The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.


Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #151    
Old October 18th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Jambo51's Avatar
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ongekibou View Post
I believe attacks past the normal limit break because of the lack of animation data.
It's partially that and partially something else, which is that the new attacks use battle scripts (which are generally poorly understood) to execute the effects of the attack.

As of right now, the new attacks don't carry any of the new effects which they should, they simply do damage, or do nothing.

They DO however run the DPSS properly AFAICT, so attacks like Scratch are fairy ineffective when a Pokémon like Charmander uses it (from experience).
__________________
Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
Reply With Quote
  #152    
Old October 27th, 2011, 02:54 PM
dudedude1
.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Hey jambo I just had a couple questions about your patch (and don't worry it's not about progress xD)
  1. When the patch is release will there be empty spaces (other than the orginal 25 between Celebi and Treecko) for fakemon or something because I have quite a few (maybe 50) new pokemon that I'd like to insert without replacing?
  2. Will there be room to make new moves without replacing others?
That's all I can think of now but also I just wanted to say if you needed someone to insert move sets of pokemon I can do so. Thanks in advanced
Reply With Quote
  #153    
Old October 27th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Jambo51's Avatar
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
[SIZE="a"]Firstly, the phrase should be "Thanks in advance." you don't need the d.

Secondly, there won't be free space as such. That is, I've specifically limited everything to 650 Pokemon (649 + Missingno). However, where possible, I have removed limiters, and documented the locations of absolutely necessary ones. So, if you wanted, you could use the documentation to add up to 999 Pokemon.

Finally, there are no limiters associated with the moves, except one which I removed, so all you need to do is repoint the table(s) and fill in the new entries.[/SIZE]
__________________
Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
Reply With Quote
  #154    
Old October 28th, 2011, 03:41 AM
dudedude1
.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
[SIZE="a"]Firstly, the phrase should be "Thanks in advance." you don't need the d.

Secondly, there won't be free space as such. That is, I've specifically limited everything to 650 Pokemon (649 + Missingno). However, where possible, I have removed limiters, and documented the locations of absolutely necessary ones. So, if you wanted, you could use the documentation to add up to 999 Pokemon.

Finally, there are no limiters associated with the moves, except one which I removed, so all you need to do is repoint the table(s) and fill in the new entries.[/SIZE]
Thanks this is useful and sorry for my grammar. xD There was one more question I had forgot to ask was will this be compatible with JPAN's Hack Engine without screwing each other up. Thanks in advance (See I got it right xD)
Reply With Quote
  #155    
Old October 28th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Jambo51's Avatar
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Hehe, good stuff on fixing the grammar/spelling.
You won't be able to use JPAN's patch version of the engine, but you CAN use the installer to add his engine. There might be some incompatibilities, but most of his code should be fully compatible.
__________________
Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
Reply With Quote
  #156    
Old October 30th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Wiznatts's Avatar
Wiznatts
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Just wanted to report an odd finding that I've seen with the part of the hack that allows Pokemon to evolve without the National Dex. I've directed some people to it for their hacks on another forum, and it seems there is a problem. Gen 2 and 3 Pokemon do evolve just fine, but Gen 1 mons don't evolve to mons from other Gens; so Golbat->Crobat doesn't work while Chikorita->Bayleef does. I have no idea why this might be, but it's something you'll want to look in to.
Reply With Quote
  #157    
Old November 3rd, 2011, 02:31 PM
bwburke94's Avatar
bwburke94
NEW RUN STARTS AUGUST 1! 000/721
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
I doubt that's a priority, as most hacks give out the National Pokédex immediately. Still, that does need to be fixed eventually.
__________________
YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | ??? (Coming soon!)

3DS Friend Code: 0645-5804-7602

I'm just a little crazy sometimes.
OK, a lot crazy all the time.

My romhacks and Essentials games are on hold until Essentials is updated.
Reply With Quote
  #158    
Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:18 PM
Wiznatts's Avatar
Wiznatts
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Gender: Male
The entire point of that part of the hack is to make it so that you don't have to give out the National Dex. Was that not clear from the OP?
Reply With Quote
  #159    
Old November 4th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Jambo51's Avatar
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiznatts View Post
Just wanted to report an odd finding that I've seen with the part of the hack that allows Pokemon to evolve without the National Dex. I've directed some people to it for their hacks on another forum, and it seems there is a problem. Gen 2 and 3 Pokemon do evolve just fine, but Gen 1 mons don't evolve to mons from other Gens; so Golbat->Crobat doesn't work while Chikorita->Bayleef does. I have no idea why this might be, but it's something you'll want to look in to.
Thanks for alerting me to that bug. I honestly thought I'd fixed that, but I shall have another look when I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
I doubt that's a priority, as most hacks give out the National Pokédex immediately. Still, that does need to be fixed eventually.
It's certainly not a priority, but it's something I would like to have fixed before I release anything.

