The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 12th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Wiznatts

Advertise here
Yes, I've talked to Wesley about using his sprites and he was totally fine with it. The Togekiss sprite was made by someone for ChaosRush's 493 GBA project here, which was public. I just can't remember the actual user who made it, so I just figured crediting Chaos under the umbrella of it being his project would suffice. The others are all users on another forum that I originally started working on these for as my own project, so I know I can post theirs.
Old December 12th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
I was just making sure after what had happened in this thread in the past, i'm sure you can understand that I was just covering my read end.

I have already inserted the sprites (and removed all the old sprites), and they look so much better.
Now I simply need to fiddle about with the sprites with formes so that they work as well.
Old December 13th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Wiznatts

Completely understandable. There are at least a couple sprites in the pack that might be a little wonky. I know I had problems inserting Infernape for some reason, but I think I have that worked out. Also, the formatted Arcues sprite somehow got two pixels shaved off the shiny back sprite. Using the ones in the folder pack should work fine though. If you find any problems with the pack, would you mind letting me know?
Old December 24th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
Small tip: When inserting movesets with Pokemon Game Editor, you can type in the letter of the move and it will scroll through all the moves that begin with that letter. That way you don't have to painstakingly look for the move by scrolling through the entire list of moves looking for one move. It makes the moveset adding process much, much faster, and I'm assuming that's why most Pokemon don't have a moveset in your patch because it was probably really annoying looking for every single move.

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS

Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old December 25th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Speedster
The Unknown

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
Small tip: When inserting movesets with Pokemon Game Editor, you can type in the letter of the move and it will scroll through all the moves that begin with that letter. That way you don't have to painstakingly look for the move by scrolling through the entire list of moves looking for one move. It makes the moveset adding process much, much faster, and I'm assuming that's why most Pokemon don't have a moveset in your patch because it was probably really annoying looking for every single move.
No need for worry for Jambo there Chaos. I'm taking care of that for him but that helps me a lot to get it done faster.

.:Aegis:.
~coming soon~
Old January 1st, 2012, 09:49 PM
JPAN
pokemon rom researcher

Quote:
Minor issue I noticed: It doesn't save on actual GBA hardware. I tested it with my EZFlash3in1 on my DS. Well, it does save kinda, but if you turn it off and load it up, you get, "The save file is corrupt. The previous save file will be loaded." And then it will kinda load, but it was all glitchy, since I saved in Viridian Forest but it loaded in Pallet Town for some reason.

If you soft reset, then you get, "The save file is deleted...". I'm assuming this all has to do with the save block hack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
It probably does, but I genuinely couldn't comment on it, as I didn't develop it. I never said that the code would work on GBA, but it's nice to know it doesn't. JPAN would know more than me though.
I'm sorry about that. I didn't test in real hardware. But I got my old Supercard and tried it out.
After a couple of tries, I could find something wrong with the old save block hack.
So I made a new one that uses the game's system to save. No more hardware failure possible.
New hack in attatchment. Hope it will not be to troublesome to fix.
Spoiler:
What happens is I made too many assumptions about save files. I dug into the code and found out some things so obvious, I did not see how I missed them.
First, Slots 0x1c and 0x1d are already used by the game itself. True, I don't really know what they save (other than it's at 0x0201c000, and has 0x1f00 bytes), but the save file gets corrupted when you change them by force.
Second, after expanding my search in the Fire red diassembly, I found that all bytes after 0x0203f178 are used up by some other processes in the game (also don't know which).

Third, trying to get Fire Red or above to run in my flashcard was pretty difficult. Apparently, some cards could not handle 128K flash, so they had to rely on external fixes to games that used them. They do so by saving only 64kb of memory (which is the amount truly used in Fire Red). So, at least on Supercard, any and all save memory hacks would fail.

So, I decided to think of a way to use absolutely no extra blocks, while still gaining some saveable bytes. 4kb is more than enough for most hackers, and as such, finding just one block worth of space would be enough.

First, a brief explaning of how Fire Red save blocks are made:
The block is composed of data, and a small footer that contains meta-data. It contains the block number (for loading order), save number (keeps two saves at a time, one save older as a fallback in case of the newer save being corrupt), checksum and a magic number. The number is always the same, and looks like a pointer, but no interesting code is present there. This takes the last 0xc bytes of the block.

