The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 29th, 2011 (09:57 AM).
BlazingVolt646
Beginning Trainer

u could give it easy script inserting function maybe editing as well.
Old November 29th, 2011 (01:13 PM).
demondismon
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Quiet
i think you should also add a function that makes it easy to have a 3 border block in length or width.
Old November 29th, 2011 (02:24 PM).
Lugiaz Soul
I support Crystal Dust

Nature: Naughty
I like it. Its very clean and simple.
Old December 2nd, 2011 (02:29 AM).
ZodiacDaGreat
Working on a Mobile System

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via ICQ to ZodiacDaGreat
Update: Okay, I know this project has been dead for awhile but my summer holidays have started so I'll resume working on this
Old December 21st, 2011 (04:20 AM).
Raikoh Nadanshy
Beginning Trainer

i am exited to see this project finish i wanted to work on a game called pokemon world. They will be every game map and pokemon on a single game. I thought it would be interesting to play in orre region to. I was searching for a editor like that. Keep me refresh about your update okay
Old December 21st, 2011 (08:47 AM).
The Author
The Hero of Knothole Glade

Nature: Quiet
Like as previously said by many people, there's already AdvanceMap.
However, this does seem to be a bit simpler to use, which is why I like it.
It's basically a more user-friendly version of A-map. :cer_smile:
Great job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikoh Nadanshy View Post
i am exited to see this project finish i wanted to work on a game called pokemon world. They will be every game map and pokemon on a single game. I thought it would be interesting to play in orre region to. I was searching for a editor like that. Keep me refresh about your update okay
However much that sounds like a good idea, I regret to inform you that it is very hard to pull off. I had enough mappers want to join my team, so I figured I'd try it out. It's near impossible.

If you're going to do that I suggest saving some money for RMXP or something.
The Musician
The Transcendentalist

The Author
The Philosopher
The Architect
The Psychologist
The Artist
Old December 21st, 2011 (02:22 PM).
Raikoh Nadanshy
Beginning Trainer

I am not the kind of guy to give up so easely and what for the money ? and what a RMXP ?
Old December 31st, 2011 (09:24 PM).
MissDigitalis
Mime Jr.

This is really cool.

But how do you make a whole map from scratch using the editor?

Old December 31st, 2011 (11:58 PM).
ZodiacDaGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikoh Nadanshy
Thank you for your support, yeah I have high hopes for this tool myself :D Hopefully, it won't be that buggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Author
Like as previously said by many people, there's already AdvanceMap.
However, this does seem to be a bit simpler to use, which is why I like it.
It's basically a more user-friendly version of A-map.
Great job!
Thanks, yeah I do hope that this tool has a easier user interface and close to the functionality of AdvanceMap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDigitalis
This is really cool.

But how do you make a whole map from scratch using the editor?
Reversing and through the map structure documentation that is lying around, you take those and mess around a bit in a programming language to get what you want. Of course, source code is also available like that for EliteMap

Anyway, I should post some updates. When I said I continue on this, I actually coded from scratch again because I lost my source code back then when my hard disk crashed and then haven't had time to do much due to Uni.

But now, the progress from last time is back and here are some new stuff I've added:

New properties view: http://i44.tinypic.com/152et52.png
Free space finder: http://i42.tinypic.com/14ihavq.png
Palette sets: http://i39.tinypic.com/34rvtzr.png

I have to say that my day night system is pretty outdated so I'll have to remake it later on as well
Old January 1st, 2012 (06:41 AM).
link12552
just tired, that's all

Nature: Calm
This is looking pretty awesome!

May I ask though, will this by any chance be open-source?

I'm interested in NSE 2.X working as a tile editor, yet I've had problems implementing, or at least finding for that matter the offsets of the tiles...

A simple "Open in NSE" button could be a wonderful addition to this project, as a tile editor, and might take allot of the stress out of the whole import and export thing we've been doing for tile editing.

IDK anyways good luck, this looks really promising :D
Old January 1st, 2012 (01:49 PM).
ZodiacDaGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by link12552
This is looking pretty awesome!

