The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny quagsire View Post
I dunno, I'm more or less, looking into adding a few extra Pokemon instead of the whole Pokedex. Maybe instead of a big tutorial document, just to a quick run-through of the different limiting routines and how to patch them, and state the tables to repoint. That's all I'd need to get it. Then maybe later on you could make a more detailed document. But with basic innformation I could make a patcher to insert more Pokemon at ease, or one for your patch to things don't interfere with pre-existing data. Your choice.
I might forward that info to you, but, like the already existing rom, if you don't want to use a Pokémon, just don't use it. XD
But the option to use any of the 649 existing pokémon is there. The option to add fakemon with dex entries/movesets etc is also there, as I WILL post the information needed to extend the dex further if people so wish. The main thing here is, aside from containing extra pokémon, it also allows hackers to add fakemon without overwriting any old pokémon. Win/Win no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer2020 View Post

Maybe. That's not really necessary if a patch get's released. Let's all just let Jambo51 do what he want's to do. It's his work not ours.

@Jambo51 Give me a couple of days. I got the move tutors loading correctly is seems so I should be able to have it edit all moves by next release.
Fantastic. I really don't have much left to do now, so that's great news

I'll put up information on having a working regional dex in FR once i've finished this patch, allowing people to pick and choose what Pokémon they want in their Pokédexes.
Obviously, unless you actually award the National dex, you will never see it, and this patch already contains national dex evo block fixes (Golbat -> Crobat for example, will happen without the national dex now).

In all seriousness, it's really quite easy to do, so I hope people will make use of this patch and the info (when I post it).
It should help hacks look more professional, as we aren't forced to stick with the predetermined order in FR.

I'm already aware that Gamer2020's tool has a Pokédex order editor in it, but the way FR is designed, it will never actually read the regional data.
It requires careful editing of the routines to make sure that it retains backwards compatibility with the bat s**t mental ordering of the Hoenn Pokémon in the rom. (Their Pokédex entries are in National dex order, but their in game ID's are all over the place XD)

Last edited by Jambo51; June 20th, 2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old June 21st, 2011, 11:27 AM
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

Nature: Bold
Hey, I'm a newb and i've seen quite a few useful threads that are just like use this code. But how am i supposed to use it/implement it?
Old June 21st, 2011, 11:46 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdensElite View Post
Hey, I'm a newb and i've seen quite a few useful threads that are just like use this code. But how am i supposed to use it/implement it?
If you're talking about ASM code, look at this very helpful post by HackMew.
It has all the basics of inserting ASM into your rom in it.

Also, don't post questions like this in R&D posts as it will be regarded as spam.

On topic, I need to start investigating the breeding mechanics in the game to "fix" the breeding for the new Pokémon. Does anyone have any useful places to tell me about for this?
Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:24 AM
Meta Paradox
Researching FireRed...

Nature: Serious
What about if i DON'T want the evo fixes with the National Dex or anything like that, or what if I wanted to change some evolutions. How wiill it be made, guys?
Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:23 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta Paradox View Post
What about if i DON'T want the evo fixes with the National Dex or anything like that, or what if I wanted to change some evolutions. How wiill it be made, guys?
The evos are editable using any tool in theory. They'll just not show the relevant data for the evolution type.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the national dex evo fix stuff. If you mean you want the evolutions still to be blocked unless you have the national dex, that's easy enough. I'll post the info when the patch becomes available.
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:42 PM
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

I was wondering if it is possible to add the in-between entries (between celibi and hoenn) to the pokedex?
Old June 26th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdensElite View Post
I was wondering if it is possible to add the in-between entries (between celibi and hoenn) to the pokedex?
This is surprisingly easy to do, but there's a lot of limiters which need editing for it to work. I don't have them on me atm, but i'll edit this post when I get home from work and post the information.
Old June 26th, 2011, 12:54 PM
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

Ok Thanks Jambo

And since the topic is included in Pokedex Hacking, what are some of the best tools for hacking poxedexes as these are also scarce.

(Sorry If this is annoying and Spammy :/)

Last edited by EdensElite; June 26th, 2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old June 26th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
Question:
If I were to write a tool, that would look up the names of a pokemon, where could I find an accurate value of the table for pokemon names?

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old June 26th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Mr.Pkmn
Someone making a pokemon hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal View Post
Question:
If I were to write a tool, that would look up the names of a pokemon, where could I find an accurate value of the table for pokemon names?
Set it as the default one and then let the user choose the correct pointer
Old June 26th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
Hey genius, you wouldn't happen to know what the default pointer is, would you?

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old June 26th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Vapper3
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Serious
Hi!
Great work with this Jambo, thanks!
Also, I know the FR patch isn't even done, but how hard would it be to do this with Ruby?
Vapper

--------------------------------------------------
Projects I support:
FireRed 649 Patch
Chaos Rush's DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource

Last edited by Vapper3; June 26th, 2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: wording, made it sound better...
Old June 26th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal View Post
Hey genius, you wouldn't happen to know what the default pointer is, would you?
um I think you can use one of the pokemon limiters to know the number of names and load a pointer from the ROM for the location.

I just use an ini cause there are a lot of pointers and limiters.

A present to people learning to make ROM hacking tools. - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Functions.zip

If you want a successor to PGE then download this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=311461

If someone can create a Pokémon colosseum remake with graphics and scripting that are very appealing to my eyes I will help them with implementing actual shadow Pokémon.
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapper3 View Post
Hi!
Great work with this Jambo, thanks!
Also, I know the FR patch isn't even done, but how hard would it be to do this with Ruby?
Vapper
I took one look at Ruby's code before and gagged. Fire Red's THUMB code is a mess, but Ruby's is something else. It's a horrid mess of useless lines of code mixed together with code which actually works.

