Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 5th, 2013 (10:46 AM). Edited October 6th, 2013 by Kurapika.
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty

Hi everyone, I finally started with the scripting of my hack a couple of weeks ago. Normally, I wanted to finish most of the maps and other things before releasing anything, but I think it would be wise to publish a beta to have your opinions guys.
But first, let me follow the usual process and start with the Introduction:

BIG THANKS/CREDITS
Spoiler:

Actually, I'll start with these.
First of all, I want to thank all the people that were very very helpful to me by their tutorials, tools, resources, hacks, forums-activity, ... etc: Lu-Ho, HackMew, JPAN, Michu, Chaos Rush, Gamer2020, Jambo51, Doesn'tKnowHowToPlay, Karatekid522, Diegoisawesome, Metapod23 ... BIG BIG THANKS!
I want to thank anyone who made PC, one of the most large Pokémon fans communities, if not the largest!
I want to thank anyone who made this large sprites resource: http://www.spriters-resource.com.
I want to thank Nintendo and Game Freak, for making the games, duh! I (we) love Pokémon! (Altough most of the vanilla games are disappointing XD)
I want to thank you for playing this hack!
I want to thank myself, because without myself I could not do anything (Ok, I'll stop.)
If I forgot to give credit to someone it was intentional, hahahah... :D :D Nah, just kidding. Thanks to anyone I forgot to give credits to, if I forgot someone please PM me, VM me or simply post on this thread.

INTRODUCTION
Spoiler:

I know it's not quite obvious, but I'm Kurapika. If you want to economize some keyboard clicks, 4 clicks precisely, you can simply call me Kura.
Iirc, I joined PC since January 2013 when I was looking for the rest of Pokémon ShinyGold... It's then when I discovered this forum which is FULL of Pokémon fan games, I was like "What *effing* cave am I living in to not hear about this amazing website 'til now?". I had the time to play several hacks and RMXP games, some were fantastic and fun while some others were repetitive/uninteresting, I hope that Swift Swim is not among the later category...
I play-tested about 4 RMXP games so far and my favorite is Pokémon Reborn, you really should give it a try!! As of rom hacks, I tested many and I liked the trilogy of Ruby Destiny the most, ShinyGold was great, Red Story is nice, Apollo and Shiny Opal are cool... Ok, I guess it is enough with advertising, hehe. :D

Why Swift Swim?? And why Ocean of Wills?
I gotta say that this hack was/is more of a hacking practice for me, it is my first try!
The name doesn't really mean anything.
Originally, I named it Aqua Blue, because I was too lazy to think of a name for it. Later on, when I started scripting/hacking, I realised that Swift Swim sounded better, especially that it is the starter's ability (spoil!). Ocean of Wills refers to the different characters in this hack, each one fights for his/her own ideals and reasons.
Anyway, enough with the intro, time to talk about the story.

STORY
Spoiler:

Well, the story is not completely polished right now, but I already thought about the important stuff.
Anyway, the story takes place in Kanto. (Yup, the story takes place in Kanto because: Firstly, this saves me some mapping time altough most maps will be remade! It makes it easy for you to remember where to go and where did you come from, making my own world will require players to memorize a **** load of imaginary names ...)
So, you are a young boy/girl, who just graduated from Pokémon School in Viridian City and Prof. Oak comes to your school to congratulate you, you and 3 of your classmates, for your graduation and will give each one of you a Pokémon from different regions and environments.
Once each one receives his/her Pokémon, Prof. Oak invites you all to participate in a mini "little cup" tournament where you will fight your classmates.
Your first battle VS Jura will be easy because you will have a type advantage.
Your second and last battle will be against Gray, and this time the type advantage is AGAINST you, but, right before the battle starts, the weather changes and as such you get the weather advantage to your side! Quiet strange...
Whether you lose this battle or not, your dad, Nito, one of the Elite Four champions, will speak with you and give you an Ultra Ball. Later on, after getting your Pokédex, you'll discover that the weather changed earlier because of a Castform (a hidden quest gets unlocked for a short time). On your way to Pewter City, an Absol appears in front of you, annoucing the approach of a disaster probably. Also, something is happening in Viridian Forest, it seems you need an HM you cannot acquire just yet so you'll have to figure out another way to get past the forest... Maybe another quest is waiting for you there?
[Blah blah blah]
The story is so long, but there are many twists awaiting you, Nito, your dad, tells you about an intruder who had some mysterious business at Plateau Indigo, who could be that strange person?
Thourought your journey, you'll encounter the PIA's agents, what's up with them? Trying to show that they have control over all Gyms and such?! What do they want from your mom, Serena (Viridian City's Gym Leader), and your dad, Nito? And why did they decide to make PokéCenters services no longer free?
Team Rocket is back?? And it looks like they have some connection with you and some Gym leaders...
Long story short, many things to discover, but, for now, you can only get the 1st badge, the Fullmetal Badge, Viridian City's Gym and Gym Leader are already added, but, due to a "maze", you will not fulfill the conditions to reach Serena, except if you cheat... By the way, Pewter City's Gym will be EXTREMELY HARD TO BEAT. There is a trick you need to figure out in order to beat it with less headaches!!

