Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime > Episode Discussion

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Episode Discussion Whether you want to speculate about the upcoming episodes or reminisce about the episodes you watched years ago, Episode Discussion is your place for discussing, speculating, and reviewing all the Pokémon anime episodes.

Old April 9th, 2011 (10:02 AM).
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~

Episode 10: "A Rival Battle for Club Champ!"

Share your thoughts on the episode...

Old April 9th, 2011 (12:40 PM).
ZeroX5

Nature: Modest
Like all other main rivalries in this show..be it with Drew, Zoey, or Paul the main character won't beat their rival unit a major tournament. Except in Dawn's case she never actually managed to beat Zoey.

Too bad Trip is boring as all hell, and not interesting like Paul was.
Old April 9th, 2011 (04:02 PM).
Gumball Watterson
, Not-a-PhD
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Trip sounds so much more like an ass in the dub >__> Maybe it's cause I can understand his taunting now.

Oh, "Are all the trainers from the Kanto region boonies just like you?", and the fact that Unova is based on New York shows SUCH an interesting fact >__>

But I swear, if Ash's Maturity were a function, it's 4th derivative is pretty damn low right now. That's not good.
Old April 10th, 2011 (02:17 AM).
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
Heh, an interesting episode indeed, I did however think Ash failed...

Heh, Iris; "You scared me to death"

Nice to see Trip again, although I just see him as a dimmed out version of Paul, he is an interesting character and I would like more back story off him like paul. But we're only a few episode in so it doesn't have to come any time soon.

Loved it when Iris called Trip a little kid or well, "big talkers like him". xD

Don George is really cool, I love him/them. Couldn't thay have at least just kept him to one person, like Scott or something - the whole duplicates of Joy's, Jenny's and now Don George are kinda boring now.

/A little Xtransceiver promotion for the games...

I wonder what gym the other Badge Trip had could have been from, he didn't show it off or anything so it could just be any made up gym for the anime. :\

Oshawott and Tepig V Tranquill was handled terribly. I don't see why Ash couldn't have sent out Pikachu first, as Tepig could have eased off Servine a bit too, though I am still glad Pikachu eventually beat Tranquill anyway.

Heh, I "lol'd" at "Who's that Pokémon. You see Trip send out Servine and say "You'll never be able to beat my Servine" and then it, it's self say "Servine" Ash say "a Servine?" and then it repeat it's name again "Serrrr vine" and then eventually "who's that Pokémon"..........Servine... xD Though I have to admit I found Servines voice kinda cute and bumpity. :D

That Team Rocket guy, "Piers" was it? He's obviously voiced by Dan Green. o.O

I loved Snivy against Servine, I love it when it uses Attract, ti just makes it so damn adorable. I think i'm under it's Attract right now. :|

I laughed when Frillish used Water Pulse on Pidove and it hit the window and you could hear the squeak as it slowly scraped down it. xD

Ash do however suck thoughout the match, Trip was obviously the better trainer, but I guess that what the writers want to keep in mind.

I loved Iris's outbreak when Ash told Snivy to use vine whip on Frillish.
Over all she called Ash a kid Twice in this episode and once to Trip. So she said it 3 times this ep, I don't care much of her saying it I loved her for called Trip one and persuading him to battle Ash.

Old April 10th, 2011 (04:08 AM).
yossarian
Knight of Cydonia

I realise that Ash is meant to become a noob once again this series but that was just pathetic. He got owned so easily.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmvnXKRfdb8&feature=related
Old April 10th, 2011 (08:31 AM).
joacen
Starter Pokemon: Oshawott

Just a few seconds into the episode and Iris calls Ash "a kid." I have nothing more to say. I'm just fed up with her constant put-downers.

Does every one of Ash's rivals have to be snotty, stuck-up, and have an over-inflated ego? Tripp is so arrogant. Why can't we have another rival like Ritchie? He may have been one of Ash's competitors, but he was very friendly towards Ash. He was never arrogant like Gary, Paul, and Tripp.

