Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

View Poll Results: Is the white 3Ds XL too noticeable when playing the game?
Yes, incredibly. You should go for a black screen. 1 6.25%
Yeah, you should probably go for something else. 6 37.50%
Nah, it's fine. 9 56.25%
WHA- The white version is the best! 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 24th, 2013 (07:44 AM).
machomuu
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by CliCliW:
Hi!

I just want to ask about the 3DS Wifi features and playing ordinary DS games.

My 3DS is set onto the Wifi we have. When I open my DS game will I need to configure the WFC, etc. settings in order to activate wireless features or can I use my 3DS wifi settings to bypass those details? I don't have a WEP key or whatever for the DS settings and I want to be able to use the WFC and internet for games like Animal Crossing and Dragonquest IX.

I hope that wasn't too confusing. Sorry for sounding like a total noob - technology confuses me sometimes..

thanks in advance!! :)
Sadly, the 3DS goes into DS mode when it emulates DS games, and it even uses the DS Wireless Connection when playing DS games. This means that it's still WEP only for DS games, sorry :(
Old June 26th, 2013 (04:30 AM).
Nuke

Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
This is more a matter of personal opinion than a specific help question, but I don't feel it merits a thread.

Basically I've recently linked my PS2 back up to see if it works as I plan to purchase Final Fantasy X, I could also buy XII is it worth it?
Old June 26th, 2013 (06:55 PM).
Razgriz
Acetaminophen

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Razgriz
Soooo... whatddup peps... here's the deal, I have a ps2... LOL

Getting serious, I have had a PS2 for about 7 seven years now and it's asking me to quit it and buy a new console.
I had the chance several times to play with the PS3 along with friends and also alone. I've played games that are AMAZING like MGS, AC, GT5, GTA, etc. The thing is that I have been avoiding the PS3 for so many years, not because I don't like it, but because I had my ps2, and everytime I had the chance to get one I'd always get something else instead of it. Now the moment of truth have come. PS3 or PS4?

The one-million dollar question is... should I get a PS3 now, having such a large and interesting catalog although without so many online servers online, or should I wait a few more months and get a PS4?
I know there are several INCREDIBLE games that are still coming for the PS3 and to be honest, I still find the PS3 incredibly attractive when it comes to games. So one of the main reasons I'm thinking stuff over and over again is because, let's face it, I'm 21 (22 this year) and I barely have time for gaming, probably that's why I had my PS2 for so long, and having such an extense library of games for the PS3 to play, I doubt I'll get bored or regret any buy. Get me?
Why the PS4? well... duh! It's the PS4 dude, new games, new graphics, new technology.

Recommendations? thaaaaaanks!
To forget your love
Credits to Flushed for the amazing sig!
Old June 29th, 2013 (02:37 PM).
TheBigMan0706
UMAD?

Nature: Lax
This forum is a question about Maplestory. I have it downloaded on my PC (Via Steam). I want to play it, but i don't want to wait for steam to take an eternity to download the update even though the game patches itself. The question is, should i uninstall the Steam version of Maplestory and download the version from Nexon's site?

who knew?

I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old July 2nd, 2013 (02:30 PM).
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Chaval:
Soooo... whatddup peps... here's the deal, I have a ps2... LOL

Getting serious, I have had a PS2 for about 7 seven years now and it's asking me to quit it and buy a new console.
I had the chance several times to play with the PS3 along with friends and also alone. I've played games that are AMAZING like MGS, AC, GT5, GTA, etc. The thing is that I have been avoiding the PS3 for so many years, not because I don't like it, but because I had my ps2, and everytime I had the chance to get one I'd always get something else instead of it. Now the moment of truth have come. PS3 or PS4?

The one-million dollar question is... should I get a PS3 now, having such a large and interesting catalog although without so many online servers online, or should I wait a few more months and get a PS4?
I know there are several INCREDIBLE games that are still coming for the PS3 and to be honest, I still find the PS3 incredibly attractive when it comes to games. So one of the main reasons I'm thinking stuff over and over again is because, let's face it, I'm 21 (22 this year) and I barely have time for gaming, probably that's why I had my PS2 for so long, and having such an extense library of games for the PS3 to play, I doubt I'll get bored or regret any buy. Get me?
Why the PS4? well... duh! It's the PS4 dude, new games, new graphics, new technology.

Recommendations? thaaaaaanks!

Well, I think that if you get a PS3 now, you'll be able to get a special offer from, say, Gamestop, to trade in that PS3 for a PS4 for a special price, just in case you're thinking of grabbing a PS4 later. Well, that's one option if you're thinking of getting a PS3 first. They've had that promotion when they started to sell the Wii U - you can trade a Wii for a Wii U, and get a about a special 40- 50% (I forgot the amount) credit bonus towards it.

