The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Old April 21st, 2011, 07:23 PM
Reck
Supreme Overlord

Nature: Bold

.::Reck's Sprite Expo::.

.::Background::.

A few years ago I decided to pick up tileset making because, at the time, tile artists were few and thin. Over time I have become more experienced with the art of spriting, and believe myself to be an above average pixel artist, and would love for people to use and appreciate my work. For this reason, I have decided to make my sprites available for public use on several conditions... One, Proper credit is given to me for their use... Two, you let me know that you are using them so I can take a look at your project every now and then.

.::New Tiles::.

.::Old Tiles::.

.::Fakemon::.

.::Notes::.
Follow the Pixel Art section Guidelines found here.

These sprites are not formatted to any specific game making program.

Credit is required for use!!

I will add sprites when I feel motivated. Want me to be motivated? Comment on my work.

I do requests, so shot me some PMs and VMs, or leave a comment here.

Thanks for the view! Now why not leave a comment?

Last edited by Reck; April 12th, 2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Update.
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:55 PM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to ~Anbuja
i don't know why you ask for support i think your tiles are great i have seen other that you had made and theyre are good too you'r pallete using is maybe a bit different and you could try to recolour them a little more with colours or something but anyways you'r tiles are good and after you asked you have my suport on those make more and mroe you'r good at it and don;t give something up your good in....anyways i have dowloaded the old tiles and such and after you wanted to be asked can i use some of your tiles??
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:48 AM
Reck
Supreme Overlord

Thanks Anbuja's_BlooDY! That means a lot, and ill try not to get tired of it this time, haha, and you have my permission to use my tiles. Just be sure to give credit.

I just updated and now have a gym, another house, and i made the other two houses match the Poke Center pallet wise. Please give me your feedback.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 06:26 AM
Sora's Nobody
The Official Roxas

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sora's Nobody
They look good, but the palette's are so bland.

Sora's Nobody ★ Nothing Yet!
♠The Official Roxas♠ My Stuff:

Old April 24th, 2011, 06:15 AM
sab
Now too much of a life.

Nature: Timid
They mostly look good, but the palletes are a little bland for me, and the roof style for the pokecenter and gym look a little weird for some reason.

On another note, welcome back! I remember you, and the other day I was actully wondering what happened to you, you used to be one of the most popular tile artists on pc, and it's good to see you get back into the game.
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
Where did the black outlines go?
Old April 24th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Reck
Supreme Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sora's Nobody View Post
They look good, but the palette's are so bland.
By bland I assume you meant not saturated enough? So i uped the saturation on everything by about 20 units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab View Post
They mostly look good, but the palletes are a little bland for me, and the roof style for the pokecenter and gym look a little weird for some reason.

On another note, welcome back! I remember you, and the other day I was actully wondering what happened to you, you used to be one of the most popular tile artists on pc, and it's good to see you get back into the game.
Again I'm guessing my saturation was off, and could you elaborate on the roof a bit?

And thanks for the welcome back! Im actually pretty happy to be back, and i hope I can regain that popularity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Sunlight View Post
Where did the black outlines go?
Well I removed them because it seemed to look smoother, but I darkened some of them so what do you think now?

Also, I updated the tiles, I redid most of the pallets and added a few new things and also a few other tweaks were made. So tell me what you think of them.
Old April 24th, 2011, 04:09 PM
TheAngryPidove
Don't Make A Pigeon Angry

I'd never thought I'd say this but it's too saturated. The colors are really dull. They need to be vibrant, bright, to look good.

Supporter of:

Old April 24th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Reck
Supreme Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryPidove View Post
I'd never thought I'd say this but it's too saturated. The colors are really dull. They need to be vibrant, bright, to look good.
Well in particular which ones need adjusted the most?
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:39 AM
helmy96
Now planning a hack, nid help

The outlines still need to be darkened as they blend in too much with the buildings. It should be given a less saturated or bland colour look as the buildings look as if they're sick.... nah messing with ya, just change the tones and it'll be better

Old April 25th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Reck
Supreme Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmy96 View Post
The outlines still need to be darkened as they blend in too much with the buildings. It should be given a less saturated or bland colour look as the buildings look as if they're sick.... nah messing with ya, just change the tones and it'll be better
The none black outlines are meant to make it feel a bit more realistic, but if I get enough complaints I'll probably change it haha, and I'll fix the saturation.

Well I just updated, the saturation was toned down significantly in most things. So hows it look to you all now? Also, I will be very busy the next few days and will likely not update again until Thursdayish, so a lot of comments during the next few days will be greatly appreciated.

Oh BTW thanks for all your support, i don't think I'll be quiting again anytime soon
Old April 25th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryPidove View Post
um, no. These are too unsaturated. Too saturated would be MSPaint default red etc. But yes I agree, these tiles would look a lot better if they were more vibrant, and had darker outlines.

The Pokémon style of tiles are pretty cartoony, hence the dark outlines etc., so if you're trying to emulate the style, you're gonna need to...bring out the colours, and darken them outlines.

The easiest way to do that is by referring to the actual tiles used in the game (I'm not sure what generation you're making these tiles for, but The Spriter's Resource should have at least some tiles from each gen.

But yeah, welcome back to PC Reck, you were quite a popular tile spriter before, and I'm sure the same will happen.
Old April 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Andrew McKenzie
Meh.