I think this is the weakest I've ever seen Ash in the beginning of a season. He should really start bringing along his other Pokemon from previous regions whenever he starts a new journey.

John, Paul, George, and Ringo: The Fab Four
Old April 10th, 2011 (09:23 AM).
masterquestmq
Enthusiastic Rom Hacker

Yes it's true, a few min in and Iris is already calling Ash a kid, gets a lil boring HOWEVER, lets not forget it was Iris who got ash the match with Trip in the first place courtesy of her famous yet annoying kid line.

It was a roughly a good episode the only thing that bugs me is the one hit KO it thought they got rid of this after the Hoenn region. (i mean each D/p series battle was tactical and great to watch) going through 3 pokemon in 2 min is soooooo boring. nevertheless Pikachu records his first official victory in the Unova region and it only took 10 episodes

what does dissapoint me is the fact that the writers COMPLETELY reset Ash's battle skills... i mean lvls cool I can live with, but battle skills... HES SUCH A KID

I also like Team Rocket's small cameos... for the first time they leave me guessing. btw this new agent looks likes Tobias's brother don't you think? I mean they gotta be related

This Trip guy seems like an even bigger jerk than Paul... never thought i see the day I would say that

episode rating: 3/5

p/s heres what i thought should of happened

Trip: Lets have a 6 on 6 match
Ash: I only have 5 Pokemon
Trip: Well guess we won't be battling
Ash: Hang on. (calls up Charizard frm the Johto Region)
bout 3 hrs later Charizard arrives and kicks all of Trip's Pokemon within 3 min! Charizard ownege YEAH!!!!
Old April 10th, 2011 (01:52 PM).
TheFuturePokemon
Natural.....

Quote originally posted by masterquestmq:
bout 3 hrs later Charizard arrives and kicks all of Trip's Pokemon within 3 min! Charizard ownege YEAH!!!!
Ikr. Ash says he only has 5 pokemon but he actually has more at Oak's lab. He could've just transferred one over.
Old April 10th, 2011 (02:00 PM).
yossarian
Knight of Cydonia

Quote originally posted by joacen:
I think this is the weakest I've ever seen Ash in the beginning of a season.
Easily. And by a large margin. It's just so bad.

Half his Pokemon got taken out in one move, they posed no threat. No sign of any innovative new moves or utilising the strengths of each Pokemon. It was just so pathetic. As I said I realise they are resetting him but they've gone way too far. He could at least be competitive, not surrender so meekly in battles.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Old April 10th, 2011 (02:04 PM).
King Of The Blues
Still got the Blues, For you.

Nature: Quiet
Meh, an alright episode. I know that the Unova series is meant to be like a new beginning but I just hate how stupid Ash is and everything. I also hate Trip. Can't stand him. I hate him more then other people hate Iris' favourite quotation, "What a kid".

I'll give the episode, a poor, 1/5.
Old April 10th, 2011 (02:17 PM).
yossarian
Knight of Cydonia

Quote originally posted by King Of The Blues:
Meh, an alright episode. I know that the Unova series is meant to be like a new beginning but I just hate how stupid Ash is and everything. I also hate Trip. Can't stand him. I hate him more then other people hate Iris' favourite quotation, "What a kid".

I'll give the episode, a poor, 1/5.
I know it's very early but so far I haven't felt the chemistry between the new trio. The group bonding seems very forced and contrived.

It also doesn't help that Ash's current VA sucks. If Veronica Taylor did Ash's voice in the style of Kanto/Johto then I'm certain his reactions to Iris's put downs would be a lot more funnier and more noticeble which in turn would make Iris "What a Kid" comment less annoying. At the moment it's very pointless.

