Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games
Reload this Page Pokemon Shadowgale

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old April 9th, 2011 (06:19 PM). Edited April 19th, 2011 by Turtwig26.
The Omniponent

Pokemon ShadowGale

STORY

Pokemon Shadowgale Story 1
Spoiler:
Beginning:
It is the first day of 8th grade in Pokemon School. Every new 8th grader gets a pokemon, whether it is rattata or a hoothoot. Unfortunately, Mrs. Kelly runs out of starters so she directs you to the pokemon research lab to get a pokemon. She tells you of a secret underground passage that leads underground to the lab so that you don’t run into any pokemon. Once you arrive at the lab, you choose one of three pokemon: Agwam, Searkit, or Plansith, and receive a pokedex. On your way back to your hometown however, you find that the underground passage is filled with people called Team Glyph. You see your childhood friend Ian there next to a weird looking pokemon. There are two orbs next to him. They both dissolve. A red one flows into your rival and a blue one flows into you. You then black out.
You wake up back in your house with your rival. Your rival tells you what happened after you fainted: The pokemon that was next to him, named septimon, made the orbs flow into each of you. Then, the leader of “Team Glyph”, Maximus, walked up to you two. He told Ian that the red orb was the orb of Dordrion and the blue orb was the orb of Mymoron. For some reason, the creator pokemon made the orbs flow into Ian and you. Maximus then left, muttering something about “Finding a mortal Host”. After telling you this, Ian tells you to meet him at the school again so they can talk to their teacher about it. Your teacher tells you the legend of Septimon, Mymoron, and Dordrion. A long time ago, Septimon, the creator pokemon, created Mymoron and Dordrion to balance out the power of Good and Evil. Dordrion was the shadow pokemon and Mymoron was the light pokemon. Soon, Mymoron and Dordrion began to fight because of their differences and were soon banished by Septimon into two orbs. Legend has it that they would be trapped until they found mortal hosts with enough potential to become stronger so that they would be able to fight again. Your teacher tells you that she thinks that the spirit of Dordrion is inside your rival and the Spirit of Mymoron is inside you. You rival then wonders why Septimon would want the two legendary pokemon to leave their orbs, and then battles you to test his strength. He then leaves, promising that he will fulfill Septimon’s wishes. Your teacher gives you the pokegear and the running shoes, and then tells you about the 8 gym leaders of Monai. They are each old and wise sages who have researched many different pokemon. Because Mymoron is a light type and your first goal is to figure out what this all means, you decide to go and challenge the first gym leader, the light type gym. As you begin your travels, you begin to hear about Team Glyph again, and everything seems to come together, but even as you realize more, people begin to change, and when the final plan is clear, it seems as if nobody will be able to stop the impending storm of the shadowgale.

SECOND STORY (I prefer this one personally)
Spoiler:

50 years have passed since Branden and May tamed Raquaza. Team Magma was finally defeated. In a region not to far away from Hoenn called Monai, they continue to thrive under the radar. They have been plotting revenge against Hoenn, but to do so, they need a power only spoken of in legend...

You have just turned 13 years old. You have never been very interested in pokemon. Your father is a pokemon researcher and your mother is the champion of Monai. You don't see your mother much, and recently, she has been very busy with pokemon league business. The last time you spoke to her, she even sounded different... Like something was bothering her. Your father is a pokemon researcher. On your birthday, your father decides to give you your first pokemon, telling you only to train it and respect it. he then gets an emergency call from the lab and has to leave. He tells you to meet him there so you can receive your pokemon. When you arrive, you find that the lab has been taken over by people dressed in red. They take your father and leave. But not all of them. Some of them stay and occupy the town for some reason. Because your town is very small and many of your teenage friends have left, you are chosen by your village to go and find out what has happened and why the pokemon researcher was taken. Because the last thing your dad told you to do was take a pokemon, you choose one and set off to the next town, where an old sage lives.

