The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 1st, 2011, 03:49 PM
Alomar
Follow me on Twitter @Daubs

Nature: Lax
Pokemon Amber Version
In the Region of Eora, a new adventure is about to unfold!

Hack Information
Name: Pokemon Amber
Base Rom: Pokemon Emerald
Language: English

Who am I?
I'm posting this to save time replying to people because I just joined PC. I'm not the type to post on a forum but I've been a constant lurker here for a few years. I've picked up bits and pieces how to make a successful hack since then and now I believe i'm ready to go public and bring you guys some excitement, so here we go.

Storyline:
You are child of mysterious father who throughout your lifetime has rarely been in your life. You grew up without his parenting and just your mothers. Ever since you can remember he has been gone for years; vanished perhaps on an "expedition" years ago. Your older brother, Cain, seems to be following his footsteps vanishing from your life also since he has became a Pokemon Trainer himself. You're 22, freshly graduated from school and finally living on your own.

You live in the vivid Cascade Town, home to the old renowned Trainer and now Professor Alfred Pine. You're asked to become a Trainer yourself, along with your neighbor who's around the same age. Alfred traveled throughout Kanto, Johto and Hoenn in his youth, making your starters all 9 total from Kanto, Johto and Hoenn!

The Trainers of Eora are diligent hard workers and getting to the top and challenging the Elite Four is all that means anything as a Trainer. You decide to follow that path and take the GYM Challenge yourself, as does your neighbor.. And his goal is to beat you.

So now the journey begins as you'll get your first Pokemon from Cascade Town's Professor. And on your adventure you'll never know who you might just run into!

Base Features:
- The Eora Region:
Located between Hoenn and Johto. Home to all 386 national Pokemon, all obtainable.
- An assortment of Rivals:
With a range of different personalities, some who try to help you along the way and some not so much...
- A challenge making it to the Top:
Get ready to work hard for your Gym Badges. Don't take the trainers lightly, or you'll be scurrying to the Pokecenter often.
- New Tiles/ Scripts/ OW's/ Trainer Art/ Maps:
Going by the style of game I want, you wont see maps Gamefreak style, Trainers will have modern influences, Script events fresh, New Everything. In time.
- MISC:
-Night/Day
-Custom TM's
-Changed Evolutions (for traded etc)

-Etc.
Im dubbing this as my spoiled goodies that will surprise you throughout the game.

-Eora's Mt. Battle
-Fishing Contest
-Customizable Personal Island (setmaptile ftw)
-Ability to Cut down special trees for lumber
-Grappling Hook to scale certain mountain ranges
- and more to come!

Team:
Alomar - Mapping/ Scripting/ OW's/ Plot/ Everything.

Screenshots:

Eora Region Map:

Ingame:

Game Status:
Coming Soon

Current Tasks:
Coming Soon

Things I need help with or am working on:
Title Screen - No clue what to do besides orange color theme, no idea what Pokemon to put on front.
Town Map - Done

Credits:
Green Charizard - D/P Center/Mart
874521 - Various D/P tiles

Tools used:
TileMolester Alternate <3
AdvanceMap
A-Text
NSE
Poketscript
UNLZ.GBA
FSF
A-Trainer

Last edited by Alomar; May 23rd, 2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 03:54 PM
Alomar

-Reserved For Town / Leader Background Info-

Cascade Town:
-The hero's hometown, a small town located on top of a waterfall, at the bottom of the Eora Region.

Covert City:
-A median City leading to either Arbor Town or Lendona City. Also has the PKMN Trainer school here.

Lendona City:
-This town resides next to the beach and is home to the first Gym Leader Sierra, who uses the Normal Type. Helios of the E4 also lives here.

Arbor Town:
-A town in a valley located deep in the woods, by passing through Monsoon Forest and passing through Crosscut Bridge. This town is home to the second Gym Leader Chloe, a Grass Type user. This town is also home to the Eora Region Weather Facility.

Last edited by Alomar; May 7th, 2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 03:58 PM
E.C.

