The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 18th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Well, it might work with YAPE. But the way YAPE works might cause severe issues. As to everything else, I used the typical tools to edit, so as long as you have updated the INI, it should work fine.

Thanks for the love over the Who theme. Just one thing, I couldn't get the dum-de-dums to sound right, IMO. What did you think of them? Don't reply here, reply in a VM or something.

Last edited by Jambo51; November 18th, 2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old November 18th, 2011, 04:29 AM
dudedude1

Hey Jambo, is there anyway to change the number of footprints visible in Foot Print Editor because I took the offset from the INI but it only lets me view the first 386 and there is no INI to the program so that I can increase the number of footprints. ONce I get that and Pokemon Editor working with the new data I can do movesets and footprints for you so you can focus on the other things.
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudedude1 View Post
Hey Jambo, is there anyway to change the number of footprints visible in Foot Print Editor because I took the offset from the INI but it only lets me view the first 386 and there is no INI to the program so that I can increase the number of footprints. ONce I get that and Pokemon Editor working with the new data I can do movesets and footprints for you so you can focus on the other things.
Not that i'm aware of. However, you could "trick" the programme into reading from a different offset. AFAIK, it still reads from the overall INI for the pointer to the footprint table, correct?

You could simply change that pointer in the INI so that it starts at slot 252 (as that's where Turtwig is) and go from there.
Old November 18th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Awkward Squirtle
,@,e .ºoO

Just wondering, have you seen this thread? It was an effort by some guys ( a few years ago to do essentially the same task you've done (unlock the Pokédex limits); as far as I know, it was never completed, though. This looks like it's achieved what they did and more; although I'm not a ROM hacker (never had the patience for ASM, and not a fan of tools that do everything for you), I applaud you for what you're pulling off here. I might just have to learn some ROM hacking so I can use this

Maybe I could try programming a Pokémon editing tool compatible with an extended Pokédex? I'm really busy with my university course at the moment, but I'll have some spare time in a few weeks when I can do something.

Also, the bug with Kanto Pokémon evolutions must be related in some way to FR/LG's blocking of those evolutions before the national dex is obtained. I'm sure you already know this, but I'm just making sure
Old November 18th, 2011, 12:38 PM
dudedude1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Not that i'm aware of. However, you could "trick" the programme into reading from a different offset. AFAIK, it still reads from the overall INI for the pointer to the footprint table, correct?

You could simply change that pointer in the INI so that it starts at slot 252 (as that's where Turtwig is) and go from there.
Well the program's folder did not included an actually INI with it but you can chose which offset it starts reading at. So all I need to do is find the offeset of Turtwig and go on from there and you'll have your footprints!
Old November 18th, 2011, 02:29 PM
romancandle
Togepi

Nature: Adamant
When I use the Pokemon Editor program from the Game Editor, it asks me for a password when I want to use the Jambo51 evolution list. I can't find the password--can someone tell me it so I may check out the evolutions?
Old November 18th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by romancandle View Post
When I use the Pokemon Editor program from the Game Editor, it asks me for a password when I want to use the Jambo51 evolution list. I can't find the password--can someone tell me it so I may check out the evolutions?
I'll un-password it by next release. I'd rather not give out the password since no one should really be trying to do things with the alpha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awkward Squirtle View Post
Just wondering, have you seen this thread? It was an effort by some guys ( a few years ago to do essentially the same task you've done (unlock the Pokédex limits); as far as I know, it was never completed, though. This looks like it's achieved what they did and more; although I'm not a ROM hacker (never had the patience for ASM, and not a fan of tools that do everything for you), I applaud you for what you're pulling off here. I might just have to learn some ROM hacking so I can use this

Maybe I could try programming a Pokémon editing tool compatible with an extended Pokédex? I'm really busy with my university course at the moment, but I'll have some spare time in a few weeks when I can do something.

Also, the bug with Kanto Pokémon evolutions must be related in some way to FR/LG's blocking of those evolutions before the national dex is obtained. I'm sure you already know this, but I'm just making sure
There actually is a Pokemon Editor in PGE that supports Jambo's new formats.

A present to people learning to make ROM hacking tools. - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Functions.zip

If you want a successor to PGE then download this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=311461

This site likes to keep things quiet and buries things. Over the years I have seen many injustices on this website to members of the ROM hacking community. Some where even very important people in the community that are now gone. If you want a website where you will be treated fairly and you can voice your opinion while learning more about ROM hacking then please join the following website.
http://pokemonhackersonline.com/

Last edited by Gamer2020; November 18th, 2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:11 PM
romancandle
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer2020 View Post

I'll un-password it by next release. I'd rather not give out the password since no one should really be trying to do things with the alpha.
Ah, I apologize. I was actually just interested in seeing what all was actually introduced--like the attacks and abilities.
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Wesley FG

This is my best weekend notice,
i testing the patch at now,
thanks so much friend,
i really apreciated your work!
Old November 19th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudedude1 View Post
Well the program's folder did not included an actually INI with it but you can chose which offset it starts reading at. So all I need to do is find the offeset of Turtwig and go on from there and you'll have your footprints!
I had a quick look last night, and the programme doesn't have the ability to use custom offsets. I tell you what, insert the footprints over the first 260 (or however many it is) slots, and I'll transplant them into the main patch when you're done. Sound reasonable?
The same would also work with the movesets, as long as you tell me where the stuff is lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley FG View Post
This is my best weekend notice,
i testing the patch at now,
thanks so much friend,
i really apreciated your work!
You are most welcome, my friend.
Old November 19th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote:
I had a quick look last night, and the programme doesn't have the ability to use custom offsets. I tell you what, insert the footprints over the first 260 (or however many it is) slots, and I'll transplant them into the main patch when you're done. Sound reasonable?
The same would also work with the movesets, as long as you tell me where the stuff is lol.