Instead of gyms, there are 6 wise sages that live throughout Monai. Defeating them is one way to receive a badges. You can also find badges in ruins or underwater. In my game, instead of gyms, there will be dojos where the sages train. The Elite Four will be able to be challenged in any order. Also, you will still defeat gyms and the Elite four, but for different reasons. The main team that will be the antagonists is Team Magma Reborn. They are under the lead of Maximus.

Screenshots
In the attachments

Credits
Poccil/Flameguru - Rpgmaker xp Starter kit
4thGenerationMatt - DPP Tilesets / Characters
Enterbrain - Rpgmaker XP
Venom12 - Starter Kit DS
Dorandragon-Fakemon Spriter
CNG - Tilesets from his starter kit
CNG - Neo Mode

Other Stuff

This game was made with Rpgmaker XP

TEAM:
Me: Creater, Eventer, Mapper, Storyline, Spriter (in training), Scripter (in training)

Reasons for making this game:
I decided to make this game to get better at scripting, spriting, and map making. Hopefully, I will receive some help with these topics but I'm planning for this game to be a mostly solo game. After I become better at scripting, spriting, and mapping, then I will make a game with possibly more fakemon (I don't know, sometimes fakemon take away from the whole "pokemon" feeling), and definately more features (like maybe something other than a pokegear, or a new pokedex system).

POSITIONS NEEDED:
Character Spriter: Overworld and Battle Sprites (PM me for exact dimensions)
Fakemon Spriter: Front / Back Battle sprites (Shiny and Regular) and Icons (again, PM me for exact dimensions)
Composer: For Fakemon Cries / City Music / Battle Music
Advanced Scripter: For adding in a world map function to the pokegear, customizing menu, customizing battle screen, etc.

SIGNING UP:
Just tell me your timezone, an example of your work, which position you are signing up for, and your username

ADDED FEATURES:
(1)New Starters, and new Legendaries. About 18 new fakemon (starters +3 new legendaries, and six new evolutions. I wont tell you the new evolutions, but at least one of them will be an Eeveelution)
(2)New Team: Team Glyph
(3)New Region: Monai
(4)Starters: Searkit, Agwam, Plansith
(5)New Battle System
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot1.png‎   Screenshot2.png‎   Screenshot3.png‎   Screenshot4.png‎   Screenshot6.png‎  

Click here to learn more
Old April 12th, 2011 (02:34 AM).
The Omniponent

Well? Any suggestions? Do you guys like the story?

PS: I'm not on my computer right now, but when I can get on it, I'll update the screenshots because I changed the houses to DP style ones.

Click here to learn more
Old April 12th, 2011 (03:26 AM).

Nature: Jolly
It all happens far, far too fast. If this Maximus guy had worked out everything at that point (which is unlikely enough in itself, considering he's making a huge amount of assumptions), why the heck would he capture the player's mother and not the two defenceless kids who contain the Essences. In fact, why capture anyone at all? Why are they even in the town when they're going to a cave? If I was Maximus, I'd save the fireworks for when I'd actually awakened the beasts. I'm also not sure why the player would think the fastest route to awakening one of the long-dead spirit Pokemon would be challenging a gym leader who happens to use the same type. Surely finding some kind of sage would be easier. How does this Ian kid know everything anyway? Why isn't he captured?

The light-shade duality is an interesting one, so good work there, but the "endless struggle" thing reeks of Hoenn and Sinnoh myth. More originality is always a good thing. And why is Latias here at all?

One more thing. Showing front walls, as you have done on your maps, is a bit unusual. Look at other interior maps and you'll see it's normally just black space.

Anyway, there's some thoughts. Hope they're helpful.
Old April 12th, 2011 (10:15 AM).
The Omniponent

Quote originally posted by NikNaks:
It all happens far, far too fast. If this Maximus guy had worked out everything at that point (which is unlikely enough in itself, considering he's making a huge amount of assumptions), why the heck would he capture the player's mother and not the two defenceless kids who contain the Essences. In fact, why capture anyone at all? Why are they even in the town when they're going to a cave? If I was Maximus, I'd save the fireworks for when I'd actually awakened the beasts. I'm also not sure why the player would think the fastest route to awakening one of the long-dead spirit Pokemon would be challenging a gym leader who happens to use the same type. Surely finding some kind of sage would be easier. How does this Ian kid know everything anyway? Why isn't he captured?