Now, this is where waste comes into play. The saves are always stored in (at most) 0xf80 bytes of size. And other than some strain on the physical Flash, there are no reasons for that to be so (that I could find). Leaving the last 0x10 bytes of the block (4bytes + footer), a save block can store +0x70 bytes of data in each, at least.
The game saves the three Dynamic scrambled blocks (indexed by 0x3005008, 0x300500c and 0x3005010) that contain player, map and box data. The first one has 0xf24 bytes, the second has 0x3d68 bytes and the third one has 0x83d0 bytes.
So, they divided the larger ones in blocks of 0xf80 and some leftover bytes at the end.

The list of save sizes is at 083FEC94. other Roms shoud have something similar.

Changing those bytes around, we have the first block stay the same, leaving 0xcc (204) bytes at the end. The second changes the contents to 0xff0 for all except last block with 0xd98 bytes. That is a 0x258 (600) byte leftover. The third block goes through the same process, leaving the last with 0x450 bytes, with 0xba0 (2976) bytes remaining.
That leaves a total of 0xec4 (3780) bytes to be saved. That is pretty near the 4096 bytes.

So, using their own save and load routines, I input a small code that loads and stores to their respective sections our required data.

Note that the load and store routines still see the same (always reads 0x1000 bytes and stores 0x1000 bytes, in any case), but now some of our data is stored with them (like stowaway data).

As I mentioned before, 0x0203f174+ is used by a different process, but I am sure that 0x0203b174 to 0x0203f173 are used by the help screen (In a DMA copy of the last part of the VRAM, address 0x0600c000). So, disable them as in the original hack, and they are still safe. It's the 0203f800 flag region that is not.
Included are the compiled and source code. For the compiled, copy from 34 to e4 to somewhere on the ROM, then from e4 to 11c and paste on top of the Save size pointer (0x083FEC94).
Attached Files
File Type: zip save_block_recycle.zip‎ (1.9 KB, 235 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Currently working on:
Battle Script Documentation
Another large project
Old January 1st, 2012, 11:02 PM
NintendoBoyDX
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAN View Post
Second, after expanding my search in the Fire red diassembly, I found that all bytes after 0x0203f178 are used up by some other processes in the game (also don't know which).
By chance were you using any sort of D/N or RTC? An old one that is around here somewhere used that block for temporary storage if I remember. I'm pretty sure prime-dialga's doesn't though.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 03:36 AM
MsAllyJacqui
I'm different.

Nature: Quirky
This is really, really impressive. I couldn't in a million years figure out how you managed to create this awesomeness. Hopefully, this gets more attention soon because this could change how many people choose to hack third gen games.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 10:08 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

I must be doing something wrong. I inserted the routines, and they work fine.
But on restarting the ROM, the game claims the save game has been corrupted.

I'm well aware that the save will have changed massively due to the change in code - but is this simply because of the new storage locations, or is it down to something else altogether?

EDIT: Looks like it was just because everything has been moved around. After restarting the game and saving the game - the save worked fine.

Last edited by Jambo51; January 2nd, 2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:41 PM
P0kemon Trainer Red
Dragon Type User

So how much progress have you made? What else do you need to do?

Hacks I support:

Old January 24th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Current Patch Progress:

Limiters (100%)
Names (100%)
Front Sprites (77% Started inserting with a new set of sprites)
Back Sprites (77%)
Pokémon Data (100%)
Pokédex Entries (100%)
Movesets (8%)
TM/HM Compatibilities (0%)
Evolution Data (100%)
Evolution Types Added (100%)
Icons (100%)
Cries (100%)
Footprints (100%)
Pokédex Habitat Data (100%)
New Base Exp System (100%)
Black/White Experience System (90%)
Item Use Coordinates (0%)
Gen 4/5 Moves (100% Data, 0% effects for status attacks)
Gen 4/5 Move Animations (0%)
Formes (100% data and reading routines, 10% writing routines)
Extra TMs (100%)
Music Extension Hack (100%)
Item Extension Hack (100% - Gives you an extra 300 extra item slots, of which 45 are the new TMs, to play around with, as well as the free slots in the existing table for a total of 675 items)
Abilities (100% names, 41% assignments to species, 13% routines)
Old January 24th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Speedster
The Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Current Patch Progress:

Limiters (100%)
Names (100%)
Front Sprites (77% Started inserting with a new set of sprites)
Back Sprites (77%)
Pokémon Data (100%)
Pokédex Entries (100%)
Movesets (8%)
TM/HM Compatibilities (0%)
Evolution Data (100%)
Evolution Types Added (100%)
Icons (100%)
Cries (100%)
Footprints (100%)
Pokédex Habitat Data (100%)
New Base Exp System (100%)
Black/White Experience System (90%)
Item Use Coordinates (0%)
Gen 4/5 Moves (100% Data, 0% effects for status attacks)
Gen 4/5 Move Animations (0%)
Formes (100% data and reading routines, 10% writing routines)
Extra TMs (100%)
Music Extension Hack (100%)
Item Extension Hack (100% - Gives you an extra 300 extra item slots, of which 45 are the new TMs, to play around with, as well as the free slots in the existing table for a total of 675 items)
Abilities (100% names, 41% assignments to species, 13% routines)
Very, very excellent. Your work for the community of ROM hacks is really paying off.