CHARACTERS
Spoiler:

This section needs more love... Anyway, here is the list of the most important character as of the newest release:
The Main Character: Aka the Player or You... duh! I used Dawn and Lucas' sprites.
Sensei: Not really an important character, she is a teacher in Viridian City's school. (Sensei means teacher in Japanese)
Prof. Oak: It isn't very obvious but this character is the famous Professor Sebastian Oak you all know!
Nito: Known more as Gravelord Nito, he is one of the Elite Four and also the player's father. He works as a gravekeeper at the Plateau Indigo's graveyard, therefore, his favorite partners are Ghost Pokémon. He tries his best to be a good and helpful father. (Gravelord Nito is a damn hard boss in Dark Souls, lol)
Serena: Your mother and Viridian City's Gym leader, She uses Normal and Fairy Pokémon that have the ability Serene Grace. She competes with her husband usually and she always beats him, she also competes with him to be a better mother than he is a good father to you... (Serena has nothing to do with X/Y's Serena, the name came from Serene Grace, an ability all of her Pokémon have. In other words, Game Freak stole the name from me! ;_
Gray: One of your classmates and also Gary's son. Like his father, he is a little bit annoying but he is a kind trainer, especially with his own Pokémon... Trying to be the very best, he conciders anyone a rival. He wants to train before meeting up with his father to show him how much tough he is. (Gray came from Gary, also Gray Fullbuster is an ice mage from Fairy Tail.)
Jura: One of your classmates, he is from Pewter City, but he used to live in Crimson City. An adamant trainer who's trying to improve his knowledge and his strength, he chose to be a Pokémon Ranger. Instead of fearing the Fire that killed almost all of his family years ago, he wants to understand and be close to it, that's why he will prefer Fire-type Pokémon over other species. He loves all Pokémon but seems to love Levy more. (Jura came from Fairy Tail, a an earth mage)
Levy: One of your classmates, she is from Pewter City, too. A girl full of energy and curiousity, she wants to learn everything about Pokémon and help those in need, that's why she chose the path of a Pokémon Ranger along with Jura.
Boss Iris: She is the boss of the Bug Catchers in Viridian Forest. Not really an important character, but had to mention it since it has its own OW and sprite.
Iori Yagami: A mysterious person, nothing much is known about him except that he was pursuing an Absol as well as being a Pokémon Trainer who prefers the Dark typed Pokémon, you'll know more about this character in the upcoming chapters. (King of Fighters fan know what inspired me this badass character )
Forest: Brock's brother, he became in charge of Pewter City's Gym Leader after the mess that happened because of their parents and after the intervention of the PIA. He also changed the Gym's type from Rock to Steel following the orders of Kanto's Champion.

SCREEN SHOTS
Spoiler:

FEATURES
Spoiler:
  • More than 90 Pokémon from Gen 4+.
  • Physical/Special Split.
  • 3 potential rivals. (Even tough they are not meant to be really rivals, that's why I said "potential" :D)
  • Fairy type.
  • A "Starter Kit" feature, it's a package (item) you receive at the start of the game.
  • "new" Gyms and unusual battle style: Possibility to choose your first Pokémon before some important battles, impossible to switch Pokémon during some important battles, not possible run away and/or use Pokéballs during some special wild battles, and mooore... (Not all of this is present as of yet!)
  • Side quests to help you with your journey or just to explore hidden content.
  • Move Tutors are unlimited + EmptyMachine items were made to allow an unlimited TMs source.
  • Addition of more than +100 moves from Gen 4+. (Sucker Punch, Acrobatics, ...)
  • Addition of "my own" moves. (such as Iced Shell, Shell Bash, Head Slam, Terribreath, Fairy Tail ...)
  • Moves learnset of every. single. Pokémon. has been/will be revamped. (Btw, not letting a Pokémon evolve is more useful than before)
  • Massive de-capitalization. (Say no to Loudred/Exploud!)
  • A new (and cool?) story in a region you're most probably very familiar with, Kanto region!
  • Addition of a lot of Gen 4+ abilities. (f.e. Skill Link, Snow Warning, Imposter, Scrappy, Download, Sand Rush, Regenerator, Prankster)
  • A lot of new Pokémon: Chandelure, Garchomp, Meloetta, Hydreigon, Weavile, Mamoswine, ... etc
  • More chances to get shiny Pokémon.
  • Re-typed some moves. (f.e. Splash is Water, Whirlwind is Flying)
  • Changed maaaaany moves' type (Razor Wind is Flying instead of Normal), base power (Magical Leaf has 80 BP instead of 60), accuracy (Sonicboom has 100 acc instead of 90), PPs (Toxic has 5 PPs instead of 10), effect (Fly has U-Turn's effect instead of the original effect) AND/OR priority (Harden has a priority of 1 instead of 0). Btw, all moves with an original priority level of 1 had their priority increased by 1, this way, Harden will never go before Quick Attack, except with a Quick Claw item or Prankster ability!
  • Re-typed some Pokémon. (f.e. Vibrava/Flygon are Bug-Dragon, Arbok is Poison-Dark)
  • Changed some Pokémon's abilities. (f.e. Mankey family can have Scrappy, Magnemite family has Levitate)
  • Many weak Pokémon had their stats buffed.
  • Some Pokémon can learn moves they can't learn in the Vanila games. (f.e. Dragonair can learn Flash, Vibrava/Flygon can learn Bug Buzz/Quiver Dance, Dusknoir can learn Rapid Spin)
  • Steel is no longer immune to Poison's damage, but still immune to the status. Dragon is resistant to Ground.

FEATURES YOU MIGHT NOT LIKE(Sorry :p)
Spoiler:
  • Starters: The "starters tradition" is not present in this hack. I will probably not add Gen 6's starters. Gen 2's starters were replaced by Gen 4's. Gen 5's starters will NOT be added, I only like Serperior, but mono-Grass sucks.
  • some other evolutionary items you should discover yourself. :D
  • More than 90 Pokémon from Gen 3, 2 and 1 have been replaced by Pokémon from the advanced generations. (Some of them may be "brought back", Jumpluff was removed before it was brought back as one of Oddish' evolutions, Mawile was removed too and came back...)
  • Some Pokémon got re-typed. (f.e.: Arbok is Dark/Poison, Flygon is Bug/Dragon, ... more infos in the guide)
  • Most legendaries are not catchable! (For now, the only legendary you will certainly be ale to obtain is Rayquaza (secret content), there is a possibility that Shaymin and/or Moltres and/or Regigigas will be catchable, too.)
  • The game's difficulty. The game will be reasonably difficult and many tools are at your disposal to help you such as unlimited TMs source, unlimited move tutors and move buffers, cheap Poké Balls, cheap Repels, very cheap Vitamins...
  • You might not like my tiles/sprites, I'm newbie. :x
  • New moves use animations from old moves. This will change eventually, but for now, it is a low priority.
  • Several NPCs have old sprites and/or OWs, these will change eventually of course, they're average-priority!
  • PokéCenters's services are not free.
  • Prices and money's "value" changed. (f.e.: Items usable during battles are pretty much expansive)
  • The addition of the Fairy type forced me to change how types look so yeah, see screenshots. (well, it didn't really force me I just like editing stuff just for the sake of editing, apparently XD)

FUTURE FEATURES
Spoiler:
  • Introducing a new kind of Moves Tutors: Moves Buffers, I think I should find a better name... (f.e.: If a Pokémon knows Jump Kick, it can be teached Hi Jump Kick, Absorb > Mega Drain > Giga Drain, ... etc)
  • A more interactive and interesting Elite Four, slightly inspired from Gen 5 games but with a lot more of additions and improvments.
  • +18 new TMs, +34 Move Tutors (unless if I make some Tutors teach multiple moves!) and many Move Buffers.
  • An imitation of Mega evolution. (I'll try to do it like Imposter, Intimidate, ...)
  • Some new items: Choice Scarf, Choice Specs, Muscle Band, Wise Glasses, Eviolite, Expert Belt, Focus Sash, Type Gems, ...
  • Day and Night system. (I may never add it, I want first to see if I can have my own controlable DN system, my current ASM skills are not good enough...)
  • Improving some of the existing items and abilities.
  • Making it possible to be infatuated to a Pokémon of the same gender, as long as it is not genderless.
  • Fixing the Pokédex's wrong data. (I may never bother myself with it...)