The light-shade duality is an interesting one, so good work there, but the "endless struggle" thing reeks of Hoenn and Sinnoh myth. More originality is always a good thing. And why is Latias here at all?

One more thing. Showing front walls, as you have done on your maps, is a bit unusual. Look at other interior maps and you'll see it's normally just black space.

Anyway, there's some thoughts. Hope they're helpful.
Thanks for your advice. First off, why he captured the player's mother, I can't tell you. Thats one of the main plotlines of the game. Secondly, why he didn't capture the kids, is for me to know and for you to find out. For your question about the cave, I forgot to tell you: the entrance to the cave is [I]inside[I] the town. I also forgot to mention that the gym leaders are different in Monai. They are sort of like sages in the way that they are chosen because they research the different types of pokemon that they specialize in. Whenever someone needs help on a specific pokemon, they can go to a gym leader, but they must battle them first to prove that they are worthy. Ian knows about the legend because Maximus told him. Why Maximus told him, again, is for me to know and for you to find out. As the story progresses, Ian begins to change because of what Maximus tells him. It's all part of Maximus' plan.

Now, to address the part about Maximus' assumptions: I'm going to change that part. I'll make it so that they find the two essences, but then, the essences fuse themselves with you and Ian because they have been without a moral host for much to long and they sense potential in you. Maximus is surprised but then leaves the cave muttering something about the Void. The rest of Team Glyph follows him. Then, when you go back home, Ian talks to you about the legend and what just happens, battles you to test his strength, and then leaves, promising to make the legend come true so that he will be the master of the shadow.

Click here to learn more
Old April 13th, 2011 (05:15 PM).
The Omniponent

Okay guys, I just edited the story again. I'm not getting many replies... Is my game just bad or something?

Click here to learn more
Old April 13th, 2011 (05:31 PM).
Game Developer

Nature: Careful
Quote originally posted by Turtwig26:
Okay guys, I just edited the story again. I'm not getting many replies... Is my game just bad or something?
It's really quite generic and blends in with all the first time games quite well, if that's the info you're looking for.

Old April 16th, 2011 (04:34 PM).
The Omniponent

I updated the screenshots and I still need a spriter and advanced scripter. right now I'm in the process of mapping the region. I'm going to map everything first, and then do all of the events, battles, etc. After that, I'm going to start customizing the menu and battle system.

Click here to learn more
Old April 18th, 2011 (12:51 PM). Edited April 18th, 2011 by Turtwig26.
The Omniponent

hey guys, I edited the graphics once again and changed the starter town again. I'll post some screenies either today or tomorrow.

Quote originally posted by lx_theo:
It's really quite generic and blends in with all the first time games quite well, if that's the info you're looking for.
Do you have any advice to make it better? It would be appreciated!

And also, for an update, I have a spriter and am in the process of getting a scripter (they haven't PMed me back yet)

*UPDATE*

Hey again. I added the region map. I can't believe I forgot that! It's in the attachments
Attached Thumbnails
Map.png‎  

Click here to learn more
Old April 18th, 2011 (02:46 PM).
Game Developer

Nature: Careful
hey guys, I edited the graphics once again and changed the starter town again. I'll post some screenies either today or tomorrow.

Do you have any advice to make it better? It would be appreciated!

And also, for an update, I have a spriter and am in the process of getting a scripter (they haven't PMed me back yet)

*UPDATE*

Hey again. I added the region map. I can't believe I forgot that! It's in the attachments
Well... Right now it looks like a first attempt in concept. Its basically just another Pokemon game with the same stuff with new names.