Old April 11th, 2011 (03:06 AM).
X Latios

Nature: Quiet
That was....bad. The most interesting part of that episode was the Team Rocket bit. Servine's voice is terrible and Trip is just a more annoying Paul. Hopefully this demolition will see Ash do some training since he badly needs it. That's two episodes in a row Iris has called Ash a kid within the first minute as well, she did redeem herself by calling Trip one though

Use Soul Silver unless otherwise stated
Old April 17th, 2011 (09:32 AM). Edited April 19th, 2011 by Bluerang1.
Bluerang1
pin pin

Nature: Relaxed
I totally documented my thoughts at each point. But the system that's on has issues so I can't post them xD Nice episode though. I liked the discussion of abilities. Trip's Pokemon were great, Frillish was awesome. Snivy, always a star. Scenes before he battle seemed awkward though. And lol, Trip's speedy appearance. I also wonder what Team Rocket are up to, they made a cool escape, but their mission is dragging, keeping us in suspense I guess.

EDIT: Got the thoughts:
Spoiler:
-Unfit Iris and Cilan
-ZOMG! Trip! T__________T
iLove the opening theme song now =3
-Should have been a Rival Battle Club!
-Who's that Trainer?!
-Lol @Axew's face
-n00b Ash
-Stop raging mate
-Trip is fast. I like him xD
-Shuddup about "basic"
-No honestly, what's Trip wearing?!
-Ash, Pikachu, an Electric type, is right next to you...
-Trip is sikk!!! :D
-Tepig's cute when it loses.
-Ambush
-Throh is a Pokemon, not a move. Such a kid.
-Tranquil sounded funny xD
-Wait honestly, do the directors of Who's That Pokemon take kids for idiots or something?
-Yeah, Servine's cry sucks, in the game as well, it's annoying >!<
-I found what Jenny said funny also x3
-Jetpacks, nice.
-Man knows nothing about type advantages. This is what happen when he lacks Brock.
-Ah, I saw attract coming. So that's how it beat Frillish?
-SNIVY!!! :D
-It's so Smug =3
-LOLOLOLOL!!!! Water Pulse xD Poor Pidove.
-I like this Frillish But poor Snivy D=
-Stars in their eyes♪
Old April 19th, 2011 (07:35 PM).
rstevenson1976
The Eevee-Loution Master

Location: USA GMT-5 so keep that in mind when trading with me
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to rstevenson1976 Send a message via Yahoo to rstevenson1976
Quote originally posted by yossarian:
Easily. And by a large margin. It's just so bad.

Half his Pokemon got taken out in one move, they posed no threat. No sign of any innovative new moves or utilising the strengths of each Pokemon. It was just so pathetic. As I said I realise they are resetting him but they've gone way too far. He could at least be competitive, not surrender so meekly in battles.
especially to tripp, I mean c'mon! what's up game freek! give Ash some backbone already!!!!
oh my god! my account still exists in this kiddie pool? guess what! these mods you are all bowing down to? they're all kids themselves! I swear it's like a real adult working at burger world and bowing down to the acne faced dweeb that is doing his high school homework in his little office while yelling at you to clean out the grease trap! it's just a freaking game!!!! eventually you will all grow out of it!!! see you in the real world. I'm out!!!
Old April 22nd, 2011 (12:50 PM). Edited April 22nd, 2011 by fenyx4.
fenyx4
X does Y WITH AUTHORITY!

Nature: Timid
Almost caught up! Too bad this episode was a bit disappointing... :[

Review of BW010, A Rival Battle For Club Champ!

Comments:

-Geez...Ash just runs into a random Battle Club and immediately starts touching the machines without consideration for the place..

-"You are such a kid." IRIS. PLEASE STOP IT. NOW.
--"You scared me to death!" As other commenters have said, only "kids" would be scared to death, Iris. (and really, it was just a brief gasp of exclamation! Nothing to fret about..)

-WTF. The title doesn't even make sense! Is this supposed to be a pun? Forget A Sandile Gusher of Change - where the eff does this title come from?? :cer_confused: Has currently assumed the spot for weirdest. Episode Title. Ever.