KNOWN BUGS
Spoiler:

> Venonath, Venomoth, Scyther, Scizor, Yanma, Yanmega, Pineco, Forretress, Shuckle, Herracross, Wurmple, Silcoon, Cascoon, Beautifly, Cascoon, Nincada, Ninjask, Shedinja, Anorith, Armaldo, Vibrava, Flygon, Combee, Vespiquen, Dwebble, Crustle, Joltik, Galvantula.
I know, my jokes are lame. Bugs will be added as soon as reported!
- If you lose against Jura, which is retarded, the game will still act like you won!

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Spoiler:

Here is a download link to the guide, you can find in it in-depth details of what was added, removed or modified: Guide V1.0.0
No questions so far.
Please note that I may intentionally ignore questions like these : "Plzzz plz plz, how to downlaaaad??????", "How to evolve Budew?", etc. Since, those questions already have their answers in this post, in the guide or on Google.com!

DOWNLOAD
Spoiler:

Beta 1 will be available soonTM.

That's all folks! Thanks!
~Kurapika
Old October 5th, 2013 (08:02 PM).
Endless_Void
Rawr

Nature: Naive
I have a feeling this will be a really awesome hack Good luck! (noticed no one commented yet.)

Old October 5th, 2013 (08:27 PM).
Orifiel
Priestess

Nature: Lonely
Oh, wow. Nice sprites and the Ow inserted it a little less perfect.
Also, the new tiles (outside tiles) I didn't like the trees and grasses. I like some of these features.. Yeah, the Known bugs section joke kinda lame but got me laughing. Good work. Besides that, I think overall the OW and trainer sprites stands out. I'll be looking forward for more updates on your game. Good luck there!
Old October 5th, 2013 (08:30 PM).
L0RD G3NGAR
Community Supporter

This game looks great.If I may make this sugestion tho, please don't make us pay to heal. I mean that is interesting but it seems like it will get annoying. Tho I can't wait to play this. I wish you good luck

FC:1521-4183-4396
In game name:Kylee(Y) Kyle(OR)
Old October 5th, 2013 (11:02 PM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Since when Flygon is bug? o.O

Quote originally posted by Flamebot:
This game looks great.If I may make this sugestion tho, please don't make us pay to heal. I mean that is interesting but it seems like it will get annoying. Tho I can't wait to play this. I wish you good luck
I think that's the selling point of this hack =D

It looks very good, keep it up.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old October 6th, 2013 (12:15 AM).
chaos_envoys

Nature: Modest
Nice hack!! Really like the tiles and the concept.. Healing is not free and there are many choices affecting gameplay i suppose :D

Pokemon Glazed,Pokemon Dark Violet, Pokemon Flora Sky, Pokemon Ruby Destiny Series

Waiting For: PLATINUM RED & BLUE, Pokemon Version 6, GAIA
Old October 6th, 2013 (01:04 AM).
reno2799

Looks great keep up the good work.
Old October 6th, 2013 (03:15 AM).
Cooltrainer Defa

Nature: Calm
Nice Hack !!!!!!!
I like pokemon Gen 4.
Old October 6th, 2013 (03:47 AM).
AmazingCharizard
Pokemon Rocket Strike creator

Nature: Brave
Looking nice so far, but a few overworlds look too big to me.

Check out my hack "Pokemon Rocket Strike" http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=319844
How to patch a rom:
1.Download the patch. If it is in a zip file then use a free tool named WinRar to unzip the file.
2.Use Google to find the rom you need.
3.PATCH THAT THING AND LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!
Old October 6th, 2013 (09:04 AM).
Hopeless Masquerade
すきま妖怪
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Well this certainly looks interesting and you seem to be off to a nice start.
And I have to say that the pay to heal feature is quite unique.

One final thing, perhaps you should keep all the OWs in one style? The new ones look out of place.
Old October 6th, 2013 (09:40 AM).
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Quote originally posted by Ash493:
Since when Flygon is bug? o.O
Hehe, I always see Flygon as a Dragon version of Yanma/Yanmega. xD I know some people would not like some of the retypings. >_<' But, for sure, Flygon will be and stay Bug/Dragon in this hack. ' It will be the ultimate Dancing Pokémon. XD
Quote originally posted by Flamebot:
Don't worry, there will be a healing spot for each PokéCenter and healing spots in big areas such as Viridian Forest, Mt. Moon, ...
Quote originally posted by AmazingCharizard:
Looking nice so far, but a few overworlds look too big to me.
Yeah, some OWs are really big, you get an idea how bad I am at spriting and such. >.< I want to change all the OWs when the game is finished, so that they will all big "equaly" big (lol) I will also resize them to make them smaller I guess.

