I'm not really digging the menu as much as I was before, could I get some feedback on what is more appealing? The ones on the left or the ones on the right. Cheers everyone :) !

- >

- >
Old April 16th, 2016 (6:18 PM).
Pokemon-vn Boss

Nature: Lonely
I prefer the ones on the right
Old April 16th, 2016 (9:52 PM).
Playhouse Pokemon
Crystal Tier

I have another feature that I think would be good, and one or two more that I haven't quite articulated yet that could be cool!

The first one: a leaderboard! I remember playing ratchet: gladiator and loving the rank-o-meter - seeing yourself slowly move up those ranks is really rewarding!

God knows why, but I've always loved that feature on the game! So I'd like to recreate it on this little app!

Steps refers to actual steps, and points are calculated by steps, as well as daily bonuses, multipliers, and other variables!
Of course, the empty lines will be filled with AIs whose steps and points will increase daily! Most of the Johto trainers will be in it, from Youngster Joey to Champion Lance! Of course, difficulty of AIs will be different in comparison to in-game trainers, leaders, champions, and manga counterparts. Hopefully that will motivate to get those 10,000 steps!

I'm also considering a "battle" like thing where you must get a certain amount of steps to get badges and beat the elite four and etcetera.

What do you guys think :) ?
Old April 18th, 2016 (8:52 AM).
Playhouse Pokemon
Crystal Tier

Okay all, added a lot of data regarding Pokemon areas, the store, and the teams.

All teams will have trainers on the leaderboard - so over 50 people to compete against! How exciting!

Are there any Pokemon you'd like to see included in this game?
Are there any HGSS trainers you'd like to see as a team/on the leaderboard?

Let me know :) !
Old April 18th, 2016 (8:10 PM).

Seems you've come a long way haha too bad I have an Android phone
Have you started the implementation yet or are you still just sketching out ideas?

Old April 19th, 2016 (2:06 AM).
Playhouse Pokemon
Crystal Tier

Quote:
Seems you've come a long way haha too bad I have an Android phone
Have you started the implementation yet or are you still just sketching out ideas?
Still in the idea phase! Though very close to starting it! I've just got to iron out a few more details before I'm comfortable with starting it!
Old April 20th, 2016 (7:10 AM).
Playhouse Pokemon
Crystal Tier

I think that is the last idea I need to have sketched out - battles! Of course, there aren't moves or HP or stats in this game, so it's rather trainer v trainer rather than pokemon v pokemon. If you get the most steps within a certain time limit you win the battle! How does that sound :) ?
Old April 20th, 2016 (9:46 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impo View Post

I think that is the last idea I need to have sketched out - battles! Of course, there aren't moves or HP or stats in this game, so it's rather trainer v trainer rather than pokemon v pokemon. If you get the most steps within a certain time limit you win the battle! How does that sound ?
I like the idea of battles - just one thing, though; I like the idea of a pedometer game cause I don't have to be looking at my screen to play it, and it can just be an extra reward for walking around and something to check during breaks, but a race might be difficult for people who don't have the time to specifically walk for a battle (plus that might involve having to look at your phone while walking/running or a timer notification)

Old April 20th, 2016 (4:30 PM).
Playhouse Pokemon
Crystal Tier

Quote:
I like the idea of battles - just one thing, though; I like the idea of a pedometer game cause I don't have to be looking at my screen to play it, and it can just be an extra reward for walking around and something to check during breaks, but a race might be difficult for people who don't have the time to specifically walk for a battle (plus that might involve having to look at your phone while walking/running or a timer notification)
Hmmm... the game's main appeal is that most of the hard work is done while your phone is idle, so you are right there! But battles with timers are the only way I could think to fit battles organically into the mechanics. To combat the need to constantly look at your phone I was thinking of giving a hint to how to beat them beforehand: i.e. take a 15min walk, 10 min run, etc.

The times for battles won't be long at all, so hopefully people would be able to take some time to attempt them! I know the aim of this game is get people moving, so having people make the time to exercise would be a great accomplishment for me!

I'll leave it there like that for now, but if it's received badly by other people I'll rework that mechanic! (since this game was meant for me only I was gonna have Lance be an hour jog haha, that may have to change!)

