The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

View Poll Results: Which starter would you choose?
Cycadino-Cycasaur-Petaldon 29 51.79%
Bunnignite-Rabblaze-Rabburst 9 16.07%
Finsh-Eddylphin-Maelstream 18 32.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted January 8th, 2012 (06:12 AM).
Volcanix769
Known as the Quilava Guy!

Nature: Careful
This looks good. And if it said 100%, then why don't you show a download version? I really want to play it.
Old Posted January 8th, 2012 (12:24 PM).
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to MiTjA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanix769 View Post
This looks good. And if it said 100%, then why don't you show a download version? I really want to play it.
Cause its art gallery, not a game hack :3
Old Posted January 10th, 2012 (12:57 AM).
Trent_Jayir
Who the hell do you think i am

Nature: Hardy
Hi there. ~
So much work! I'm impressed how dedicated you are to this project! Wow...

I've a couple of thoughts though...

You say you're trying to emulate Sugimoris style but I think you might not be actually looking and what he draws and how he draws hard enough to really do it justice.
(Though I personally think developing your own style would be best, I understand what you're aiming for so I'll just crit there)

I'm not trying to offend you by saying that, so please don't feel hurt!
I think you might be using the baize tool, or something similar to create your lines? If you are, I think you should stop, and start actually drawing your lines. It may look worst at first but I can guarantee it'll make it better overall. Even if you're not using a tool like that... The problem with your lines at the moment is they are all gentle curves. There's no variation to create interest or give the mons a sense of form. It doesn't do your sense of proportion any justice at all, and that's never good :'(

I'd also like to say, try varying the line width (just look at sugimoris stuff for this) the line changes thickness and tapers off in various places, so it looks more natural and like what you're trying to achieve. That will help you alot, too.

I guess that would be it, for me. The volume of work you've produced is incredible, but I'd really like to see you take it to the next level.

All the best. :')
Old Posted January 10th, 2012 (06:47 AM). Edited January 10th, 2012 by MiTjA.
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Thanks for the comment :3

I am not trying to mimic the Sugimori style, hence why the shading is simple and lineart thicker than on actual quality pokemon art. Its so I can focus on making interesting designs and concepts. (also progress is slow enough even without trying to do it better than this).

I was gonna try to do some, but even if it turns out good, I dont think Id remake the 130 in it and do the upcoming 130 in anything more compley than current approach.

Not sure how to properly describe what Im doing, but Im trying to make fakemon which fit next to the actual pokemon, if sugimori or someone redid them into the same style.
I want the same quality of interesting combinations of shapes, colors, patterns, ideas and concepts.

So I get that Im not looking at "how he draws", but did you mean "what he draws" too?
Cause then its a complete disaster and I might as well start anew XD
If my fakemon don't look like pokemon (apart from the style not matching), THATs what I would want feedback about, so please elaborate if thats the case.

Oh and if you wanna know how I do the lineart, its probably the crappiest way ever:
I scan the sketch when it looks good and close enough to what I imagined it, then I go over it with the line tool in photoshop; meaning I drag hundreds of short lines one after another :B
Old Posted January 10th, 2012 (07:57 AM).
Trent_Jayir
Who the hell do you think i am

Nature: Hardy
To be honest I haven't analysed pokemon design enough to comment on any concepts, but on a basic level I'd just say that your fakemon are a mixed bag in that respect, some of them look very much like things I can imagine being pokemon, and others not so much.

I can't help but feel that some of that has to do with the choice of colour and tone. Some of the more successful designs are less saturated and the eye design is simpler. But in that respect that's all I can offer you. Like I say, I've never analysed it. Sorry that may not be very useful, but I'm trying my best to help you.

The 'what he draws' only meant 'how he draws what he draws' but since you've disregarded the Sugi related comments I made on that with 'style' I don't think discussing that any further is a good idea.

Instead I'll say I think that your style is a little mismatched. The lines are bulky and solid, but your shading is soft, I'm going to just say, read the bit I said before about working on your lineart here. Because I'd still say it again.

I can't understand why when you hand-draw all of these anyway you go over them in the line tool. Like I said before, the constant gentle curves don't do the form of the mons any justice; you should have variation in both thickness and dynamics. The line tool is hard to control, hand drawing the lineart, traditionally or digitally will make it better and since you start out with that anyway that should be easy for you to handle. :')

Well, good luck, I have nothing else to suggest for you!
Old Posted January 10th, 2012 (11:27 AM).
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

I never said Im imitating sugimoris style, I only said on the previous page that I'm not.

I use the line tool cause I haven't figured out any easier way to keep the hand drawn curves accurate. I dont like to further mess with the physical sketch once I like it (like going over with a pen or similar...)
Old Posted January 10th, 2012 (12:10 PM).
Sheep
sheep x steven OTP

Nature: Timid
What caught my attention most were your badges. They're very sleek and pretty and I adore the designs! My favorite is probably the badge with the two mountains - for the ground gym, I assume? :3

You've got some super cool fakemon here; I think my favorite is Fluekos and the fire starter. I'm normally not a fan of fire types but yours are very likeable :D Also, I love your additions to the Kangaskhan line. Kanganile in particular is adorable!