Incidentally, I will be releasing a Public Alpha within the next few days/weeks. I'll detail the Terms and Conditions (and such) when it gets released. It's currently available to a select few hackers I know for (semi) private alpha testing.
__________________
Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
Reply With Quote
  #160    
Old November 4th, 2011, 12:20 PM
dudedude1
.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Incidentally, I will be releasing a Public Alpha within the next few days/weeks. I'll detail the Terms and Conditions (and such) when it gets released. It's currently available to a select few hackers I know for (semi) private alpha testing.
I can't wait to see this. I would love to help with if you need any. I could insert the footprints or edit the movesets if needed. If your not willing to lend me the alpha early I can wait until you release it to everyone and report any bugs to you. You are amazing!
Reply With Quote
  #161    
Old November 4th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Full Metal's Avatar
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In my mind.
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Thanks for alerting me to that bug. I honestly thought I'd fixed that, but I shall have another look when I get a chance.



It's certainly not a priority, but it's something I would like to have fixed before I release anything.

Incidentally, I will be releasing a Public Alpha within the next few days/weeks. I'll detail the Terms and Conditions (and such) when it gets released. It's currently available to a select few hackers I know for (semi) private alpha testing.
-- Will documentation be provided, or is it up to us to find / observe the changes in the patch? ( apart from the casual observer's obvious observations )
__________________

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Reply With Quote
  #162    
Old November 4th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Jambo51's Avatar
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Tell me what documentation you guys want, and I'll try to provide it for you.
At the end of the day, the patch is being developed for you (and anyone else who wants it, of course ).

For ease of use, I'll bundle a known bug list and 2 XSE header files so that people don't need to guess the indices of the new pokémon and items.

I will most likely also provide my ini for PGE so that people can see the new stuff in PGE.

Apart from that, what do you want documentation about?
__________________
Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
Reply With Quote
  #163    
Old November 4th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Full Metal's Avatar
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In my mind.
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Apart from that, what do you want documentation about?
Locations of routines and such.
I'm not so much after the patch itself -- I'd like to be able to learn from it -- understand why you did what you did.
Basically, I'd like to be able to *recreate* what you did, just for the sake of the experience.
But I don't want to bug you, or ask you to teach me individually, and I'm competent enough to understand documentation, or even commented routines if available. ( The second would be amazing too, but I think you said earlier you lost several of your routines )
For example, I think it would be pretty cool to just fix the bugs that occur with using one of the 25 empty slots.

( However, if I do make a hack, I would definitely use the clean ROM patch, and this patch with it. Two amazing patches, may I say. -- Thanks you two. )
__________________

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Reply With Quote
  #164    
Old November 4th, 2011, 04:42 PM
dudedude1
.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Tell me what documentation you guys want, and I'll try to provide it for you.
At the end of the day, the patch is being developed for you (and anyone else who wants it, of course ).

For ease of use, I'll bundle a known bug list and 2 XSE header files so that people don't need to guess the indices of the new pokémon and items.

I will most likely also provide my ini for PGE so that people can see the new stuff in PGE.

Apart from that, what do you want documentation about?
I think most of what you have is good. If it is simple, can you add a tutorial about what you were talking about earlier. Where you are able to increase the number of pokemon slots but if it is to time consuming I think that's fine. Also, like I said, if you need any help with footprints or movesets I'm here to help!
Reply With Quote
  #165    
Old November 4th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Jambo51's Avatar
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudedude1 View Post
I think most of what you have is good. If it is simple, can you add a tutorial about what you were talking about earlier. Where you are able to increase the number of pokemon slots but if it is to time consuming I think that's fine. Also, like I said, if you need any help with footprints or movesets I'm here to help!
Well, actually, footprints and movesets are 2 of the things I still haven't gotten around to finishing off. But I have to fix other things just now.
__________________
Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
Reply With Quote
  #166    
Old November 4th, 2011, 04:58 PM
dudedude1
.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Oh, well that's ok. That's all I was saying. I could help out but I think the documentation will be fine (Especially if you add the tutorial I suggested xD).
Reply With Quote
  #167    
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:08 PM
NarutoActor's Avatar
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brooklyn/Marlboro
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
To Jambo: I was playing around with scripts and advance map, and I am not sure if this happend to you but the girl in pallet town has a diferent script ($B26A8A which is all FF's). No big deal just wondering why she has a different script then the original.
__________________
~There are those people who understand hex, F the rest
Reply With Quote
  #168    
Old November 10th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Jambo51's Avatar
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
I was most likely testing out some sort of script, removed it, but forgot to reset the original pointer.