As of the hack's progression, I have finished scripting up to Viridian Forest's storyline quest, time for me to attack Pewter City and Mt. Moon in order to release the 1st Beta. I'll see if I have time to upload some screens as well as a "beta" version of the guide. XD

Thank you all for the support, it really makes me want to give more time to this project, thank you!
Old October 6th, 2013 (10:33 AM).
L0RD G3NGAR
Community Supporter

The trainer sprites look more like they are ds sprites. I like it. Now adults are not the same size as a 10 year old well from what I can tell most of the adult sprites are bigger

Old October 6th, 2013 (10:54 AM).
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Yeah, it takes quite a lot of time to resize sprites without hindering the quality, especially for a noob like me. >.<

I see you noticed the sprites I added to the characters section, I appreciate your attention, thank you.

I also added some screenshots for the currently finished (and sorta hidden) side quests: Lost Casform, Reborn Fisherman (advertising Pokémon Reborn) and Ash's mom... XD
Old October 6th, 2013 (11:24 AM).
L0RD G3NGAR
Community Supporter

Dude, the sprites don't need to be resized imo. Adults are actually adults now. And it looks good.

Old October 6th, 2013 (05:31 PM).
GaryFreakingOak
8 badges in Kanto? I got 10.

Looking amazing! Almost literally every feature I like/have wanted in a hack is here. Will give it a play once you put out the beta, keep up the good work!
Old October 6th, 2013 (05:51 PM).
Ohlookzero

Looking forward to this to be complete.
Old October 7th, 2013 (08:43 AM).
MrDollSteak
Formerly known as 11bayerf1

Hey good to see you making your own hack!

My question is about the new abilities. Have you actually implemented all of them yet?
How did you get Snow Warning working, as from what I've looked at in the rom, there
is no permanent hail. Drought and Drizzle seem to work by setting the byte for permanent
rain and sun, as opposed to rain and sun. So how would you set up Snow Warning?
Did you set up permanent hail with ASM in a new byte check?

Either way everything is looking really good otherwise. Maybe you could send me a PM?
Old October 7th, 2013 (10:48 AM).
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Snow Warning is a 255 turns Hail, it is not unlimited weather, but, it is more than enough.
As I told you in my PM, some abilities are not working 100% perfect but they don't cause crash or graphical bugs and such, f.e. Prankster is using Quick Claw's effect, Regenrator triggers like Natural Cure, ... etc. Imposter and Download required me to make an aditional ASM code that sets the target to the facing Pokémon and such using some random variable.
Other abilities were simple and clear, like Skill Link, Scrappy and all abilities that are related to damage.
Old October 7th, 2013 (07:37 PM).
mikethepokemaster

Nature: Jolly
The screen shot looks amazing and makes me want to play right now but i will have to wait a beta to come out; Good luck to you and hope you finished this.
Old October 8th, 2013 (08:16 AM).
xZagor

This hack, i love it. I can't wait for Beta 1 :D
Old October 9th, 2013 (03:49 AM).
Yuuki_Asura
Rom Hack Lover as of 2009... XD

Nature: Lax
interesting hack, i think i'll give it a try
Pokemon - Dark Rising Series - DarkRisingGirl
Pokemon - Glazed - redriders180
Pokemon - Normal Version - FrozenInfernoZX
Pokémon - Mirage Of Tales: A New Age Dawns - Avaramoon
Pokemon - Z Version - Rezordaxx
Pokemon - The Leola Project - Winter Wonderland
Pokemon - Platinum Red - gogojjtech
Pokemon - Hero's Path (Remake) - Veng3anc3
Pokemon - Daydream White Version - SK3
Pokemon - Black 'n White (Demake) - ~G0LD!
And Many More
Old October 13th, 2013 (11:01 AM).
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Thanks guys for the support.
Quote originally posted by L96:
Oh, wow. Nice sprites and the Ow inserted it a little less perfect.
Also, the new tiles (outside tiles) I didn't like the trees and grasses. I like some of these features.. Yeah, the Known bugs section joke kinda lame but got me laughing. Good work. Besides that, I think overall the OW and trainer sprites stands out. I'll be looking forward for more updates on your game. Good luck there!
I don't have much time lately but I managed to work on tiles, adding the battle house tiles and revamping the grass and trees.
Old October 13th, 2013 (04:18 PM).
ricorbk

Nature: Jolly
Kurapika, I really like this hack and I hope you dont give up on it. keep up the good work
Old October 13th, 2013 (06:32 PM).
Orifiel
Priestess

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by Kurapika:
Thanks guys for the support.

I don't have much time lately but I managed to work on tiles, adding the battle house tiles and revamping the grass and trees.
Well, I like this better than the last time.
Old October 14th, 2013 (05:47 AM).
Roy Tan

i like the fairy type idea
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links