May I ask though, will this by any chance be open-source?

I'm interested in NSE 2.X working as a tile editor, yet I've had problems implementing, or at least finding for that matter the offsets of the tiles...

A simple "Open in NSE" button could be a wonderful addition to this project, as a tile editor, and might take allot of the stress out of the whole import and export thing we've been doing for tile editing.

IDK anyways good luck, this looks really promising
Hehe Thanks so much Your tool sort of inspired me to do this as well For now, I'm not sure if I should make it open source or not, but I do plan to make this tool into a toolchain kinda like EliteMap and add plugins as well :D

Yeah, that would be cool. I could pass the offsets over in the block editor or something.
Old January 1st, 2012 (02:00 PM).
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
I'll be honest here, this kinda does look easier to use than A-Map, but still do we need another GBA map hacking tool ? :/
Old January 1st, 2012 (02:10 PM).
ZodiacDaGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15
I'll be honest here, this kinda does look easier to use than A-Map, but still do we need another GBA map hacking tool ? :/
I have to admit though, this 'may' never be as good as AdvanceMap. It's up to you to use it or not. For me, there's some things I always wanted to change about AdvanceMap and this is how I would do it.
Old January 2nd, 2012 (09:15 AM).
Blubber300
Beginning Trainer

Hey look, Advance Map has a twin brother!
Old January 2nd, 2012 (12:34 PM).
NintendoBoyDX
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodiacDaGreat View Post
I have to admit though, this 'may' never be as good as AdvanceMap. It's up to you to use it or not. For me, there's some things I always wanted to change about AdvanceMap and this is how I would do it.
Hey ZDG, if you wanted to make it better than amap is currently, I have a suggestion for you. Adding the ability to edit new map names in firered.

Jambo details exactly how to do it here:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...80#post6471680

This would save countless repointing and inserting for people later on, imo you should at least consider it.
Old January 2nd, 2012 (12:37 PM).
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoBoyDX View Post
Hey ZDG, if you wanted to make it better than amap is currently, I have a suggestion for you. Adding the ability to edit new map names in firered.

This would save countless repointing and inserting for people later on, imo you should at least consider it.
That. Is a simply GENIUS idea. I would use this over AMap if this was implemented. But I'd use this far more when the ability to add new maps is implemented someday.

You are challenged by Lorekeeper Zinnia!
Pairs | Twitter | Alt | Alt II | PHO
Old January 2nd, 2012 (11:18 PM).
Winter Wonderland
Puts the fun in dysfunctional

What would be cool(although I'm not entirely sure if it's possible) is the ability to load multiple tile sets. Not just a major and minor. Also, the map connections in Advance map 1.92 was annoying to deal with. In 1.95, it was simplified a bit. I was wondering if you could turn it into a drag and drop system. For example, have the initial map on a grid interface, then add a connection to the north. Type in the map header and whatever to load up the map you want to be connected. From there you can just click and drag the map to where you want the two maps to be connected. Does that make sense?

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Robert Frost, Fire and Ice.

Play Me Casually | Project Leola

Old January 2nd, 2012 (11:36 PM).
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Wonderland View Post
What would be cool(although I'm not entirely sure if it's possible) is the ability to load multiple tile sets. Not just a major and minor.
Not possible. Unless the tilesets are changed to be a LOT smaller. But there is a 1024 limit for tiles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Wonderland View Post
Also, the map connections in Advance map 1.92 was annoying to deal with. In 1.95, it was simplified a bit. I was wondering if you could turn it into a drag and drop system. For example, have the initial map on a grid interface, then add a connection to the north. Type in the map header and whatever to load up the map you want to be connected. From there you can just click and drag the map to where you want the two maps to be connected. Does that make sense?
Yes. Good idea.
Old January 4th, 2012 (09:39 PM).
ZodiacDaGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubber300
Hey look, Advance Map has a twin brother!
Well, not really lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoBoyDX

I'll look into it after I get most of the features done and working. Thanks for that information though, seems like I missed quite a bit ever since I was away. Need to catch up now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail
That. Is a simply GENIUS idea. I would use this over AMap if this was implemented. But I'd use this far more when the ability to add new maps is implemented someday.
hehe Let's see how all these turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Wonderland
What would be cool(although I'm not entirely sure if it's possible) is the ability to load multiple tile sets. Not just a major and minor.

