The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups

Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 30th, 2011 (06:58 PM).
twistedpuppy
Siriusly Twisted

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
I have a question. Are any of you bothered by the use of the term "gay" to express disapproval. Example: "That's so gay."?

I'm not. I actually don't think that people should have to filter their language if they clearly didn't mean for it to be an attack on a group of people. I think that people need to lighten up and drop this whole politically correct nonsense where people can't speak their minds because it might offend someone.

There's a clear difference is using slurs to put down a homosexual and saying that something they disapprove of is "gay."

Remember, that word actually means happy, so technically, using it to mean homosexual is also an incorrect usage of the word.
It is a little offensive & I understand some people aren't doing it of hate, but like Raichu said there are so many other out there you can use out there to describe your disapproval over something. Think about it this way, people don't say that's so black to say they disapprove of something or think it's stupid.
Old June 30th, 2011 (08:10 PM).
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedpuppy View Post

It is a little offensive & I understand some people aren't doing it of hate, but like Raichu said there are so many other out there you can use out there to describe your disapproval over something. Think about it this way, people don't say that's so black to say they disapprove of something or think it's stupid.
Black is actually often used to define something dark. I understand why some in the LGBT community might find it offensive. I guess because I grew up around racist jokes and toilet humor, I've been desensitized to such things.
Old July 1st, 2011 (01:01 AM).
Mirby
Former IRC Maid

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to Mirby Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mirby Send a message via Yahoo to Mirby Send a message via Skype™ to Mirby
Count me in. ^.^ It'll be a blast, I'm sure.

As for why I'm joining, I'm transgender. ^.^
Old July 1st, 2011 (02:59 AM).
Renii
Se(Renii)ty

I can't really relate to such a situation. It's because the language commonly used where I live is not English, and the way people talk in similar situations is different.
I know words like gay, fag, and their translations in my native language are used as insults. Not only that but words like hijra and chakka (don't know the exact translation, something like a transgendered person) are used as insults in general and as personal attacks against homosexual people.

If I had encountered a situation like that, I would've probably not cared much. It still bugs me why someone should use the word "gay" and not just call it "lame"
Old July 1st, 2011 (04:12 PM).
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
I have another question for everybody. Well, the allies won't be able to answer this question but their thoughts are always appreciated

We all say that we didn't choose to be gay/bi/whatever, and this is absolutely true. But if science were to come out with a 'cure' for all minority sexualities and could make you straight, would you be interested? Would you choose to be straight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirby View Post
Count me in. ^.^ It'll be a blast, I'm sure.

As for why I'm joining, I'm transgender. ^.^
Welcome aboard, Mirby! We look forward to hearing what you have to say!

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old July 1st, 2011 (06:18 PM).
Esper

If science were to come out with a 'cure' for all minority sexualities and could make you straight, would you be interested? Would you choose to be straight?

Short question getting a long answer.

A cure? Like, could it make transgendered people the right gender? That would be a dream. Obviously that's not quite what you're asking. I suppose for me it would something like, if I could change how I felt so that inside I feel like what I was born on the outside and in that case..... I don't know. In a lot of ways I feel like I'd be giving up by doing something like that, but I also think it would be really nice to feel 'at home' all the time. I'm not really sure how that would affect my thinking and personality though, since I feel like being transgendered is a bigger part of what makes me me than being gay is for someone who is gay. Like, it would be asking too much of me. So, yeah, now that I've said all that I can see it would probably be too much of a sacrifice and I don't think I'd be interested.

And if we're talking about a different pill or something else that would just make me sexually attracted to 'the opposite sex' I absolutely would not. Right now I feel like I have in some way 'gotten past' the idea of attraction based solely on gender. I can see from several people I know (gay and straight) that they've had some problems because of their sexuality in the sense that it got them into trouble, like when a friend had sex with his ex boyfriend over the weekend even though he would not normally do that. He'd gotten a little high (thanks to no one telling him there was 'special' chocolate at a party) and one thing led to another. That's the kind of thing I don't want to have to deal with. I like feeling like I've got a certain level of control over my sexuality and I feel like I'd loose that if I were gay, bi, or straight. Not that I think anyone who is gay, bi, or straight can't control themselves. I just like being attracted to things besides a person's gender.