I finished exams just recently so I have a bit more free time for the movesets and TM/HM compatibilities.

I can assign the abilities to each Pokemon if needed.

I can collect images or something for 5th Gen move animations if that helps bring that number past 0.

All and all you are doing great and keep up the good work Jambo.

.:Aegis:.
~coming soon~

Last edited by Speedster; January 24th, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

I should've said, the few abilities I've got to work so far are the passive ones. What I mean by that is that the abilities affect one small thing somewhere in the background of the game's calculations, rather than having a message printed to screen or whatever when they're activated.

I got the following abilities working:
Spoiler:

Simple
Contrary
Victory Star
Adaptability
Iron Fist
Rivalry
Heatproof (Attacks have halved damage, still haven't found the burn damage calculator)
Unaware
Tinted Lens
Filter
Solid Rock

The only bug thus far is that when Contrary is activated, the game still calls the normal animation and text, rather than the opposite animation, but the actual data itself is correctly written.
Old January 28th, 2012, 04:10 AM
MalikX
Beginning Trainer

Hello, I just tried changing the bytes as you told us to enable evolutions without national dex and it works well (I haven't actually changed the bytes myself, I did through the use of Misc Editor) except when I use stones. When I use those, it just says "huh?" like it normally does and the evolution wouldn't happen. Is it a malfunction of Misc Editor or something else?
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Shiny Quagsire
どないやねん, ヤドン

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalikX View Post
Hello, I just tried changing the bytes as you told us to enable evolutions without national dex and it works well (I haven't actually changed the bytes myself, I did through the use of Misc Editor) except when I use stones. When I use those, it just says "huh?" like it normally does and the evolution wouldn't happen. Is it a malfunction of Misc Editor or something else?
This is because you don't have the National Dex. If you've ever played Fire Red with a golbat or chansey, they'll try to evolve along the way, but it'll end in "Huh?" The National Dex is set with a flag. It should be listed in XSE tough.

Old January 28th, 2012, 12:38 PM
MalikX
Beginning Trainer

I know, I just changed the bytes at OxOCE91A to 00 00 14 E0 and the evolutions work now just fine even without the national dex, except in the case of evolution stones.
Old January 28th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
I know, I just changed the bytes at OxOCE91A to 00 00 14 E0 and the evolutions work now just fine even without the national dex, except in the case of evolution stones.
Quote:
I think I overlooked the code which runs that check for the evo stones. I'll look into it shortly.
Old January 31st, 2012, 10:13 AM
MalikX
Beginning Trainer

So, did you find anything?
Old May 16th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Jappa

Quote:
Just letting you know that I'm currently working on properly resizing all Pokemon sprites with the same ratio, all saved in files ready to be used with Wichu's sprite editor:
Spoiler:

img809.imageshack.us/img809/8315/projectg.png
Could you upload the backsprites you previewed earlier? Thnx man awesome work!
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:03 PM
Fireredkid
Beginning Trainer

I like to report a bug in your hack Jambo after I talk to the howto catch pokemon old man when I go into a wild pokemon battle instead of seeing Red's backsprite I see the old man's backsprite and the select pokemon screen (where you switch the pokemon on your team around) it's a bit glitchy the same happens after you watch the pokedude and if you run knock out or catch the pokemon you'll go back to the main Teachy Tv screen
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:19 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
So, did you find anything?
I checked and checked and checked, and nothing seems to be amiss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireredkid View Post
I like to report a bug in your hack Jambo after I talk to the howto catch pokemon old man when I go into a wild pokemon battle instead of seeing Red's backsprite I see the old man's backsprite and the select pokemon screen (where you switch the pokemon on your team around) it's a bit glitchy the same happens after you watch the pokedude and if you run knock out or catch the pokemon you'll go back to the main Teachy Tv screen
I can't replicate this. At one stage, there was a bug with the old man tutorial, but that was fixed some time ago. Try repatching and trying again.
Old July 19th, 2012, 07:36 AM
FrozenInfernoZX
Legendary Trainer ZX

Send a message via AIM to FrozenInfernoZX
I created a regional dex of 253 Pokemon by increasing the limiters. But I am not sure how to make the Pokedex counter to detect the Pokemon from 152 to 253. These Pokemon show up as caught and seen, but are not counted towards the Pokedex total.
Old July 19th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Modest
Code:
08104BF2                 CMP     R0, #0x96
I believe this is what "counts" the seen Pokemon for the RegionalDex.

