The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups

Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 12th, 2011, 08:14 AM
G.U.Y.
Bubblegum Betch
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonH View Post
So! This past weekend I went to the Secular Student Alliance Annual Conference, where I got to meet a bunch of awesome people, listen to some awesome talks, and all in all just have a great time surrounded by like-minded people.

I was received the third place award for "Best High School Activist", which I really didn't deserve when compared to the others.

But yeah, if any of you get the chance to attend a conference like this, I recommend it. It's absolutely wonderful.
Interesting! o:

What have you done, if you don't mind me asking.

♫ Sold my soul and yes the truth hurt ♪
Old August 12th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it...
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Mind if I join? I'm atheist, and a very strong one at that. I recently was on "The Thinking Atheist" podcast.
Old August 12th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Gymnotide
8377 | Scorpaeniform

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX0990 View Post
Mind if I join? I'm atheist, and a very strong one at that. I recently was on "The Thinking Atheist" podcast.
Anyone can join a club on PC XD
What's that?

"I want to tear myself from this place, from this reality, rise up like a cloud and float away, melt into this humid summer night and dissolve somewhere far, over the hills. But I am here, my legs blocks of concrete, my lungs empty of air, my throat burning. There will be no floating away."

Khaled Hosseini

→ Refresh for a different picture
→ White FC: Haruka 0347 0171 1756

whoever disabled my signature:
my signature is not even close to 300px tall.
i dont understand why it was disabled.
Old August 12th, 2011, 10:11 PM
HarrisonH
I doubt Pokemon will be a hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landorus View Post
Interesting! o:

What have you done, if you don't mind me asking.
I'm the second student to speak in the video from the other page :P That's where I tell my story.

But like I said, compared to the others (Jess got first place, and Zack got second) I did nothing to deserve the award I received.
Old August 13th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
I'm BACK! I got so wrapped up in the LGBT club that I totally forgot I was part of the atheistic alliance. I won't make that mistake again, I hate being inactive. I haven't posted since May 29... not cool man.

When in [public] school, did you ever experience the school itself pushing religion on the students?

In primary school, we had weekly scripture lessons. I didn't think that much of it at the time, being a kid and all, but now that I'm grown I realise how perverse it was. This was just a regular public school with no ties to a religious organisation, yet they still allowed a group of old ladies come and teach us about Jesus each week. It doesn't sit well with me anymore. If kids want to learn about Jesus they can go to a church.

In high school, we had a yearly "Exo Day". I don't even know what that word means, but it was a big Christian festival type thing aimed at pushing Christianity on the youth by making it 'cool'. I was old enough to vocally disagree with that one. I'm not sure if it was more offensive that they were trying to push religion on us or that they were implying religion was cool.

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old August 13th, 2011, 06:26 PM
G.U.Y.
Bubblegum Betch
Community Supporter

Do you believe in Karma?
Karma is a flawed belief in that it implies the world is fair..in my opinion. Just saying.

Old August 13th, 2011, 06:53 PM
HarrisonH

Who wants an awesome free poster in celebration of the 187th birthday of The Great Agnostic, Robert G. Ingersoll?

Before anyone asks, yes the Center for Inquiry is reputable (and completely awesome), no they aren't going to sell your information, and yes you will get the poster as it says.

If you're still in school (college or high school), you should check out the CFI On Campus part of their site. :D
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:52 PM
G.U.Y.
Bubblegum Betch
Community Supporter

o: I totally just ordered me a free poster. Thanks for sharing that, Harrison!

"Please allow 2–4 weeks for delivery" That's the worst thing about free stuff.

Old August 15th, 2011, 11:48 PM
U_Flame
Brony Hacker

Location: UnderwaterSapphire in Hoenn 100 years in the future
Hello. I'm an agnostic person who loves George Carlin and Erich von Daniken.
I believe Karma can exist in different ways. I've seen messed up examples of the belief that any wrong-doing is punished with their children. Most of my family turned from my mom for horrible prejudice reasons, and now the ones that did's children are having serious health problems. The ones that stuck by my mom are not having problems.

The world can be very unfair, but I believe Karma does exist.

Times I've been ninja'd: 16
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarixio View Post
Unbeatable Flame would make a pokemon trainer run outta breath in the anime:
Unbeatable Flame, Flamethrower.
Unbeatable Flame, Sky Uppercut.
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Un*pant*beatable---Flame, hooollaaa
Un-un-un-un--bea-bee....*Pokemon trainer fainted*
Old August 29th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Bela
Pokémon Rose Creator
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Hey everybody!