Generally people in fangames like to see stuff that sets it apart from the traditional formula that has been Pokemon. Gamefreak already does that on a much better scale, what point is there to just make the same thing again?

Its a good thing for a beginner to try, but in my experience you won't finish. Its just how things work. If you want to make it good, just do what you want and learn. Don't try to get people to join or anything. Practice your skills and try to make it yourself. Use tutorials and such.

I started trying to make a game solo. It was- bad. Very first game like. A lot like this. It ended eventually as I saw games with quality better enough that I moved onto being parts of teams with games that also didn't finish. Lately I've learned that if a game is going to be finished, you need a team of the best, or a concept that's doable within your own skills. Thats how I'm approaching my current game.

Old April 19th, 2011 (07:17 AM).
Magma.

Nature: Serious
Hey, i am quitting the team.
If you want me to stay, let me a trainer spriter.

omega.
No information yet.
Old April 19th, 2011 (07:51 AM). Edited April 19th, 2011 by Turtwig26.
The Omniponent

Sorry Snivy, I don't need a trainer spriter. If you want to be a trainer spriter, find another team

**Kinda Major Edit**

I'm going to add another story that has been forming in my mind. Tell me if you guys like it.

And to KingSnivy, I never accepted you into the group because you never showed my an example of your work. when I PMed you, I said I wanted a Fakemon spriter. If you didn't want to do that, then:
(1) You should have said so when you replied. Instead, you basically said "Sure! I'll do some sprites!"
(2) After you realized that you didn't want to do fakemon sprites, PM me instead of announcing it on my thread.

This thread is for my game. It is for people who want to help me, and for people to see my work. Its not for people who were never really part of my team complaining that I won't let them be a trainer spriter

Click here to learn more
Old April 20th, 2011 (12:35 PM).
The Omniponent

So does anyone have an opinion about the two stories? I'm in the process of mapping out the region right now. I'm going to map out everything, and then do the events and gyms and basically the story, and after that, I'll customize the trainer sprites and the new battle system

Click here to learn more
Old April 20th, 2011 (05:03 PM).
Something Memorable?

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via AIM to Valora17
Your stories seem highly undeveloped and kind of bland. Their doesn't seem to be anything that makes your game stick out from the rest. I mean, sure their seem to be other ways to obtain badges and what-not, but is that enough to make this a real game instead of a recreation of an existing game?

I think, so that you don't have to keep asking for opinions, you should look at your stories and outline how everything plays out and how it works compared to other games. Then create your story more in-depth or with more uniqueness.

hope this helps
Blow the candles out,

Looks like a solo tonight,

I'm beginning to see the light.

Blow the candles out,

Looks like a solo tonight,

Everything's gonna be alright.
Old April 26th, 2011 (11:31 PM).
Super Pokemon Eevee Edition

Nature: Calm
Because you're asking- It's not that it's bad. but that it's a generic looking startup project.

Theres a lot of new startup fangames on pokecommunity, using a starter kit, some fakemon, new region, etc.
Lots of them would give up in a month, especially if it's their first game. (took me 3 tries and in 8 years to actually get a far along project)

Story is workable, just needs good pacing and you'll be all set. Just keep on working on it. Do what you're doing,
once you get enough progress for the Showcase, then the thread will probably be buzzing along.

Just keep on working on it,
Old April 27th, 2011 (02:32 AM).
The Omniponent

thanks for the advice. I've stopped production on shadowgale for a while so I can learn how to script better

Click here to learn more
Old April 27th, 2011 (05:35 AM). Edited April 27th, 2011 by TheMarkCrafter.
Magma.

If you want the screenshots looks better, Press F8.

Why your mother is the Champion of Monai?

omega.
No information yet.
Old April 27th, 2011 (11:35 AM).
Don't Make A Pigeon Angry

Quote originally posted by KingSnivy:
If you want the screenshots looks better, Press F8.

Why your mother is the Champion of Monai?
Why isn't she?

Too bad you've stop producing, though to script better, I can understand.
The game looks promising: good, but not so over-the-top that it won't ever be finished.

