The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 5th, 2014, 09:32 AM
chiklit
Old Skool PPN

Send a message via ICQ to chiklit Send a message via AIM to chiklit Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chiklit Send a message via Yahoo to chiklit Send a message via Skype™ to chiklit
If it'll be of any help to anybody I still have the source code for GoldMap 1.6 that AdvanceMap was originally based off of.

They're both available here: lastedit.com/poke/gm/ (Apparently I can't post links)

I'm not sure which is more recent, they might be the same version. They're from a 2005 backup so the "Last modified on" dates are all out of whack.

For what it's worth I had originally tried to get LU-HO to release his code as open source after the first version on the basis that I had released the GoldMap source under a CC-SA license and he was in violation by not sharing the code but he refused (and in general he was a huge jerk about it - as I had originally just asked him to make his EULA less insanely restrictive) and me and Jiggly (who originally wrote the GM code) decided not to press the issue.
Old January 6th, 2014, 02:09 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklit View Post
If it'll be of any help to anybody I still have the source code for GoldMap 1.6 that AdvanceMap was originally based off of.

They're both available here: lastedit.com/poke/gm/ (Apparently I can't post links)

I'm not sure which is more recent, they might be the same version. They're from a 2005 backup so the "Last modified on" dates are all out of whack.

For what it's worth I had originally tried to get LU-HO to release his code as open source after the first version on the basis that I had released the GoldMap source under a CC-SA license and he was in violation by not sharing the code but he refused (and in general he was a huge jerk about it - as I had originally just asked him to make his EULA less insanely restrictive) and me and Jiggly (who originally wrote the GM code) decided not to press the issue.
I just downloaded the source code of GoldMap, thanks! ^^

But yeah, I can see that all LU-HO did with GoldMap upon obtaining the source code back then, was tweaked it so it supported the Generation III games and removed the compatibility for Pokémon Gold. But from there, he made newer functions and eventually in a more later version, he made the textures load directly from the ROM. During the earlier stages of AdvanceMap from what I saw in the earlier versions... it didn't load the textures from the ROM and instead used the textures provided in a folder. Then once 1.95 came out, it re-coded in Lazarus... but we still haven't received the source code. And nowadays... LU-HO has not been seen ever again since February 2012 here on the forums, and I've never heard from him again anywhere online.

Hopefully AdvanceMap and LU-HO's disappearance should serve as a reminder to everyone that it's important to keep a ROM hacking tool open-source always! ;)

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!

Last edited by Platinum Lucario; January 6th, 2014 at 02:27 AM.
Old January 26th, 2014, 04:58 AM
kentasaiba

When I save the changes, all in the rom is like before. Do I have to patch die file?
Old January 26th, 2014, 05:04 AM
Platinum Lucario
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourLordSatan View Post
You NEED to update NONE of the links work

your links dont work your backup links dont work and I cant find it anywhere else YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR DAMN LINKS MEGAUPLOAD IS NO LONGER AROUND!
I'm terribly sorry, but he's gone... and he hasn't been seen since 2012. It's probably safe to assume that he has died in real life or that he just has moved on and didn't want to work on AdvanceMap anymore. D:

If you'd like to find AdvanceMap 1.92 or AdvanceMap 1.95, you'll need to search for it here, sadly I cannot provide any links to uploads because I can get into trouble here on the forums for it, since when he used to be around, he always told us to not upload it to filesharing websites.

Okay, well if you'd like to see something that is being aimed to become way better than AdvanceMap, then please head on over to this thread. Map Editor of Happiness (MEH) is a brand new map editor for Generation III games. It is open source and being worked on right now. ^^

Other than that, there's really nothing else we can do here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentasaiba View Post
When I save the changes, all in the rom is like before. Do I have to patch die file?
Patches are only needed for downloaded ROM hacks. Just keep in mind that you can't patch over a ROM that the patch isn't made for.

If you're making a ROM hack, you don't need to patch anything. You just need to use the program. ;)

However you can create patches once you're finished with developing the ROM hack by using some patching program in which is used for distributing patches of ROM hacks or any kind of modifications to the ROM itself. ^^

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!

Last edited by Platinum Lucario; January 26th, 2014 at 05:10 AM.
Old January 30th, 2014, 02:22 PM
LU-HO
Author of AdvanceMap

Send a message via ICQ to LU-HO
Hello out there

The download was inactive because the server where it is hosted was moved, and i don't read the mail about it ...
Now the am195.no-ip.info link work again.
and if it would not work now its:
http://luho.lvps91-250-118-252.dedicated.hosteurope.de/

As I was active in RomHacking, every on ask me for the source but I don't got it them.
But I say I will release it if I will not longer be active in romhacking.