Full routine:
Spoiler:
Code:
08104BBC @ =============== S U B R O U T I N E =======================================
08104BBC
08104BBC
08104BBC CountSeenPokemon:                       @ CODE XREF: sub_0810250C+F0p
08104BBC                                         @ sub_0810250C+FEp ...
08104BBC                 PUSH    {R4-R7,LR}
08104BBE                 LSLS    R0, R0, #0x18
08104BC0                 LSRS    R6, R0, #0x18
08104BC2                 LSLS    R1, R1, #0x18
08104BC4                 LSRS    R1, R1, #0x18
08104BC6                 MOVS    R5, #0
08104BC8                 CMP     R1, #0
08104BCA                 BEQ     RegionalDex
08104BCC                 CMP     R1, #1
08104BCE                 BEQ     NationalDex
08104BD0                 B       Error
08104BD2 @ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
08104BD2
08104BD2 RegionalDex:                            @ CODE XREF: CountSeenPokemon+Ej
08104BD2                 MOVS    R0, #0
08104BD4
08104BD4 loc_08104BD4:                           @ CODE XREF: CountSeenPokemon+38j
08104BD4                 ADDS    R0, #1
08104BD6                 LSLS    R0, R0, #0x10
08104BD8                 LSRS    R4, R0, #0x10
08104BDA                 MOVS    R0, R4
08104BDC                 MOVS    R1, R6
08104BDE                 MOVS    R2, #0
08104BE0                 BL      dex_flag_check
08104BE4                 LSLS    R0, R0, #0x18
08104BE6                 CMP     R0, #0
08104BE8                 BEQ     loc_08104BF0
08104BEA                 ADDS    R0, R5, #1
08104BEC                 LSLS    R0, R0, #0x10
08104BEE                 LSRS    R5, R0, #0x10
08104BF0
08104BF0 loc_08104BF0:                           @ CODE XREF: CountSeenPokemon+2Cj
08104BF0                 MOVS    R0, R4
08104BF2                 CMP     R0, #0x96
08104BF4                 BLS     loc_08104BD4
08104BF6                 B       Error
08104BF8 @ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
08104BF8
08104BF8 NationalDex:                            @ CODE XREF: CountSeenPokemon+12j
08104BF8                 MOVS    R0, #0
08104BFA                 LDR     R7, =0x181
08104BFC
08104BFC loc_08104BFC:                           @ CODE XREF: CountSeenPokemon+60j
08104BFC                 ADDS    R0, #1
08104BFE                 LSLS    R0, R0, #0x10
08104C00                 LSRS    R4, R0, #0x10
08104C02                 MOVS    R0, R4
08104C04                 MOVS    R1, R6
08104C06                 MOVS    R2, #0
08104C08                 BL      dex_flag_check
08104C0C                 LSLS    R0, R0, #0x18
08104C0E                 CMP     R0, #0
08104C10                 BEQ     loc_08104C18
08104C12                 ADDS    R0, R5, #1
08104C14                 LSLS    R0, R0, #0x10
08104C16                 LSRS    R5, R0, #0x10
08104C18
08104C18 loc_08104C18:                           @ CODE XREF: CountSeenPokemon+54j
08104C18                 MOVS    R0, R4
08104C1A                 CMP     R0, R7
08104C1C                 BLS     loc_08104BFC
08104C1E
08104C1E Error:                                  @ CODE XREF: CountSeenPokemon+14j
08104C1E                                         @ CountSeenPokemon+3Aj
08104C1E                 MOVS    R0, R5
08104C20                 POP     {R4-R7}
08104C22                 POP     {R1}
08104C24                 BX      R1
08104C24 @ End of function CountSeenPokemon
08104C24
08104C24 @ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
08104C26                 .byte    0
08104C27                 .byte    0
08104C28 dword_08104C28: .long 0x181             @ DATA XREF: CountSeenPokemon+3Er
Old July 19th, 2012, 07:54 PM
FrozenInfernoZX
Legendary Trainer ZX

Send a message via AIM to FrozenInfernoZX
Oh, alright. Thanks alot!
Old July 28th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Ark_Silvanos

Hmmm... one more thing i noticed while trying to extend the regional dex is that the pokemon's numbers dont show up on the summary screen (shows up as ???). Not that much of a big thing, but it would be a little more neater.... if someone had a fix?

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here