I created a chatroom for us to discuss atheism, among other things, on the same server as the main PC chat. The channel is named #Atheism in case you want to join!

That post looks pretty cool by the way--I'll have to consider ordering one!
Old August 31st, 2011, 02:23 PM
Samurai X
La Dolce Vita

Hey guys. I just came back to PC to check things out and I saw this club which wasn't around before and decided I wanted to join.

Just to add something else that I saw in the OP:

Yes I do believe in aliens and I even believe there is intelligent life somewhere in the galaxy just based on the enormous size of the universe, so probability basically. However I don't think they are anywhere near us like a lot of UFO conspiracy theorists believe. No offense to anyone who may believe that.
Old September 25th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Blue Rose
Beginning Trainer

Hi, I'd love to join this club! It's a bit dead, but hopefully I'm not joining too late.

Anyway, regarding aliens, I am a firm believer they exist. They may not be as creepy/cool as sci-fi describes them, but seeing how vast this universe is, I'd be surprised/shocked if there weren't any other living creatures.
Old October 11th, 2011, 04:23 PM
HarrisonH

Time for a revival! (Sorta)

This past weekend, I traveled to speak at the Freedom From Religion Foundation's National Convention in Hartford, Connecticut.

Check out what I saw on the way from the airport:

Old November 11th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Katholic Nun

-clears throat-

I AM YOUR NEW ATHEISTIC OVERLORD

Yeah, I've taken over the club. It died a while ago and I've come to the conclusion that it is our fault for being lazy with it. But no longer!

It is after midnight here, so I'll go through and update the member list (assuming this needs doing) and fix everything up later, but I have to make this post now or else the club will reach its 30-day time limit and die.

It is a new era for the Atheist Alliance!

So, lets get some discussion going in here!

Have you ever doubted your beliefs as an atheist?

PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old November 11th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Raizhu
the end

I guess I'll join, since I'm an atheist.
Not really. Sometimes I do wonder if there is a higher being out there, but overall, no. I can't imagine a god out there.
Old November 13th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Misheard Whisper
#1 Yancy fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Misheard Whisper
I'll join because, as Hemingway said, 'every thinking man is an atheist'. Also because I'm cool like that.

Not really, but that's not to say I haven't tried. I was raised Catholic, started to doubt, realised it was all rubbish, and decided I was an atheist. A while ago, I had a minor crisis when I realised I was accepting atheism as blindly as I'd accepted Catholicism all my life, so I panicked a bit, read a few books from both sides of the debate, then realised I had nothing to worry about. So now I'm set, regardless of how people may try to sway me.
Old November 14th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Gumball Watterson
"79% of stair accidents happen on stairs."
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Atheistic Overlord? Nice oxymoron there :P

Nope. Ever since I went from Humanist/Agnostic to all out Atheist I've basically associate religion with delusion.
Old November 18th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Samurai X
La Dolce Vita

Not since becoming one. I had doubts on both sides before believing in what I do now but not since then.

Do any of you guys get annoyed by people who confuse atheists with people who say god can't exist and don't realize that we just believe god doesn't exist?

I don't simply because most of the time they're just ignorant on atheism but understand when I explain even if they don't agree.

Also has anyone seen the BBC series The Atheism Tapes ? It's a pretty good little series. I especially enjoyed the Steven Weinberg tape.
Old November 18th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Mr. Tommy
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Calm
Kindly sign me up in this atheist alliance. I am an atheist because I believe in science, logic, and proof. There are no scientific proofs that god exists and if god do exists, then, why are his promises still not yet fulfilled? Some of them are fulfilled but all of those fulfilled are continuous from the start. If god exists, then, why are there many religions popping out? If there's a god, he would only let one religion exist, his religion and no other than that. By the way, I am a member of the Philippine Atheists and Agnostic Society (PATAS), an atheistic group in the Philippines.

What's your view on same-sex marriage?

Well, I support marriage equality. What's wrong with that? And by the way, if the couple loves each other, why not marry them. It's their human right.

What's your view on abortion?

I am pro-abortion. If releasing other baby would affect the health of the woman, why not just abort the baby?

What's your view on death penalty?

I'm OK with death penalty. If someone really deserves it, then he/she should be given a death penalty. Reclusión perpetua is not enough especially if the crime committed by the criminal is horrible crime against the law. I'm just against death penalty if the reason for death penalty is related with religion or because of being LGBT.
Old November 19th, 2011, 03:49 AM
FrostPheonix
Eternity.