Now its about 2 or 3 year I do nothing (somit later than the last "news" on my page) so yes, i'm realy not longer active in RomHacking.
I want to try to relase the code on github in the next few weeks. (hope so)

PS: I also don't read the posts up there, PM's or Mails I got... (the day is to short...)

king regards
LU-HO

It's finally here, AdvanceMap 1.95 (Open Beta).
get it: [Release] AdvanceMap 1.95 Open Beta
Questions about AdvanceMap, found bugs, problems on using it? => contact me.

All versiones of Advance Map are available on ampage.no-ip.info.
The newest version of AdvanceMap is AM 1.95 get it.

Greetz goes to:
Mastermind_X, Tutti, Scizz, Darkmaster01, Tauwasser, F-Zero, Jiggly, Filb, Lugia2000, Mulle, Philb, Jay, TraX, Spacy, Mikaron, Coolman, CrazyNebulak, Arty und Serwe.

Old January 30th, 2014, 03:36 PM
link12552
just tired, that's all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LU-HO View Post
Hello out there

The download was inactive because the server where it is hosted was moved, and i don't read the mail about it ...

As I was active in RomHacking, every on ask me for the source but I don't got it them.

Now its about 2 or 3 year I do nothing (somit later than the last "news" on my page) so yes, i'm realy not longer active in RomHacking.

PS: I also don't read the posts up there, PM's or Mails I got... (the day is to short...)

king regards
LU-HO
Personally, I'm exited to see the source code - as I'm sure many others are - and think that releasing it would be great for the community.
I still remember the excitement of using advance map for the first time.

Best of luck in whatever you go on to do lu-ho.

Thank you
Old January 31st, 2014, 02:11 AM
Kakarot1212
Awesome as always...

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Hello out there

king regards
LU-HO
Yeah, personally, I'm excited to the release of your source code. Thanks!

And goodluck on your life Lu-ho

楓 弘詩
“ Programs must be written for people
to read, and only incidentally for
machines to execute. ”
Pair Pair | Facebook | Showdown | PHO | Twitter
| The Prediction Game |
Old January 31st, 2014, 03:48 AM
Platinum Lucario
Community Supporter

Quote:
Hello out there

king regards
LU-HO
Yay! Welcome back, LU-HO! ^^

I'm so happy that you've returned and decided to release the source code of AdvanceMap at long last. I was beginning to wonder what could've happened to you. Now that AdvanceMap is going to be open source soon, that way people can contribute to it and help it to improve. And we'll be able to add many more features to the program as well. ^^

Also, I wish you the best of luck in life as well, LU-HO! Thank you so much for developing AdvanceMap! ^^

Old February 1st, 2014, 01:06 PM
Shiny Quagsire
Being a Wizard

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Hello out there

king regards
LU-HO
Well this is an interesting turn of events indeed.

My MEH thread is probably going to be flooded with questions reguarding the continuation of MEH now, but this is definately a good turn of events. I'll probably continue with MEH since it's nearly complete and I'm rather fond of my IO system I have implemented. However, I think that releasing the source to A-Map was a bit overdue, so it's good that we (might) have it available to use until MEH comes into fruition, because as it is, MEH is in no state to be used full time (quite unfortunately). I do look forward to seeing what people do with A-Map as well as what happens to my own map editor.

Old February 7th, 2014, 02:35 AM
bitelaserkhalif
BITE LASER wants to fight!

Nature: Bold
I have a bug in this version:
The Tooltip is wrong.
For example, hovering the Puzzle button will display as Find Free Space.
Just Reminding.
Old February 7th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Platinum Lucario
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitelaserkhalif View Post
I have a bug in this version:
The Tooltip is wrong.
For example, hovering the Puzzle button will display as Find Free Space.
Just Reminding.
Those bugs will be fixed by someone else once Advance Map is open-source. ;)

Old February 7th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Shiny Quagsire
Being a Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum Lucario View Post
Those bugs will be fixed by someone else once Advance Map is open-source.
If it gets open sourced...