Nature: Bold
i like the tiles, very similar to shiny gold, and the story is pretty good, so yeah, keep at it, and hopefully this comes out as good as shiny gold, (just giving inspiration, i have my doubts that it will be as big as shiny gold.)
Old May 2nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
Alomar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ΣŁ1ŦΣ CHΛRIΖΛЯĐ View Post
i like the tiles, very similar to shiny gold, and the story is pretty good, so yeah, keep at it, and hopefully this comes out as good as shiny gold, (just giving inspiration, i have my doubts that it will be as big as shiny gold.)
Thanks haha, we'll see what happens

Last edited by Alomar; May 22nd, 2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:34 PM
kervin9999
"Froslass and Froslad"

Nice hack... Just a suggestion, remove the inappropriate words...
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:44 PM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
I suggest you change the tiles, as you technically do not have permission to use ShinyGold's tiles. Sure, you mentioned them, but you didn't ask Zel and get an answer of yes.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old May 3rd, 2011, 05:08 AM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
Given that the tiles are definitely from ShinyGold and it's improbable that you got permission to use them, I'd be obligated to infract you. Remove the tiles in question, take new screens, and PM me with them. Until then, I'm closing this thread.
Closed~

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old May 5th, 2011, 09:55 AM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
Thread reopened, providing the spriters of the tiles used are fully credited and screenshots are provided in the next 48 hours.
~Opened

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old May 5th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Alomar

Back open

Rival OW and Sprite are done. I enjoy his tanktop/mohawk style.
Old May 5th, 2011, 03:17 PM
PokemasterX
World's Best Beta Tester

can i be a beta tester for your awesome hack.
also if ya want i can give you ideas

If you are not dumb-
click this
Old May 5th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Alomar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemasterX View Post
can i be a beta tester for your awesome hack.
also if ya want i can give you ideas
I'll be releasing a beta after 3 GYM's, so you're welcome to help then.. Until then sorry hah.

and if you have ideas that would fit, feel free to post away and I'll tell you what I think.
Old May 6th, 2011, 03:11 PM
nitox/daubs
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Brave
Hey everyone this is the Nitox mentioned above. I just wanted to let you know that i will be looking at the thread almost daily to see what you think. Also if you have any suggestions don't be afraid to bring them up to both of us. We both think completely different and take things in different ways. Thanks for all the support that you give and know that we care what you think. Hope you enjoy what you see and we hope you look forward to playing our game.
-Nitox
P.S. sorry if there is any poor grammar, writing isn't my strong suit.
Old May 6th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Quilava's Master
Shattered Dreams '13

Nature: Adamant
This looks like a hack of Shiny Gold and hacking a hack is usually a no-no. Even the backsprite is an edit of Zel's Gold backsprite. Other than that the rival looks cool if a little old while the players OW appears shorter than usual heros.
Old May 6th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Alomar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilava's Master View Post
This looks like a hack of Shiny Gold and hacking a hack is usually a no-no. Even the backsprite is an edit of Zel's Gold backsprite. Other than that the rival looks cool if a little old while the players OW appears shorter than usual heros.
Yeah I know it looks like it with the same color palette, but I can assure you this was already settled when my thread was closed that i'm not using shiny gold as a base. i merely like a lot of the style and im working off that. yeah the backsprite is an edit of Gold, but if you read my first post here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alomar View Post
Current Tasks: Started May 1st
Trainer Backsprite (Needs to be updated: See Hero OW)
Hero OW tweaks (Current Hero looks too young, and not the same age as the Rival)
that is not going to be the hero in the end. this is just merely what i had messed around with before I started getting serious with this hack. For the actual backsprite when my new OW is done (which will be completely different) then i will proceed to the backsprite, currently its only 1/5 frames done, the only one being the first frame in the screenshot. the other 4 are the original firered ones lol.

Glad you like the rival, and Im working on making him appear taller, but the mohawk just makes that appearance. any ideas?
Old May 6th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Quilava's Master
Shattered Dreams '13

Nature: Adamant
The rival is fine he just looks older than the hero but since you're changing the hero my comment is moot.
Old May 7th, 2011, 05:38 AM
santyclop
Unhatched Egg

i think this will be fun to play , maybe you could play around with the idea of a time machine later on, and thus give theplayer the ability to catch prehistoric pokemon, idk lol just a thought
Old May 7th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Alomar

Quote:
Originally Posted by santyclop View Post
i think this will be fun to play , maybe you could play around with the idea of a time machine later on, and thus give theplayer the ability to catch prehistoric pokemon, idk lol just a thought
Lol thanks, but i'm keeping my game to the modern/realistic side.