Also, it would be nice if we could see some pics of the starters!

Supporter of:

Old April 28th, 2011 (12:42 AM).

Nature: Brave
thanks for the advice. I've stopped production on shadowgale for a while so I can learn how to script better
Hahaha this is what i will be doing to my game when i reach a certain point.. to learn how to script :D we have the same minds
Old May 2nd, 2011 (02:33 AM).
The Omniponent

I'm going to update the first post soon. I've made a lot of changes to everything and i can't wait to post it!

Click here to learn more
Old May 3rd, 2011 (06:08 AM). Edited May 3rd, 2011 by Cilerba.
Magma.

Sorry Snivy, I don't need a trainer spriter. If you want to be a trainer spriter, find another team

**Kinda Major Edit**

I'm going to add another story that has been forming in my mind. Tell me if you guys like it.

And to KingSnivy, I never accepted you into the group because you never showed my an example of your work. when I PMed you, I said I wanted a Fakemon spriter. If you didn't want to do that, then:
(1) You should have said so when you replied. Instead, you basically said "Sure! I'll do some sprites!"
(2) After you realized that you didn't want to do fakemon sprites, PM me instead of announcing it on my thread.

This thread is for my game. It is for people who want to help me, and for people to see my work. Its not for people who were never really part of my team complaining that I won't let them be a trainer spriter
You're breaking a rule of the PC. You must NEVER say about PMs at the Pokecommunity topics/threads/posts.
i will show you..

omega.
No information yet.
Old May 3rd, 2011 (09:25 AM).
Master of everything!

You're breaking a rule of the PC. You must NEVER say about PMs at the Pokecommunity topics/threads/posts.
i will show you..

LOL! That is very rich coming from you... And guess what? He never posted a PM.
Old May 6th, 2011 (12:30 PM).
The Omniponent

Okay, I've been waiting for my spriter to finish a fakemon sprite so I can show it to you guys when I revamp the first post, but it's taking a little longer than expected (your still the best dorandragon!) so I'll update the first post with new screenshots, story, and maps in a day or two.

Click here to learn more
Old May 6th, 2011 (10:19 PM).
Magma.

Okay, I've been waiting for my spriter to finish a fakemon sprite so I can show it to you guys when I revamp the first post, but it's taking a little longer than expected (your still the best dorandragon!) so I'll update the first post with new screenshots, story, and maps in a day or two.
The fakemon creator is not called a spriter, it's a concept artist.
That i am.. sorry but, i won't do the fakemon..

omega.
No information yet.
Old May 7th, 2011 (02:53 AM).
No school like the old school

Nature: Impish

The fakemon creator is not called a spriter, it's a concept artist.
That i am.. sorry but, i won't do the fakemon..
ummm no, a concept artist is someone who draws the fakemon, in sugi-style, so you have something to work on.
a fakemon spriter is someone who makes the pokemon SPRITES, FOR THE GAME.
umm what, he wasnt talking about you obviously, he was talking about dorandragon.

@turtwig26
i think the game's interfaces look great, but i have problems with the mapping, 1 its to wide open, even inside the houses its to big, and empty, 2. we can see the border line on the maps. so keep workin man.
Old May 7th, 2011 (04:20 AM). Edited May 7th, 2011 by TheMarkCrafter.
Magma.

How to make a fakemon.
Spoiler:
Pokemon Amalgamation Tutorial
by Chesu

The good, the bad, and the ugly. The most common
form of Pokemon spriting is the creation of "Fusions", combinations
of the parts of two or more different Pokemon sprites. While Hybrids
(i.e. a Gardevoir with a Koffing for a head, a Machop/Houndour centaur)
and type-changes are popular, in this tutorial I'll be discussing
Amalgamon, original Pokemon created from existing parts.