But as always, thank you for the feedback. It is greatly appreciated :) !
Old April 21st, 2016 (7:58 PM).
Just a computer guy

Nature: Calm
Great idea, man! I always thought of this (and My Pokemon Ranch wasn't quite the farm game I was looking for). Even if just to hone your skills, I hope you continue on with the project and hopefully if source code is provided, for it to be brought to us Android guys =) I'd love to try it, specially with all my lame-o walks.

Best of luck!
Old April 21st, 2016 (11:15 PM).
Playhouse Pokemon
Crystal Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by isael-21 View Post
Great idea, man! I always thought of this (and My Pokemon Ranch wasn't quite the farm game I was looking for). Even if just to hone your skills, I hope you continue on with the project and hopefully if source code is provided, for it to be brought to us Android guys =) I'd love to try it, specially with all my lame-o walks.

Best of luck!
Thank you!
If someone can figure out how to make it with Android, be my guest!
(Admittedly I am doing mobile development in Android for university, but I don't have an android phone haha)
Old April 22nd, 2016 (8:24 AM).
Playhouse Pokemon
Crystal Tier

I've finalised all of the mock-up screens! Hurrah!

I'll update the first post shortly, but for now here they are: (please not I've used placeholders in many places, they aren't going to be 10 teams of 6 chanseys.. tho i love chansey)

Spoiler:

I won't begin coding until next week because university's begun again, but before that I thought I would start to see if anyone wanted to help me code this thing! It will be done in swift using either swift of objective-C (leaning towards swift), so if you think you'd like to help reply in this thread :) !

Also, I'd like some feedback on the new screens, I'm still not 100% in love with the walking one (the last one)

Cheers all!
Old April 22nd, 2016 (11:22 AM).

Wow your game looks amazing and it has so damn cool ideas

I just want to see some little minigames or interactions with the Pokemon, so that you have something to do apart from walking. It would be very nice, if you could interact with them

I also need programmers and animation modellers who are interested in developing this game with me and my team.
Old April 22nd, 2016 (9:04 PM).
Playhouse Pokemon
Crystal Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero3 View Post
Wow your game looks amazing and it has so damn cool ideas :)

I just want to see some little minigames or interactions with the Pokemon, so that you have something to do apart from walking. It would be very nice, if you could interact with them ^^
Thank you!

Pokemon interaction would be quite a feature! Something like Poke amie would be cool after I get battles to work, or maybe even something like Pokethlon or Pokemon Stadium minigames :) !
Old April 23rd, 2016 (7:31 AM).

Pokeathlon Minigames would be so damn awesome, but I'll be happy with any other interaction, if Pokéathlon Minigames aren't possible to program. I'm sure I would get addicted to it xD

I wish you all the best for your development I hope you can figure out how to port it on android device. If you need a beta tester for Android devices (I have a Samsung Galaxy 5 Mini), then as Reggie says: My body is ready

I also need programmers and animation modellers who are interested in developing this game with me and my team.
Old April 23rd, 2016 (7:51 PM).
Playhouse Pokemon
Crystal Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero3 View Post
Pokeathlon Minigames would be so damn awesome, but I'll be happy with any other interaction, if Pokéathlon Minigames aren't possible to program. I'm sure I would get addicted to it xD

I wish you all the best for your development I hope you can figure out how to port it on android device. If you need a beta tester for Android devices (I have a Samsung Galaxy 5 Mini), then as Reggie says: My body is ready :)
I made a game called chansey's catch (which was from Pokemon Stadium 2), but I lost it on my old computer :( ! Considering that's eggs (a central part of this game), including something like that wouldn't be too difficult ;) !
Old April 24th, 2016 (1:17 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impo View Post
I made a game called chansey's catch (which was from Pokemon Stadium 2), but I lost it on my old computer ! Considering that's eggs (a central part of this game), including something like that wouldn't be too difficult !
Nice Can't wait until it's finally out!

Old April 24th, 2016 (7:34 AM).
Playhouse Pokemon
Crystal Tier

The Pokedex and the Achievements are now up!

On another note, another feature I'm thinking of is Pokemon as a prize if you meet your step goal on a holiday! They'll be shiny!

Old April 24th, 2016 (8:42 AM).
Pokémon Exile Developer

Nature: Modest
Interesting concept- I've recently been learning Swift and using x-code for app development. I like the idea of using it as a general health/pedometer app; it really has some potential for the download market and appstore.

I think with the recent version of x-code, you can produce functionality to sync with an Apple watch- just an idea for the future.

Good luck with your app!

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links