And I'd take issue with what you said about 'absolutely true' but there's already a thread for that.

deviantart blog pair
Old July 2nd, 2011 (06:57 AM).
Renii
Se(Renii)ty

We all say that we didn't choose to be gay/bi/whatever, and this is absolutely true. But if science were to come out with a 'cure' for all minority sexualities and could make you straight, would you be interested? Would you choose to be straight?

I'm happy the way I am. Bisexuality is not just my sexual orientation but also a part of my personality.
Dealing with all the problems related to LGBT people has taught me a few things; I don't think I would like to be straight now.
Old July 2nd, 2011 (08:41 AM).
Ctrl.Alt.Geak
Swords Master

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post

Thats something I really wouldnt want to take part in. I'm pretty accepting of that part of myself now. I tried "being straight" when I was in highschool and I didnt like it. Also everyone I know expects certain things of straight people that I just dont want for myself (getting married, having children and raising a family being the major things).
Of course if someone wanted this 'cure' for themselves I wouldnt look down on them for it, but just personally I dont.

Old July 2nd, 2011 (08:41 AM).
Kiyoshi the Polar Bear
Figuratively Speaking

Nature: Quirky

Ignoring the fact that it has been tested and proven that this 'cure' is an idea formulated in complete and utter stupidity and ignorance by the minds of bigots, with its results being potentially psychologically harmful and not to mention usually having inhumane methodology, and sought out by confused and uneducated people,

....no, wait, scratch that, don't ignore that point. One has to accept oneself in order to become not only comfortable, but stronger in a sense.

BUT OKAY I'LL PLAY ALONG.

No. I wouldn't.
I'm perfectly comfortable that I'll end up with a dude.

Being homosexual isn't apart of my personality, and being so has made me more accepting of myself and other people, and more intelligent because of the internal struggles I faced.

So, in a way, it's a gift.
God really did make me this way for a reason, and I, instead of freaking out and looking for a 'cure' like it's a disease or something, came to grips with it and became a stronger person because of it.

Besides, I don't think me and a dudette would work out either. Nope.
Old July 2nd, 2011 (08:54 AM).
twistedpuppy
Siriusly Twisted

Nature: Timid
If science were to come out with a 'cure' for all minority sexualities and could make you straight, would you be interested? Would you choose to be straight?

No. A cure is supposed to relieve someone of an ailment. My sexuality isn't causing serious harm to my health. I honestly can't imagine seeing myself as anything other than being gay. I've tried to be straight in the hopes that I could lead a "normal" life and that actually caused harm to my mental health. I have many insecurities, but I feel comfortable with my sexuality.
Old July 3rd, 2011 (02:55 AM). Edited July 3rd, 2011 by JimJams.
JimJams
Giggles at the Ghosties

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to JimJams
Ok fine, I'll join.

I'm transgender, panromantic and demisexual.

Old July 5th, 2011 (02:41 AM).
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Great to have you on board JimJams! Welcome! If you wanna go back through the pages and see some of the questions people have asked and answer them, we'd love to hear what you have to say on our assorted topics!

Old July 5th, 2011 (05:52 AM).
Kiyoshi the Polar Bear
Figuratively Speaking

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJams View Post
Ok fine, I'll join. :P

WOAH, PULLING OUT THE VOCABULARY GUNS.

Hm, you've actually very much educated me right there. I didn't even know there was a conterpart to pansexual.

Well it's nice to have you!
Old July 5th, 2011 (11:09 AM).
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJams View Post
Ok fine, I'll join. :P

Demisexual is a new word for me, though the concept isn't. Gonna have to update my vocabulary.