As with any other spriting method, you should have a
clear idea of what you want to make. If you don't, you could
end up with something like Griffody the Flying Goat up there. Ever
since Pokemon Gold and Silver came out, introducing Miltank and the
concept of baby Pokemon, I've been waiting for a baby cow that
evolves into both Tauros and Miltank. Nine years on, I'm
kind of getting a little tired of waiting.

...Okay, so it doesn't look much like a baby cow yet,
but... well, it's a process, y'know? When making Amalgamon,
I usually start by assembling parts that I think I'll need, or that
just look interesting. There are usually around twenty, and I decide
which to use through trial and error; I'm only showing you the ones
that I actually ended up using. A good start would be to reduce
the number of heads hanging about.

So, why Wurmple's head? Well, I happened to have a
modified Wurmple head sitting between some of my favorite
Pokemon beaks and eyes, and I liked how it was shaped. When
choosing parts, make sure that their orientation will fit your sprite.
I like to go with things that people won't recognize, or that can be
modified beyond recognition. With a color change, Pichu eyes, and
some ever-so-slightly modified Eevee ears, you would never even
guess a Wurmple was involved. When combining parts, make
sure the area they meet is smooth and natural-looking.

Looking a bit more cow-like, right? Well, at least a little.
Remember to properly shade the sprite, and make sure that the
shading flows well between the different parts. Just because you're
working with premade shapes and shading doesn't mean you can't
add your own little touches; don't be afraid to draw feet, horns,
designs... whatever you feel the sprite needs.

Not all sprites need to be elaborate. Smaller Pokemon usually
have much simpler designs than the big ones, both because their
size allows for only so much detail and to make their evolutions look
more impressive. Sometimes, you barely even have to edit the parts
used; however, it's important to know what to edit and what not to.

This one could definitely use more editing. While
most people wouldn't recognize the Fearow wing, its beak is
clearly a Kingler claw. It also uses the same wing, mirrored, for
both wings... a big no-no. If you really must mirror a body part,
modify it as much as you can to hide the fact. On the positive side
of things, the natural coloration of the wing and the marks on Quagsire's
back have been expanded upon in a way that fits a common theme. It's
been years and year since I threw this together*, so I don't know if
I planned for the bottom part of the wing to become a tail or if it
just happened, but either way it's an interesting feature.

*this sprite, along with a few others in this tutorial, were
made for a competition in which you had to guess the Pokemon
that went into the creation of the posted Amalgamon.

While Tsurigu here makes for a good entry in the
aforementioned competition, it was a rush job, and is
downright bad as far as Amalgamon go. If you look closely,
you'll see that the parts (Articuno wings for ears aside) are largely
unaltered, and have their original shading intact. Everywhere that one
part meets another, they're just kind of placed on top of each other...
and worst of all, there is yet again mirroring, this time in the ears.
This is made even more apparent by the fact that the
shading is relatively unchanged.

Remember this guy, from the beginning of the tutorial?
At the time, compared to the other two, it looked pretty good...
but what do you think of it now? It's poorly shaded, the parts are
just kind of set on top of each other, and Grovyle's face is pretty
recognizable. You're probably wondering if the wings are mirrored
or not, since the head obscures your view... If you were to
mirror a body part, this is ideally how you would do it, but
in this case both of Golbat's wings were used.

Who remembers these three? PurpleKecleon made
them back when rumors of Diamond and Pearl having
Fighting/Psychic/Dark starters were circulating. Even nice
concept art like this can be recreated with existing parts.
The dinosaur could be made with Bayleef's body and
Lairon's head; the cat, with Espeon's body and
Pichu's ears. The kangaroo?

In closing, your ability to create sprites from existing
Pokemon parts is only as limited as your ability to imagine
them. In fact, there's such a wide array of body parts and
different poses that you could probably fill an entire PokeDex
with "original" sprites. If you're REALLY good...

Oh, I kid, I kid. Nobody would think that
Absol is an Amalgamon... right?

---

If you have any questions or would like to give feedback
on the tutorials, click here to leave Chesu a visitor message!

Credit Chesu..

omega.
No information yet.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)