-Aww..Iris looked so cute when she was inquiring about who Trip was..clenching her fists and swinging them outward so innocently. :3

-"Alright! I'm gonna get to battle Trip again!" -Ash
Ugh; the line delivery for that was horrible!

-"Cross-Transceiver..." so redundant... I mean, the prefix trans means "across". Cross-Across Transceiver? :cer_confused:

-Ergh...Ash sounds like some little annoying goody-goody nub kid that keeps on wanting to battle Trip.

-Even Trip pointed out how flawed it was for Pikachu to lose to an inexperienced Snivy. IN-SHOW.

-Ash looked so stupid shaking the machine he was talking to Trip through. OK, I would definitely agree with Iris on this instance - Ash is "SUCH A KID". :cer_no:

-LOL at Trip remarking Ash as a loudmouth.

-Ash only has 5 Pokemon right now? Whoa...I thought he had achieved the maximum 6-party limit.. And WTF; couldn't he just pull a Pokemon from Professor Oak's Lab and sweep the opponent's Pokemon? Or it could even be an underused Pokemon, instead, to balance things out. Jeez.
(I'd prefer it if he just called Charizard from Charicific Valley and whupped Trip's butt by one-shotting Trip's Pokemon, to demonstrate Ash's true "supposed" skill.)

-WOW ONE BADGE ASH. That doesn't excuse your party's number!

-There's that "boonies" term again...I thought it was supposed to refer to location, rather than a type of person...

-OH GOSH....thank you, Iris! Well-placed "big talker=little kid" jab that was directed at and managed to irk Trip; fitting for an up-and-coming Gym Leader. And she looked so hot in that scene as well. :cer_love:

-Oy...Ash, your foe is a Flying-type. Start out with PIKACHU, an Electric-type Pokemon. I mean, Oshawott's cool and all, but consider the type matchups...

-HEY AERIAL ACE IS ONLY SUPPOSED TO BE ONE HIT, NOT TWO - TRIP'S CHEATING WITH HIS TRANQUILL! >:[

-W. T. F. Oshawott was Critically-hit/Hit To Key by a ONE-hit-knockout Aerial Ace?! Oshawott got a poor showing... Thanks a lot, Ash.

-"Super Luck's not stopping us!" -Ash
Eh, we'll see, Mr. Aim For The Horn guy.

-Now you send out Tepig? It's cool and all, too, but SEND OUT PIKACHU!! Your Pokemon just got freaking 1HKO'd!!!! By Aerial Ace!

-"Now use Work Up!" -Trip
"QUILL QUILL QUILL QUILL QUILL" *glows red* -Trip's Tranquill
"What's that?" -Ash
"It's a MOVE." -Cilan

:cer_laugh: :cer_laugh: :cer_laugh: Yeah, Cilan followed up with more words in his explanation right after, but the big pause he made rendered this line so much funnier, like he was Captain Obvious. XD :cer_laugh:

-Ugh...Tranquill dodges the Embers and 1HKOs Tepig with haxx-(orus) Aerial Ace! Darn it! And it looked so disappointed!

-FINALLY!! Pikachu can tag in. About time; what was the delay? @_@

-Whoa...the Unova Police must be on top of things to ambush Team Rocket like that!

-YES!! Pikachu's first KO of the Unova region! And a satisfying one as well, involving a neat throw followed up by Volt Tackle! Though personally, I think it would've made more sense for Pikachu to grab Tranquill and electrocute it with Thunderbolt while still grabbing its talon. Close-range damage, and ensures that Tranquill doesn't manage to get away.

-Eww; Servine's male voice is horrible! T_T And the thing looks female! -.-

-LOL...so many "Servine" utterances right before the "Who's That Pokemon?" segment airs. XD

-Yikes...Servine defeated Pansear, a Pokemon with type advantage against it.. *gulps*

-A disguised Dan Green appeared! Yay! (I found out he voiced the agent afterwards, but it's still cool. )

-Geez...the Unova Police went from cool to incompetent so quickly...you'd think they'd have a formidable Pokemon that could use Fly for aerial pursuits.