EDIT: Fixed for alpha.
__________________
Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!

Last edited by Jambo51; November 16th, 2011 at 04:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #169    
Old November 16th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Jambo51's Avatar
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
This is (as the title implies) alpha 2 of my 649 patch. It fixes a couple of minor bugs which existed in alpha 1 (which was only privately available).

Terms of Use:
Do not, under any circumstances, release a hack based on this patch. You can build a private hack on the engine.

Report any and all bugs found either in this thread, in a VM, or a PM. I will endeavour to check the thread at least once a day to respond to any queries.

Please use this format, as it will aid me in fixing any bugs:
Bug - Explanation of what it is (a screenshot would also be fine if not better)
HOW TO REPLICATE: This is hugely important. If you can recreate the bug using a set of easy steps, tell me. Then I can replicate them myself to try to fix it. If not, don't worry too much.
When - When it happened (Specific area of game - like during battles or whatever)

Other than that, and most importantly, enjoy!

Please remember this is an EARLY ALPHA of the patch, and while most things work, some things do not. Things which don't work are listed in the spoiler below.

Spoiler:
No way to activate the new formes. You can manually activate them (Note: no sprites, just types) by setting the 27th byte of the Pokémon party data to something other than 0. However, the formes are only applicable to the upper half of the byte. That is, 0x10, 0x20, 0x30 (etc).

Footprint data missing for all new Pokémon.

Size comparison is WAAAAAY off. All new Pokémon are Pikachu sized in the comparison.

DO NOT open Cherrim's Pokédex entry, game crashes.

Ignore weird sprites in Pokédex, or lack of sprites in some situations. It's down to the code for Male/Female sprites being present, but the sprites are not.

No Pokémon above Raichu have a moveset.

Lack of Day/Night cycle disables some new evolution types. Simply add the DAN by Prime_Dialga to fix this.

Could be some issues with some attacks with the new DPSS. Swift seems to do very little damage for some reason.

The new moves which do NOT do damage will do nothing.

The new moves all use the old animations, literally copied and pasted into the new slots. This will be rectified at a later date.

There seems to be a severe issue with Gen 1 Pokémon trying to evolve to later gens. Certainly, Golbat -> Crobat crashes the game. Try to avoid any such evolution unless you want to try to find out why.

The new TMs have no real association yet, I just filled the data with random bytes, so there could be weird learnsets.

Couple of weird graphical bugs (ignoring what is already above that is)

The ASM hack made by HackMew to speed up egg hatching with Flame Body/Magma Armour is NOT in the ROM.


Also attached are a couple of headers for XSE which contain the new items (sans sprites atm) and the new Pokémon to facilitate the use of the patch.

I hope this will be tested by many, and I also truly hope as many bugs as possible are found so I can fix them.

Also, I sneaked in ony tiny little semi-easter egg. You should find it quite quickly if you're curious enough to open Sappy.

Finally, a short note to Team Fail and his ilk: The documentation is still being written up, I'll post it when it's ready. I hope that's OK.

Last but not least; The link to it: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24219056/649...0Alpha%202.rar
The INI: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24219056/roms.ini

This INI is for PGE, but it should contain most (if not all) of the relevant pointers/data.
__________________
Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!

Last edited by Jambo51; November 17th, 2011 at 07:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #170    
Old November 16th, 2011, 05:46 PM
dudedude1
.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
This is (as the title implies) alpha 2 of my 649 patch. It fixes a couple of minor bugs which existed in alpha 1 (which was only privately available).

Terms of Use:
Do not, under any circumstances, release a hack based on this patch. You can build a private hack on the engine.

Report any and all bugs found either in this thread, in a VM, or a PM. I will endeavour to check the thread at least once a day to respond to any queries.

Please use this format, as it will aid me in fixing any bugs:
Bug - Explanation of what it is (a screenshot would also be fine if not better)
HOW TO REPLICATE: This is hugely important. If you can recreate the bug using a set of easy steps, tell me. Then I can replicate them myself to try to fix it. If not, don't worry too much.
When - When it happened (Specific area of game - like during battles or whatever)

Other than that, and most importantly, enjoy!

Please remember this is an EARLY ALPHA of the patch, and while most things work, some things do not. Things which don't work are listed in the spoiler below.

Spoiler:
No way to activate the new formes. You can manually activate them (Note: no sprites, just types) by setting the 27th byte of the Pokémon party data to something other than 0. However, the formes are only applicable to the upper half of the byte. That is, 0x10, 0x20, 0x30 (etc).

Footprint data missing for all new Pokémon.

Size comparison is WAAAAAY off. All new Pokémon are Pikachu sized in the comparison.

DO NOT open Cherrim's Pokédex entry, game crashes.