Old February 8th, 2014, 05:28 AM
Lightracer

Nature: Mild
nOOb help! How can I make trainer battles with 1.95?
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:37 AM
VV
ブラック

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to VV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightracer View Post
nOOb help! How can I make trainer battles with 1.95?
You make a trainer battle script first then add an OW so you can put the script's offset there.
Old February 9th, 2014, 03:17 AM
Lightracer

Nature: Mild
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
You make a trainer battle script first then add an OW so you can put the script's offset there.
How? In other words, can you give me a thread about it?
Old February 12th, 2014, 05:18 AM
Crazy_chu
Newly Born Pichu

umm... sorry but there is an error in this advance map
when you add a connection it won't appear
Old February 20th, 2014, 02:40 AM
Freddieclawz

I have a problem, when i copy and paste the script offset to a person and then unselect the person, the first number turns to "0" and screws everything up. Help please.
Old March 14th, 2014, 03:52 PM
M0ZEPH
Formally 'Resultz' - Returned!

Is there a solution to the whole connection corrupting thing that happens?

I'm getting '0xXXXXXX is not a pointer' on EVERY map.

PLEASE PM ME FOR INFO!
Old March 14th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Crashoverride1039

Hello, I've been having an issue with editing the Pokemon Leaf Green ROM that I have been working on for most of today. I cannot get my warps to work, the cave doors have the correct behavior, the id, map bank, and map are correctly leading to another warp (To the best of my knowledge). The warp doesn't ever stay once I place it. I place it correctly and then I try to go to another map or test the goto button with it selected and I keep getting the Frage Save Changes box. If I click yes to the save changes box, the warp stays but I would stay at the same map and the goto button wouldn't do anything. If I clicked no, it would take me to the other map I clicked on but the warp would go away and after getting that for about 4 hours now and looking at countless youtube tutorials and reading this one, I am getting quite frustrated because I followed each of the tutorials exactly as the instructor said and it hasn't worked.
Old March 15th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Shiny Quagsire
Being a Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashoverride1039 View Post
Hello, I've been having an issue with editing the Pokemon Leaf Green ROM that I have been working on for most of today. I cannot get my warps to work, the cave doors have the correct behavior, the id, map bank, and map are correctly leading to another warp (To the best of my knowledge). The warp doesn't ever stay once I place it. I place it correctly and then I try to go to another map or test the goto button with it selected and I keep getting the Frage Save Changes box. If I click yes to the save changes box, the warp stays but I would stay at the same map and the goto button wouldn't do anything. If I clicked no, it would take me to the other map I clicked on but the warp would go away and after getting that for about 4 hours now and looking at countless youtube tutorials and reading this one, I am getting quite frustrated because I followed each of the tutorials exactly as the instructor said and it hasn't worked.
First things first, wrong thread, there's a mapping help thread somewhere else (can't remember exactly where but it's on here). Second, don't use Leaf Green. There is literally no point in using it due to the fact that a large portion of research has been put into Fire Red which makes it a much better choice as a ROM base. Also, there's a good chance that the 'goto' button is either glitched since AMap 1.95 has quite a few bugs or your destination map is nonexistant. Try using AMap 1.92 and see if it works.

Old April 4th, 2014, 07:00 AM
sabertoothtigerz

Hi, i'm attempting to do some small modifications on a rom hack called expert emerald and i've noticed that some areas like jagged path and fiery pass have no pokemon in them, now i know how to use advanced map to add pokemon in a certain location but whenever i try to add wild pokemon back into one of those locations, those same pokemons are saved to the other location aswell, so lets say i put slugmas, numels, torkoals etc in fiery pass the same pokemons will appear in jagged path, also when i open those two locations i get the following error message.

: (ERROR: ENOTAPOINTER) ADVANCEDMAPERROR (5): value $0002F0 is not a pointer! please contakt [email protected]

that's the value error for jagged path this is the value error within the same message BUT FOR fiery pass $000364
Old April 10th, 2014, 06:41 AM
kingrocker

anyone know why bank 25+ has gone into bank 24? same order and everything... it also effects the TM learning and other stuff... Pokemon Emerald
B-0175 9239 8849
W-0046 4750 6974
W-0132 9743 2114
HG-1808 0115 7051
SS-0949 0181 0382
Pt-5113 5370 6632
D-0734 2697 2097
P-
I have every Main Pokemon game From the 3rd Gen and Beyond
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Twitig

when I try to open up a rom, it say's "Error(InOutError) access denied" A little help please?
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:05 AM
BlackLightningg

Hey, I was wondering is there a way to add maps from a file to advance map, because me and my friends are trying to make a hack together and send each other finished maps to add to 1 single rom.
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:26 PM
sabertoothtigerz

hi i would like to know if i can expand a certain map to the left and up here's what i want in more details.
when i want to edit a certain area like a town or a route i change the dimensions of that place however the dimensions when i make them bigger it always expands the areas where i can add newer stuff to the right and down, i would like to change in some of those areas that expansion to the left and up. if it's possible i would love to know how to do it.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links