< >
Hello, guest! Please log in or register.

The PokéCommunity

Go Back     The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources Tool Hopeless Trainer Editor [Gen. III]

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Reply Post Reply

Old July 12th, 2015 (11:49 AM). Edited July 19th, 2015 by Lostelle.
Ordinary Magician
Crystal Tier

Nature: Naughty

The Hopeless Trainer Editor

Hello! I'm just going to keep this nice and short: after being disappointed by existing trainer editors, I made my own. I've tested it myself, and I have yet to encounter any problems both in-game and with the tool.

Features

• Edit Trainers (and all the comes with it)
  • Import/Export Trainers
  • Repoints correctly!
  • Supports all English Gen. III games

Screens

Here's a simple screenshot for you to enjoy. Now a decent size.
Spoiler:

Downloads

Beta 0.9: Download
Beta 0.9.1: Download
Note: Requires .Net 4.0 to run!

Thanks for stopping by!

Relevant Advertising!

Old July 19th, 2015 (6:27 AM).

Looks Promising

I'll test it out and let you know what I think.
Check out my Pokemon Rom! Click the Image Below!
Old July 19th, 2015 (7:08 AM). Edited July 19th, 2015 by Sky High.
Bellsprouts in Paris. Be aware a rare Victini.

Nature: Adamant
Now we have Advance, Unnamed, G3T, and now this one? But wait! Dowloaded and tested it. Whoa! This is really way ultimate. Nice job Lost Heart! I'd like the way it uses pointers instead of data. That's what I want to see it in tools nowadays (like I have seen it also in G3T) because it gets so tired replacing offsets to the new data if it is too much.

Suggestion: a search engine to look for Trainers by names or ID number.

One bug though: I opened Emerald then I open FireRed (and vice versa). The Trainer Class list doesn't change (but it changed in textbox). And Emerald's Trainer Count should be 855 not 743?
Old July 19th, 2015 (8:07 AM).
The True XV
Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Joexv
This looks really good! Good job. One question though, does it support extended Mon's, moves etc?
Edit: Nevermind saw the ini
Old July 19th, 2015 (11:22 AM).
who is shenanigans
ModeratorCS

I love this! It's got my favourite UI of any Trainer editor out there, and it's functionality is great so far.

One question, though: could you make it so users can specify Pokémon for a Trainer's team using the species # instead of just their name? For example if I have two Basculin which share the same name, being able to specify which one in particular would be very useful.

Other than that, I can't think of anything necessary to improve it! :D
Old July 19th, 2015 (3:30 PM).
zef

what does this have over UTE?
Old July 19th, 2015 (4:28 PM).
Ordinary Magician
Crystal Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
Now we have Advance, Unnamed, G3T, and now this one? But wait! Dowloaded and tested it. Whoa! This is really way ultimate. Nice job Lost Heart! I'd like the way it uses pointers instead of data. That's what I want to see it in tools nowadays (like I have seen it also in G3T) because it gets so tired replacing offsets to the new data if it is too much.

Suggestion: a search engine to look for Trainers by names or ID number.
Thanks! And I definitely agree this should be a feature! Hopefully I can get together a quick solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
One bug though: I opened Emerald then I open FireRed (and vice versa). The Trainer Class list doesn't change (but it changed in textbox). And Emerald's Trainer Count should be 855 not 743?
Thanks for catching that! I forgot to clear the list of class names on each load... :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexv View Post
This looks really good! Good job. One question though, does it support extended Mon's, moves etc?
Edit: Nevermind saw the ini
Thanks for the support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
I love this! It's got my favourite UI of any Trainer editor out there, and it's functionality is great so far.

One question, though: could you make it so users can specify Pokémon for a Trainer's team using the species # instead of just their name? For example if I have two Basculin which share the same name, being able to specify which one in particular would be very useful.

Other than that, I can't think of anything necessary to improve it! :D
Thanks! One of my goals for this was making sure the UI was easy to use. And I can definitely add a specification for species number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
what does this have over UTE?
Nothing in particular, though I think the way I handle the saving of data is a bit better.
Old July 19th, 2015 (4:47 PM).
Banned

This is a stellar trainer editor. What I would appreciate more than anything, though, is if you ported this out of .NET and into a platform-independent language so it can be adjusted to compile on Linux, OS X, etc. I'd recommend D but I know how you feel about that - maybe try Python, or C++? I don't know.
Old July 19th, 2015 (5:28 PM).
Ordinary Magician
Crystal Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
This is a stellar trainer editor. What I would appreciate more than anything, though, is if you ported this out of .NET and into a platform-independent language so it can be adjusted to compile on Linux, OS X, etc. I'd recommend D but I know how you feel about that - maybe try Python, or C++? I don't know.
I'd certainly like that to be the next step, but I first want to make sure all the bugs are ironed out before I go around porting it. And I'm not opposed to D at all, I'd just need to learn it better.
Old July 19th, 2015 (5:46 PM).
Ordinary Magician
Crystal Tier

Okay, I'm just letting you all know that I've uploaded version 0.9.1! It has all the features/fixes that were brought up--luckily they were not too hard to implement.