Ignore weird sprites in Pokédex, or lack of sprites in some situations. It's down to the code for Male/Female sprites being present, but the sprites are not.

No Pokémon above Raichu have a moveset.

Lack of Day/Night cycle disables some new evolution types. Simply add the DAN by Prime_Dialga to fix this.

Could be some issues with some attacks with the new DPSS. Swift seems to do very little damage for some reason.

The new moves which do NOT do damage will do nothing.

The new moves all use the old animations, literally copied and pasted into the new slots. This will be rectified at a later date.

There seems to be a severe issue with Gen 1 Pokémon trying to evolve to later gens. Certainly, Golbat -> Crobat crashes the game. Try to avoid any such evolution unless you want to try to find out why.

The new TMs have no real association yet, I just filled the data with random bytes, so there could be weird learnsets.

Couple of weird graphical bugs (ignoring what is already above that is)

The ASM hack made by HackMew to speed up egg hatching with Flame Body/Magma Armour is NOT in the ROM.


Also attached are a couple of headers for XSE which contain the new items (sans sprites atm) and the new Pokémon to facilitate the use of the patch.

I hope this will be tested by many, and I also truly hope as many bugs as possible are found so I can fix them.

Also, I sneaked in ony tiny little semi-easter egg. You should find it quite quickly if you're curious enough to open Sappy.

Finally, a short note to Team Fail and his ilk: The documentation is still being written up, I'll post it when it's ready. I hope that's OK.

Last but not least; The link to it: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24219056/649...0Alpha%202.rar
Glad to see this is finally up but its gonna be hard to create new inis for programs xD Also, will this ever be allowed to be used in public hacks? It be a shame if it couldn't. Keep up the good work Jambo!
Reply With Quote
  #171    
Old November 17th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Wiznatts's Avatar
Wiznatts
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Gender: Male
I was hoping to have gotten the sheets for the Gen 4 Pokemon done before you released this to the public. Looks like I was a couple days late. I have good looking fronts for almost every Gen 4 'mon (I just need to make 3 Rotom Formes and recolor the Arceus sprites). Excluding Formes, I just need to make 13 more backs (28 with them), so I should be able to have those out by the end of the weekend I think. I hadn't intended to include gender differences, but adding those should be pretty easy if you want me to.
Reply With Quote
  #172    
Old November 17th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Jambo51's Avatar
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudedude1 View Post
Glad to see this is finally up but its gonna be hard to create new inis for programs xD Also, will this ever be allowed to be used in public hacks? It be a shame if it couldn't. Keep up the good work Jambo!
Ah, sorry. I forgot to include the INI with the file. I'll add it now.
The reason I'm not allowing hacks to be released based on this is because it's an ALPHA. It's buggy and I know it is. The whole point of releasing a public alpha is so we can find the bugs and fix them.

Once it hits what I will call "Beta" stage, people will be free to make hacks based on the patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiznatts View Post
I was hoping to have gotten the sheets for the Gen 4 Pokemon done before you released this to the public. Looks like I was a couple days late. I have good looking fronts for almost every Gen 4 'mon (I just need to make 3 Rotom Formes and recolor the Arceus sprites). Excluding Formes, I just need to make 13 more backs (28 with them), so I should be able to have those out by the end of the weekend I think. I hadn't intended to include gender differences, but adding those should be pretty easy if you want me to.
It's only the first alpha. We're a long way from being finished. So don't rush yourself too much. Ideally, more for the gen 5 Pokémon, we do kinda need the male/female sprites. Anyway, point is, don't rush yourself.
__________________
Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
Reply With Quote
  #173    
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:06 PM
dudedude1
.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Ah, sorry. I forgot to include the INI with the file. I'll add it now.
Thanks for that. It helps. Although I was trying to change the INI of Yape and Advanced Series and I got errors like ROM Configuration error or data is not compressed.
Reply With Quote
  #174    
Old November 17th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Jambo51's Avatar
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudedude1 View Post
Thanks for that. It helps. Although I was trying to change the INI of Yape and Advanced Series and I got errors like ROM Configuration error or data is not compressed.
You might get some problems with some of the sprites in any sprite editor because it's not configured to read the male/female/forme spriting system I created.

DO NOT use YAPE. It is incompatible with the new stuff. Use the Pokémon Game Editor instead. That is what the INI is for.
__________________
Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
Reply With Quote
  #175    
Old November 17th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Crimson5M's Avatar
Crimson5M
what
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Scotland
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
So there's no other Pokemon data editor that this will work with?
Damn, looks like I gotta wait 'til Christmas...

OFFTOPIC: That Doctor Who music vid you posted on youtube makes you a god in my eyes.
__________________

Because it should've won HotY.
Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 02:14 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.