In other news, the some people in the world are still getting things wrong. At an HIV/AIDS conference India's health minister called homosexuality a 'disease' from the West. Read here or here.

deviantart blog pair
Old July 5th, 2011 (03:53 PM).
aRedMoon
Wait for me outside the lines
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to aRedMoon Send a message via Skype™ to aRedMoon
Hmm, I had never heard of demisexual either. Reading that, it describes one of my friends pretty well.

/forward link

june 10, 2003 = registered at old pc
march 24, 2004 = registered at new pc
june, 2004 = modded ;;; august, 2004 = quit/fired (point of debate)
december, 2004 = banned ;;; december 2, 2005 = unbanned
june 10, 2008 = omg... five years!
june 10, 2012 = countdown to nine years on pc...
Old July 5th, 2011 (04:45 PM).
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Demisexual is a new word for me, though the concept isn't. Gonna have to update my vocabulary.

In other news, the some people in the world are still getting things wrong. At an HIV/AIDS conference India's health minister called homosexuality a 'disease' from the West. Read here or here.
Homosexuality? A Disease? I think not. But, that's the way they see the world, and it would be difficult to prove them otherwise.

You are challenged by Lorekeeper Zinnia!
Pairs | Twitter | Alt | Alt II | PHO
Old July 5th, 2011 (09:16 PM). Edited July 5th, 2011 by Renii.
Renii
Se(Renii)ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post

Wtf is this? I don't even.

I feel so proud of being an Indian right now.

What's funny is that I didn't know about this until I read the article!
Old July 5th, 2011 (11:05 PM).
RHIOneAlbum
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Serious
Send a message via AIM to RHIOneAlbum
You added asexuals :3
I'm in just for not forgetting us xD
Plus why not join
Old July 5th, 2011 (11:21 PM).
Ursula
have we got a deal?
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to Ursula Send a message via Skype™ to Ursula
In regards to the previous question, while it'd be an easy way to escape torment/make life easier...I like being who I am.
Old July 6th, 2011 (12:23 AM).
Jubilation
lesbihonest

Wait, what is demisexual? I've never heard of it.
Old July 6th, 2011 (01:48 AM).
Renii
Se(Renii)ty

JimJams included links to definitions of the meanings of the words.
Old July 6th, 2011 (04:36 AM).
JimJams
Giggles at the Ghosties

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to JimJams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyoshi the Polar Bear View Post

WOAH, PULLING OUT THE VOCABULARY GUNS.

Hm, you've actually very much educated me right there. I didn't even know there was a conterpart to pansexual.

Well it's nice to have you!
Cool! xD Thanks.

I've been on AVEN a lot for the last..like two years. So I've gotten used to everyone using all kinds of words you rarely see anywhere else. :v So I think I'll be doing a lot of educating just talking about stuff here. XD

Old July 6th, 2011 (06:45 AM). Edited July 6th, 2011 by G.U.Y..
G.U.Y.
Bubblegum Betch
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive
This club is still alive! o:

Everyone feel free to welcome Erik Destler as a new Co-Owner, as he was the creator of the social group!

Thanks to Alternative for updating the thread while I was gone.

And I have some news-

Gay Headlines (July 6th, 2011)

♫ Sold my soul and yes the truth hurt ♪
Old July 6th, 2011 (07:02 AM).
NurseBarbra
くら くら?
Community Supporter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NurseBarbra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landorus View Post
“If there’s any possible way to not do it legally, then yes, I would not want to put my name on any of those certificates or papers,” MacEwen told POLITICO. “That’s their life, they can do it, but I don’t feel I should be forced into something that’s against my morals and my God.”
But... It's her JOB. Her Morals and God have NOTHING to do with her Job (unless she was a nun). Just saying...
Old July 6th, 2011 (07:02 AM).
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landorus View Post
This club is still alive! o:

Everyone feel free to welcome Erik Destler as a new Co-Owner, as he was the creator of the social group!

Thanks to Abnegation for updating the thread while I was gone.

And I have some news-

Gay Headlines (July 6th, 2011)
1. Alternative updated the thread, not Abnegation

2. Welcome to co-ownership, Erik!

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links