Then again.. the PS4 isn't backwards compatible, iirc (Well, I think GamesRadar will compensate that, but still). But, there are great games coming out, like, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III, and The Elder Scrolls Online if you're into all that! Personally, I'd hold off to buy a PS4 when it comes out, but, that's in my opinion.

Quote originally posted by TheBigMan0706:
This forum is a question about Maplestory. I have it downloaded on my PC (Via Steam). I want to play it, but i don't want to wait for steam to take an eternity to download the update even though the game patches itself. The question is, should i uninstall the Steam version of Maplestory and download the version from Nexon's site?
Well, if you want to take account for speed, then, I'd say by all means, go for the speed. But, this is really up to you.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old July 2nd, 2013 (04:18 PM).
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Chaval: It really depends on what kinds of games you want to play and how fast you are going to be playing through them.

Quote originally posted by machomuu:
Sadly, the 3DS goes into DS mode when it emulates DS games, and it even uses the DS Wireless Connection when playing DS games. This means that it's still WEP only for DS games, sorry :(
Thing is, it emulates the DSi software, and most DS games released after 2008 will be able to connect to the internet via WPA, since the DSi could do that and most games were programmed with that functionality after that point.
Old July 2nd, 2013 (04:21 PM).
Spinosaurus

I don't even like the PS3 much (dislike it, even) compared to the PS2 and PS1 but I still say go for it. The system is at its best right now. PS4 can wait, because the launch line up is pretty terrible atm. NEVER buy a system at launch year, imo.

I recommend:
Last of Us (haven't played it, yet. But word of mouth says it's GOTY contender.)
Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale (a SSB rip off, but a good one. If you look past its flaws it's a great game. Just don't expect it to be Smash Bros great.)
Uncharted series (Self-explanatory)
inFamous 2 (I personally liked it because the controls and abilities but it also bore me because I just generally don't like them. If you do, this game is amazing.)
Little Big Planet 2 (hated it, but a lot of people love it...but they ain't platformer fans. Avoid otherwise if you are.)
Metal Gear Rising (multi-plat I know but it's so good and the PS3 version is the best one.)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (see above...though the Wii U version is the best, but you probably don't have it. Avoid if you don't like complex fighting games)
Any PS2 HD trilogy that isn't Silent Hill (MGS is the best one imo.)
Ratchet and Clank Crack in Time (didn't play it but word of mouth says it's the best PS3 platformer)
MLB 13 The Show (don't mind me just the baseball fan in me forcing me to recommend it)

Just off the top of my head.
Old July 3rd, 2013 (06:43 AM).
CliCliW
I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.

Nature: Bashful
Quote originally posted by machomuu:
Sadly, the 3DS goes into DS mode when it emulates DS games, and it even uses the DS Wireless Connection when playing DS games. This means that it's still WEP only for DS games, sorry
Quote originally posted by donavannj:

Thing is, it emulates the DSi software, and most DS games released after 2008 will be able to connect to the internet via WPA, since the DSi could do that and most games were programmed with that functionality after that point.
So while I can connect to dreamworld while playing White, That's pretty much all I can do internet wise unless I find a WEP. Silly Nintendo. Thanks anyway

Deceased:

Old July 5th, 2013 (07:15 AM).
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote originally posted by CliCliW:
So while I can connect to dreamworld while playing White, That's pretty much all I can do internet wise unless I find a WEP. :( Silly Nintendo. Thanks anyway :)
You can connect to the Dream World and trade with others... but you may encounter issues trading over WiFi with someone who's using a DS Lite or the original DS. I've not personally experienced any issues with this myself, but there are others who have had issues.

Older Pokemon games may indeed have issues, though.
Old July 26th, 2013 (10:57 AM).
White Glint
Anatolia's Ace

Nature: Bashful
Quote originally posted by Nuke:
This is more a matter of personal opinion than a specific help question, but I don't feel it merits a thread.

Basically I've recently linked my PS2 back up to see if it works as I plan to purchase Final Fantasy X, I could also buy XII is it worth it?
Well, they both play different as all hell...X is just great IMO, XII was good, but a lot different. But it has a lot more to do. So getting both wouldn't be a bad idea. Just be prepared for an entirely different feel of game when you play XII straight from X (Turn Based VS. MMO Styled)

I'd get into softmodding to play international editions, but...yeah nah.