This means:
  • The class names thing is fixed.
  • You can now select species by index number.
  • You can search for trainers by name and index number.
  • Emerald's ini data hopefully has the right number of trainers.
  • Bonus: The Pokémon sprite now disappears when you load a new trainer.

Please let me know of any issues you have!
魔法と紅夢からなる存在
Old July 19th, 2015 (8:54 PM).

Just tried it, It works well! Great work!
Check out my Pokemon Rom! Click the Image Below!
Old July 19th, 2015 (10:31 PM).
Check it out!!

Nature: Gentle
Why you named it 'Hopless'?? It is awesome trainer editor !!
Always FEEL CONFIDENT!!!
Old July 20th, 2015 (2:16 AM).
Gold Tier

Love it, the UI is much nicer looking than G3T. Hope you can make it even better!

Little problem I found, if you change any of the number values (by typing in a new number, NOT using the arrows) like intro music, ai or trainer sprite and then click save, it doesn't actually save. You need to do this and then switch to another field before it's "counted" as being changed. A bit confusing but you should be able to see what I mean, just try to change the trainer sprite or something by typing in a new number. The sprite doesn't actually change until you hit enter.

Also, It would be nice if the search function worked using enter or a button, with the way it's set up currently there's no way to find names that appear more than once in the rom.
Old July 20th, 2015 (2:32 AM).

Awesome, finally a trainer editor with a search function. Everything seems fine, however there are two things that bug me.
First, some move names are too long to fit into a text box. I'd suggest making the text boxes a little bigger.
I'd also appreciate if you added a button allowing you to automatically find 4 moves a Pokemon would have at its level even if you ticked custom attacks.
Overall, it's a pretty nice tool. I'm definitely going to use this.
Old July 20th, 2015 (5:20 AM).
Ordinary Magician
Crystal Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackstar View Post
Why you named it 'Hopless'?? It is awesome trainer editor !!
Because my username used to be "Hopeless Masquerade". It doesn't really have anything to do with how good/bad it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrunch View Post
Love it, the UI is much nicer looking than G3T. Hope you can make it even better!

Little problem I found, if you change any of the number values (by typing in a new number, NOT using the arrows) like intro music, ai or trainer sprite and then click save, it doesn't actually save. You need to do this and then switch to another field before it's "counted" as being changed. A bit confusing but you should be able to see what I mean, just try to change the trainer sprite or something by typing in a new number. The sprite doesn't actually change until you hit enter.

Also, It would be nice if the search function worked using enter or a button, with the way it's set up currently there's no way to find names that appear more than once in the rom.
Yeah, I know what you mean. That's a problem with the control itself and the way Microsoft has it set up. But, it shouldn't be too hard to make it function like desired.
And you're right for the search thing, so I'll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEgg View Post
Awesome, finally a trainer editor with a search function. Everything seems fine, however there are two things that bug me.
First, some move names are too long to fit into a text box. I'd suggest making the text boxes a little bigger.
I'd also appreciate if you added a button allowing you to automatically find 4 moves a Pokemon would have at its level even if you ticked custom attacks.
Overall, it's a pretty nice tool. I'm definitely going to use this.
Yes, I know the comboboxes do not show the full length of the name some times. However, I have it set up so that if you do show all the move so you can change one the options will not appear cut-off. Making them bigger would require reworking a lot of the UI.

As for the button, I like the idea but it seems a bit unnecessary. The whole point of custom moves is so you can have a unique moveset, not the generic attacks. If there was enough interest I might reconsider, but not right now.
魔法と紅夢からなる存在
Old July 20th, 2015 (7:55 PM).
Just Some Average Anthropomorphic Gallade

Nature: Modest
Another Lost Heart tool! And it's as good as all the others :D I love the tool, it has pretty much everything I wanted in a Trainer Editor. Is it alright if I suggest a few things? Okay:

● An autosave feature. Sometimes, manually clicking save to keep the changes seems a bit on the tedious side. If you change trainers, it will save automatically. If the trainer needs repointing because it's too big, then the dialouge box will show up. Have the autosave feature as a toggle check box?

● Expand and add even more trainers, if that already isn't a feature. Moves and repoints the trainer table. Kind of like the "Expand Pokémon" button from GH3S.
Old July 20th, 2015 (8:02 PM).
Ordinary Magician
Crystal Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashtiki View Post
Another Lost Heart tool! And it's as good as all the others :D I love the tool, it has pretty much everything I wanted in a Trainer Editor. Is it alright if I suggest a few things? Okay:

● An autosave feature. Sometimes, manually clicking save to keep the changes seems a bit on the tedious side. If you change trainers, it will save automatically. If the trainer needs repointing because it's too big, then the dialouge box will show up. Have the autosave feature as a toggle check box?
I'd really rather not have an auto-save feature. The current saving method is set up with repointing in mind: I want to make it so you only have to repoint when you absolutely need to. As it is, you can change the format and the number of Pokémon, and then it will determine whether a repoint is necessary. Repointing with every change will just complicate things unnecessarily and probably waste space in the ROM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashtiki View Post
● Expand and add even more trainers, if that already isn't a feature. Moves and repoints the trainer table. Kind of like the "Expand Pokémon" button from GH3S.
This is actually impossible right now. The game has pretty strict limiters in the memory that limits the number of flags available for trainers (which store win/not encountered status), and the process of adjusting said memory is beyond our (meaning the community's) capabilities because of how much space is needed. Or something like that. If/when this becomes possible, you can bet that I will include such a feature!