You are most welcome, my friend.
The FootPrintEditor thing does support custom offsets. You put in the offset of the footprint you are editing, not the table.

A present to people learning to make ROM hacking tools. - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Functions.zip

If you want a successor to PGE then download this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=311461

This site likes to keep things quiet and buries things. Over the years I have seen many injustices on this website to members of the ROM hacking community. Some where even very important people in the community that are now gone. If you want a website where you will be treated fairly and you can voice your opinion while learning more about ROM hacking then please join the following website.
http://pokemonhackersonline.com/
Old November 21st, 2011, 06:54 PM
oxenh
Beginning Trainer

i will test the patch right away
many thanks
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:07 PM
shinyabsol1
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Nature: Calm
Hey Jambo51, this is some really impressive work! What you have managed to do is incredible, and I'm enjoying testing it out.

However, I'm experiencing a few problems that nobody else has posted about (maybe they are problems only for me because I have missed or done something wrong?):

1). You said that some sprites in the pokedex might be missing...but what about in wild encounters? For me, a bunch of pokemon (including Roserade and Biberal) have no sprite, and appear as glitchy squares when I attempt to look view them while in my party.

2). For some reason, advance map won't let me choose from ALL of the new pokemon you inserted--only Turtwig through Bastiodon--to set as encounter-able in the wild.

Any idea why I might be having these issues?

Thanks, and keep up the good work!
Old November 22nd, 2011, 04:20 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Answers to shinyabsol1:

1) Exactly the same issue as the Pokédex screen. Missing Data

2) A-Map isn't compatible with the new Pokémon because A-Map has (I think) built in limits preventing use of ID's higher than that of Chimecho (ID of Chimecho is 411). You CAN hex edit the data and then open the map in A-Map. It will not crash, but the Wild Data will show empty slots. No Bug - Compatibility Issue

Since these issues are NOT research related, I'm gonna see if I can make a new thread in the Sideshow Hacks section for this patch. Please report any bugs to that thread in future rather than here, as this is meant to be an R&D thread. We should try to keep this thread specifically for findings/research about this subject.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:07 PM
shinyabsol1
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51
Answers to shinyabsol1:

1) Exactly the same issue as the Pokédex screen. Missing Data

2) A-Map isn't compatible with the new Pokémon because A-Map has (I think) built in limits preventing use of ID's higher than that of Chimecho (ID of Chimecho is 411). You CAN hex edit the data and then open the map in A-Map. It will not crash, but the Wild Data will show empty slots. No Bug - Compatibility Issue

Since these issues are NOT research related, I'm gonna see if I can make a new thread in the Sideshow Hacks section for this patch. Please report any bugs to that thread in future rather than here, as this is meant to be an R&D thread. We should try to keep this thread specifically for findings/research about this subject.
Ok.

Thanks for answering.
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

So I took a look at your patch and noticed one thing: You're not using separate index numbers for forme changes. I think that's what's causing you a lot of trouble, take a look at this:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...neration_IV%29

In Generation IV, all Pokemon forme changes have separate index numbers, in other words, internally, Giratina Altered and Giratina Origin are counted as separate Pokemon. It appears that in Gen V they developed a new system where forme change don't use separate index numbers, but this is Gen III, so I'm assuming data structures would be closer to Gen IV than Gen V.

Is there a reason why you chose not to use separate index numbers for forme changes, or did you just not know that Gen IV did that? I believe it would save you a lot of trouble, because then you can handle forme changes (even type changes) simply by changing the Pokemon in your party to a different one in-real time. I'm assuming that wouldn't be that hard with ASM.

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS

Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old November 27th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

The main reason I chose to do it Gen 5 style, was because I felt it would be neater in the long run. There's more background code to deal with it, but there's MUCH less data stored in the ROM.

I actually have the formes working with my code (well - the code to handle the differences between formes exists), but there is currently no existing way to activate them. This is something I'm actually working on.

Also, because of the checksum, changing anything in the Pokémon data directly can be extremely hazardous.

My solution was to make use of an otherwise unused set of bits in the Pokémon data, which is the upper 4 bits of the "Mark" byte. These 4 bits allow 16 possibilities for differing formes, which is more than enough for all the existing Pokémon (Arceus aside - but Arceus was easy to do, as it's simply based on a held item).