"You are trespassing on Line Ark territory. Pull back immediately...or we will respond with lethal force."
Got a Facebook? Come say hi!
Twitter is also welcome. Note: Probably more vulgar, NFSW, and Fighting Game related!

Old July 26th, 2013 (01:39 PM).
Cassino
.303 British

Nature: Serious
Quote originally posted by TheBigMan0706:
Steam is only an added inconvenience when the game doesn't use its updating system. I'd recommend installing the non-steam version, then adding a shortcut to it in Steam (Add a Game... → Add a Non-Steam Game...) so you can use the in-game chat and whatnot.
Old July 30th, 2013 (09:51 PM).
Ebeui

Nature: Naughty
Hey guys, I'm hoping somebody could give me a hand troubleshooting my 3DS XL. So I recently upgraded from a 3DS to the XL version. I used the system transfer feature to transport all of my information over. I thought it went quite well, transferring all my saves and settings, including my Mii plaza and streetpass info. The thing is, the streetpass feature is no longer working properly. I've noticed that the green light will come on, indicating that I have streetpassed somebody, but when I go to check, it says that nobody has been street passed. I tested it with my girlfriend, who I have streetpassed many times. The light came on, but when I went in, it said it had been over a month since our last streetpass. All the settings seem fine. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Old July 31st, 2013 (03:59 AM).
Tsutarja

Nature: Jolly
Have you checked and made sure that your 3DS system software is up to date? You can do so by going to System Settings > Other Settings > #4 > System Update, and download the update if it asks you to. I know for a fact that the MiiPlaza recently received an upgrade, and it's almost like an overhaul, so be sure you follow those steps provided and see if StreetPass works again.
Old August 3rd, 2013 (08:36 AM).
ppooookkkkkkk
Banned

Nature: Gentle
A friend has gifted me a $50 psn card I'm so excited to buy any new game on the vita, but I'm stuck on which game to bu? I'm thinking of huying Pas:br, on the other hand gravity rush which looks very fun, also thinking of buying lbp vita as all of my near recommends me too buy one. Help!
Old August 3rd, 2013 (08:42 AM).
Aeroblast
Community Supporter

Get PS Plus subscription. Instant game collection is probably the best service Sony could offer. (Gravity Rush is also in IGC)

WHIRL ISLANDS' FINEST (PKMN SHOP)
MY TRADE REVIEW THREAD
XY/ORAS FRIEND CODE: 3969-4824-9126

Old August 3rd, 2013 (11:26 PM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by Seattle:
Get PS Plus subscription. Instant game collection is probably the best service Sony could offer. (Gravity Rush is also in IGC)
Absolutely agree. With 50$ to spend, it's absolutely best to buy a PS+ =)
And I agree with Gravity Rush It's truly one of the most awesome games on Vita =)

@pok(abr.): By having PS+ you will get many games for free. It's really fantastic =)
And for the rest you can buy yourself a game you want Or you can buy add-ons for Gravity Rush to have 100% trophy collection :D

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old August 15th, 2013 (04:05 AM). Edited August 15th, 2013 by KingCharizard.
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
HD PVR, I've been wondering lately if I should get one or not, I've been wanting to start a YouTube channel for a long time. I just never had the proper equipment such as the HD PVR, HDTV, Mic. So my question to you guys is do you think I should get an HD PVR I would replace my turtle beach x12's so I could record Live commentary as I play. I also have GameFly so I play alot of games.

However I don't have an HDTV, all game play will be recorded on an SDTV. I do want high quality videos and easy cap/dazzle wont cut it even with my S-Video cable from what i seen on YouTube I'd have to do way to many adjustments to get it to look half decent.

So what you guys think, should I get an HD PVR?

Oh I forgot to mention this would be for the xbox360
Old August 15th, 2013 (06:48 AM).
Razer302
Three Days Grace - Break

Nature: Quiet
I have a HDPVR, had it for over 2 years and unless your really dedicated it isn't worth it. I only used to use it for montages and my personal life got far to busy now I have barely any time to play at all and really wasn't worth it. If your pationate though should pick it up and give it a go.
Old August 15th, 2013 (07:18 AM).
Slayer1986

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by KingCharizard:
HD PVR, I've been wondering lately if I should get one or not, I've been wanting to start a YouTube channel for a long time. I just never had the proper equipment such as the HD PVR, HDTV, Mic. So my question to you guys is do you think I should get an HD PVR I would replace my turtle beach x12's so I could record Live commentary as I play. I also have GameFly so I play alot of games.

However I don't have an HDTV, all game play will be recorded on an SDTV. I do want high quality videos and easy cap/dazzle wont cut it even with my S-Video cable from what i seen on YouTube I'd have to do way to many adjustments to get it to look half decent.