Can't wait to see more!

da best | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3 LV
Avatar & Signature by Achromatic
Old Posted January 15th, 2012 (12:45 PM).
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

:D

#016(776) -- Woorm - Ground / Bug
#025(785) -- Zazzy - Electric
Old Posted January 22nd, 2012 (01:25 PM).
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

#026(786) --lv.16-> Teslap - Electric / Fight

Finished figuring out what Uroradex will contain
http://saiph-charon.deviantart.com/a...plan-280774383
Old Posted January 23rd, 2012 (01:56 PM).
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

#017(777) --lv.21-> Vermiquake - Ground / Bug
Old Posted January 27th, 2012 (03:23 AM). Edited January 28th, 2012 by MiTjA.
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

#027(787) -- --lv.36-> Volchop - Electric / Fight

EDIT:
And a Skwirly
#012(772) -- Skwirly - Normal

EDIT2:
http://saiph-charon.deviantart.com/a...eeks-281846147

EDIT3:
#021(781) -- Nidocony - Poison
Old Posted January 30th, 2012 (03:57 PM).
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

I was bored and made this:
Spoiler:

Note: the opponent pkmn is a grass starter of another fakemon artist
Old Posted February 1st, 2012 (04:12 PM).
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

#011(771) --lv.15-> Sneakrat - Normal / Dark
Old Posted February 2nd, 2012 (01:16 AM).
Ciz
La la la ♪

Nature: Careful
Your Pokemon Art is awesome. Plus the badges . You're impressive. You should coordinate with a Game Developer or Hacker and make this version. :D

C i Z
Old Posted February 2nd, 2012 (05:39 AM).
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

^-^

Would take alot of ppl, and those that can do it usually want to do their own stuff though :D

And even then I don't think theres many such projects that actually get finished
Old Posted February 3rd, 2012 (03:46 PM).
Sheep
sheep x steven OTP

Nature: Timid
Awesome updates! I especially love the VS image you posted with the grass starters; Petaldon's pose looks really cool. =D

Sneakrat also looks good, though my only issue is that its arms and feet (mainly arms) look a little flat... kind of like a cutout. But even so, I love its design and smile, adds to the personality. :3! Nice work!

da best | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3 LV
Avatar & Signature by Achromatic
Old Posted February 6th, 2012 (09:14 AM).
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

#040(800) -- Vulpsi - Psychic
Old Posted February 8th, 2012 (02:28 AM).
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

#022(782) --lv.18-> Nidohare - Poison
Old Posted February 9th, 2012 (04:02 AM).
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

#041(801) --lv.26-> Prophoxy - Psychic
Old Posted March 2nd, 2012 (03:20 PM). Edited March 2nd, 2012 by MiTjA.
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

#033(793) -- Sardwift - Water
#034(794) --lv.20-> Tunarch - Water

It'll evolve another time as
Theres currently no 3 stage aquatic pokemon *gasp*
Old Posted March 5th, 2012 (07:10 AM).
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

#035(795) -- --lv.40-> Marlord - Water
Old Posted March 10th, 2012 (01:59 AM). Edited March 10th, 2012 by MiTjA.
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

:3

#133 -- Eevee - Normal
#753 --lv@Wind Rock-> Galeon - Flying

This is essentially blasphemy, or as close as it gets, since I'm probably the number one person to try talking people out of making eeveelutions that don't make sense.

Because the concept behind Eevee is that it is a perfectly normal pet-like pokemon,
which upon exposure to a pure source of elemental energy undergoes a complete transformation, essentially fully gaining said elemental abilities.
That's what Eevee has always been about. And that's why I still stand at calling "********" whenever I see people make ones for silly types (especially Bug, Ghost, Dragon). I mean, what's it gonna be exposed to; a beetle rock, feel the aura of insectness and turn into a different kind of animal? Go and make a new pokemon that evolves into different species then, Eevee was never meant to do that.

The other types could be argued about (Ground/Rock/Steel, Fight/Poison), but my main counterargument is that these don't have that certain elemental feel, they're too much about physical stuff/minerals and startegy/technique.

So how the heck did I get to Flying?
Obviously anyone sticking wings on an Eevee and changing its colour is just as silly as any of the above.
It's Normal/Flying by all means in that case.
If a freaking balloon and a dragon with clouds for wings don't justify being true Flying pokemon, then a winged rodent doesn't even remotely.

One really core element has always been Wind. But there is no Wind type in Pkmn. For a good reason though. There simply isn't much you can do with it that wouldn't just as well fit into a few other types. There's things like Leaf Tornado and Leaf Storm, which would obviously stay Grass even if Wind existed as a type. Same if there was Sandstorm-esque moves etc. It's more of a side-effect or an extra. Just like light could be an attribute of Electric or even Fire (And Flash is Normal, with the only pkmn learning it being a Bug type, Volbeat..), making it a type doesn't make sense with how types are set up.

But moves that incorporate wind, but have zero relation with any actual type, the move does usually end up with being Flying, but even here you have exceptions like Whirlwind and Razor Wind where Normal seems to work just fine.

Thinking about all this, making an eeveelution whose look would not scream "Normal/Flying!" seemed like a big challenge. The result is Galeon.
Old Posted March 12th, 2012 (08:48 AM).
Limanya
Page of Breath

Nature: Docile
I like the fire starter, it's original because the water starter looks too much like Totodile/Mudkip and the grass starter looks too much like Treecko.
Old Posted March 12th, 2012 (03:29 PM).
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Anything particular besides number of limbs and green/blue color? .o.
Old Posted March 15th, 2012 (07:41 AM).
mineox100
Hey.

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mineox100 Send a message via Skype™ to mineox100
Wow! Everything looks super awesome! The region maps even look official!

Plus, how did make those badges? I tried making some and they turned out horrible.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links