Nature: Relaxed
Was wondering if I may use these tiles in a possibly upcoming sprite comic of mine, if I ever get around to actually making it?
Old April 28th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Reck
Supreme Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
um, no. These are too unsaturated. Too saturated would be MSPaint default red etc. But yes I agree, these tiles would look a lot better if they were more vibrant, and had darker outlines.

The Pokémon style of tiles are pretty cartoony, hence the dark outlines etc., so if you're trying to emulate the style, you're gonna need to...bring out the colours, and darken them outlines.

The easiest way to do that is by referring to the actual tiles used in the game (I'm not sure what generation you're making these tiles for, but The Spriter's Resource should have at least some tiles from each gen.

But yeah, welcome back to PC Reck, you were quite a popular tile spriter before, and I'm sure the same will happen.
Well.. I guess i'll do black outlines.. it just makes it so rigid, heres an example of what they be like(there still not completely black just REALLY dark) So what do you think of this one? I'll do the rest once I have more time. Also, I recolored it with in-game colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McKenzie View Post
Was wondering if I may use these tiles in a possibly upcoming sprite comic of mine, if I ever get around to actually making it?
And yeah, sure tell me if you do it cause id like to read it.

Also, does anyone think I should combine the pokecenter and mart like they do in black and white?

Last edited by Reck; April 28th, 2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:58 AM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reck View Post
Well.. I guess i'll do black outlines.. it just makes it so rigid, heres an example of what they be like(there still not completely black just REALLY dark) So what do you think of this one? I'll do the rest once I have more time. Also, I recolored it with in-game colors.

And yeah, sure tell me if you do it cause id like to read it.

Also, does anyone think I should combine the pokecenter and mart like they do in black and white?
well the new recolours of em looks better than the start:D
and yeah you should combine the mart an pokecenter could bee a little interesting to see that:D
Old April 30th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Reck
Supreme Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbuja's_BlooDY View Post
well the new recolours of em looks better than the start:D
and yeah you should combine the mart an pokecenter could bee a little interesting to see that:D
Thanks man and i just did

Check the first post for the update and give me some criticism if you don't mind, everyone. I added dark outlines and a center/mart combo, so post away! lol
Old May 1st, 2011, 03:15 AM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Quote:

man...it looks good really but those white walls should get some ps and mart colour still to give the feeling of an pokecenter
but still it looks very good and all recolours are good too you have improved them very well from the first post you did here
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:41 AM
Reck
Supreme Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbuja's_BlooDY View Post
man...it looks good really but those white walls should get some ps and mart colour still to give the feeling of an pokecenter
but still it looks very good and all recolours are good too you have improved them very well from the first post you did here
Thanks a lot I'm glad I'm able to impress. And I'll fix the walls.

Well, I just updated, and COMPLETELY redid the gym, and actually impressed myself with it. So tell me what you think.
Old May 1st, 2011, 12:22 PM
Nintendoshs
The Absol Master

may I use these for my hack?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old May 1st, 2011, 01:24 PM
Alomar
Follow me on Twitter @Daubs

Nature: Lax
I dig the gym in the top picture, gives off a phenac city like vibe!
Old May 1st, 2011, 04:57 PM
Reck
Supreme Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendoshs View Post
may I use these for my hack?
Yup sure, just make sure to give me credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alomar View Post
I dig the gym in the top picture, gives off a phenac city like vibe!
Thanks.

I just updated with two new tiles. I'm considering redoing all of Kanto. Because I don't know about you all but I absolutely love firered, but hate the fact the graphics are well... sub par. And I think I may redo all of the Kanto region, tiles and all other sprites and import them into firered. What do you all think?
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:27 PM
Alomar
Follow me on Twitter @Daubs

Nature: Lax
Quote:
I just updated with two new tiles. I'm considering redoing all of Kanto. Because I don't know about you all but I absolutely love firered, but hate the fact the graphics are well... sub par. And I think I may redo all of the Kanto region, tiles and all other sprites and import them into firered. What do you all think?
I fully agree, Firered is a great game, which is why im hacking it over ruby, and the tiles are meh at best. i cant stand them so im currently just using the ones off shiny gold, still gives that kanto feel but looks way better.

cant wait to see what you come up with! Ill probably use some of your tiles in my hack hah
Old May 2nd, 2011, 01:50 PM
Reck
Supreme Overlord

Well your welcome to them as long as I get credit.

And I just updated the tiles. I added more grass tiles, ocean, trail, pokemart, and I did a few other edits here and there.

Also, heres the current progress on Pallet Town

Last edited by Reck; May 2nd, 2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:23 PM
Crimson Stardust
Anime Addiction

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Stardust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Crimson Stardust
Quote:

And I just updated the tiles. I added more grass tiles, ocean, trail, pokemart, and I did a few other edits here and there.

Now this is what i call splendid reck..real nice..
I certainly love the their shadows, the building that is, real nice man..
nice..
I love if you use a darker outline for the outlines instead of like some of your other tiles which don't have a dark outline.

Old May 8th, 2011, 07:24 AM
sab
Now too much of a life.

Nature: Timid
Quote:

Most things look great, but the grass looks very blockish. The reason for this is that all the light spots form a column, and the dark spots form a column. You should probably try to scatter the dots around a bit more, or create four tile grass instead of one tile grass. I would suggest doing lighter outlines on the buildings, so that they match those of the trees, and don't look out of place. Lastly the border on the water doesn't look natural. It looks almost more like a pool with dirt edges that has motion. Once again the tiles are great, I just personally think that they need a tad of tweeking.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links