Nature: Quiet
Just clarifying, I'm not atheist. despite me being on the member list. If thats a requirement, take me off. I'm just here cuz I luv debating with you guys
Old November 19th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Katholic Nun

I apologise for my absence here, I have been horribly busy with real life stuff that has hopefully gone away now lol. Anyway welcome to Raizhu, Misheard Whisper and Mr. Tommy!

Nope. The second I became an atheist it was such a freeing moment that I've never looked back. In that moment, so many things I'd been questioning about the world clicked immediately into place and suddenly it all made sense: there is no God and there never was. I finally felt at liberty to live the way I wanted without fear of retribution. I think any person who feels that and then looks back is a fool. Since then, I've of course read up on it and only managed to confirm my beliefs with the logic of some of the greatest minds of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostPheonix View Post
Just clarifying, I'm not atheist. despite me being on the member list. If thats a requirement, take me off. I'm just here cuz I luv debating with you guys
Of course it's not a requirement! All are welcome

PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
Old November 20th, 2011, 10:46 PM
FrostPheonix
Eternity.

Nature: Quiet
oh, happy to hear that .

Lets get discussion going! Umm.....

What are your views on evolution? I believe they are hogwash. But that may be just cuz I have a religion.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:54 PM
Gumball Watterson
"79% of stair accidents happen on stairs."
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Quote:
oh, happy to hear that ^^.

What are your views on evolution? I believe they are hogwash. But that may be just cuz I have a religion.
Evolution is not something you believe in. Evolution is a theory strongly supported by research in biology. If you believe evolution is hogwash, say why. Or is it that you don't have the sufficient understanding nor prudence to do so? Allow me to enlighten you:

Humans don't come from monkeys. The theory does imply that humans and primates have a common ancestor that adapted to different surroundings and genetic conditions over time to give rise to each respective species.

The reason why religious people are so eager to dismiss this theory might be because it is very hard for them to conceive the massive time scales that are demanded by the theory of evolution. The time required for minor changes in a species can be of about 500 years if you consider a species with lifetimes such as 20 years to reproduce. This means about 25 generations of genetic variation and mutation can occur among, say 2 offspring per each of such an animal. Simple math concludes that there will be 2^25 of the species in the end, and over 500 years the family tree will involve sum(i=1 to 25, 2^i) descendants of an original animal. Statistically, that would mean that the final descendants shouldn't even have a single chromosome from this original parent unless the number of chromosomes of this animal was sufficiently large.

Now, not all of these organisms will survive. Specific combinations and mutations will cut the final sum by a bit, as some of the organisms won't reproduce at all or even reproduce more than once. Some organisms might also mate within this family tree. A fair approximation for the final number of organisms that lived within these 500 years would be more in the range of sum(i=1 to 20) or sum(i=1 to 23). Do you know what the value of the former is?

2,097,150 organisms

Within 500 years, a single parent's traits are mutated, matched, and successful through 2 million organisms. No doubt some in tree breeding definitely happened, but most of such is already accounted for in approximation under the necessary assumption that the species has sufficient initial numbers. Furthermore, this result is nicer than the perfect theoretical sum(i=1 to 25, 2^i), which is, by the way, 67,108,862 organisms

And that's just for 500 years. Imagine the scale of change within 5,000, or even 5 million years, which is also nothing compared to the geological age of the earth, 4,500,000,000 years.

But you can't even conceive such age, because nobody can even conceive life beyond a normal lifespan of 90 years.

Natural selection is a much stronger theory--pretty much a fact-- than Evolution, since it is observable with current organisms. But if you truly think about the timescales and consistencies, Evolution is a necessary by-product of natural selection.
Old November 25th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Katholic Nun

To my mind, not believing in evolution (or by extension, natural selection) is the same as saying "I don't believe in science". The idea that a person could completely disregard something that years and years of research has gone into proving... it seems more than a little ignorant. Going into the science of it myself would be redundant since AK47 has just done it better than I ever could, but if you're choosing to believe in a God the existence of whom is essentially (and conveniently) impossible to prove instead of a scientific theory where you can be shown tactile evidence... I don't understand that.

PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
Old November 25th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
oh, happy to hear that ^^.

I'm a Catholic but I accept evolution. Saying it is hogwash when there's is evidence to strongly support it, and there being genetic links is just ignorance and only makes you look like an idiot.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links