Also, the map connections in Advance map 1.92 was annoying to deal with. In 1.95, it was simplified a bit. I was wondering if you could turn it into a drag and drop system. For example, have the initial map on a grid interface, then add a connection to the north. Type in the map header and whatever to load up the map you want to be connected. From there you can just click and drag the map to where you want the two maps to be connected. Does that make sense?
For the first part, Darthatron already answered you. I'll see what I can do for the connections.. Hmm.

Anyway, so I've did some more work.. Borders can be resized in Fire Red & Leaf Green now Since only those 2 versions support larger borders. Here's a screenie.
Old January 6th, 2012 (11:39 AM).
lucexpress
Beginning Trainer

It would be really special if there was new features than advance map
Old January 7th, 2012 (02:03 AM).
ZodiacDaGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucexpress
It would be really special if there was new features than advance map
There will be some unique features.

Anyway, I need everyone's opinion, I know the events are not finished yet but what do you think of using the property grid to edit events? I have a screenshot here.
http://i44.tinypic.com/mkvpsy.png
Old January 7th, 2012 (05:03 AM).
itari
普通の魔法使い
Community Supporter

Quote:
Anyway, I need everyone's opinion, I know the events are not finished yet but what do you think of using the property grid to edit events? I have a screenshot here.
Looks good to me. One question, though. Will you be loading the OW sprites for the events?

SubscriptAdvanced SongType Effectiveness EditorTilemap CreatorPython IPS Patcher
Old January 7th, 2012 (07:16 AM).
link12552
just tired, that's all

Nature: Calm
Quote:
There will be some unique features.

Yeah the property grid would be great for this, especially when it comes to the tons of settable data for the person events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentgeo View Post

Looks good to me. One question, though. Will you be loading the OW sprites for the events?
I'll gladly share my OW loading code for this project, I have them already being loaded using c#,
so it should be as simple as adding the routine to the draw function.

Man it's fun watching a program grow!

P.S. ZodiacDaGreat I have an idea for implementing this with NSE:
you could pass the image offset and the multiple palette offsets of a tileset into NSE, allowing for tile-set editing where you could toggle in between palettes as you edit!

Let me know what you think, or what you think we should do, so I can get coding
Old January 7th, 2012 (07:56 PM).
ZodiacDaGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentgeo
Of course, I would hate looking at those for events XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by link12552
Man it's fun watching a program grow!

P.S. ZodiacDaGreat I have an idea for implementing this with NSE:
you could pass the image offset and the multiple palette offsets of a tileset into NSE, allowing for tile-set editing where you could toggle in between palettes as you edit!

Let me know what you think, or what you think we should do, so I can get coding
It is aye Uhm, for tilesets.. Yeah, I'm not sure if I can pass the entire structure cause that would be better, but I'll just pass the offset of the current tileset to your tool, then you could read the whole structure and then load everything up. It would be cool if you can combine some of my stuff from my Door Manager tool and possible add in support for editing animations, so everything's in one place right?
Old February 14th, 2012 (08:57 PM).
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Back to ideas for movement permissions, I think something where you have a tab for the LEVEL of the tile and another for if it's passable or not.

Here each tile is given a value for its height relative to the map. 1 is for Surfing and 3 is for normal walking, and finally A is given to tiles effected on ALL levels.

Then each tile is either set to "wall" or "not wall". On or Off if you will.

This is how the bits for the movement permission work anyway. The bit0 (lowest bit) is whether it's a wall or not, the bit1 has no effect, and bits 2-7 are the level.

This doesn't really require any workaround. In fact, those image show exactly how the original game would appear using this method.

So... thoughts/comments?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links