The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Which starter would you choose?
Cycadino-Cycasaur-Petaldon 29 51.79%
Bunnignite-Rabblaze-Rabburst 9 16.07%
Finsh-Eddylphin-Maelstream 18 32.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 4th, 2011, 03:21 PM
~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Buffalo State College

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiTjA View Post
Fire :D
#004(764) -- Fluemur - Fire
Very unique for it to have smoke coming out of the tail rather than the typical "fire" like a lot of Fire types with tails. It's a really nicely drawn Pokemon; I find it so adorable but I do have to ask a question (I hope this doesn't offend you in any type of way) But: why would you put the brown on the tail instead of matching it with its skin color?

TG

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:46 PM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to MiTjA
Not really sure, I just saw it coloured like that when I was imagining it.
Oh, but it'll use that brown in other places once it starts evolving.

I may redo it sometime,well it's face at least, because I'm not really happy with the eyes. But the tail will stay as is :p
Old July 6th, 2011, 03:21 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
This all look smashing!
You've alot of planning. Makes me think you'd actually make a game. xD
I'd choose the water starter (due to my love of water)
and the fact that it's a fish on legs x3
Old July 8th, 2011, 04:08 PM
DowntownDumpling

Nature: Quiet
I voted "Cycadino-Cycasaur-Petaldon." I'm just a sucker for dinosaur-like starters. It reminds me of every six-year-old beginning Trainer's dream.
Old July 11th, 2011, 04:27 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

#007(767) -- Dilutile - Water
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:33 AM
MonsterMMORPG
Monster Game Developer
Community Supporter

those fakemons and badges are totaly awesome. You are really amazing artist. I also sent you PM on DA.

Basically if you are able to draw and want to get your place, just send me a PM. I have skype, live msn, yahoo msn.
PC SHOWCASE THREAD
MonsterMMORPG DeviantArt Group DeviantArt Page

Old August 12th, 2011, 09:07 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

First to evolve at 16 is Dilutile:
http://saiph-charon.deviantart.com/a...vile-252451236
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:51 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Last to evolve at 18 is Fluemur
http://saiph-charon.deviantart.com/a...rnis-252658583
Old August 19th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Watertownronin
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Modest
I like those pokemon you have here. Your shapes are good. The progression from first pokemon to it's final evolution has consistant elements. Nicely done.
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:36 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

:3

#002(762) --lv.17-> Petrodops - Grass / Flying
#003(763) -- --lv.35-> Pteravion - Grass / Flying
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:48 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

#009(769) -- --lv.36-> Glaivial - Water / Steel
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:15 AM
SNIM
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Hasty
WOW... just wow.
Little annoying that the images are in links, but the art itself is amazing!
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:21 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

x3
I don't think I can put 120 images in one post... otherwise I would. LOL
Old September 8th, 2011, 03:17 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

#108(868) -- Solasma - Electric / Psychic
#109(869) --lv.38-> Novabolt - Electric / Psychic
#110(870) -- --lv.48-> Pulsalax - Electric / Psychic

Last edited by MiTjA; September 8th, 2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old September 20th, 2011, 02:15 PM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Fire starter finished!
#006(766) -- --lv.34-> Fluekos - Fire / Poison
Old September 25th, 2011, 07:07 AM
tente2
"Outta my way, dammit!"

Well, I like the creativity that went into some of these. But I had one thought when I saw these:

Di Di Di Digimon
Digimon Digital Monsters
Digimon are the champions

Sorry, but that´s the first thought that came to my head. They just have the digimon style...not saying that it´s bad, just saying i don´t recognize them as pokemon. I´d like to see this finished though.
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:28 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

#042(802) -- Sensurm - Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by tente2 View Post
Well, I like the creativity that went into some of these. But I had one thought when I saw these:

Di Di Di Digimon
Digimon Digital Monsters
Digimon are the champions

Sorry, but that´s the first thought that came to my head. They just have the digimon style...not saying that it´s bad, just saying i don´t recognize them as pokemon. I´d like to see this finished though.
Just saying they look like digimon is the oldest and lamest comment a fakemon artist can get.
I don't know at all what you mean by that.
-Do any of the designs look like specific digimon?
I don't know, because I haven't looked much at most of them and they were not inspiration for any of my fakemon if that was the case.
-Does the shading style not look sugimori enough, but somehow rmeinds of digimon one?
I'm not trying to immitate sugimoris shading style, as mine is a simple 1 shade 1 highlight, to make it more simple and less time consuming, so I can focus more on the shapes and colors. But regardless, I highly doubt digimon are drawn any more similar to my style than sugimori pokemon.
-Does the amount and frequency of certain shapes and details remind of digimon?
I remember seeing much more complex details on digimon (even clothes and weapons), and way less care about how these are distributed, less sense of balance in the designs.

Why? What? Did newer generations look like digimon to you when you first saw them?

"I'm not saying its bad" is not a valid excuse for not elaborating anything at all.

:/

Its not like I don't want people to post at all, but if the post basically doesn't say anything, then what's the point?
Old September 28th, 2011, 07:01 PM
tente2
"Outta my way, dammit!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiTjA View Post

Just saying they look like digimon is the oldest and lamest comment a fakemon artist can get.
I don't know at all what you mean by that.
-Do any of the designs look like specific digimon?
I don't know, because I haven't looked much at most of them and they were not inspiration for any of my fakemon if that was the case.
-Does the shading style not look sugimori enough, but somehow rmeinds of digimon one?
I'm not trying to immitate sugimoris shading style, as mine is a simple 1 shade 1 highlight, to make it more simple and less time consuming, so I can focus more on the shapes and colors. But regardless, I highly doubt digimon are drawn any more similar to my style than sugimori pokemon.
-Does the amount and frequency of certain shapes and details remind of digimon?
I remember seeing much more complex details on digimon (even clothes and weapons), and way less care about how these are distributed, less sense of balance in the designs.

Why? What? Did newer generations look like digimon to you when you first saw them?

"I'm not saying its bad" is not a valid excuse for not elaborating anything at all.

:/

Its not like I don't want people to post at all, but if the post basically doesn't say anything, then what's the point?
(Most of the spoilers are images, for some reason they won't shrink and them being so big is obnoxious...)

Sorry, my fault for not elaborating...

Firstly, the shading style isn't digimon, but it's most definetely not Sugimori (at least I don't see it that way). The color tones are sort of... intense. The color tones in the official artwork is more softer, I find these ones "hard".

Spoiler:

I compared Sinistrunk to to Shiftry, the most similar Pokemon I could think of. See the difference?

Of course, the simplistic shading magnifies this. Still, I feel the Sugimori tones are harmonius, but these are strong and sort of battle for attention. I have a few more examples.

Spoiler:

Another thing, apart from the harsh tones, are the random color combinations on some of these. In pokemon, the colors on a pokemon are considered and coordinated to be (once again) harmonius, but here it feels (on some pokemon, others were better) you stuck them on randomly to grab attention, which is VERY characteristic of Digimon.

It hurts my eyes!

Spoiler:
Although, to be fair, they have since updated the Susanomon artwork to be not so bright and it actually looks good. But Digimon Frontier used really bright colors, and it was hideous.

Another issue with detail is the seemingly random patterns on some.
Spoiler:

Whenever you felt a pokemon was sort of empty, you put a bunch of paterns on (in a few cases, in colors that disrupt the color scheme). Sound familiar?
Spoiler:

(Just to make this clear: the following isn't directed at your designs, it's just explaining why I don't like the patterns. You barely overdesign a few, and the rest are fine.)

I feel this greatly disrupts the 'natural' theme I get from Pokemon. Most of the pokemon feel more or less realistic. Obviously, I don't mean Rattata realistic (that's just unorginal) or that floating dream-eating tapirs are realistic, but they aren't overachievers. They know not to overdesign a pokemon and to keep the design fairly simplistic.