Harder? - Undoubtedly.
More Impressive - I'd argue it is.
Old November 27th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote:
Also, because of the checksum, changing anything in the Pokémon data directly can be extremely hazardous.
Well I'm not that knowledgeable on things like this, but changing the index number of a Pokemon in your save file will mess up the checksum?

I do agree, it is more impressive to do it the Gen V way. Also I have a question, does your patch have gender differences (or at least you have it planned and tested and working).

Also another question, I noticed that in the Gen III games, index number 412 (right after Chimecho) is the extra Unown forms. I noticed in your patch that 412 is Burmy. How are you keeping the Unown forms?

Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old November 28th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

When writing to the Pokémon's data, you risk changing something which should have an effect in the checksum. Without updating this checksum, the Pokémon will instantly become a Bad Egg.

My way of doing the formes avoids this potential problem by not writing to that area of data. It simply keeps the same Pokemon, calling the stat recalculator if necessary. It also takes much less space in terms of seperate data.

The code for gender differences is mixed in with the formes, since I reasoned that they were technically a variation on formes. Like Arceus however, nothing is directly stored to the Pokémon data which determines its gender, it is simply calculated on the fly as necessary. The Sprites are missing however.

Actually, the EGG is sprite 412. But that's nitpicking. To answer your question, I inserted a little bit of extra code at the sprite getting locations, with checks against the Sprite number and the Species ID (both are in the registers at this stage in FR). Simply, If it's Unown, I load a different table offset, and subtract the necessary number of sprites to make it fit, and if it's the EGG sprite ID, I check if the Pokémon the sprite request came from is an egg. Even if it is a Burmy AND an EGG, it will automatically display the EGG sprite until it hatches.

More complicated than necessary, but that's what happens when you forget that the Unown sprites (and EGG sprites) follow directly on from the "Normal" sprites.

EDITED TO ADD: I managed to get formes to recalculate stats when activated based on the current forme.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYawCGXDB9E

Last edited by Jambo51; December 1st, 2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old December 4th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Minor issue I noticed: It doesn't save on actual GBA hardware. I tested it with my EZFlash3in1 on my DS. Well, it does save kinda, but if you turn it off and load it up, you get, "The save file is corrupt. The previous save file will be loaded." And then it will kinda load, but it was all glitchy, since I saved in Viridian Forest but it loaded in Pallet Town for some reason.

If you soft reset, then you get, "The save file is deleted...". I'm assuming this all has to do with the save block hack.

Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
Minor issue I noticed: It doesn't save on actual GBA hardware. I tested it with my EZFlash3in1 on my DS. Well, it does save kinda, but if you turn it off and load it up, you get, "The save file is corrupt. The previous save file will be loaded." And then it will kinda load, but it was all glitchy, since I saved in Viridian Forest but it loaded in Pallet Town for some reason.

If you soft reset, then you get, "The save file is deleted...". I'm assuming this all has to do with the save block hack.
It probably does, but I genuinely couldn't comment on it, as I didn't develop it. I never said that the code would work on GBA, but it's nice to know it doesn't. JPAN would know more than me though.
Old December 6th, 2011, 07:53 PM
[AgR] Nightmare
Beginning Trainer

Quote:

Sorry man, but i don't understand as edit wild pokemon...
Old December 9th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by [AgR] Nightmare View Post
Sorry man, but i don't understand as edit wild pokemon...

What on earth do you mean? That post makes no sense....
Old December 12th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Wiznatts

So I got really busy right after I said I'd have the rest of the generation done in a week. Oh well, its not like there was any huge rush or anything. But, I'm done, at least with the vanilla versions of all of them. I still have to do things like the Rotom Formes, but that list is much shorter.

I formatted everything for insertion with Wichu's Advance series, so I'm not sure how useful that is for you, but I also have them all organized in folders with individual sprites. I've attached both since I'm not sure which is better for you. The one with the folders is the New Sprites.zip and the one formatted for the Advance series is Gen 4.zip. Just make sure and credit the following people:
WesleyFG, ChaosRush, Miyuki, Ingrid, Icy and myself. I honestly cannot wait to see this project finished.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Gen 4.zip‎ (562.7 KB, 52 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: zip New Sprites.zip‎ (450.9 KB, 31 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old December 12th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiznatts View Post
So I got really busy right after I said I'd have the rest of the generation done in a week. Oh well, its not like there was any huge rush or anything. But, I'm done, at least with the vanilla versions of all of them. I still have to do things like the Rotom Formes, but that list is much shorter.

I formatted everything for insertion with Wichu's Advance series, so I'm not sure how useful that is for you, but I also have them all organized in folders with individual sprites. I've attached both since I'm not sure which is better for you. The one with the folders is the New Sprites.zip and the one formatted for the Advance series is Gen 4.zip. Just make sure and credit the following people:
WesleyFG, ChaosRush, Miyuki, Ingrid, Icy and myself. I honestly cannot wait to see this project finished.
Do you have permission to post these?
I hope you do

I do actually have Wichu's sprite editor, and it works more or less perfectly for all the "normal" pokémon. ie, those without male/female sprites or formes.
So i'll be able to insert the majority very quickly and easily using that, and do the remainder manually.

And another thing - Thanks!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links