If you're gonna buy an HD PVR, you need to know for yourself that REALLY want to do this. Do not waste money on something you're not gonna use. As for HD, I still think it's gonna be in 480i. It's unfortunate you don't use scart (red, white, yellow), that seems to work for anyone. As for recording, the cheapest way is to simply plug in your headphones (which are not bad BTW so don't replace them), and then use any free program to record your voice. I recommend Sony Vegas to splice together video/audio and your voice, aswell as rendering the video before uploading.
Old August 15th, 2013 (07:40 AM).
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Quote originally posted by KingCharizard:

I have the HDPVR Game Edition and, before my computer got stupid, It was a wonderful thing. Far better than the Dazzle.

I would recommend it. However, I know nothing of S-Video cables as I used HDMI cables and the HDPVR Game Edition came with 3.

Overall, I think it's a wonderful device and I would highly recommend it.
Old August 16th, 2013 (09:16 AM).
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
Thanks so much guys...

I got another question for you guys? do you think videos with intro's are more from kids, or is it a professional thing, because I've seen ppl with no intros wit more than 100,000 subs.. If i made an intro it would be simple but as I think more on the idea I think intro's are to establish a brand... My gamertag is the same as my youtube channel I also own HippoZoned.com so I wanna establish a brand but i wanna get supporters first so what do you guys think too soon for something like this

Old August 16th, 2013 (09:55 AM). Edited August 16th, 2013 by Apple Juice.
Apple Juice
who are you
Community Supporter Tier 3

Send a message via Skype™ to Apple Juice
I think a short and sweet intro that establishes a brand like you said is completely fine and adding it is no harm done. You may be worried because there have been many cases of overly long intros that deter the quality of a video, but the one you showcased in your post is fine to me. Adding it wouldn't take away any quality from your videos and it would make your channel's name more well known. Basically all positives, haha.

Also, if you have any further questions about your YouTube channel that might not directly be related to Video Gaming, check out the Technology & Internet section as it's more suited for this type of thing.

LP/Guide/Review of the Week! - create one now and it could be featured!
shawn , janna , dave // credit
Old August 16th, 2013 (10:01 AM).
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Quote originally posted by Apple Juice:
I think a short and sweet intro that establishes a brand like you said is completely fine and adding it is no harm done. You may be worried because there have been many cases of overly long intros that deter the quality of a video, but the one you showcased in your post is fine to me. Adding it wouldn't take away any quality from your videos and it would make your channel's name more well known. Basically all positives, haha.

If you add intros it shows your putting much more effort to your videos. And that guarders respect. But as Apple has stated, keep it brief. F'n DBZAnto (Who I hate with a burning passion) needs to tone his egotistical intro down. *Spits on his channel*
Old August 20th, 2013 (08:28 AM).
AdmiralMcmuffin
Fong

Nature: Timid
Guys, I'm in a rut... Next Gen is fast approaching and I can't decide which to buy. Should I buy an xbox One(I am a huge Fable and Halo fan) OR should I get a Playstation 4(I am a huge sucker for sony exclusives like Jak and Sly and stuff) What do you all think I should do now?
Old August 20th, 2013 (08:48 AM).
Apple Juice
who are you
Community Supporter Tier 3

Send a message via Skype™ to Apple Juice
Quote originally posted by AdmiralMcmuffin:
Guys, I'm in a rut... Next Gen is fast approaching and I can't decide which to buy. Should I buy an xbox One(I am a huge Fable and Halo fan) OR should I get a Playstation 4(I am a huge sucker for sony exclusives like Jak and Sly and stuff) What do you all think I should do now?
Xbox One has been negatively received by critics and fans alike, while the Playstation 4 is more on the positive side. Like most console decisions, it comes down to personal preference, but even if you do like the Xbox exclusives, the One is looking to be a bust, and for the safer choice I'd go with PS4.

One of the biggest problems with One is that you can't play 360 games off of it, and that in itself is a dealbreaker for me. We've seen it in consoles before though, so it shouldn't be much of a problem? You're right, but Microsoft wasn't done there. Along with that, you aren't allowed to share games with your friends. Once you use it on your console, you can't use it anywhere else!

I'm not going to bore you with the whole deal, as there is a ton more about One that has disgusted fans of previous Xbox models, and I'd suggest looking up some comparison articles if you need to go more in depth. How it looks right now, though, is a whopping advantage to PS4.

LP/Guide/Review of the Week! - create one now and it could be featured!
shawn , janna , dave // credit
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links