Thanks for the feedback!
魔法と紅夢からなる存在
Old July 20th, 2015 (8:02 PM).
They call me... "The Rod"

Nature: Lax
Are you planning on releasing the source code? It would help for porting over to a cross-platformable language.

Also, I think you've done an amazing job here. It looks great and has a lot of really nice features (love the searching addition).
D&D Editor
Old July 20th, 2015 (8:04 PM).
Ordinary Magician
Crystal Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Zeta View Post
Are you planning on releasing the source code? It would help for porting over to a cross-platformable language.

Also, I think you've done an amazing job here. It looks great and has a lot of really nice features (love the searching addition).
Yeah, I will. I want to get it cleaned up and such first, because the coding is really messy right now. But sooner or later, yes. I will release the source.
魔法と紅夢からなる存在
Old July 22nd, 2015 (5:07 PM).
Fluorite's back, brah
Gold Tier

Nature: Hasty
This is actually impossible right now. The game has pretty strict limiters in the memory that limits the number of flags available for trainers (which store win/not encountered status), and the process of adjusting said memory is beyond our (meaning the community's) capabilities because of how much space is needed. Or something like that. If/when this becomes possible, you can bet that I will include such a feature! [/QUOTE]

Hmm, isn't this included in A-trainer? Or is that broken?
Old July 22nd, 2015 (5:29 PM).
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny0317 View Post
This is actually impossible right now. The game has pretty strict limiters in the memory that limits the number of flags available for trainers (which store win/not encountered status), and the process of adjusting said memory is beyond our (meaning the community's) capabilities because of how much space is needed. Or something like that. If/when this becomes possible, you can bet that I will include such a feature!
Hmm, isn't this included in A-trainer? Or is that broken?[/QUOTE]

It's broken in A-Trainer obviously. If you use one of those trainers it starts overwriting bytes in RAM and stuff. It also starts to bug out data, so some Pokémon would have random held items that aren't actually in trainer data, probably because of RAM again or limiters. Same for trainers, they'd try to use revives or shards or something but it wouldn't do anything.
Old July 22nd, 2015 (8:36 PM).
Pokemon: Aqua Blue

This looks fantastic. Would love to see a few features:

Customizable item presets:
Next to the items list, have a "save set as preset" button and then a drop down list. When clicking the save set as preset it lets you type in a name for the preset, and then at any time you can click the drop down list on a trainer and click the saved set to apply all 4 items, cutting your time into a 1/4th.

Randomize Pokemon by Type:
When you set up most of the trainers, you don't really care what pokemon you give them. A lot of the time you know the bug catcher will be using bug pokemon, but what specific bug pokemon isn't always important. It would be nice to see an option next to the pokemon to just click a type, and it randomizes the pokemon the given trainer has based on that type. You would still have to set all of the other things for it, but it would save time scrolling through them. This would also help with people not familiar with all pokemon. (however if they are hacking it they are probably knowledgeable with most)

Might also be nice to have a randomize trainer that matches up the image with the title given.

Hopefully everyone enjoys my ideas!
FC: 3582 - 9598 - 9978. Add me!
Old July 22nd, 2015 (9:23 PM).
The True XV
Silver Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Joexv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criminon View Post
Randomize Pokemon by Type:
Actually i wouldnt mind seeing this too. Maybe add a section to the ini to allow for customization regarding what pokemon are used?
Old July 22nd, 2015 (9:47 PM).
Pokemon: Aqua Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexv View Post
Actually i wouldnt mind seeing this too. Maybe add a section to the ini to allow for customization regarding what pokemon are used?
Yeah, would also be nice.

Depends on how advanced you would want to get with a feature like this, but you could also do it based on evolution tier. IE base, 1st evolution, 2nd evolution etc. Or rather have an option for "highest evolution" so it includes pokemon without evos.

But yeah, having features like these I think would really set this apart from others and it would make creating so much easier. Editing huge lists of trainers for complete hacks is so time consuming. The amount of hours saved from features like this would be nuts.
FC: 3582 - 9598 - 9978. Add me!
Old July 23rd, 2015 (2:27 AM).
Spanish Rom Hacker

Hi!
I tested it and it works really good, grats for your job.
Just a little suggestion:
Attack names(maybe trainer names too?) don't support characters like: ó ñ ú etc

And a question about the ini; I repointed my attack and attack name table, is this tool complatible with it? I mean, I can only specify the name of attacks and attacknames not their offsets.
Thanks for the tool and keep the good work!
Reply Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links