Next, answering the "do you think the new pokemon look like digimon" question: absolutely not. The differences aren't from generation to generation, but from Sugimori to yours. I think the reasons above explain that.

Lastly, the "do any particular designs remind you of digimon?" question.
I'm kind of short on time won't go in depth with all, but here's one I found...coincidental.

Spoiler:

Old September 29th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Charicific
PkMn Trainer

Nature: Modest
Oh My Arceus!
Look man, I'll go straight forward to the point. You shouldn't feel down if your art is criticized, creating one Pokemon is one HUGE task. It needs tons of creativity and consideration. You must feel proud, you just designed idk..r they 100? Anyway, 100 designing isn't an instant. Its something extremely difficult. I do agree with the above poster that adding patterns was a way to hide their emptiness, it is not appealing but I DONT CARE. Creating a basic Pokemon is harder than it may seem. You did a very good job, keep it up....
Old September 29th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Harpalyce
Beginning Trainer

I believe I glanced at this on another forum, and now that I'm taking the time to slow down and look at all of it, I'm very impressed!

You do a very good job of capturing the Pokemon style: reminiscent of real-world creatures, but not overwhelmingly so; unique yet intuitively familiar at the same time. I really like the Fire starter and its transition from sweet and cuddly to something far more menacing.

Looking up, I'm really not seeing the 'looks like digimon' thing. I'm by no means an expert but the quality of lines are totally different between the two styles. Even when drawing spiky things, Pokemon look a lot rounder and softer than Digimon; it's a different system of stylization and you're very much on the Pokemon side of things.
Old September 30th, 2011, 03:52 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tente2 View Post
(Most of the spoilers are images, for some reason they won't shrink and them being so big is obnoxious...)

Sorry, my fault for not elaborating...

Firstly, the shading style isn't digimon, but it's most definetely not Sugimori (at least I don't see it that way). The color tones are sort of... intense. The color tones in the official artwork is more softer, I find these ones "hard".

Spoiler:

I compared Sinistrunk to to Shiftry, the most similar Pokemon I could think of. See the difference?

Of course, the simplistic shading magnifies this. Still, I feel the Sugimori tones are harmonius, but these are strong and sort of battle for attention. I have a few more examples.

Spoiler:

Another thing, apart from the harsh tones, are the random color combinations on some of these. In pokemon, the colors on a pokemon are considered and coordinated to be (once again) harmonius, but here it feels (on some pokemon, others were better) you stuck them on randomly to grab attention, which is VERY characteristic of Digimon.

It hurts my eyes!

Spoiler:
Although, to be fair, they have since updated the Susanomon artwork to be not so bright and it actually looks good. But Digimon Frontier used really bright colors, and it was hideous.

Another issue with detail is the seemingly random patterns on some.
Spoiler:

Whenever you felt a pokemon was sort of empty, you put a bunch of paterns on (in a few cases, in colors that disrupt the color scheme). Sound familiar?
Spoiler:

(Just to make this clear: the following isn't directed at your designs, it's just explaining why I don't like the patterns. You barely overdesign a few, and the rest are fine.)

I feel this greatly disrupts the 'natural' theme I get from Pokemon. Most of the pokemon feel more or less realistic. Obviously, I don't mean Rattata realistic (that's just unorginal) or that floating dream-eating tapirs are realistic, but they aren't overachievers. They know not to overdesign a pokemon and to keep the design fairly simplistic.

Next, answering the "do you think the new pokemon look like digimon" question: absolutely not. The differences aren't from generation to generation, but from Sugimori to yours. I think the reasons above explain that.

Lastly, the "do any particular designs remind you of digimon?" question.
I'm kind of short on time won't go in depth with all, but here's one I found...coincidental.