You'll be able to get every fossil don't worry.
Old May 10th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Alomar

Sorry guys, but I won't be posting any update from now till I release a demo in about two weeks tops. Reason being is I have all the mapping down that I need to release a demo, and i'm currently re-rescripting from the beginning up, alot of things are bothering me that I want to change. after that's done, all I need to do is the titlescreen and hero sprites and fixing up the world map.

So check in on this in a week or two for a demo. ;]
(more screens and old ones updated will come then also)
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Alomar

Can I get this switched to an Emerald ROM hack instead of FireRed? no need to close this but i'm switching to Emerald as it has more to offer in the long run, mine as well do it now and not regret it later.
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:42 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alomar View Post
Can I get this switched to an Emerald ROM hack instead of FireRed? no need to close this but i'm switching to Emerald as it has more to offer in the long run, mine as well do it now and not regret it later.
Anything for a fellow Emerald hacker. Consider it done. :)

Brother of Vrai
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Alomar

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcolstyles View Post
Anything for a fellow Emerald hacker. Consider it done.
Thank you kindly, sir.
And will i need new screens since in theory its a different hack? If so thats fine just give me like 24-48 hours.. maybe till through the weekend would be awesome if that's alright... Only finished converting about half of my tiles from FR to Emerald and that took a good 4 hours.. Plus a track meet tomorrow makes tomorrow useless, so i need some time to get to scripting etc for screens.

Last edited by Alomar; May 11th, 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old May 14th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Alomar

Hey guys, some updates to post..
-Hero OW done
-Now choose from all 9 starters, and rival randomly chooses 1 of the 3 good against it.
-Now in Emerald.

And ill throw screenies in the spoiler and update the first post when I get back home in a few hours.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Alomar; May 14th, 2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Alomar

I switched from Emerald to Ruby, based on that I don't want to deal with all the glitches Emerald so easily gives. I've also recently had an idea for getting your starter.

Normally you get it from a PROF. since your 10 etc etc

Well in Amber your 22.. You already have your Pokemon by now but! Based on your personality you'll get one of the 9 starters or Eevee if all else fails. There will be a Pokeball in your house when activated asks you some simple questions and that will determine your starter reflecting yourself. and of course if you dont like the result you can retry. thoughts on this? Ive just begun scripting it but ill be done and have screens to show tomorrow. for now i gotta peace and goto open gym to ball it up.
Old May 16th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Brane
-

Well I'll give you a brief review based on the progress I've seen so far.

I understand you have a whole lot of background placed for the main character of the game, but I also understand that most of what you said doesn't tie in to the main part of the hack? It sounds like another heaps of this and that fight gym leaders and rivals type of hack. What's supposed to be the exciting encounters in the game that you are speaking about? At the moment I don't expect any mind blowing events.

Also, your features are plain and usually what's expected in every hack these days. New tiles, maps, sprites, gym leaders, rivals, enemy teams etc. Is there anything special you plan on working with to make this a fan favourite? Because at the moment I'm guessing this hacks reputation is going to be based entirely on graphics, which also aren't that great at the moment.

I expect these 'curve balls' to be that amazing they spark some interest in this hack.

Don't take this as a rage, this is constructive criticism and I hope you work on the points I raised.

Good luck on your future endeavors.
Old May 17th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Chiar

Quote:
I switched from Emerald to Ruby, based on that I don't want to deal with all the glitches Emerald so easily gives. I've also recently had an idea for getting your starter.
Hey, Emerald isn't unstable. It hasn't got more glitches than Ruby. The only I know are some scripting problems and music corruption, both of which can be easily fixed.
I was actually really happy that this hack will be based on Emerald, but Ruby is a way less attarctive base..

Last edited by Chiar; May 17th, 2011 at 01:07 AM.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links