The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.
Feel like talking about Pokémon manga? Check this out! Want to discuss and share Pokémon music and videos? Click here!

Old April 12th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Mahou Tsukai
Beginning Trainer

Can you imagine what a world with Pokemon would be like if the setting were not today but in the 30s or 40s?

Hmm, I can imagine people listening to Pokemon tournament radio broadcasts and Pokemon-related radio drama in their homes (home televisions were extremely uncommon back then).

What else can you imagine. Post your thoughts here!
Old April 12th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Eliminator Jr.
Gym Leader

Nature: Calm
I'm not sure about the Pokémon-related radio drama. I know Pokémon would play a big part in the Pokémon World, but I doubt dramas involving human conflict would revolve around Pokémon just because they exist.

I assume it'd be much like how things are in the game, however society is like it was in the 30s or 40s. It'd be similar, battles would still take place and be broadcast on radio, perhaps professional trainers and audiences would wear suits/dresses, just like how going out to see the footy used to be an occasion to dress up for in real life (any Australians just have to look up old footage of AFL grand finals to see all the women in dresses and hats and men in suits). Maybe women weren't allowed to be Pokémon trainers, or at least professional trainers. Racism and sexism would surely influence who could enter into tournaments at least.
Old April 12th, 2011, 11:46 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Well everything would be in sepia tone that's for sure.
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:44 AM
mondays suck
:)

That was a horrible time so this is a horrible idea.
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Meinfoo
Spelling error? Spelling win!

There would be no Porygon...

On the bright side we would still have psychic, electric and fire types to help create technology and industry.
Old April 13th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Psynergy
Beginning Trainer

I really don't see that as being a fun game, considering it wasn't very much of a fun time.
Old April 13th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Mahou Tsukai
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psynergy View Post
I really don't see that as being a fun game, considering it wasn't very much of a fun time.
I think it would still be enjoyed by many people, just like football back in the 30s/40s. As for pokeballs, being a recent invention (invented in 1926 if I remember correctly), they will not be widely available and probably be used by only the upper-middle and upper class people (as new technology is always expensive). And with computer (and computer network) technology still in it's infancy, there will be no instant teleportation of pokemon, and people will be sending letters with pidgeys.
Old April 13th, 2011, 08:38 AM
JP
wut?
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondays suck View Post
That was a horrible time so this is a horrible idea.
Eh? Granted the time period was host to the second World War, it was a very interesting time period and certainly not a horrible idea. It could make for an interesting setting... military themes for example: Armies using Pokemon as means for wars and battles, and on the other side, militia and resistance groups using Pokemon to help the people and fight back. Also adding a touch of steam-punk... my oh my, this would make for a very interesting and awesome Pokemon world if you ask me.
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:01 AM
LilacArcanine
Aiber Enthusiast

Nature: Naughty
Maybe an expy of the Nazi Party could be the baddies of the day and you could be sent to war at any time along with your Pokemon?

-talk Death Note or anything else that takes your fancy!

Back after a 1 year hiatus.

Old April 13th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Rai
Misao <3

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Rai
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilacArcanine View Post
Maybe an expy of the Nazi Party could be the baddies of the day and you could be sent to war at any time along with your Pokemon?

That's what I was thinking!

I think it is a great idea actually. They could do so much with the story.
Old April 13th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
Sorry Pikachu I am going to have to let you go, I can't afford to feed you any more after the Stock Market crashed. Charziard use Flamethrower to burn them out of their pill box! Yes what a great time, I get to use pokemon for combat purposes in war!

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old April 13th, 2011, 10:00 PM
King∞Nido
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshin5 View Post
Sorry Pikachu I am going to have to let you go, I can't afford to feed you any more after the Stock Market crashed. Charziard use Flamethrower to burn them out of their pill box! Yes what a great time, I get to use pokemon for combat purposes in war!
Oh no! I'll feel bad if I make my Nidoking destroy a city with his Earthquake… I should just nuke 'em!!!

Honestly, this sounds like a great idea… you all talk like any of that "horrible stuff" that happened back in the day doesn't happen anymore (yay, a black president… guilt-free )…

It doesn't work like that… the idea is awesome, there's a lot of ways you could expand it, people criticizing it saying "those were horrible times, oh no!" are just being simple-minded beezies.
Old April 14th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Mahou Tsukai
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilacArcanine View Post
Maybe an expy of the Nazi Party could be the baddies of the day
Did you mean ESPer? Then during the war, governments on both sides of the conflict could use psychic pokemon for intelligence gathering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshin5 View Post
Sorry Pikachu I am going to have to let you go, I can't afford to feed you any more after the Stock Market crashed.
:'(:'(:'(

I've also thought about the infamous Bonnie and Clyde using pokemon instead of guns to rob banks.
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Zeffy
bowties are cool

Send a message via Skype™ to Zeffy
I would imagine that there would be war against the regions. Kanto and Johto would be allies, of course. And Pokemon wouldn't be kept of Pokeballs yet. Its either in apricot balls or just trained without a Pokeball. I'd also imagine there would be no "futuristic Pokemon" and there would be no Deoxys either. xD
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Baconkillszombies
I AM NOT A ZOMBIE >.>

I think the question really is, would all the turbulence really occur if pokemon took place in the 30's and 40's? The other question is, wouldn't the pokemon world be far ahead of the real world, with all it's sophisticated floating robots and teleportation?

If it pokemon were to mirror our world in some ways, this is the best answer for me. :D

Quote:
Eh? Granted the time period was host to the second World War, it was a very interesting time period and certainly not a horrible idea. It could make for an interesting setting... military themes for example: Armies using Pokemon as means for wars and battles, and on the other side, militia and resistance groups using Pokemon to help the people and fight back. Also adding a touch of steam-punk... my oh my, this would make for a very interesting and awesome Pokemon world if you ask me. __________________

Sponsored Links