Spoiler:

Dude, now that's a response :D

I do see the intensity of the colors being too high, and the fact you picked Sinistrunk as example is a confirmation, as its been bothering me for a long time.
There was a point when I thought "why do I bother about the colors being too saturated if I don't care about the shading not being even close to sugimoris style, my focus is the design, shapes and the color choices and combinations..". For example way back, like 3 years, when I made Cycadino, after it was done, I have tried changing it so the colors are less intense about 5 times, hence why its so light green. You can see it was actually quite a dark tone of green from it's sprite I made one time

I will go through the myoto fakemon and adjust them a bit soon as I don't like the current saturation on a few others myself.

As for the color combinations, they are not random, at all.
I mean I didnt just go for whatever colors.
Even when I'm already sure on the perfect combination for a fakemon Im currently working on for weeks already, when its done, I still try changing the Hue of each color around to see how it would look in comparison.

Look at the examples you picked again. If these are the worse you found, I think I'm doing fine. Snowg has white-lightblue-blue-purple, which is totally fine. Swimroach with its blue-orange contrast, yea it's harsh, but we've seen such before,

Magneans blue stripes however really may be too much. My inspiration were the main legends of Ruby/Sapphire.

The patterns are a regular part of pokemon designs just as much.

I actually have a folder on my desktop with sugimori artworks and sugimori artwork sheets sorted by types etc, which I browse through quite a lot, especially when I'm concerned that I'm going too far with something on a particular fakemon. And I thought I spend too much time on all overanalyzing of the official ones instead of making the actual art lol.

Thanks very much for the post, it did show me some things I didn't notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charicific View Post
Oh My Arceus!
Look man, I'll go straight forward to the point. You shouldn't feel down if your art is criticized, creating one Pokemon is one HUGE task. It needs tons of creativity and consideration. You must feel proud, you just designed idk..r they 100? Anyway, 100 designing isn't an instant. Its something extremely difficult. I do agree with the above poster that adding patterns was a way to hide their emptiness, it is not appealing but I DONT CARE. Creating a basic Pokemon is harder than it may seem. You did a very good job, keep it up....
I dont feel down at all from it being criticized, it's just depressing when the only criticism you get in months doesn't remotely help to figure out how I could improve, and even includes an imitation of a digimon theme song.

Thank you :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpalyce View Post
I believe I glanced at this on another forum, and now that I'm taking the time to slow down and look at all of it, I'm very impressed!

You do a very good job of capturing the Pokemon style: reminiscent of real-world creatures, but not overwhelmingly so; unique yet intuitively familiar at the same time. I really like the Fire starter and its transition from sweet and cuddly to something far more menacing.

Looking up, I'm really not seeing the 'looks like digimon' thing. I'm by no means an expert but the quality of lines are totally different between the two styles. Even when drawing spiky things, Pokemon look a lot rounder and softer than Digimon; it's a different system of stylization and you're very much on the Pokemon side of things.
Im curious, do you mean Bunnignite or Fluemur?
I had the feeling Bunnignite was always like the neglected one of the myoto starters looking at multiple poll results but not sure why..

Thanks for checking them out closer, Ive put quite some time into this hobby of mine and Ill try completing Urora too, which should be a harder task with my oldest, most remade and original ideas used up for Myoto and the higher goal number.
Old December 17th, 2011, 07:07 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

#043(803) --lv.18@night-> Packoon - Bug
#044(804) -- --lv.24@day-> Flutterbow - Bug / Psychic
#045(805) --lv.18@day-> Pupouch - Bug
#046(806) -- --lv.24@night-> Grimoth - Bug / Dark

something new after a long time xD

Last edited by MiTjA; December 18th, 2011 at 04:35 AM.
Old January 7th, 2012, 04:45 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Added Lovrine in part II
http://saiph-charon.deviantart.com/a...rine-278036276
Old January 8th, 2012, 02:17 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

#030(790) -- Muddiwog - Ground
#031(791) --lv.25-> Tremoorog - Ground
#032(792) -- --Sand Stone-> Quakroak - Ground / Fight
Old January 8th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Haxorus
Ononokusu

Nature: Adamant
I really love your art, the fire starters look awesome. Keep up the good work!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here