-Pierce...cool name, and nice design as well. I was wondering whether we would have three Flints in the Pokemon universe. XD Wouldn't have been that bad, I think...then again, I tend to dislike characters sharing names...

-Despite all of its experience, poor Pikachu lost. TO CUT. :cer_pissed: I'm just going to reiterate this post:

Quote originally posted by fenyx4:

MY. GOSH.

Ash's Pikachu lost. To CUT. (in BW010) Not only is this an insult to the Latios that Pikachu beat in the Lily of the Valley league, it's an insult to the Electric Mouse Pokemon legacy that has lasted for ~13-14 years. I mean, Pikachu got in a very nice and satisfying Volt Tackle KO against Tranquill (IIRC, his first KO on any Pokemon since Best Wishes started), but this loss is/was just embarrassing. And it's partly Ash's fault, because he should have started out with Pikachu, and then switch to Tepig once Servine was sent out upon Tranquill's defeat. And yes, I consider Pikachu Level 100 - he just fluctuates abnormally...a lot.

I weep for you, Pikachu...may your "Aim 4 teh h0rn!!!11!!" days come back soon. Quickly.
--Also, this from YouTube:
Quote:
Seriously. Pikachu could tie with a Latios in the last league and yet lose to a Servine? That's an insult to Latios. >.>

WaitingxWish
-If it weren't for Ash's "plan", I would have yelled at him again. His "plan" could've been better, though. It would have failed greatly if Trip's Servine was female...

-LOL...a lovestruck Servine getting thoroughly/harshly whipped by its unrequited lover, Smugleaf. XD So sad/cruel, yet slightly amusing with the "lovestruck eyes".

-WHY does Snivy have three Grass-type moves? And all "not very effective" against Servine, no less. Snivy was lucky that Pikachu somewhat fatigued Trip's Servine.

-Ash switched at an...odd time. Pidove could have been much useful earlier on...

-Frillish's voice is nice/somewhat cute.

-Yikes...Water Pulse looks quite painful, and reminiscent of the Water Prison Jutsu from the Naruto series... *shudders*

-LOL at the "washed window" sound effect when Pidove wiped against the window in defeat. Ugh...a 1HKO was expected... :\

-"Yeah! Snivy, keep it up!" -cocky!Ash
*state of horror* "...What's wrong, Snivy?" -Ash
*cue brain-dead-looking Snivy*

*shudders, horrified*

-"[Cursed Body explanation] You are such a little kid for not knowing that!" -Iris

The voice during that outburst was a bit...odd yet intriguing...the "little kid" usage in the line was funny, though.

-And yet more direct attacks against Trip's Frillish with Cursed Body. OMG, Ash.

-"ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU" (Trip) :]

-Hex's depiction looks creepy...and Trip's look while he was explaining its effect looks even creepier. #_#

-It's unsettling to see the BA and persistent Smugleaf/Ash's Snivy reduced to such a traumatized state.

-Another jab at Ash from Trip, not to mention one at Ash's Pokemon... :< Ugh..I'm disgusted that Ash's other Pokemon got poor showings, aside from Pikachu and Snivy who showed promise...

-"After all, battling is basic for a Trainer." -Trip
As harsh as it sounds, Trip's right.

-I love Iris's hair and the way it drapes behind her back! :3

-That's TWO losses for Ash now against a greenhorn Trainer...in the beginning of the episode, I actually thought Ash would win this one. But this loss is disgraceful to his team.

2.5/5 Ash's battling ability is quite suckish. It took Pikachu this long just to get its first Unova region KO, and even then, said victory against Tranquill is severely dampened when Ash's Pikachu loses to Trip's Servine's CUT attack. I was dismayed by this episode, but it slightly redeemed itself in a few ways... Iris just had one irking moment early on in the episode for me; otherwise, she was pretty much amazing, especially her jab at Trip using none other than her renowned catchphrase. :3
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links