I do wonder sometimes if the lack of efficiency was actually a concious decision by Game Freak to have the game run at 60 fps, or whether they just had a REALLY bad C compiler, but so much of their code is just utterly unnecessary!

Anyway, to answer your question, I won't be porting it any time soon, and I doubt very much that any one else will manage to do so. There are only a handful of hackers with enough experience to pull this off, and afaik, they all work with either FR or Emerald.
Old July 1st, 2011, 07:18 AM
SuperJOCKE
Expert Trainer

Nature: Calm
Man, this sounds so awesome.
It would be even more awesome if you could expand it even more yourself to add your own fakemons. Looking forward to it, I really hope you make a patch. Amazing job. I just really hope you release it for public use though... :/

EDIT:
Just have two questions:
1. How about newer abilities? Like Porygon-Z can only have new abilities (Download and Adaptability), have you inplented them with those effects, if it's possible?
2. Can we change the location of the moss and ice rocks if you have inplented those?

Last edited by SuperJOCKE; July 1st, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old July 10th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJOCKE View Post
Man, this sounds so awesome.
It would be even more awesome if you could expand it even more yourself to add your own fakemons. Looking forward to it, I really hope you make a patch. Amazing job. I just really hope you release it for public use though... :/

EDIT:
Just have two questions:
1. How about newer abilities? Like Porygon-Z can only have new abilities (Download and Adaptability), have you inplented them with those effects, if it's possible?
2. Can we change the location of the moss and ice rocks if you have inplented those?
Apologies for the lack of reply, only just noticed this post.

1) For now, they have been replaced with similar-ish abilities, or use abilities of their pre-evolved forms in gen 3. Eg, Porygon-Z uses Porygon/Porygon2's ability. In the long term, i'll look to add the new abilities.

2) Easily enough, yes. As the evolutions aren't actually triggered by proximity to a certain tile, but are actually triggered by levelling up on a certain map, they are easily enough edited. And it would allow us to have more than those 2 specific reasons for evolution.

Finally, yes. Fakemon could be easily added using this hack, but lemme finish the existing code first huh?
Old July 17th, 2011, 04:59 AM
theavenger
Beginning Trainer

hi first of all its great to see somebody finally a person able to extend the dex
and second i thing the tools in here might help you even though i don't keep my hopes up here goes htt p: // swamperttools . webs . com / downloads . htm
i have a question:can you add more place to get all the gamefreak pokemon and yet still have fakemons like opining a 1000 seen/cought flags to get the ultimate hack i am planing for

p.s:sorry for bad grammer and messed up link not enough posts just delete the spaces

Last edited by theavenger; July 17th, 2011 at 05:02 AM. Reason: why the hell should i tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 17th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by theavenger View Post
hi first of all its great to see somebody finally a person able to extend the dex
and second i thing the tools in here might help you even though i don't keep my hopes up here goes htt p: // swamperttools . webs . com / downloads . htm
i have a question:can you add more place to get all the gamefreak pokemon and yet still have fakemons like opining a 1000 seen/cought flags to get the ultimate hack i am planing for

p.s:sorry for bad grammer and messed up link not enough posts just delete the spaces
The POKÉDEX will only support 1000 Pokemon, with a rewrite (from 0 - 999). The rom can support (ignoring lack of space) 65356 Pokémon.

Last edited by Jambo51; July 17th, 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old July 17th, 2011, 06:16 AM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to ~Anbuja
I just wanted to say that i think what u are doing here jambo is just great!!
with this u will help not just some but i think every pokemon hacker and 999 slots is even too much
keep it up and i hope that u will release it as soon as possible!
Old July 17th, 2011, 06:35 AM
theavenger
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
The POKEDEX will only support 999 Pokemon. The rom can suppport (ignoring lack of space) 65356 Pokemon.
thanks thats just what i needed to hear,olso i hope the tools helped you
Old July 17th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Learath2
Scripter

LOTS of slots you have there you are cool this will help nearly everyone.

Learath2

Signature
Old July 17th, 2011, 06:00 PM
shinyabsol1
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Hey Jambo51, this looks absolutely amazing! Can't wait for the release!

I also have a few questions:

1). Will this work with JPAN's hacked engine?

2). Earlier in this thread you mentioned that this (at least the patch) will not work with a hack already in progress...why is that?
Old July 18th, 2011, 05:50 AM
theavenger
Beginning Trainer

how many of the original pokemon will you insert and if its not a problem whats the progress
Old July 18th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyabsol1 View Post
Hey Jambo51, this looks absolutely amazing! Can't wait for the release!

I also have a few questions:

1). Will this work with JPAN's hacked engine?

2). Earlier in this thread you mentioned that this (at least the patch) will not work with a hack already in progress...why is that?
1) It won't work with the patch version, but if you user the installer tool that comes with it, I struggle to see why it won't.

2) Because the patch is based on an otherwise clean FireRed rom. It would most likely overwrite or remove any hacked in data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theavenger View Post
how many of the original pokemon will you insert and if its not a problem whats the progress
All of the Pokémon, up to and including Genesect, will be present and as close to correct as I can manage. Bearing in mind that a lot of the abilities and moves aren't available in gen 3, I'm having to pick placeholder abilities and replacement moves.
Old July 18th, 2011, 02:27 PM
theavenger
Beginning Trainer

are you deviding them into national dex and kanto dex or not
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links