The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Create & Discover > Roleplay Theatre
Reload this Page Player used Me First

Roleplay Theatre The realm where writers gather to create glorious tales or silly drama together and chronicle their adventures. Start or join roleplays featuring Pokémon, other franchises or something completely original!

Old July 17th, 2016 (6:43 PM).
Why must it be the young...

Nature: Adamant
What are your thoughts, concerns, etc. regarding making reservations for a roleplay?

I'm personally not fond of placing them because I feel it's ultimately unfair to those who didn't made an immediate decision to sign up. Everyone should be given time to decide, especially if they'll be expected to stay active in a roleplay they felt obligated to rashly apply for before all the given spots were yanked out from under their nose. Not to mention, a reserve does not guarantee an application will follow immediately afterwards and it seems nothing short of frustrating as a game master to have to sit around waiting for that last reserved person to finally get around to finishing up.

Applications should be posted in a finalized state as to not waste time; that's my opinion. You may as well disagree. State your beliefs below.

R. I. P. Rina the Chimecho
Lv. 1 - Lv. 30
"Sadly enough, the most painful goodbyes are the ones that are left unsaid and never explained."

Relevant Advertising!

Old July 17th, 2016 (11:03 PM). Edited July 17th, 2016 by Songbird.
The name's Uzume Tennouboshi! Yeah, I know, it's pretty badass.

I'm of the mind that "competition breeds innovation". Communication and cooperation follow along, altogether providing a reliable basis for improvement at all times.

I like expressing interest. I don't like reservations, and I don't like posting works-in-progress. The only exception is when that progress is sufficient for review, and you can have that taken care of in private. For example, when a character's history or personality are complete before other sections, being able to check for consistency (both in itself and in the RP's universe) is worth sending it if you aren't (or don't need to be) asking questions in advance. This adds up to less overall hassle, regardless of how many edits you may have to make in the short term.

Reservations discourage competition for slots with limited availability, and I feel this method is almost guaranteed to reduce the quality of the final product, this concept of exclusivity causing only stagnation for the applicant. The one who reserves has no pressure whatsoever to deliver besides maybe a deadline. This can be seen all over the place in the technological world's monopolies and oligarchies (e.g. telecoms and ISPs), and it doesn't only apply on that macro scale; it affects personal growth, too.

If, in the end, a non-reservational approach means that some players' characters-in-the-making—or even a finished character that might need further alteration—will get binned, then so be it. Their effort created a need for the accepted player to excel; and the pressure of another player's character being accepted over theirs drove them to create something better, as well.

tl;dr Reservations make people lazy.
Old July 18th, 2016 (12:59 AM).
Dapper bowler hat
Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Godzil
Personally, I don't like to make reservations. If I'm interested in joining, and there's an open spot, I'll crank out an SU and post it when it's done. It encourages me to quickly and succinctly sum up my character, so people can easily see what they're like.

Of course, one downside to this is that my SU's are pretty devoid of ornamentation, and if there are limited options (like starters, titles, or entire chatacters) and someone posts and SU or reserve for that option, I sometimes have to go back and change that aspect of my SU, resulting in rapid improvising and a drastically different character.

Admittedly, it doesn't usually cause problems, but I elect not to reserve spots, and get a little sore when someone else does and takes my spot while I was busy making a whole SU.
Old July 18th, 2016 (5:59 AM).
rollin' around at the speed of sound
Silver Tier

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Luster Purge
I don't entirely like to make reservations, but I usually have to because otherwise someone will reserve my spot. In my RP, I don't do reservations unless the person can show me a completed application and it needs a bit of work; then, and only then, I reserve the spot for them so that they can fix what needs to be fixed. I'm not a fan of reservations, but they can be pretty useful if you do them right.

the purge

pair | showdown | claims | <3 Eevee | <3 Latios

Old July 18th, 2016 (7:57 AM).
Magically Odd
Silver Tier

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to Oddball_
I think of It like reserving a spot close to the front of the ooc, not an actual spot.

Friends for Infinity
Paired to GreyBidoof| Do more links later |

"Poking his head out of the closet"

art by the amazing Infinite
Old July 18th, 2016 (9:13 AM).
Seal the deal

Nature: Bashful
I never understood reservations for RPs.

Heck, I didn't even realize it was an option (at least, initially it was) in the RP I was joining and was just planning to write an application before all the spots get filled up. I mean, I never used them before so I don't think I'll ever start now.

これを翻訳しないでください
Old July 18th, 2016 (9:20 AM).
Why must it be the young...

Nature: Adamant
It's funny. Months ago reservations were being posted all over the place, which sparked my personal animosity towards them, but nowadays I'm seeing more roleplays ban then and more people speak out against them. I guess that's one trend that's dying out here.

I don't see the productivity of taking a spot on the first page of a thread. I can see how using reservations to allow those pending applications a chance to right themselves is fair. I can also understand how competition can lead to a drive to create the best character that a person can. Of course, that relies entirely on the individual. Some people do not work well under stress.

Ultimately, I think the urge to reserve stems from one of three things: a feeling of paranoia that people will snatch a spot before you can get to it, a feeling of self-consciousness—you don't think you have what it takes to "compete" against others for a spot or a feeling of indolence, because you've essentially secured yourself a place among the roster and thus can afford to put things off or work at whatever pace you wish.

I think a game master themselves can only "limit" that first feeling while the two others stem, again, from the individual. I know I can certainly sympathize with all three. However, I don't see any of them as good reasons for making a reservation. As I noted before, I consider them a way of driving people off.

R. I. P. Rina the Chimecho
Lv. 1 - Lv. 30
"Sadly enough, the most painful goodbyes are the ones that are left unsaid and never explained."

Old July 20th, 2016 (11:17 AM).
every story
ModeratorCS

Nature: Naive
At the same time, if a hyped up RP gets posted when you are asleep, and you wake up to find that the GM is already satisfied, that's a bummer ); but that can be helped by the GM at least letting potential players know a minimum time they have to make applications before they start accepting. Not a max limit after which everything is said and done, but just "hey, I won't look at applications before sunday, just so you know. Take your time!"

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Old July 21st, 2016 (10:24 AM).
Show me that Fighting Spirit

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to FireSnow
I would say I too try not to make reservations, though I definitely have in the past, but try to express an interest, more as a way to remind me that I like the RP and would like to be in it if possible. If i don't do that I typically end up forgetting about due to other events or IRL things. I'm also of the mind of trying to post almost, if not fully, completed SUs so as not to keep the RP from stalling out before it ever begins.
Old July 21st, 2016 (1:28 PM).
Magically Odd
Silver Tier

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to Oddball_
Im sure ive done it, but If I dont finish the su within an hour I generally dont decide to join.

Friends for Infinity
Paired to GreyBidoof| Do more links later |

"Poking his head out of the closet"

art by the amazing Infinite
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links